Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I have like.... one? Two? Paper bylines in 2021? A lot of journals just aren't even bothering right now, especially indie and small press lit journals.
Anyway yeah as for comics-- my wife has saved a lot of money because originally the Hellfire Gala HC was supposed to be my bday present, and then it was supposed to be my holiday present, but first it got bumped from October to December and now our LCS just didn't get any of the copies it ordered with the outlook for getting copies fairly dim. Maybe by Valentine's Day she'll be able to pick it up.

Congratulations! One or two academic bylines in a year is no small task. Since my first and only law journal article came out in 2019, and probably due in part to COVID and paper shortage issues, a lot of law schools have suspended publication of hard copies (are law journals the only ones that call those "reprints"?) and shifted their format to online-only. I'm so glad I got a stack of reprints of my article before it was too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hello HC thread, recent events have shaken up my brain quite a bit and I've decided I no longer need the massive collection of books I have gathered. Shortly I will be putting several sets of books up at fire sale pricing. I prefer to sell these in the sets I'll be listing so please don't ask me to break up sets.

To start things off,
Hellboy Library Editions 1-7 + In Hell. $300 shipped.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Congratulations! One or two academic bylines in a year is no small task. Since my first and only law journal article came out in 2019, and probably due in part to COVID and paper shortage issues, a lot of law schools have suspended publication of hard copies (are law journals the only ones that call those "reprints"?) and shifted their format to online-only. I'm so glad I got a stack of reprints of my article before it was too late.

Oh not academic, just creative, but I also teach creative writing so they're still part of the hustle. I told my diss committee that I'm just taking a one year hiatus from academic writing to get my thoughts back together, but I'd been chit-chatting about co-authoring a thing with one of them right before COVID so we'll see-- and since it would revolve around kind of a cluster of New England-based 19th c. authors I'm definitely better placed for scooting around for research/archival work than I was in 2019.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Hello HC thread, recent events have shaken up my brain quite a bit and I've decided I no longer need the massive collection of books I have gathered. Shortly I will be putting several sets of books up at fire sale pricing. I prefer to sell these in the sets I'll be listing so please don't ask me to break up sets.

To start things off,
Hellboy Library Editions 1-7 + In Hell. $300 shipped.

If you have Plague of Frogs....

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

JordanKai posted:

I can't speak on Ollie's, but the global paper shortage is ravaging the comic book world as a whole. My LCS can't get its hands on some collected editions because the print runs are so small, and omnibuses and OHCs are selling out online during the preorder period. It's a warzone out there.

This must be what happened to Spawn Compendium Vol 2. I pre-ordered it in August, it came out Tuesday, and is now unavailable and I have no date on when i'll get it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh not academic, just creative, but I also teach creative writing so they're still part of the hustle. I told my diss committee that I'm just taking a one year hiatus from academic writing to get my thoughts back together, but I'd been chit-chatting about co-authoring a thing with one of them right before COVID so we'll see-- and since it would revolve around kind of a cluster of New England-based 19th c. authors I'm definitely better placed for scooting around for research/archival work than I was in 2019.

That's still awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

If you have Plague of Frogs....

Unfortunately I sold that set over the summer.

Current sets I'm wishing to part with

Daredevil by Bendis Omnibus 1-2
Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus 1-2
X-Men AOA & Companion Omnibus
Y The last Man OSCH 1-5
EX Machina OSHC 1-5
JSA Omnibus -13
Ultimate Spider-man OSHC 1-12 + Death, Doomsday & Spider-Men
Buffy TVS Library Ed Season 8 1-4
Fantastic Four Omnibus V1-2
Flash by Geoff Johns Omnibus 1-3
Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus 1-2 + Brightest Day Omnibus
DMZ OSHC 1-5

I'll come up with prices or make me an offer? Again, I don't want to split sets up.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I'm very interested in the Bendis DD omnis but they are on my Christmas wishlist so if I don't get them as gifts, I'll follow up with you after the holiday to see if you still have them available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm interested in both DD sets. IDK what those are worth, and I'd have to wait until after the new year at this point anyway.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Black Panther by Christopher Priest omnibus has been announced for next year. :stoked:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't want to commit but I'm curious how much you'd want to ask for the Fantastic Four volumes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't want to commit but I'm curious how much you'd want to ask for the Fantastic Four volumes?

Probably like $150 for the pair? They're both still shrink wrapped.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm interested in both DD sets. IDK what those are worth, and I'd have to wait until after the new year at this point anyway.

Value isn't going to be super important to me with this stuff. I just want to clear some space and put this stuff in the hands of people who will love them.

I should also have said I'm still not 100% back to daily posting here, but I will make an extra effort to check this thread if people want to buy some books.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I stopped at an Ollie's on my Christmas trip and picked up a copy of Mark Waid's Daredevil OSHC. Is this all there is to his run? It collects 1-10 and 10.1 and an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. I ask because there's no "volume 1" on it anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe there were five volumes in his run.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I believe there were five volumes in his run.

5 HC and 2 omnibuses

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I stopped at an Ollie's on my Christmas trip and picked up a copy of Mark Waid's Daredevil OSHC. Is this all there is to his run? It collects 1-10 and 10.1 and an issue of Amazing Spider-Man. I ask because there's no "volume 1" on it anywhere.

Rhyno is right, as he often is. There are five Waid Daredevil OSHCs, and you can probably get them all easily enough on Amazon or eBay at decent discounts. Those are what I own, even though I prefer trade paperbacks. Otherwise you could try to track down ELEVEN trade paperbacks or overpay in a major way for the two Omnibus editions, which are out of print and pricey.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Thanks, y'all

edit; I'm a dope, there's a "VOL 1" on the spine, ugh

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 30, 2021

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oh geez, does Hellfire Gala ever pick up? I'm about 6 issues in and this thing is dragging.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Quentin Q is absolutely horny for that moment if I recall

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Against my better judgement and morals I ordered the X-Men: Mutant Massacre omnibus from Amazon because they were the only retailer I trusted to deliver it at the moment. I did not get it in the end and my order is now in limbo.

The global paper shortage has me in shambles. :negative:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I ordered mine from IST on Tuesday afternoon and it looks like it'll be here sometime today.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

I ordered mine from IST on Tuesday afternoon and it looks like it'll be here sometime today.

I think it's an EU issue. I guess Marvel decided at some point that it's okay not to deliver on their pre-orders in Europe and to never backfill them either. :smithfrog:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Oh my god just solicit Uncanny X-Men volume 5 already

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh my god just solicit Uncanny X-Men volume 5 already

Talk that poo poo, king!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I’m more interested in how they are gonna map that fucker

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished Annihilation and it was a fun ride. I didn’t really care for Ronan, but overall it was very entertaining.

I *really* want the Absolute versions of Sandman + Death + Overture, but I already have the three omnibuses. It’s really hard to justify those prices, but they do look *really* pretty on the shelf…

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

Just finished Annihilation and it was a fun ride. I didn’t really care for Ronan, but overall it was very entertaining.

I *really* want the Absolute versions of Sandman + Death + Overture, but I already have the three omnibuses. It’s really hard to justify those prices, but they do look *really* pretty on the shelf…

I was at Ollie's last week and they had three volumes of the Annotated Sandman HCs for $10 each. I was tempted but I really don't need another version. Not when I've decided to clear out anything that's no longer needed.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I have a hunch that instead of Uncanny X-Men vol. 5 it'll be something like Prelude to the Mutant Massacre or something, because the chunk of UXM issues between vol. 4 and the MM omni is really quite small and they have to put that first stint of X-Factor SOMEWHERE.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The main problem with that is they will probably want to put in the issues that result in the revival of Jean Grey and that will balloon the page count….which they seem unwilling to do for Claremont X-men omnis that aren’t events

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm pretty sure there's enough material for 2 reasonably sized omnis in that gap, or one thicc boi. My hunch is that they'll split it into 2 books because there's more money to be made that way.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I managed to get my hands on the Mutant Massacre omnibus after all! A different retailer briefly had it in stock, so I cancelled my order with Amazon and purchased it there instead. Amazon may be an awful company, but at least they send out refunds very quickly and with no fuss. :retrogames:

Unfortunately, the omni was shipped in a sturdy paper bag instead of a box, which scared the hell out of me when I opened the door for the mailman. Thankfully there are no major dents on the book at all, just some minor creases at the top and bottom of the spine. I've had books arrive in worse conditions despite being shipped in a box.

This has been quite the roller coaster. :sweatdrop:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Glad you got your book!

What's next chronologically? Fall of the Mutants omni?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

Glad you got your book!

What's next chronologically? Fall of the Mutants omni?

Yep! Mutant Massacre leads directly into Fall of the Mutants. It's kind of wild to think how long the X-Men were in full-blown 'BIGGEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO OUR HEROES' mode. Mutant Massacre leads directly into Fall of the Mutants, which in turn leads directly into Inferno. That's almost three years of back-to-back catastrophes. Poor mutants. :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Technically the inferno prologue Omni comes next. After Fall I mean

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 21, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

There's a lot going on but I think that whole era is really enjoyable, plus the very loose structure of Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants keeps it from feeling as bloated as some later big events. I'm up to early 1990 in my big reread of every mutant comic and I have to say I've even come to appreciate the Bret Blevins era of New Mutants-- he's cartoony in a way that gives plenty of space for the grotesque, which is just what the NM chunk of Inferno demanded.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just got the Doom Patrol Bronze Age omnibus, drat is that a beefy rear end book. The editor sent me a dm when they were putting it together since I own a couple of the Larsen era pages so it was cool to see the raw scans in print.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

How Wonderful! posted:

There's a lot going on but I think that whole era is really enjoyable, plus the very loose structure of Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants keeps it from feeling as bloated as some later big events. I'm up to early 1990 in my big reread of every mutant comic and I have to say I've even come to appreciate the Bret Blevins era of New Mutants-- he's cartoony in a way that gives plenty of space for the grotesque, which is just what the NM chunk of Inferno demanded.

I think we're right in the same spot and yeah, same on New Mutants. There's a weird push and pull between Liefeld and Simonson after that where I like to imagine that he's responsible for the lazily stereotyped Japanese mutants.

Apparently Ann Nocenti and Bret Blevins did an Inhumans Marvel Graphic Novel around the same time but I can't find it on Marvel Unlimited.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool to see more people digging the Claremont run. I'm loving it too.

ruddiger posted:

Just got the Doom Patrol Bronze Age omnibus, drat is that a beefy rear end book. The editor sent me a dm when they were putting it together since I own a couple of the Larsen era pages so it was cool to see the raw scans in print.

That rocks.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sick and tired of these Conan omnibuses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah soliciting three in two months is insane.

Though that apparently completes th run