Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The dual-booster jump in 1 was so nasty they made sure to never do anything like it again, that one stood out when I played Remastered last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
A lot has been said about how fun Deep Rock Galactic can be but not enough about how nice it is that it takes up only 2.5 gigs. Every single competitor is at least 10 gigs, often 50-100. DRG you can leave installed and forget about it.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
1.25gb of rock, 1.25gb of stone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are there mods to fix Dead Space 1 with V sync turned off? It's a real bummer that the only ways to play it are the super dated console versions, or at 30 fps on PC...Or without Vsync which totally breaks the physics and everything is just bouncing all over the place. It's tragic because otherwise the game still looks great.

Dead Space 2 doesn't seem to have this problem. Played about half of it and it still looks goddamn amazing at 120fps. It could have been released this year and I"d still consider it a drat good looking game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

Are there mods to fix Dead Space 1 with V sync turned off? It's a real bummer that the only ways to play it are the super dated console versions, or at 30 fps on PC...Or without Vsync which totally breaks the physics and everything is just bouncing all over the place. It's tragic because otherwise the game still looks great.

Dead Space 2 doesn't seem to have this problem. Played about half of it and it still looks goddamn amazing at 120fps. It could have been released this year and I"d still consider it a drat good looking game.

have you tried disabling vsync ingame, but forcing it on or limiting the FPS through your gpu control panel?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space

Rinkles is correct. Dead Space on PC is such a pain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks guys I'll give that a shot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GreatGreen posted:

Spyro is not for kids. It's a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I would consider the dexterity requirement to beat Spyro about the same as what you'd need to beat Celeste.

The game was made before fancy modern concepts like "accessibility" and "not being designed by assholes" and the port does not let up on this at all. It's very pretty, and the animations are beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was just looking to have a good time playing a video game.

lol most people who completed spyro did so in their childhood

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Spyro is not for kids. It's a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I would consider the dexterity requirement to beat Spyro about the same as what you'd need to beat Celeste.

The game was made before fancy modern concepts like "accessibility" and "not being designed by assholes" and the port does not let up on this at all. It's very pretty, and the animations are beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was just looking to have a good time playing a video game.

Kids don't know better.

If the game is too hard for them to reliably beat then that's just a bonus, cause you can have them bang their head at it for ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some of the hardest games ever were specifically designed for children so that they couldn't beat the game in the span of a single weekend rental and would have to get their parents to buy it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SirSamVimes posted:

Either that or you put it down and play it 20 years later

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Most of my childhood involved not completing games or beating them with cheat codes.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Alright so I've heard a lot of good things about Deep Rock Galactic but how is it solo or with pubbies and with no mic? I've been playing WWZ with pubbies and for the most part it's actually really fun so I'm tempted to check out DRG now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Det_no posted:

A lot has been said about how fun Deep Rock Galactic can be but not enough about how nice it is that it takes up only 2.5 gigs. Every single competitor is at least 10 gigs, often 50-100. DRG you can leave installed and forget about it.

Yeah, me and a friend wanted to give it a try on a whim and it was such a pleasant surprise to see that you don't have to download like tens of gigabytes.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Alright so I've heard a lot of good things about Deep Rock Galactic but how is it solo or with pubbies and with no mic? I've been playing WWZ with pubbies and for the most part it's actually really fun so I'm tempted to check out DRG now.

Some people like playing solo a lot but it's a bit flat to me because the four classes have very different capabilities, and they way they come together to support each other is part of the fun. I still do it every now and then when I'm just not feeling up for a group.

Random pubby groups usually work great. Almost nobody uses voice chat - you have a laser pointer that calls things out to your team when you click on them and a key you can press to shout a random variation of ROCK AND STONE, and that's almost always the only communication needed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
with random groups, very few people use voice chat in drg. you can put markers on objects of interest and usually people will understand what you mean. if someone points out something high up generally an engineer will stick a platform under it and a scout will zip up to grab it. there are the odd aggravating exceptions, but usually pubbies can do at least that much.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I would let DRG pubbies come into my wedding.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought this was the FF14 thread and was very confused at everyone talking about DRG.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

I would let DRG pubbies come into my wedding.

Depending on your enthusiasm about DRG pubbies, I can see two ways in which this sentence should be fixed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That early spyro level with the trains and the hoops and the aeroplanes and the chests is some major split second decision making training

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
DRG has a pretty great community for some reason, just party up with random pubbies and go nuts.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hollandia posted:

DRG has a pretty great community for some reason, just party up with random pubbies and go nuts.

Pure coop experience, great complementarity of classes, good no-chat-required communication with laser pointer behaviour. And then there's the shout key. FOR KARL!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks all, sounds perfect for some chilled pubbie play!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FishMcCool posted:

Depending on your enthusiasm about DRG pubbies, I can see two ways in which this sentence should be fixed.

ROCK.AND.STONE

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Having a dedicated key to shout out a rallying cry is such a good feature in a co-op game. I'm playing Monster Hunter Rise now which is a very good co-op experience, but there are so many moments when I want to press the "gently caress yeah guys" button and it's just...not there

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Triarii posted:

Having a dedicated key to shout out a rallying cry is such a good feature in a co-op game. I'm playing Monster Hunter Rise now which is a very good co-op experience, but there are so many moments when I want to press the "gently caress yeah guys" button and it's just...not there

Some stickers serve that function pretty well. At least that's what I used in World.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Triarii posted:

I don't know if they're the first to unify random shouts under a single button, but that's a great design indeed and it should be more widespread. You cut out the whole open emote menu/wheel -> browse through emotes -> activate the one you want or find that you forgot to equip it in your current set. And nothing is lost in translation, whatever your dwarf screams/does totally fits the moment.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Pure coop experience, great complementarity of classes, good no-chat-required communication with laser pointer behaviour. And then there's the shout key. FOR KARL!

Can confirm. My playtime is only coming up on thirty hours, but this has been my experience as well. Aside from the somewhat unreliable mantling mechanic, where you face the edge of a surface above you and climb up it, everything feels just right.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Triarii posted:

Just hold down left bumper then cycle through your quick wheel with right trigger until you find the wheel with all the emotes then push the right stick in the direction of the emote then let off the stick, then off left bumper.

It's not a clunky or badly designed interface at all

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

see also: EDF

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space

Rinkles is correct. Dead Space on PC is such a pain.

Wow, terrible mouse acceleration and overly large deadzones on controller thumbsticks?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A good poster posted:

Wow, terrible mouse acceleration and overly large deadzones on controller thumbsticks?

That's about typical for PC ports of console games back in the mid 2000s. It's far from the worst PC port of that era as well

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SirSamVimes posted:

I found the final boss impossible as an idiot child lmao, and I couldn't tell you why now

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Coming in here to do a quick shout out for unique, one of a kind arcade racer Buck Up and Drive!

My own steam review posted:

Buck Up and Drive is a one of a kind Outrun-style drive forever game that has a fast paced frenetic energy thanks to its unique mechanics.
- Drifting is generous, and you can build up three levels of drift boosts. Which stack with the speedups on the ground, blasting way above the usual top speed if you can chain them together.
- Some speedups blast you into the sky, where you can do tricks and roll side to side...
- ...which helps because you can maintain a high speed if you grind
- There's lots of traffic though! You can avoid them...
- Or use your drift boost's invincibility frames to blast through them, assuming you could get one level of drift boost charged
- Wait, you don't have time to build up energy before hitting a car? No worries, just go into a drift and do a quarter circle motion to initiate a spin attack that's as invincible as the one in Final Fight
- If you're invincible while hitting other vehicles, you get points!
- But do this too much and the POPO come to harass you. It starts with merely trying to crash into you head on, before escalating into other special moves that include the likes of homing backflips
- Also you can get rival battles against other cars, beat them in a segment to win
- Did I mention there's a one on one car battle mode?

It's a great game that's quite unlike anything else out there. I only have two cons for it, one minor and one, sadly, major, to me.
- I think we can improve the replayability of this game by having a mode with an end to the areas you traverse. Right now you try to beat the clock as you go through area by area, but maybe there could be a mode where you go through only 10 sections, or 30, or 50, whatever. Just so there's an end, and maybe you can compete against friends by seeing who gets the best score/time in that.
- The music. It's a great, catchy song. The keyword here, is song. There's only one. One track I really enjoy, but after two and a half hours of listening to it, I want something, anything else. Pls. pls

Great game, highly recommended

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

exquisite tea posted:

Some of the hardest games ever were specifically designed for children so that they couldn't beat the game in the span of a single weekend rental and would have to get their parents to buy it.

in the NES era in particular, a lot of Japanese games were made significantly more difficult for their Western releases and I think this was one of the major reasons why (game rentals are illegal under Japanese law)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:lmao:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao gently caress yeah

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New game from the Eastshade studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwqCKunR4Qk

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Aphex- posted:

- Deep Rock Galactic but how is it- with pubbies and with no mic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhPpRkCMRI

it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

it blows my mind how well DRG encourages and successfully engenders cooperation & mutual understanding between players who mostly don't type or say a drat thing