Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
it was trebly stupid because it's not like they had cameras in people's bedrooms or anything so it was utterly unenforceable

all you had to do was go "no, i have never experienced the delirious joy of getting my prostate jackhammered into a quivering pile of ecstasy" and you could give anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heath posted:

If you're O+ or A+ there's a good chance your blood will get used, but those also get donated the most so they tend to sit on the shelf. If you're O- it will definitely get used. If you're AB+ it will probably rot before it gets used. However if you are AB+ you should probably donate platelets rather than whole blood. They tend to like AB platelets for some reason

You mean plasma, not platelets, but it’s the other side of the same coin that makes O− the universal platelet donor.

Why will an A+ person get sick if they get B+ blood? The B protein is foreign to them, and their body bind it with antibodies and clears them out with T‐cells. This is bad because they got that infusion of blood because thy needed it, and now it’s being destroyed and also their immune system is running around like LAPD SWAT.

O− plasma contains, or can contain antibodies for all major antigens—A, B, and the rhesus factor (+). This makes it unsafe to give to anyone else—these antibodies would bind with the recipient’s own blood.

AB+ people are used to all the A and B and + floating around in their body. They don’t produce antibodies to any of the major antigens, so their plasma is safe. It won’t attack anyone’s platelets.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chloe Jessica posted:

it was trebly stupid because it's not like they had cameras in people's bedrooms or anything so it was utterly unenforceable

all you had to do was go "no, i have never experienced the delirious joy of getting my prostate jackhammered into a quivering pile of ecstasy" and you could give anyway

It'd be fun if they used that exact wording for the consent forms. It might raise some questions for everyone ticking the "no" box

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Horse boba

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
every time i think horse plinko has peaked it tops itself again

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cursed Images thread is here, tyvm: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833370

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ha! I didn't get the point to begin with because I'm a shut in that has no clue who they are!

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
oh hey i got a thread title :blush:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

other than Us and Midsommar what are the other movies?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
i have no idea what type of blood i have

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I'm O- with a mystery anaphylaxis inducing allergy so they won't take my blood even to just store in case I need it which

Rude

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

:vince::synpa:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Everyone remembers where they were when JFK got vored

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bismuth posted:

other than Us and Midsommar what are the other movies?

Centre is Ready or Not, centre row right is Knives Out. Both very good fun, with protagonists who have done absolutely nothing wrong :colbert:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Gone Girl, The Witch?, not sure.
Us, Ready or Not, Knives Out.
Midsommar, Promising Young Woman, Invisible Man?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I understand this reference and heartily approve

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Hollandia posted:

Gone Girl, The Witch?, not sure.
Us, Ready or Not, Knives Out.
Midsommar, Promising Young Woman, Invisible Man?

The third one is the new Suspiria.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm kind of struggling to find the connection between all of these characters besides being female protagonists in movies where people die.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jabberlock posted:

I can't give blood because I lost it. Help me find my blood

Struck once again by the hemogoblin

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
i only recognize one of those but I'm guessing they're all final girls and it's making fun of the meme with all the villains/anti-heroes

is that it, did I figure it out

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Montague Tigg posted:

i only recognize one of those but I'm guessing they're all final girls and it's making fun of the meme with all the villains/anti-heroes

is that it, did I figure it out

Nope, they're not even all from horror movies (there's two suspense thrillers and one mystery thrown into the mix).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gotta be honest this was not a cut I ever expected to see in the meme thread.

true tho

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm kind of struggling to find the connection between all of these characters besides being female protagonists in movies where people die.

Spoiler for like 9 good to great movies at once:

they're what you could call "good for her" movies, each one having essentially a "final girl" where a woman who was abused or neglected or overcame some manner of horrible poo poo either survives, inherits wealth, finds her freedom, or becomes a supernatural superbeing after her oppressor is in some sense of the word defeated.

And it's very much a troll, a twist on the male version where it's all sociopaths doing sociopath poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think the main character of Gone Girl is supposed to be good, to be honest.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

I don't think the main character of Gone Girl is supposed to be good, to be honest.

Yeah, but, consider the rest of the film.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Spoiler for like 9 good to great movies at once:

they're what you could call "good for her" movies, each one having essentially a "final girl" where a woman who was abused or neglected or overcame some manner of horrible poo poo either survives, inherits wealth, finds her freedom, or becomes a supernatural superbeing after her oppressor is in some sense of the word defeated.

And it's very much a troll, a twist on the male version where it's all sociopaths doing sociopath poo poo.

....Midsommar is about a woman being groomed into being breeding stock for a white supremist cult. So yeah someone REALLY missed the point on that one if they saw that and thought "Good for Her".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Midsommar ends with the protagonist in a pretty grim position even if she doesn't realize it.. And The VVitch's ending is, uh, morally complicated. So yeah, I hope it's a troll meme cause otherwise the creator catastrophically missed the point of a lot of great movies.

Edit: Invisible Man also has kind of a complicated ending that's a good assessment of what #BelieveWomen actually means in a way that's still supportive of the concept.

1stGear has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jan 18, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The men have arrived to tell women why they shouldn't find their peace.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
AB- crew checking in

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Truly the best part of Midsommar is watching a particular scene in a crowded theater and hearing several dozen people wait for other people to laugh uncomfortably because they have no idea how to react.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that was one long and slow paced movie I tell you what

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I worked as a lab tech at a blood bank 2019-2020 in the labeling room, basically checking and releasing every blood product before it went out the door. When covid hit, we received a MASSIVE influx of donations from concerned citizens. This was a huge red flag, as our donor centers were booking everyone right away and not scheduling people out in a manner that would regulate this new supply. Unfortunately, the lockdowns pretty much put a stop to elective procedures being performed in hospitals, as well as the reduction in vehicle traffic and accidents, drastically reducing the need for blood transfusions. Your donated red cells are good for about 42 days. After 21 days, they're considered "short dated" blood, and hospitals don't want them, as they stand a good chance of expiring on the shelf before use. This all resulted in an absolute shitload of RBCs being discarded, and transfusable plasma products being downgraded and sold off to octapharma. We ran out of blood bags and had to get emergency approval to source a different manufacturer, and we ended up throwing all that poo poo away too.

Most blood banks are non-profits, and part of their mandate is to be "a good custodian of the blood supply." The organization I was a part of definitely hosed that up. People heard about the pandemic and immediately wanted to help, and instead of managing the situation properly and developing new long term donors, the blood center just dropped the ball. The majority of donated blood comes from high schools, btw, and the introduction of online schooling on this level is probably the most brutal hit blood banks have taken in a long time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

1stGear posted:

Midsommar ends with the protagonist in a pretty grim position even if she doesn't realize it.. And The VVitch's ending is, uh, morally complicated. So yeah, I hope it's a troll meme cause otherwise the creator catastrophically missed the point of a lot of great movies.

I think I'd sort the films as (more spoilers for 9 good movies):

"Good for her": Knives Out

"A victim of abuse is now in an abusive cult, the cycle of suffering continues!":Midsommar, The VVitch

"Supernatural creature, can't be judged by human standards of morality": Us, Suspiria (2018)

"I mean yeah she wins in the end, but the sheer amount of intense suffering she had to go through to get there makes going "good for her" feel a little inappropriate.": Ready or Not, Invisible Man

"Oh, so everyone in this movie just kind of sucks, huh?": Gone Girl

"Never saw it, I was planning to and then Covid happened and I just never got around to it": promising young woman.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL @ men thinking Midsommar and The VVitch aren't uplifting

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
get your butter gurl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003