Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Which I don't mind as long as you're paying for the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

tortilla_chip posted:

Which I don't mind as long as you're paying for the phone.

That's an issue between the vendor and their employee, not us.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

We've got some people at my company who are more than willing to do on-call and will take shifts from other people. Mostly because it's fairly quiet and you get a decent chunk of change just for the week alone. They will also happily answer their phone call after hours or on vacation because "that's what a team is for".

At my MSP of 4 total people we don’t get paid extra for on call! It’s dogshit!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I spend 5 hours driving to and from a site on a 2 day a week schedule which includes toll roads and traffic to be there at 9 and to leave by 5. I am not paid for gas, tolls, or my huge travel time. I also get pulled into driving other far away places semi frequently. If I am in the city and there is an on site emergency and I don’t have my car, I have to figure out how to get there and won’t be reimbursed for it. I don’t get paid extra for an on call that covers 5 nights and a weekend in a 21 day period, regardless of the hours I put in. This weekend, I logged 10 hours and was expected to be in normal time on Monday. We support any type of phone, wifi system, server, router, switch, nvr, sound system, camera system, vm, firewall, printer, scanner, or POS system a client might use. We have clients of all types. gently caress, I even have to troubleshoot for in house applications with GUIs from the 80s! I get to learn a lot of marketable stuff and I’m just breaking into the field, but for the scraps they’re paying me, it’s tough to stick with this MSP thing. Ugh.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm certain that they didn't pass on the message but I responded to one recruiter spam with "tell your clients they're paying less than they pay people to stock shelves at the grocery store."\

I applied to another 20-30 jobs today, eventually it has to pay off.

This was me until last month, then i had to stop for mental health reason after doing for over a year.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

ASAPRockySituation posted:

I spend 5 hours driving to and from a site on a 2 day a week schedule which includes toll roads and traffic to be there at 9 and to leave by 5. I am not paid for gas, tolls, or my huge travel time. I also get pulled into driving other far away places semi frequently. If I am in the city and there is an on site emergency and I don’t have my car, I have to figure out how to get there and won’t be reimbursed for it. I don’t get paid extra for an on call that covers 5 nights and a weekend in a 21 day period, regardless of the hours I put in. This weekend, I logged 10 hours and was expected to be in normal time on Monday. We support any type of phone, wifi system, server, router, switch, nvr, sound system, camera system, vm, firewall, printer, scanner, or POS system a client might use. We have clients of all types. gently caress, I even have to troubleshoot for in house applications with GUIs from the 80s! I get to learn a lot of marketable stuff and I’m just breaking into the field, but for the scraps they’re paying me, it’s tough to stick with this MSP thing. Ugh.

There are so many things wrong here and I am so sorry you have had to deal with this, I would split the second they said I had to pay for my own gas to drive to their clients. It sounds like you have a grasp on the fundamentals, have you considered applying for remote positions in other states? Anecdotally my company has started hiring people at various levels in their career who work 100% remote in several other states and we are a small shop, IMO.

Sepist posted:

That's an issue between the vendor and their employee, not us.

This is why one of our clients is IP restricted to 365, they were unwilling to provide phones to their email users.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oof, that's all awful. I really hate the MSP business. I feel like there's several labor violations in there.

When I worked for an MSP, I was able to get together with other engineers and start pushing back. It didn't make the place a dream to work for, but we were able to implement a lot of positive changes. I wonder if that would be an option here? I promise you the owner is making bank off of all the poo poo you just listed off.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

What the gently caress? :sever:

E: I've never worked for an msp so maybe that's not so unusual but it sounds awful. And I guess you gotta do your time in the trenches, but don't stay a minute longer than you have to. That employer is very bad

CloFan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 19, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

Yeah, I mean, this really is the right answer. The market is too hot to put up with that poo poo.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

At the very least your entitled to mileage.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Where are you located? No matter what you need to get out but let us help you do so.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CloFan posted:

E: I've never worked for an msp so maybe that's not so unusual but it sounds awful. And I guess you gotta do your time in the trenches, but don't stay a minute longer than you have to. That employer is very bad

this is 100% typical msp work and was very much like my first job in IT, i couldn't afford to work there for this type of poo poo.

incoherent posted:

At the very least your entitled to mileage.

you aren't but you can claim it on your tax return so write down all that mileage you travel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jfc that would be completely illegal here. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

WTF. The job market is as good as its ever been. Even if you're new to IT and just getting started there are definitely better places to work. Start looking when you can, you're bound to find something better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Our "return to the office*" plan looks to be to move out of our actual office and instead have people come in two days a week to a co-working space. So I'd be undocking my laptop from its two displays and working in some WeWork-clone with a limited number of colleagues without access to an external display. The excuse is some vague stuff about collaboration but we all know it's because poor managers have no idea what to do when they can't observe their reports, and this is guaranteed to make me less productive anyway.

Yes I'm job hunting, lmao.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm going to a new office today where we're dragging all the (last two years) work from home folk into. 130 people. Today is their first day.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I got out of an on site job and my new contract says my place of work is home.

The first week we got a new CIO and apparently she has said things it would be nice to see everyone, but everyone loves the wfh life.

I've been to the office twice and literally no one else was there so I assume there will be a big push back to retain WFH.

If they make me go in, I think what will happen is they will question my mileage claim, realise they have to pay it, then not ask me back in unless its actually important

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes I'm job hunting, lmao.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a new place.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I had to do an email trace on an employee who sent some rude emails to a customer and the person requesting it completely misinterpreted what little I provided and came to the opposite conclusion so I guess I don’t feel too bad about potentially getting someone fired from a lovely customer service job. Dumb move on the employee though to send email from their work account. I don’t enjoy being a computer snitch.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

George H.W. oval office posted:

I had to do an email trace on an employee who sent some rude emails to a customer and the person requesting it completely misinterpreted what little I provided and came to the opposite conclusion so I guess I don’t feel too bad about potentially getting someone fired from a lovely customer service job. Dumb move on the employee though to send email from their work account. I don’t enjoy being a computer snitch.

Wait what? You didnt include the entire context of the communication? Would that have changed anything?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

WTF. The job market is as good as its ever been. Even if you're new to IT and just getting started there are definitely better places to work. Start looking when you can, you're bound to find something better.

Speaking of being new to IT, I noped out of the bar business when Delta started ramping up, and did one of those cybersecurity bootcamps while living off savings and a (very) small inheritance and I don’t wanna go back to the Covid mines if I don’t gotta.

I’m taking my Sec+ next month and hoping to follow up shortly after with Network+. I’m thinking I might not be able to walk into a Cyber analyst/engineer job (although one of my classmates did). What are some possibilities for a bachelor’s-haver with a lot of book smarts but lesser amounts of practical experience? I’m teaching myself Python but my coding skills are still minimal.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

More to the story here if you can share?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I provided “this email from the ticketing system originated from this location(VA), these other rude ones not from the ticketing system originated from this other location (city near us in TX where employee lives)” and the dude interpreted it as the rude emails originating from VA.

Like I gave them what they asked for and provided enough context for their request. I’m not gonna build their case and add in my own interpretation. I’m also not gonna go back and correct him either because I simply don’t care enough to get someone fired for letting off steam stupidly.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Coolnezzz posted:

There are so many things wrong here and I am so sorry you have had to deal with this, I would split the second they said I had to pay for my own gas to drive to their clients. It sounds like you have a grasp on the fundamentals, have you considered applying for remote positions in other states? Anecdotally my company has started hiring people at various levels in their career who work 100% remote in several other states and we are a small shop, IMO.

It’s something I want to do, but I need to get the experience under my belt first, I think. I’ve gotten to be pretty good with all of the Microsoft admin portals, AD, Fortigate, UniFi, Mimecast, Datto of all types, and how to do a ton of l1/2 troubleshooting for uncountable vendors of varying product ages. I even learned what you go through on a zero day thanks to logfuckJ! I don’t want to load up on certs so I’m trying to soread them out so an HR hirer doesn’t just say lolbraindump. I don’t have a relevant degree as this was a full pivot out of logistics middle upper management which was unsurprisingly cancerous. So with an A+ alone..yeah. Need some time.

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof, that's all awful. I really hate the MSP business. I feel like there's several labor violations in there.

When I worked for an MSP, I was able to get together with other engineers and start pushing back. It didn't make the place a dream to work for, but we were able to implement a lot of positive changes. I wonder if that would be an option here? I promise you the owner is making bank off of all the poo poo you just listed off.

This is good advice and there are some pushbacks, but it’s just the owner, a tech he bestowed manager on, and then me and a colleague who is used to this after 3 years, so I’m going it alone for the most part.

CloFan posted:

I will leave as soon as I can, but I thought it would be interesting to remind the thread what MSP means. Or at least, for me so far :negative:

Thanks all for your condolences, as always I’ll post when horrible funny things happen

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't feel bad.

I felt bad when I proved someone DID NOT send an email but the powers that be still ignored it. Then I quit caring.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

navyjack posted:

Speaking of being new to IT, I noped out of the bar business when Delta started ramping up, and did one of those cybersecurity bootcamps while living off savings and a (very) small inheritance and I don’t wanna go back to the Covid mines if I don’t gotta.

I’m taking my Sec+ next month and hoping to follow up shortly after with Network+. I’m thinking I might not be able to walk into a Cyber analyst/engineer job (although one of my classmates did). What are some possibilities for a bachelor’s-haver with a lot of book smarts but lesser amounts of practical experience? I’m teaching myself Python but my coding skills are still minimal.

Security has the self inflicted problem of needing lots of people while simultaneously not having entry level positions generally.

If it were me I'd start by looking for SOC jobs that are posted. You have a leg up having a degree, a lot of government positions will require that so there is a potential opportunity for you. Having coding skills will be insanely beneficial for you in the long run as well.

I will say, in my experience at least, that hiring for new SOC analyst positions the biggest skill gap we saw was lack of networking knowledge so if you know the fundamentals there you will be in good shape.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It has been seven years now since I finally got out from under the pair of rear end in a top hat bosses who wanted to get rid of me, and still, my VP forgets to include me in one meeting and I think, "Oh poo poo, I hope this doesn't mean she's going to fire me." This is a good gig and back then I couldn't find a better one, but I might be more mentally healthy now if I'd taken a pay cut and gotten the hell out in 2014.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It has been seven years now since I finally got out from under the pair of rear end in a top hat bosses who wanted to get rid of me, and still, my VP forgets to include me in one meeting and I think, "Oh poo poo, I hope this doesn't mean she's going to fire me." This is a good gig and back then I couldn't find a better one, but I might be more mentally healthy now if I'd taken a pay cut and gotten the hell out in 2014.

Never too late to sever and hop into a healthier environment. I think we might have set a record for :yotj: last year and hopefully Goons keep the good momentum going this year.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now is the best time to get out. Actually, now is always the best time to get out from a bad place.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wasn't in tech during the first dot com boom so I don't know what the late 90's and early 00's were like, but I don't think I've seen a better job market for experienced tech employees since I started in IT in 2006. It's even better now so many positions are remote.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I wasn't in tech during the first dot com boom so I don't know what the late 90's and early 00's were like, but I don't think I've seen a better job market for experienced tech employees since I started in IT in 2006. It's even better now so many positions are remote.

If you were a white dude who could spell computer they were pretty amazing. A recruiter told me I was going to interview for a helpdesk position. But the resume he sent to Compaq made me look like an junior Java developer. As you could imagine, that made the interview weird until we figured it out. Despite that, I almost got offered the position. It was the loving wild west, with drat near no one in the hiring process having any idea if your qualifications were relevant.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm spamming my resume to anything that I have any remote chance of getting, basically. The "you miss every shot you don't take" approach taking advantage of Linkedin's easy apply taking like 10 seconds per application. I'll be happy with a 3% reply rate.

Think of it like interview practice considering SO much of it will be positions you'll never take, most of it is such poo poo.

I just put my resume on Dice the other day and I'm treating the job search like a reverse auction now

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
TIL even though you can't nest groups in M365, you can nest a shared mailbox into a group.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ooof someone sent me a request for me to do something for them marked high importance in Outlook ! I feel like I have to ignore the request for at least a week now

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

klosterdev posted:

TIL even though you can't nest groups in M365, you can nest a shared mailbox into a group.

A shared mailbox is just a regular mailbox that doesn't (usually) need a license and can't be directly logged into. Outside of that, you can treat it the same as any other mailbox.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Thomamelas posted:

If you were a white dude who could spell computer they were pretty amazing. A recruiter told me I was going to interview for a helpdesk position. But the resume he sent to Compaq made me look like an junior Java developer. As you could imagine, that made the interview weird until we figured it out. Despite that, I almost got offered the position. It was the loving wild west, with drat near no one in the hiring process having any idea if your qualifications were relevant.

Imagine a world where anyone that started a computer store or anything technology related thought they'd be driving a Bentley in 3 years time. Where showing that you could hand code HTML was an instant job offer. I used to charge $150 flat fee to put contact forms on sites using sendmail (or whatever it was called) CGI scripts. I got hired by one place only because I knew how to make image maps and rollovers in Dreamweaver.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thomamelas posted:

Imagine working at a place that believed that “hardware is cheap. Time is money.” so you had near unlimited resources to bring to bear on anything.

Need to stand up an email server? Buy four servers two fiber switches and a dual-head fiber-channel SAN for storage and redundancy.

Need a new office stood up? Buy two firewalls, four switches, two 1U domain controllers, 1 or 2 file servers, one backup server with a 4-drive tape library, and a grip of app servers for whatever.

And fly first class round-trip and stay in four-star hotels and sushi for lunch and steak and martini dinners every night so you can stand all that gear up.

And all the “smart” ones took a 20/80 cash/equity salary for the eventual IPO big payout and took home loans against that equity.

Hell, in 2000 at the leading edge of the dot-bomb bust just before everything turned to poo poo for IT, I was laid off from my gig while in escrow for my house. I called my escrow officer about it and he asked what I did for a living. “I’m in IT,” I said. “Oh! You’ll find work in no time! Don’t sweat it!”

He approved a $450,000 loan for me while I was unemployed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol america owns

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Sepist posted:

My favorite is a video that seems normal then you pass through the background while you're sitting at your desk.

Get ManyCam record play back and loop yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Agrikk posted:

Protip:

When in a meeting with a whole bunch of semi informed people all of whom have an opinion about how it ought to be, sit back and let them all pontificate. They will go around and around and ideas will be flying off the walls and everyone will be excitedly offering up their opinions on this, that and the other.

Then, when the energy winds down and people panic as they begin to realize that they are no closer to a solution than when they started, simply lean forward and say, "Why can't we just use this empty left hand for backup jobs?"

Since your voice is new and hasn't blended into the background din, and people are tired and panicky, yours will be the solution offered simply because yours is the voice of reason at the end of a pointless and fruitless discussion.

Basic strat: throw out red meat questions that lock them in to endless disagreements / debates. Let animals fight over it