Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Pollyanna posted:

Nthing that FFXIV is less an MMO based on Final Fantasy, and more a Final Fantasy game with some MMO systems. Which I think has tripped up a lot of WoW refugees.

This take sucks every time it comes up. FF14 is the best mmorpg on the market because it does the things an MMO should do better than everyone else. It is a pretty good jrpg but the doldrums of the bad parts drag the better parts down and also it's like 300 hours long and those 300 hours have pretty lovely gameplay 50-60% of the time even if the story is doing work. And the parts where the gameplay is good are all instances, solo or duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the dps job you can not gently caress up while shitfaced? I'm talking double vision accidentally tabbed out of the Awful app twice while typing this post shitfaced

Dancer for the easy rotation, most of what you do is press shiny buttons. Summoner is also extremely easy, you're mostly spamming one of two buttons.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the dps job you can not gently caress up while shitfaced? I'm talking double vision accidentally tabbed out of the Awful app twice while typing this post shitfaced

summoner supposedly is very simple now. DNC is hit the glowy button. Zero IQ Reaper aoe only fate grinding in bozja has been v fun personally

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Failboattootoot posted:

This take sucks every time it comes up. FF14 is the best mmorpg on the market because it does the things an MMO should do better than everyone else. It is a pretty good jrpg but the doldrums of the bad parts drag the better parts down and also it's like 300 hours long and those 300 hours have pretty lovely gameplay 50-60% of the time even if the story is doing work. And the parts where the gameplay is good are all instances, solo or duties.

I think one of the weakest parts of it is leveling up as a new player with a friend. You can't really quest together and just kind of meet up every now and then for dungeons/trials and it kinda sucks. This sorta happened to my friend who joined after me and he just petered out

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

I remember hearing Twintania was broken at launch. What about it was nerfed specifically?

There was more to it than just twisters being impossible for groups to figure out. It was a mess at launch, these are the things I remember.

1. Twintania would often break on terrain in the arena, making her immobile and stop attacking so you could just kill her for free. This caused the instance to be literally shut down for a while so they could fix the terrain issues so it couldn't be exploited. This happened more than once. It's one of the reasons world first took a while, because you couldn't even access the fight!

2. Conflagrations used to be susceptible to a BLM's sleep spell, causing them to despawn harmlessely instead of exploding and killing the trapped player, removing one of the DPS checks.

3. The small snake adds during divebomb phase release a debuff when they die, the way this works is that as soon as they hit 1 HP they do the aoe then drop dead. If someone stunned them while they attempted to do the aoe, they would not die and remain unkillable at 1 HP until they wiped the party.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

surely that effort would be better spent elsewhere, given that the entire raid series can be soloed at max level by now. it's not interfering with anybody's story progress as is, and there's entirely new epic boss battles im sure the design team is preoccupied with now
Not that I think you're wrong, but didn't they spend effort retooling Diadem like 2 or 3 times?

whalestory posted:

I think one of the weakest parts of it is leveling up as a new player with a friend. You can't really quest together and just kind of meet up every now and then for dungeons/trials and it kinda sucks. This sorta happened to my friend who joined after me and he just petered out
Yeah, I kinda want to get a friend into the game who's expressed a passing interest, but it's a seriously daunting prospect.

Whereas I know like two years ago they grabbed a WoW trial with a friend and kinda just went wild since you can get into the thick of it very fast.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I think if you skip the side content it's probably closer to 30-40 hours for the x.0 and then another 10-20 for the x.1-x.5, per expansion

I think this is a pretty good estimate of the time to play through the MSQ. A friend of mine started playing FF14 about three months ago and has done basically nothing but play MSQ so far and it took him 360 hours to play ARR-EW, and EW is around the amount of story as an x.0-x.3 set of quests.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know two people who leveled up and played the entire MSQ together. Everything except solo duties. So it's quite do-able.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So now that I've played NIN at level 90 for a bit my thoughts are that I still love this class, but it has become a bit too cluttered and I feel like I'm doing a crapload of work to attempt to compete against many other DPS jobs. Most jobs are like 'hit button, get buff' but NIN is all like 'do mudras to land Suiton on target, hit Meisui to absorb Suiton to raise ninki gauge (make sure not to waste if gauge is already over 50!) to buff Bhavacakra, and then hit Bhavacakra which now has an extra 100 potency. Like, that's not BAD or anything, but it is an awful lot of work to go through for an extra 100 potency. It's the same kind of thing with the new Hollow Nozuchi ability that effectively adds an extra 50 potency to many AE attacks (specials and one half of the 2 part AE combo) but requires everything to stay stacked in it (please increase Doton size yoship).

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing a very busy and challenging job at times, but looking at FF logs it doesn't really seem like the payoff is there. I know NIN was sort of called out as a job that 'needs a bit of adjustment so I guess we'll see, but I feel as a job it may be next in line for some sort of revamp.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've leveled up my DNC as a raiding alt and having trucked it through normal raids this week I feel like it's actually harder than I would have thought for a "hit glowy button" monkey job because it's so easy to overcap or overwrite a proc and also keep cooldowns going so that they don't drift. Why doesn't hitting 100 espirit make a noise squenix????

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

That's pretty much me. Only reason I was really able to clear normal raids on it is because I've done normal raids so many times.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Dancer. You won't even notice the double vision. Just more pretty flashing buttons to push.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing a very busy and challenging job at times, but looking at FF logs it doesn't really seem like the payoff is there. I know NIN was sort of called out as a job that 'needs a bit of adjustment so I guess we'll see, but I feel as a job it may be next in line for some sort of revamp.

My guess is that NIN is just always going to have less DPS than the other melees for two reasons: The first being Trick Attack, and the second being that I think the devs consider having Ninjutsu to attack with from range along with Shukuchi as a teleport to be justification for the job paying a positional flexibility tax similar to ranged DPS jobs.

Thanks for this. I can see why they might be reluctant to take more risks with boss design when their first pass at it resulted in jank like this.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 19, 2022

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Adding an extra hotbar near the middle of your screen (I'd go like 3-4 inches left/right on your monitor from where your character stands) at like 160% scale w/ your proc buttons on it might help. Reducing how far your eyes have to travel to check poo poo you need to check every two seconds is really helpful.

I absolutely can't do proc-based classes without a special UI element to help me notice procs or I do the same thing.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
For what it's worth, procs can now be separated out into their own bar for quick reference when they're up (called "Conditional Enhancements" under the enhancements/enfeeblements bar). It's been incredibly helpful for me on DNC, BLM, RDM, etc since I don't need to have many buttons showing anymore to track what is available.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I would not be surprised to see a lot of job reworks in 7.0, to the degree that I'm kinda nervous about some of my favorite jobs getting hosed up.

They should rework Dragoon because Dragoon is dumb and has always been dumb.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragoon has not always been dumb and was very satisfying in hw, sb, and shb

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Magres posted:

Adding an extra hotbar near the middle of your screen (I'd go like 3-4 inches left/right on your monitor from where your character stands) at like 160% scale w/ your proc buttons on it might help. Reducing how far your eyes have to travel to check poo poo you need to check every two seconds is really helpful.

I absolutely can't do proc-based classes without a special UI element to help me notice procs or I do the same thing.

I use this for major cooldowns and defensives as well. Some people seem to be able to run their rotation purely on sequences and timings, but I need the visual reminder.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
They should absolutely NOT rework Black Mage but they should consolidate like four different sets of buttons (fire 4/blizzard 4, leylines/between the lines, despair/umbral soul, flare/freeze) to make room for cool new spells like Burst or Osmose.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm an awful NIN. I can barely remember ninjitsu combos or to do a trick.

Love the jumping with weapons out though, wish I could use that on other jobs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
bring back hw dragoon but if you manage to use geirskogul the max number of times in between botd presses, you get to use stardiver, as a treat

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

They should absolutely NOT rework Black Mage but they should consolidate like four different sets of buttons (fire 4/blizzard 4, leylines/between the lines, despair/umbral soul, flare/freeze) to make room for cool new spells like Burst or Osmose.

I think they should combine a lot of spells that are just the same thing except single target/AOE, like Foul/Xenoglossy. Then again, they keep adding these buttons specifically so they don't have to mess with the rotation too much...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think they should consolidate and stop adding ogcds that are just single target / aoe variants. Give the single target attacks aoe damage. It literally doesn't matter and would free up space.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Clarste posted:

I think they should combine a lot of spells that are just the same thing except single target/AOE, like Foul/Xenoglossy. Then again, they keep adding these buttons specifically so they don't have to mess with the rotation too much...

I can see the argument for this but if I couldn't help but spread AoE damage around with a bunch of my spells it'd make situations like the P3S add phase really dicey.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

I'm an awful NIN. I can barely remember ninjitsu combos or to do a trick.

Love the jumping with weapons out though, wish I could use that on other jobs.

time for a little huton
*opens with ten*
well gently caress i guess it's doton time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I can see the argument for this but if I couldn't help but spread AoE damage around with a bunch of my spells it'd make situations like the P3S add phase really dicey.

A lot of other jobs like Red Mage already do this.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
make dragoon have an even more over the top half-dragon burst phase modeled off the final steps of faith

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

TGLT posted:

time for a little huton
*opens with ten*
well gently caress i guess it's doton time

Wow, you nailed me. Can't wait to hit 80 and stop playing this for the benefit of everyone else.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Why don't Leylines and Between the Lines share a button? It seems like madness! I never remember to use the darn thing!

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Both NIN and AST are in a kind of weird place where they require a substantial amount of extra work to play compared to the other jobs in their role for the same result, so people are left with the options of either playing them despite this because they like the challenge or the busyness, or else deciding that the extra work just isn't worth it and giving up on the job.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Make Dragoon just be a combination of all the goofiest parts of previous expansions. A GCD rotation so long you forget where you are in it. Random positionals. A meter that constantly ticks down that some moves increase and some spend. A burst phase that's burstier the higher that meter is when you enter it. The works. And then also toss this in for good measure

Mad Wack posted:

make dragoon have an even more over the top half-dragon burst phase modeled off the final steps of faith

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Clarste posted:

A lot of other jobs like Red Mage already do this.

It's true, it basically works if it only applies to sometimes foods like Scorch or (SB-era) Foul and incorporates damage falloff. Still, stuff like the endboss of Mocianne's Arboretum (Hard) could really gently caress you up if even your incidental AoE knocks the add into the wrong part of the arena, so I don't think ST/AoE consolidation is a strict upgrade the way that putting two abilities one of which or the other is always greyed out is like.

Rand Brittain posted:

Why don't Leylines and Between the Lines share a button? It seems like madness! I never remember to use the darn thing!

I'm guessing that in Stormblood they didn't have the tech or were at least really gunshy about putting two things with different cooldowns on the same button but now they're just being assholes.

What I do is I've got Aetherial Manipulation on V and Between the Lines on Ctrl-V so there's a physical link between my movement abilities.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Keret posted:

Both NIN and AST are in a kind of weird place where they require a substantial amount of extra work to play compared to the other jobs in their role for the same result, so people are left with the options of either playing them despite this because they like the challenge or the busyness, or else deciding that the extra work just isn't worth it and giving up on the job.

I just hope that it doesn't result in a full rework for the sake of the people who like how NIN flows at the moment because I've been there with really liking SB MCH despite its complexity but instead of buffing the numbers to make it match the complexity they just gutted it instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The level 100 ability for BLM will just be Paradox again except it's AOE this time.

Ibblebibble posted:

I just hope that it doesn't result in a full rework for the sake of the people who like how NIN flows at the moment because I've been there with really liking SB MCH despite its complexity but instead of buffing the numbers to make it match the complexity they just gutted it instead.

I feel like they could simplify the way Huton works without losing much (ie: get rid of both the Ninjutsu and the new Huton poke, and just let Armor Crush apply it), which also frees up a Ninjutsu slot for something that actually does something new.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 19, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Give Dragoon a button that does a 30-second chain of attacks but locks out control. Leylines(Savage)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Clarste posted:

The level 100 ability for BLM will just be Paradox again except it's AOE this time.

I'm hoping at least for a trait that allows your AoE spells to consume and be empowered by your paradox marker somehow. Like, when you're out of actual umbral hearts Flare can treat it like an extra umbral heart.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 19, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm hoping that we cap at lvl 99 for the truest Final Fantasy experience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FF8 erasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Robo Reagan posted:

Monk. Just switch to 123,456 rotation and still out damage everyone else.