Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Actually, from a neorealist perspective Russia needs to give up its world power pretensions and join the US fold in the stand-off against China - the two actual superpowers with agency and interests worth considering

Treating politics as a paradox map game is relatable but not particularly close to modelling material reality or insightful as you purposefully miss many actors and their interests involved to abstracting states to anthromorphized characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishBulbia posted:

From a realist perspective, Ukraine is also rationally motivated. The issue is its goals are insignificant compared to powers which can delete life on earth in under an hour. Neorealists mostly claim that the US has surrendered its interests in exchange for vague notions of principals, and is therefore harming its geopolitical goals by being lost in rhetoric.

Here's the deal, the people fawning over daddy Putin while faking outrage over everything AmeriKKKa does aren't principled realists and scholars of IR, they are loving spineless morons

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Somaen posted:

Actually, from a neorealist perspective Russia needs to give up its world power pretensions and join the US fold in the stand-off against China - the two actual superpowers with agency and interests worth considering

Treating politics as a paradox map game is relatable but not particularly close to modelling material reality or insightful as you purposefully miss many actors and their interests involved to abstracting states to anthromorphized characters

Russia is doing triangulation between China and the US. Russia has significant agency because of its military strength, something that can be separated from economic especially for shorter conflicts

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The thread is tired of NATO posting troops stomping on our clay. Its security demands are such:

- Vasukhani gets taken back by the covid thread
- Can't station bad posters here
- COVID thread gets nothing in return

If our demands are not met we start forum wars with nuclear owns. 72 hours to comply

Kidding aside, that's a reasonable position to exist in principle but always leads to atrocity apologia. Moral values are good and lead to more stability and prosperity in the long run

Somaen fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 18, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Where else could Russia even demand aren't allowed allowed to join NATO if Ukraine is disregarded? Turkey and the Baltic states have already been lost to NATO from their POV, which is a major strategic handicap to Russia and probably their next biggest issue after Ukraine when we are talking about their Western foreign policy, and I doubt they would ask for something as nuts as expelling currently existing members.

Actually Russia is demanding that. In the talks they have been having with the US they want NATO to go back to the way it was in 97 so that would mean expelling a whole crapload of countries including the Baltic countries, Hungary, Romania, Poland and others. It's a total non starter for NATO and one of the reasons why no one believes Russia was negotiating in good faith.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Are they willing to roll back their situation to pre 1997 levels? Stuff like military hardware in Kaliningrad, bases in Belarus. Comedy option: ask them if they free Chechnya if we're rolling back the situation..

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
One of the things that perplexes me about those arguing for Moscow's position while bandying about terms like realism, spheres of interest, and zero sum is the complete lack of recognition that, regardless of whether Ukraine can successfully resist renewed Russian aggression, it is infinitely less costly for others to hold the line as close to Russia's borders as possible than to allow it to just waltz all over its neighbors, consolidate its gains, and advance itself towards the defensive alliance. Even if Russia has escalation dominance, helping Ukraine to deter aggression keeps the crosshairs off everyone else and is just as justified and sensible from that perspective as Russia's aims.

Of course, when that gets pointed out, the crocodile tears start to flow and, moments after straight up quoting the Melian dialogue to justify Russia's actions, accusations are flung about how heinous it is that the West would sacrifice Ukrainian lives to thwart Moscow's ambitions, as if the West were sending Ukrainians on a suicide invasion into Russian territory instead of simply assisting the self defense of a country willing and resigned to defending itself.

At that point, just about the only recourse is to either go silent, fall back to screaming that Ukraine is full of neo-Nazis and how, really, Russia would be doing everyone a favor, or to sling similar accusations against NATO member states as if that somehow excuses invasion. Don't get me wrong the NATO and the EU absolutely are suffering from authoritarian rot in a troubling number of their constituents and should be more proactive in rooting it out, but this obviously isn't an excuse for authoritarian Russia to have a say over its significantly less authoritarian neighbor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Everyone would prefer not to see Russia invade Ukraine, so NATO should stop pretending it's going to invite Ukraine and continue its advance to encircle Russia.

khwarezm posted:

Where else could Russia even demand aren't allowed allowed to join NATO if Ukraine is disregarded?

Finland and Sweden

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 18, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Everyone would prefer not to see Russia invade Ukraine, so NATO should stop pretending it's going to invite Ukraine and continue its advance to encircle Russia.
This would not change a thing except encourage Russia to make even more outrageous demands. Good job?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

khwarezm posted:

Where else could Russia even demand aren't allowed allowed to join NATO if Ukraine is disregarded? Turkey and the Baltic states have already been lost to NATO from their POV, which is a major strategic handicap to Russia and probably their next biggest issue after Ukraine when we are talking about their Western foreign policy, and I doubt they would ask for something as nuts as expelling currently existing members. Finland seems like the only realistic candidate next but if that's the case then the Russians are playing a dangerous game since its typically been best for everybody to just let Finland perform its tightrope balancing act like its done since the 1940s, acting aggressively towards the countries that border Russia only makes NATO seem much more useful to said countries, and I can't imagine that Finns are terrifically fond of what they are seeing in Ukraine.

I'm curious about this; I guess I had always thought of Finland as having no love lost for Russia and a pseudo member of NATO.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

At least you’re no longer pretending this is about realism. Poor Eastern European countries, gaslit by NATO to infringe upon Russia’s natural right to dictate the lives of its sovereign neighbours.

I’m looking forward to Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan joining NATO.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I'm not saying what they're doing is okay but Russia already is encircled, it's just that Ukraine is part of Russia's buffer-zone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just like Imperial Germany, there's a few things about cause and effect that Russia should try to understand when it comes to the whole panic about "being encircled".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They're only "encircled" because they're racist jerks that don't consider non-European borders important.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Finland and Sweden

Russia has done a great job encircling herself by forcing anybody who has to deal with her to be either antagonistic as a matter of survival, or to be ruled by kowtowing oligarchical lackeys who care nothing about the welfare of their countries.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 18, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ru675#2a81cd2a

For some reason a Russian cargo airplane flew yesterday from Moscow to Leipzig via this route, which has caught a lot of media attention in Finland. Finnish Air Force says the plane was following flight plan, which isn't much of an explanation.

This route took the plane suspiciously close to Finnish Air Force HQ in central Finland, so dunno, signal intelligence or just a random nothingburger?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kamrat posted:

I'm not saying what they're doing is okay but Russia already is encircled, it's just that Ukraine is part of Russia's buffer-zone.

"Buffer zone" is just a term for "imperialism I like", hth.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Now point out on the map where Russia's two biggest cities are.

steinrokkan posted:

"Buffer zone" is just a term for "imperialism I like", hth.

So is defensive alliance. Remember when the defensive alliance attacked Russian allies in Serbia and Libya?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Now point out on the map where Russia's two biggest cities are.

So is defensive alliance.

Considering that Warsaw is closer to (Bela)Russian borders than Moscow, we should immediately launch a first strike nuclear attack against Russia, it's the only way to survive against this encroachment of Russia into our natural territory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

So is defensive alliance. Remember when the defensive alliance attacked Russian allies in Serbia and Libya?

Ah yes, the old "who can say who is worse, the murderer, or the murdered" conundrum

gently caress off, especially with the Serbia did nothing wrong truther bullshit

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You seem upset, maybe take a breather. Whether Serbia was in the wrong or not though, it obviously wasn't a defensive action by NATO, and as I pointed out in a previous post, it's interesting how the US and its allies only operate based on their high minded principles in defense of life and liberty when it coincides with cynical geopolitical goals.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nenonen posted:

For some reason a Russian cargo airplane flew yesterday from Moscow to Leipzig via this route, which has caught a lot of media attention in Finland. Finnish Air Force says the plane was following flight plan, which isn't much of an explanation.

This route took the plane suspiciously close to Finnish Air Force HQ in central Finland, so dunno, signal intelligence or just a random nothingburger?
You should know how this works: Russia wanted to see if Finland was stupid enough to shoot down a cargo plane as a casus belli. Nothing happened, obviously.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

You should know how this works: Russia wanted to see if Finland was stupid enough to shoot down a cargo plane as a casus belli. Nothing happened, obviously.

I'm not sure if you're joking. No one shoots down airplanes following flight plans. Well, apart from Russians I guess.

Sinteres posted:

You seem upset, maybe take a breather. Whether Serbia was in the wrong or not though, it obviously wasn't a defensive action by NATO, and as I pointed out in a previous post, it's interesting how the US and its allies only operate based on their high minded principles in defense of life and liberty when it coincides with cynical geopolitical goals.

Great, the thread just had a holodomor chat and now a genocide apologist barges in...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Again, I never said anything about Serbia being in the right. I was just noting that the US sees some instances of human rights violations and goes wow we must absolutely stamp this out and tear apart the inviolability of international borders (while disallowing Serbian communities in Kosovo to similarly secede back to Serbia despite also being victims of ethnic cleansing), while ignoring or even assisting crimes against humanity in other places like Turkey and Yemen.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 18, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

There are no high minded principles (which is a funny charge coming from somebody who's just admitted to thinking that stopping a genocide is worse than genocide itself if it inconveniences mommy Russia), just a desire to stop the Russian tyrant looming over the region from gaining further hold since it brings nothing but poverty, violence and oppression. Selfish and self-evidently so for everybody affected, really. And as we've learned itt, selfish means good and justified. And in this case it just happens to also coincide with the morally superior choice.

Sinteres posted:

Again, I never said anything about Serbia being in the right.

You said that stopping Serbia was imperialism, bud.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Again, I never said anything about Serbia being in the right.

You aren't saying they were in the wrong, either, just that Nato countries were in the wrong in intervening.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

somebody who's just admitted to thinking that stopping a genocide is worse than genocide itself if it inconveniences mommy Russia

I didn't say that, and I think you should try reading the posts you're responding to rather than simply responding emotionally when you see the name of a bad country typed out.

Nenonen posted:

You aren't saying they were in the wrong, either, just that Nato countries were in the wrong in intervening.

I didn't even say they were wrong to intervene, just that it clearly wasn't a defensive action.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

I didn't say that, and I think you should try reading the posts you're responding to rather than simply responding emotionally when you see the name of a bad country typed out.

I didn't even say they were wrong to intervene, just that it clearly wasn't a defensive action.

Again, you called it, explicitly, imperialism

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Again, you called it, explicitly, imperialism

It was. Like I said, I think these humanitarian interventions always conveniently serve cynical geopolitical interests, which makes them imperialist even if they incidentally do some good along the way. Punishing only your enemies while ignoring or even helping your friends commit similar crimes is obviously imperialist even if intervening isn't inherently wrong.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 18, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ru675#2a81cd2a

It's certainly unusual, considering the standard route this flight number takes and the fact they did end up close to some off-limits areas in Finland. There'a a theory floating around that they were flying to Murmansk, couldn't land due to weather or some technical issues and opted to fly back to Leipzig, where Air Bridge Cargo has a base and where this flight normally terminates at, but the flight parameters and other patterns don't seem to agree.

What I'm saying is: if this was a coincidence, then it was a hell of one.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress off, especially with the Serbia did nothing wrong truther bullshit

Milosovic did something wrong. Serbian civilians who committed the crime of taking a train or buying food and received a death sentence, not so much!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022...comments-a76073

quote:

ALMATY – Former Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said Tuesday that there was “no conflict or confrontation” among Kazakhstan's elite in his first appearance since deadly protests rocked the former Soviet country earlier this month.

Nazarbayev, 81, has not been seen in public since the worst unrest since Kazakhstan’s independence broke out earlier this month, leading to widespread speculation over his whereabouts and his relationship with current President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev.

Tokayev “has full power,” Nazarbayev said in Tuesday’s video address. “He is the chairman of the Security Council…There is no conflict or confrontation in the elite. Rumors on this subject are absolutely groundless.”

In the video, Nazarbayev described himself as a “pensioner since 2019” — when he handed the presidency to Tokayev — despite heading the Security Council until early January and holding the formal title of Leader of the Nation.

“I am currently on a well-deserved rest in the capital of Kazakhstan and have not left anywhere,” Nazarbayev said.

In his address, Nazarbayev urged Kazakhs to support a new series of populist measures introduced by Tokayev.

“The president put forward a new reform program aimed at improving the welfare of the people. This program needs to be supported,” Nazarbayev said.

:thunk:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This reads like Sukarno reading a script declaring "Suharto is totally my successor. He totally didn't strip me of powers then replace me after an abortive coup. That totally didn't lead to the eradication of my voter base in retaliation. Yep."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grouchio posted:

This reads like Sukarno reading a script declaring "Suharto is totally my successor. He totally didn't strip me of powers then replace me after an abortive coup. That totally didn't lead to the eradication of my voter base in retaliation. Yep."

Also, this non-descript room has a dozen of state flags, which indicates I [smash cut] definitely haven't [smash cut] fled the country.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somaen posted:

This wouldn't achieve any strategic objectives that Russia has for Ukraine
- Would confirm Russia as the psychotic bad guy that attacks its neighbors with whatever consequences
- Further resolve to join NATO and EU for Ukrainians
- Installed Yanukovich figure overthrown in two days
- Crimean water access not secured
- Russian speakers not saved, Czar looks weak, no bump in polls
Etc

The only outcome I see is an occupation, massive repressions and flooding Europe with refugees as punishment which is again, nuts to think about but not zero chance of happening.

I was under the impression that Russian would only take Eastern Ukraine because from what I've skimmed across on twitter along with other articles is that their current troops aren't sufficient enough for a full scaled occupation. There's a real risk that it'd turn into another Afghanistan and slowly bleed Russian lives. They win in the short term but long term they'd just bleed out.

All of this really sounds lovely too and there isn't much we are able to do. Wars are so goddamn dumb. :smith:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I was under the impression that Russian would only take Eastern Ukraine because from what I've skimmed across on twitter along with other articles is that their current troops aren't sufficient enough for a full scaled occupation. There's a real risk that it'd turn into another Afghanistan and slowly bleed Russian lives. They win in the short term but long term they'd just bleed out.

All of this really sounds lovely too and there isn't much we are able to do. Wars are so goddamn dumb. :smith:

It’s going to turn into that no matter what if Russia invades imo. Conventional war won extremely quickly, guerillas and insurgents take their price later. Except worse politically the aghanistan because Russia still has conscription so there’s a bunch of people and peoples sons who did not volunteer for this getting sent into danger.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Welp. War is so dumb meat grinder. It's awful how a bunch of young men are going to simply be sent to their deaths for no good reason and whom honestly probably would have gotten along just fine if it wasn't their lovely leaders.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s going to turn into that no matter what if Russia invades imo. Conventional war won extremely quickly, guerillas and insurgents take their price later. Except worse politically the aghanistan because Russia still has conscription so there’s a bunch of people and peoples sons who did not volunteer for this getting sent into danger.

With the really weird aspect of fighting what are basically ethnic cousins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anti tank weapons being sent to Ukraine because Britain wants to refinance Russian industrial loans