Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

is there a TLDR on the last couple of years somewhere?

alternately: drat it bootcha

If you condense the last two years of SC in TLDR form they are getting prepared to build the tools to create the tier zero of the T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThunderousImpeccableLhasaapso-mobile.mp4

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

cmdrk posted:

Darkfall ?

Oh that’s the fucker. Thank you. Jesus Christ that was a laugh riot.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

That's also what the original idea for New World was until someone realized that mainstream mmos need safe pve zones for the carebears or your mmo will fail.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Catte friends are the best friends.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

a cyberpunk goose posted:

star citizen could learn a lot from the now-defunct obscure MMO "Face of Mankind"

:words:

drat, now I'm sad I missed this. That looks like it'd totally have been my jam for a while. I'm absolutely amazed it never showed up on my radar, how poo poo can their marketing have been, considering I live and breathe by gaming news?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol, which of you guys?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Goon/Bootcha connection to FoMK:

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ago early in the "We only have a forum and some screenshots" era of FoMK, I was the fiction sub-forum moderator. And during that time, myself and two other Eve Online fiction writers (theDeviant and Istvaan Shogaastu of old Guiding Hand Social Club fame) were writing some cross-national lore for FoMK. Shards of the Whole I think the series was called. I think we maybe wrote six stories in all for that series. Hell if I know if any of that world building we did made it into the game proper, because we bounced off that early pre-alpha no-software waiting pretty hard after 6 months. Small story I wrote pre-moderation was a story about a corner doing some tech body mod salvaging.

I haven't thought of FoMK for ages. I'm glad the software finally made it out, but by that time I was still in my early 20's and bouncing between creative projects and obsessions.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

monocle cat posted:

an AI that can approximate passing a Turing Test

Yes, a totally normal requirement for video game development, not at all a red flag.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
lovely video about bartenders in SC posted at refunds sub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I79rnabAAuU

how can someone look at this or T-posing NPCs and think that CIG will soon develop strong AI

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Mirificus posted:

---stimpire.txt---

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol, Microsoft acquired Activision Blizzard
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lol, did they get a discount with all that harassment shitstorm going on or something?

...is this good news for star citizen? of course it is! somehow

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

commando in tophat posted:

Of course it is. If a lovely uninnovative company as actiblizz is worth 70B, that means that future-of-the-industry CIG is worth at least 700B. This deal will clearly attract more investors.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Hmmm yes, just going to casually have "true AI" in my vidja game that could pass the Turing test so it can make sentences about space. This is an easy feat for genius extraordinaire Chris Roberts when compared to the paltry attempts by academic computer scientists and neuroscientists.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
More like turding test

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I will be disappointed if AI won't accuse me of cheating or won't stop jumping around and bumping into everything when in elevator or train

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Dr. Honked posted:

More like turding test

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/s6srj8/easily_my_favorite_bug_ive_encountered_so_far/

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Nalin posted:

Technically, yeah. The website was noted as offline recently, but I don't think it is anyone's priority to bring it back up right now. If you want to be added to the fancy organization on the RSI website, just PM me your details. If you want to hang out and talk to the, like, 5 or so goons who play the game every now and then, the Goonrathi Discord is quite active (it's more of a hangout spot now). https://discord.gg/38gG2HKTzz

Thanks, I'll hop on in. Might annoy all the people asking for ships to borrow and test
Hopefully my sc honeymoon period will end fast enough

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

commando in tophat posted:

lol, did they get a discount with all that harassment shitstorm going on or something?

They paid ~70B in cash so they pretty much paid the market cap the company had before the shitstorm (and accordingly, the share price has risen 30% in the last day to reflect that 70B valuation).

So they got a good deal since they didn't have to pay a premium over the "regular" pre-shitstorm price. Obviously, once the company changes hands all the problems will magically disappear and nobody will be harassing anybody any longer.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 18, 2022

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dr. Honked posted:

More like turding test

Just let those pipelines start flowing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thank you CIG posted:

I have been playing SC for about a month now, and all I can say is thank you. I truly enjoy the stunning nature of the game, and I can honestly see the potential for where the game can go.

I see a lot of people on here bad mouthing the game and the company, but in my mind, CIG is taking strides to making a game that has few to match it. Both technologically, and entertainment wise.

For all of those that want to bad mouth the game, do your worst. They are expanding the company and showing that they are attempting to improve. I can understand frustrations from people who have invested into an alpha game with hopes of getting their payout, but perhaps instead of verbally bringing it down, just be patient and wait on your investment. Hell, maybe even try to keep backing the project mentally so they can continue to get the necessary funding because there is so much interest. Being angry at the devs will do nothing for anyone.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Dwesa posted:

how can someone look at this or T-posing NPCs and think that CIG will soon develop strong AI

Aren't they located in Frankfurt?
I have a theory. Service in the area in restaurants/bars etc. is sometimes annoying because there are like 4 people working on the other side of the bar but somehow none of them finds the time to take your order, because one of them is washing glasses, the other is fiddling with whatever machine, and... This is to say that CIG went beyond your wildest dreams and simulated 100% realistic bar service, it's just that some localization is required to transpose the German experience to your own country (this will be managed by AI).

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Aren't they located in Frankfurt?
I have a theory. Service in the area in restaurants/bars etc. is sometimes annoying because there are like 4 people working on the other side of the bar but somehow none of them finds the time to take your order, because one of them is washing glasses, the other is fiddling with whatever machine, and... This is to say that CIG went beyond your wildest dreams and simulated 100% realistic bar service, it's just that some localization is required to transpose the German experience to your own country (this will be managed by AI).

If that's true, their accountants better figure out a way to explain how the German bar experience is definitely "culturally British" enough to qualify for all those sweet tax breaks they've been claiming all these years.

Maybe they can Archer in the Wetherspoons carpet texture on the floors of all the bars. That'd probably be enough.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The project has been live since Oct 2012.

That is 9x12 months = 108

At $10/month that is $1080

At $25/month that is $2700

At $50/month that would be $5400

What if you decided (like many of us did) to regularly chip in $25 or $50 a month so that the development team didn't have to worry if they have a job next month. They could pay the mortgage, feed the kids, pay the medical bills?

What are we supposed to do with all that store credit other than buy ships?

4 years at $20 subscription plus a basic $45 game package is $1005 - that's Concierge level Chairman's Club.

Perhaps you should spend a moment or two thinking before you make such broad sweeping assumptions. I know many people who regularly spend between $25 - $50/month on Steam games they never play. $1000 wouldn't even get you a decent set of golf clubs let alone a club membership subscription. I've spent far more on other online services and digital goods than Star Citizen, and I'm a Space Marshall. Retired Registered General Nurse. 'Daddy' died broke before I even left school.

Who is the rear end in a top hat jumping to conclusions?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Star Citizen: I'm a Space Marshall

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Hell yeah I'd spend $1000 on a jpeg of golf clubs

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Hello goonies - can someone give me an update on this shitshow over the past 3 months tia

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

his nibs posted:

Hello goonies - can someone give me an update on this shitshow over the past 3 months tia

Delusions and shattered dreams

Jul 20, 2006

a cyberpunk goose posted:

star citizen could learn a lot from the now-defunct obscure MMO "Face of Mankind"

Thanks for this very interesting read. I had never heard of this game before, the jobs system sounds nutty but fun.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Eh he’s not wrong, but got his argument backwards - don’t have that cup of Starbucks in the morning and you can have a nice weekend trip once a year with the savings.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Delusions and shattered dreams

Perfek

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

his nibs posted:

Citizens got very annoyed about a $500 explorer ship that was better than an older $500 explorer ship. Then CIG revealed that the new ship would actually be quite poo poo, so that was fine.

Citizens got very annoyed that the new ship-with-oversized-weapon got nerfed from being an alpha craft after the sale. CIG explained that it was meant to kill big capital ships that aren’t in the game, not little ships that are in the game. So that was fine.

CIG sold a dropship version of a ship which already exists, but for lots more money, to go with all the other dropships. Citizens were angry, until they realised that all of the dropships are very expensive. So that was fine too.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Not do the same thing for the mess hall scene.

Except it just ends instead of shows footage.

The world is not worthy of the Chris Roberts mess hall scene.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

are they still in planning month at CIG?

been awfully quiet lately, ie: boring as gently caress with no laughs

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Dr. Honked posted:

More like turding test

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/s6srj8/easily_my_favorite_bug_ive_encountered_so_far/

The turding test is a legendary computer science problem where an AI is said to pass by disappearing up its own rear end instead of dealing with the user trying to engage with it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

It's has been boring as gently caress.

Sadly planning week will probably last till mid february.

Though all that bad news has already been spilt on random news interview SQ42 still two years away ect.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

quote:

We deeply value individual studio cultures. We also believe that creative success and autonomy go hand-in-hand

So we paid 70 billion for crumbling brand with a toxic culture rife with sexual harrassment ?

Activision CEO laughing all the way to the bank, hanging on till the deal went through.

If only Microsoft did not have CR on a black list there would be hope for CIG being purchased for silly cash.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Not do the same thing for the mess hall scene.

Except it just ends instead of shows footage.

The world is not worthy of the Chris Roberts mess hall scene.

The mess hall scene will run at 2fps and contain more fidelity than any of the planets. They have been crafting this mofo for well over 7 year now. Each table has been reworked by entire teams of artists; each fried egg mo-capped by a Michelin star chef and scanned in using 3D cameras. Andy Serkis played a fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

if you have a "planning month", you're failing as a company lmao