Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

My friend played DRG in final coil and usually due to the animation locks on the jumps and such he'd always end up killing me any time we were tethered together. He has made sure to find a way to kill me with every tether mechanic since.

Playing DRG in final coil was a comedy routine. Every time you jumped in T10 it was up to the server ticks whether or not the lightning puddle killed you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
And before it got a magic defense buff, I think the raidwides in T11 would kill a drg unless you got an adlo

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Playing DRG in final coil was a comedy routine. Every time you jumped in T10 it was up to the server ticks whether or not the lightning puddle killed you

thank god the hippocampus arena is designed so you won't get dropsy during the flooded phase no matter where you jump from

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

actually false, warden of the seven hues is one of the few fish you can put in an aquarium tank, and it looks great

mine got blown up when my last house was demolished for inactivity, though :negative:

It was unique, I grant you. I'm just not a fan of the large fish that you can only shove one in the tank. I prefer having 3-5 smallers ones swimming around.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wonder; would polishing coils to be manageable for sync'd DR (and in turn, NRR) be worth the dev time, kind of like how they trimmed ARR patch story and added flying to ARR zones?

It's not terribly hard for goons to find someone to carry through for the story, but I imagine John Q. Rando is going to feel less inclined to try to get help through them and miss out on that side-story. It's sort of a weird sore thumb of the game, in a small way.

Like, the way I'm thinking of it would be to almost re do some of the fights entirely to follow the design patterns of modern raids and then just re-label the old versions savage. (With Second Coil Savage becoming Savage+ or something, idk)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Turn 5 really shows why every single trial arena since ARR has been completely flat because the bodyslam strats are stupid as hell.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I do think maybe the simple mode version is a little less confusing for me, though I don't think you can separate the parts (unless there's a setting I missed).

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of job gauges that are functionally multi-piece like SMN and MCH's then.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do think it'd be neat if they spent some effort cleaning up ARR and HW content to match the conventions of Stormblood onwards--indicators for mechanics, a normal version of coil, dungeons that aren't designed around the idea that pulling should be difficult. But I also suspect that it's not the sort of thing you can just hire more people for and assign newbies to do. So you would need to drop something for it, probably.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, SCH has a multi-piece one, too.

BLM seems like a good candidate for a multi-piece job gauge since there are so many parts that track different but not quite related things, though I suppose the visual design of the normal version means that would only be feasible for the simple version.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Unless you're doing min ilvl, T5 is doable in a few pulls since you'll blow through all the DPS checks. But you'll need to watch a guide first cause the mechanics are not intuitive at all.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Pigbuster posted:

Turn 5 really shows why every single trial arena since ARR has been completely flat because the bodyslam strats are stupid as hell.

*angry Swindler beeping noises*

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
So with all of the universal praise I've been seeing for Endwalker, I'm considering trying FFXIV out for the first time. I imagine these questions have been covered elsewhere in the thread but I skimmed several pages and didn't see the topic discussed; apologies if these have been answered recently:

1) From what I can tell, there is literally no way to start a new account right now due SE's "fix" for the congestion issues. Is that correct, or is there some backdoor way to create a new account if I'm willing to skip the free trial or something? If there's no way in for new players, have they definitively announced when they'll be opening up again?

2) I have not seriously played an MMO since burning out on progression raiding in WoW a decade ago. I have since grown old, had kids, and don't have time like I used to for gaming. Is it possible to make meaningful progress through the storyline while playing maybe a half dozen hours a week, or am I setting myself up for disappointment - is it going to take me years to get to the interesting story beats? Mostly I'm just looking to check out the story and experience some low key dungeon stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The divebomb cheese strat it finicky and unintuitive and twisters will still nail you but yeah by modern standards T5 is far less complicated than an extreme

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Unless you're doing min ilvl, T5 is doable in a few pulls since you'll blow through all the DPS checks. But you'll need to watch a guide first cause the mechanics are not intuitive at all.

I still to this day have no idea why you were supposed to walk in little semi circles to avoid twisters on t5. Just that it worked. was this even the intended strategy??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NJ Deac posted:

1) From what I can tell, there is literally no way to start a new account right now due SE's "fix" for the congestion issues. Is that correct, or is there some backdoor way to create a new account if I'm willing to skip the free trial or something? If there's no way in for new players, have they definitively announced when they'll be opening up again?

They're reopening for new players on January 25.

NJ Deac posted:

2) I have not seriously played an MMO since burning out on progression raiding in WoW a decade ago. I have since grown old, had kids, and don't have time like I used to for gaming. Is it possible to make meaningful progress through the storyline while playing maybe a half dozen hours a week, or am I setting myself up for disappointment - is it going to take me years to get to the interesting story beats? Mostly I'm just looking to check out the story and experience some low key dungeon stuff.

It's definitely possible, and honestly there are still interesting story beats in the earlier parts of the game--they're not all back-loaded. It'll take you a few weeks to get through ARR at that pace but at that pace you're also much less likely to burn yourself out.

It's worth noting that you're never going to find yourself underleveled just doing the main story, so you won't ever need to stop and grind just to progress the story. If anything you're likely to be overleveled most of the way until you hit the latest expansion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
T5 twisters work slightly differently from how they work in repeats of the mechanic iirc. The landmine would be dropped randomly at some point in the castbar. So you wanted to walk a path where you're constantly moving but also never cross paths with any other party member

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I still to this day have no idea why you were supposed to walk in little semi circles to avoid twisters on t5. Just that it worked. was this even the intended strategy??

They pop up with a slight delay under wherever people are standing at the instant it resolves so as far as I know the important thing is just to be moving. Any specific pattern a group insists on is just cause it's convenient for uptime or not tripping over someone else's twister, I think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Modern twisters that snapshot the landmines right as the castbar ends and then activate a second later are much easier to handle, to the point where they went into the first fight of a tier during eden

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

NJ Deac posted:

So with all of the universal praise I've been seeing for Endwalker, I'm considering trying FFXIV out for the first time. I imagine these questions have been covered elsewhere in the thread but I skimmed several pages and didn't see the topic discussed; apologies if these have been answered recently:

1) The game is not on sale right now, but they have announced it coming back on Jan 25, when the new Oceana data center opens. They have not announced a return of the free trial.

2) While there is plenty to do outside of story, the story itself is pretty much a standalone JRPG's worth of plot for each expansion. The base game before Heavenward is about 50-60 hours.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Now that I'm almost finished levelling the 3 ranged DPS I think that Endwalker Bard is actually gonna supplant Machinist as my second favorite of the three (Dancer of course remains on top, pure and perfect as it is). I was just kinda underwhelmed by Machinist's changes whereas Bard feels a lot more fast paced and exciting with its button presses than ever. And I haven't even gotten to Radiant Finale yet.

Only big complaint I have is that Barrage should ABSOLUTELY give Shadowbite Ready like come on

I just got Dancer to 80 and I can confirm, this job is great. Bard is also a lot of fun.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder; would polishing coils to be manageable for sync'd DR (and in turn, NRR) be worth the dev time, kind of like how they trimmed ARR patch story and added flying to ARR zones?

It's not terribly hard for goons to find someone to carry through for the story, but I imagine John Q. Rando is going to feel less inclined to try to get help through them and miss out on that side-story. It's sort of a weird sore thumb of the game, in a small way.

Like, the way I'm thinking of it would be to almost re do some of the fights entirely to follow the design patterns of modern raids and then just re-label the old versions savage. (With Second Coil Savage becoming Savage+ or something, idk)

surely that effort would be better spent elsewhere, given that the entire raid series can be soloed at max level by now. it's not interfering with anybody's story progress as is, and there's entirely new epic boss battles im sure the design team is preoccupied with now

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

NJ Deac posted:

1)I believe they still honor the codes from psychical copies, but they also stopped shipping those.

2)pretty much in the same boat, started a new character in August and finished the available main quest a few days ago. It’s a lot to get through. Each expansion is roughly a 100+ hours, roughly the same length as a Dragon Quest or Persona game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yoship did say they're intending to spend some dev effort on reworking the two msq roulette duties at some point during ew's run. That's a much sorer point than coil though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
An expansion is not 100+ hours unless you're doing all the side content or read very slowly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think if you skip the side content it's probably closer to 30-40 hours for the x.0 and then another 10-20 for the x.1-x.5, per expansion

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

I just got Dancer to 80 and I can confirm, this job is great. Bard is also a lot of fun.

Dancer is cool and good, though it makes me sad when my partner is bad and barely generates any Esprit during my burst, vs a good partner that fills Esprit faster than it's possible to spend it.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yes, it was the intended strategy.

Everyone else is talking about post-nerf Twisters. Original, week 1 launch T5 Twisters worked like they do now (drop a deadly landmine somewhere along your path between the cast's start and end), but they had an extra limitation: if you went too far from the landmine, it exploded and killed you anyway.

This meant that the only feasible way to handle Twisters at launch was to run in a U shape to ensure that you escaped your own landmine while not moving too far away from it.

e: Also, there was 0 indication that going too far from the twister landmine killed you. Fun! This was the part that was removed post-nerf.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 18, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Notably, nobody cleared T5 before the nerf and the world first came the same week the nerf dropped lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The mechanic you describe actually sound kind of interesting though, with proper indicators. Mechanic 1 is, you can't go too far from where you started (indicated by a tether). Mechanic 2 is modern twisters, indicated by the landmine appearing, like in e5s. Near the end of the fight, boss does them simultaneously

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

surely that effort would be better spent elsewhere, given that the entire raid series can be soloed at max level by now. it's not interfering with anybody's story progress as is, and there's entirely new epic boss battles im sure the design team is preoccupied with now

It'd definitely be better for the game if there were normal-difficulty 8-player raids you could queue for at level 50, but yeah, designing a bunch of new encounters for level 50 players and figuring out what the do with the weird ones that are just giant trash pulls would still be a hassle and eat up a lot of dev time. On top of that, between the choice of having the battle team make normal-difficulty Coils or making CM and Prae into solo duties, I'd pick changing CM and Prae without a second thought.

cheetah7071 posted:

Notably, nobody cleared T5 before the nerf and the world first came the same week the nerf dropped lol

I remember hearing Twintania was broken at launch. What about it was nerfed specifically?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The legend of launch day T5.

It took them a while to nail down the correct level of challenge for Coils. iirc in the original version of T7, if you got stoned you were effectively dead for the rest of the pull.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was more likely to wipe everyone if you got stoned

The biggest difference between launch and current T7 is that if you got hit while stoned you instantly died

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God I am sick to death of the Ivalice raids in roulettes. Give me Puppet's Bunker. I hate these goddamned raids and bosses that take 3 hours each

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NJ Deac posted:

We give this advice to everyone: the game is VERY story-heavy, do it at your own pace. If people are talking about how good a book series is, you wouldn't try to just skim the first four novels. There's enough mechanics encouraging people to go back to old content that you're not going to have trouble getting the MSQ done (though some might be more gogogo than you'd like as a newbie, most folks are willing to slow down if you say you're new), and if you try to hurry up thinking the game only exists at endgame you'll burn out quick. Unless you're specifically joining to do progression on brand new content, there's no FOMO to chase.

If you've come from games like FF11 where everything's party-based and falling behind even a little means needing to find new friends, this is going to be a relief. FF14 is heavily solo with occasional group content, and a party system designed to support that. Great for an idle freetime game, my old (as in I've known them for up to 20 years, 40 in the case of my brother. You're only as old as you act) group of gamers has different goals and paces, but we all agree that we're not in college any more and couldn't handle a game that demanded as much attention as we gave to them back then.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for the responses, everyone - looks like I'll sit tight for another week and try it out on the 25th. Looking forward to it!

Bruceski posted:

If you've come from games like FF11 where everything's party-based and falling behind even a little means needing to find new friends, this is going to be a relief. FF14 is heavily solo with occasional group content, and a party system designed to support that. Great for an idle freetime game, my old (as in I've known them for up to 20 years, 40 in the case of my brother. You're only as old as you act) group of gamers has different goals and paces, but we all agree that we're not in college any more and couldn't handle a game that demanded as much attention as we gave to them back then.

This sounds great - I never played FF11, but my formative MMO years were spent in Everquest where 1) trying to play without a balanced group was pointless; 2) finding a group was a nightmare; and 3) getting a couple levels behind your usual friend group meant never seeing those people again.

Edit: I also just realized there's a completely separate thread for new players that addresses all of this in the first post. Oops.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 18, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, FFXIV is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost and needs to be treated as such.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the dps job you can not gently caress up while shitfaced? I'm talking double vision accidentally tabbed out of the Awful app twice while typing this post shitfaced

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dancer or summoner

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nthing that FFXIV is less an MMO based on Final Fantasy, and more a Final Fantasy game with some MMO systems. Which I think has tripped up a lot of WoW refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The worst thing about leveling WAR is that when it's done I'm going to have to go back and level tank classes that are not WAR and that just feels bad.