Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

thecluckmeme posted:

For FC6, blast through the story missions until you reach the main island, the game will try to get you to go to the northwest part first as it's recommendation. Head straight for the southeastern mountains and meet El Tigre, then build the guerilla outpost. You are now on a tall mountain with a wingsuit. El Tigre isn't required, I just think he's neat :kimchi:

:tipshat:

It's loaded up and ready to go, it'll be next in line once I get sick of endgame BotW and head over to punch Ganon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tipshat:

It's loaded up and ready to go, it'll be next in line once I get sick of endgame BotW and head over to punch Ganon.

It's not as robust as JC4. I ate a lot of asphalt going from one game to the other, just a warning.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

It's not as robust as JC4. I ate a lot of asphalt going from one game to the other, just a warning.

If you're talking about FC6, 100% agreed. It's like 80% there, but playing on KBM had more than a couple times that I cussed out the game for not recognizing when I hit the space bar trying to stop my wingsuit glide and parachute instead, only to ram my face directly into a ditch and instantly die.

That being said, any sufficiently large hill can be either a wingsuit glide or The World's Longest Powerslide, and that's about as satisfying while being a lot less prone to leaving my teeth in a tree.

Another little thing in the game is that the woman's voice acting is IMO just absolutely superior. It joins the AC: Odyssey and Mass Effect ranks of it 100% seeming like this game was designed from the getgo to have a woman as the protagonist, and they include the dude because corporate probably said so.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Yeah, FC6. And drat I'm missing the grapple too. Even frickin Halo has one now.

thecluckmeme posted:

Another little thing in the game is that the woman's voice acting is IMO just absolutely superior. It joins the AC: Odyssey and Mass Effect ranks of it 100% seeming like this game was designed from the getgo to have a woman as the protagonist, and they include the dude because corporate probably said so.

Absolutely. I went with male first , but restarted recently with female Dani after seeing a few YouTube s eyes with her.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Batman Arkham City is another fantastic open world game with the ability to fly and grapple baked right in. One of the best open world games ever in my book.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Adding the hookshot back in alongside BotW's glide system would be rad as hell if they could pull it off somehow, but that would be a massive challenge in a big open world compared to Gotham.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's a cute little visual gag in Soul Reaver 2 during the wind-themed dungeon. Basically, your goal is to activate these three big magic turbines. When you activate the first one, Raziel is caught off guard by how strong it is and has to cling to the stone altar to avoid getting sucked in. With the second and third ones, he has a different animation where he jumps out of the way and takes cover, because now he knows how it works.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Adding the hookshot back in alongside BotW's glide system would be rad as hell if they could pull it off somehow, but that would be a massive challenge in a big open world compared to Gotham.

Copy the grapnel boost from the Arkham games and it could work. Hookshot onto a tree or the side of a mountain and have it launch you up higher than the grapple point while giving a boost of speed for the glider. I liked BotW overall but a lot of my memory of it is just slowly climbing up the side of mountains to get somewhere, hopefully there's some sort of new traversal in the second one to cut down on that a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Copy the grapnel boost from the Arkham games and it could work. Hookshot onto a tree or the side of a mountain and have it launch you up higher than the grapple point while giving a boost of speed for the glider. I liked BotW overall but a lot of my memory of it is just slowly climbing up the side of mountains to get somewhere, hopefully there's some sort of new traversal in the second one to cut down on that a bit.

Just combine that with Just Cause's version of it. If you use it on an enemy you zip to them but if it's an environmental thing then you can launch into the air.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how the difficulty of finding the gems in Luigi's Mansion 3 is balanced - solving the puzzles is easy enough, just interact with a thing or have both luigi and gooigi interact with identical things, the tricky part is finding the correct thing to interact with, or figuring out how to get into the room that the thing is in. Those kinds of environmental puzzles are way more interesting in this kind of game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

Just combine that with Just Cause's version of it. If you use it on an enemy you zip to them but if it's an environmental thing then you can launch into the air.

Just Cause is so good. The best movement mechanics in a videogame, more or less.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Captain Hygiene posted:

but then they'd have to have actual meaningful item pickups!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

MDK of all games with its weird rear end cut-up ribbon paraglider was the first time I encountered a game with a dedicated 'you're gliding now' button unless you count Sonic & Knuckles and I'm with you, more games ought to have that kind of soft-fall stuff. A minor disappointment of the Arkham games for me was that Batman's cape only kinda sorta works that way, the man is very heavy.

edit: Except for when you grapple launch from a building into the air, then you get the full effect and Really Feel Like The Batman

Thank you for making me think of MDK for the first time in probably more than 20 years.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
One of the optional bosses in the final open region of Shin Megami Tensei V is a lineup of four of the demons from the very start of the game, jacked up to level 99. No updated skills or weaknesses/resistances, just statted like mad.

The best part is that they're actually pretty hard. They're not superboss material by any means, but they do really well at 'you think this is a joke and then they lay you out in one turn'.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Philippe posted:

Just Cause is so good. The best movement mechanics in a videogame, more or less.

I still boot up number 3 from time to time just to fly about.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I miss the hookshot from JC, the grapple in FC6 is actually kind of fun once you get into some areas where you can actually swing and launch yourself with it. You can get some decent air with it, enough that I've almost launched myself past the roof I was trying to swing onto.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

One of the optional bosses in the final open region of Shin Megami Tensei V is a lineup of four of the demons from the very start of the game, jacked up to level 99. No updated skills or weaknesses/resistances, just statted like mad.

The best part is that they're actually pretty hard. They're not superboss material by any means, but they do really well at 'you think this is a joke and then they lay you out in one turn'.

Do they still have the base moves or are they using -dyne level stuff

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I said it before but Astalon was a fun little game and I highly recommend it. On top of a great old-school NES style exploration game you also get:

* Not one but two additional game modes that totally change how you approach obstacles in the game
* A pretty difficult boss-rush mode that has built-in lottery mechanics for items making each attempt unique
* Once you 100% the game, it gives you a stinger for the upcoming sequel

All that said, quick question for other folks who have played the game. How do I access NG+
There's supposedly a totally new map arrangement that makes the game much more challenging but I have no idea how to access it. Selecting my game clear file just puts me back at the end of the game. Selecting a new file doesn't give me an option for NG+.

Is it just not available in the Playstation version?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Morpheus posted:

Do they still have the base moves or are they using -dyne level stuff

The base moves, but at level 99 they're probably pumping out more damage with them than you are with the -Dynes at the level you find them.

And due to a quirk of how it calculates damage, a tick of the poison one of them inflicts deals ~500 damage.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Philippe posted:

I'm playing Dying Light, and I'm having a whale of a time! Yesterday I stood on a stone outcropping and watched as a zombie repeatedly ate poo poo as it was trying to climb up to me. I even kicked it down once when it managed to get up to my level.

5/5, no notes.

Dying Light is a wonderful little game. I really like the game's treatment of the zombie horde as more of an environmental hazard rather than a series of targets for the player to exert violence on. Generally speaking the best way of dealing with the undead is to bypass them entirely. Once you get the movement system down, traveraing the game space has a wonderful flow.

One of my favorite little things is that if you get the drop on a hostile living person, you can hold them up with an empty gun. However, if you accidentally pull the trigger and let them know the gun is empty they'll immediately rush you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's ridiculous how many secrets there are in each floor in Luigi's Mansion 3. I've found what feels like 15 secret areas or triggers in the third floor but only 5 of the 6 gems (gonna wait til I've done everything else and then at the end of the game buy the gem locators from the store for any gems I've failed to find just searching) and it makes each level feel really intricate because of how much there is to interact with. Just a ton of secret poo poo that gives you stuff like chests full of money.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

Thank you for making me think of MDK for the first time in probably more than 20 years.

Non Non Rien N'a Changé

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was so psyched when MDK showed up on the X-Files, because that's just how loving 90s it was back then

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good news! I played Dead Space again which means I'm about to psychically assault you with more little details! The stupidly huge engine in the refueling chamber on the Engineering deck is for some reason modeled on the game's 3D map. Here's me losing my mind about it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazingElatedSashimiTriHard-4TdFxlhCa4uHZT8o

I just think it's so neat that if you're wondering what the thing looks like beyond all the fog and darkness in this bigass room, you can open the map and it's just there for no reason in scale model form.

edit:

Also, looking at it closer, it kinda looks a bit like the Ishimura hovering over a crater?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jan 19, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Bogmonster posted:

Mafia III has a lot of cool little moments, and its pretty awesome that all the dlc is now available for free in the definitive edition. Anyway, I want to talk about the culmination of a story mission.

...I guess I just wanted to comment on this since, coincidentally, I just got on the boat when I decided to take a break and gently caress around on the forums.

I didn't read the rest of what you wrote though, since I haven't finished that part.

Mafia III is really good. I love the friendship between Lincoln and the loving fed guy. I want to hate him on principal but he's really charismatic and their friendship feels really genuine.

Just to add Mafia III things that I particularly like -- very few games make me ever feel like running away is actually an option. Most games you are a powerful motherfucker designed to blast through everything, OR there are specific segments where the game shoehorns you into having to run away, find higher ground, etc. It's rare that I think a game organically creates scenarios where you are actually seriously outgunned and need to get the gently caress out of there. I can't think of any mission from any Grand Theft Auto game where running away wasn't specifically part of the mission.

Also the AI is really drat good at flanking. The game does suffer from a lot of cop-spawning, and sometimes it does really weird things like... I was in a sewer, and the cops were after me, and I ran into a dead end. I turned around, and then got shot from behind, because the game spawned a cop behind me, in the dead end. And every time I spun around and was facing the other way, another cop spawned, until I had like a five cop sewer death squad that materialized out of the pipes or something.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Jan 19, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I didn't engage the cops that much when I played Mafia 3, for the same reasons you said.

It's rare to have a game that deals with racism in such a frank and uncensored way. Lincoln is a Black guy going around killing white folks, and people in the game world react to it like they would (other POC are frustrated with him because it makes their lives harder, the racist radio guy makes tirades about him, there's a copycat case where a couple Black guys kill a police officer, etc). It's not a racist game, but it has plenty of racism in it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just cause we're on Just Cause.

JC3. The devs spent extra times to model prettier explosions. The game is 6 years old, and it's still got some of the nicest looking explosions out. Just ripping the legs off of a giant sphere tank, and watching it chain detonate a bunch of smaller fuel tanks before exploding in a ridiculous fireball? It's a thing of absolute beauty.

It is asked, can a video game be art? Well, if hooking a guard to an oxy-acetylene tank, shooting it and causing it to drag that screaming fellow through the air and into a helicopter which all explodes filling the region with flaming debris and more explosions isn't somehow art, I don't know what is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Good news! I played Dead Space again which means I'm about to psychically assault you with more little details! The stupidly huge engine in the refueling chamber on the Engineering deck is for some reason modeled on the game's 3D map. Here's me losing my mind about it.

I just think it's so neat that if you're wondering what the thing looks like beyond all the fog and darkness in this bigass room, you can open the map and it's just there for no reason in scale model form.

edit:

Also, looking at it closer, it kinda looks a bit like the Ishimura hovering over a crater?

It makes sense that they would have the engine in there, especially if you have to go do maintenance on that thing and want to check which room would be closest to the part you have to service. Or even just as a giant landmark so you can get your bearings if you get turned around going to an area that you don't normally frequent.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

edit:

The level design and its integration into basically everything is so good in Dead Space, it's the main reason it's one of my favorite games.
I mean, of COURSE the engineering rig has a detailed 3D map of the engine. Makes sense. In real life, not in games, where it's the kind of small touch that shows someone cared.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Just cause we're on Just Cause.

JC3. The devs spent extra times to model prettier explosions. The game is 6 years old, and it's still got some of the nicest looking explosions out. Just ripping the legs off of a giant sphere tank, and watching it chain detonate a bunch of smaller fuel tanks before exploding in a ridiculous fireball? It's a thing of absolute beauty.

It is asked, can a video game be art? Well, if hooking a guard to an oxy-acetylene tank, shooting it and causing it to drag that screaming fellow through the air and into a helicopter which all explodes filling the region with flaming debris and more explosions isn't somehow art, I don't know what is.

Using just a wingsuit and a grappling hook to kill three hundred Bad Guys and dismantle a nuclear launch site without ever firing a bullet or touching the ground.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Philippe posted:

I didn't engage the cops that much when I played Mafia 3, for the same reasons you said.

It's rare to have a game that deals with racism in such a frank and uncensored way. Lincoln is a Black guy going around killing white folks, and people in the game world react to it like they would (other POC are frustrated with him because it makes their lives harder, the racist radio guy makes tirades about him, there's a copycat case where a couple Black guys kill a police officer, etc). It's not a racist game, but it has plenty of racism in it.

Yeah I think this is what I love about it as well. It deals with the time period in a realistic, frank and interesting way. And I think it's a good argument for how games can deal with themes like racism.

Sure, it's still an open world crime sim but everything from the layout of the city, the soundtrack, the driving and even the collectibles (vintage playboy and hot rod magazines) has this coherent strong sense of place and time. I never really got into the previous Mafia games but this one is fantastic.

Bogmonster has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jan 19, 2022

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

credburn posted:

Mafia III is really good. I love the friendship between Lincoln and the loving fed guy. I want to hate him on principal but he's really charismatic and their friendship feels really genuine.
I'm currently replaying Mafia III, and I've come to the realization that Donovan is almost literally the devil (contrasting with Father James, the angel). After the intro, the plot is kicked into motion with Lincoln summoning him by simply evoking his name, and all of a sudden you've got a super-charismatic and all-knowing helper indulging all of your worst impulses while assisting you in your murder-filled revenge spree.

This is made even more clear in the ending where he encourages you not only to fully take over the city, but to kill all of the underbosses that helped you get there. If you follow his advice, you finally receive your comeuppance and are killed.

He's also involved in one of the most insane post-credit sequences of all time.

The writing and direction in the cutscenes in that game are so goddamn good.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jokymi posted:

The writing and direction in the cutscenes in that game are so goddamn good.

Having it be congressional hearings was pretty cool

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah I really liked that, and just the whole game tbh. It did the kinda crime fantasy I wanted in the exact right way, like how bad guys dont all instantly die and flop down when shot. No they crawl away, or slide down their cover with a blood streak, its pure movie poo poo and its great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I had the exact same reaction when I picked up the game and saw its framing device, it's so well done and I'm surprised there aren't more period piece games that shoot for something like that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Going from Mafia 3's frank and honest portrayal of segregation, to AC Unity's "the french revolution is bad and totally a templar plot, Royalists are martyrs" outlook was tonal whiplash to say the least.

I can't say if AC Valhalla was pro-colonial because that game is incredibly loving boring and I stopped after 20 hours.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Going from Mafia 3's frank and honest portrayal of segregation, to AC Unity's "the french revolution is bad and totally a templar plot, Royalists are martyrs" outlook was tonal whiplash to say the least.

I can't say if AC Valhalla was pro-colonial because that game is incredibly loving boring and I stopped after 20 hours.

That game really pads out the time it takes to do anything. Odyssey had a "Buy Max" button for buying crafting materials. Valhalla? Nope, wait the full 9.5 seconds to fill up your order on fukkin obisdian, drengr.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I actually liked Valhalla pretty well but man it had so many design steps backward from Odyssey. I guess that's what happens when you just toss out sequels to different dev teams so you can crank them out faster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rear end Creed ends up with really weird and awful hot takes because of its moronic metaplot no one likes it wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

rear end Creed ends up with really weird and awful hot takes because of its moronic metaplot no one likes it wants

I like the meta plot :colbert:

At least I did back when it was at the level of the Pope is a secret ancient alien, now fight him in space wackiness

Focusing on just templar vs assassin stuff is mega boring though