Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

Same, I just have a hard time keeping track of mechanics while maintaining DPS. My dancer is definitely still the go to fun class, but MCH is my other level 90 job and the parses are night and day. MCH has a really solid standard rotation and despite being a little underpowered right now, it's a lot easier to be "good" at it. Ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Keret posted:

For what it's worth, procs can now be separated out into their own bar for quick reference when they're up (called "Conditional Enhancements" under the enhancements/enfeeblements bar). It's been incredibly helpful for me on DNC, BLM, RDM, etc since I don't need to have many buttons showing anymore to track what is available.

wait where is this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

wait where is this

Go to the Status Bar HUD element and open up its Options menu, and there should be an option to split it into multiple bars.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

*stares in Warden of the Seven Hues*

I'm three away from big fish... hahaha... hah... haaa.. ahhhh :(

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the dps job you can not gently caress up while shitfaced? I'm talking double vision accidentally tabbed out of the Awful app twice while typing this post shitfaced

Depends what content you're planning on doing. For most normal content WHM is my go to "There is no way to gently caress this up. DoT, Glare go BRR, and assize off cooldown." Concession + whatever your aoe healing lily spell is more than enough to top everyone off. And if you need to rezz thin air has you covered.

When I need to spam content and turn off as many brain cells I always go for WHM.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is this the only place in ARR where you see that Louis guy?

OddObserver posted:

Also the opening movie, IIRC

This is from a few pages back, but...

I always found it odd that despite talking about Louisoix so many times, ARR never actually showed what he looked like, outside of the two above instances. I mean, when Minfilia talks to you about him for the first time, why not either do an Echo scene that's just a remade 1.0 cutscene featuring him, or a few screenshots with the sepia-tone added. That way a player still early in ARR could go "oh, that guy from the starting movie!"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ok, so I know amon's chapeau is the one true bard hat but have you SEEN the forgiven hat of aiming? Motherfucker's glorious

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, so I know amon's chapeau is the one true bard hat but have you SEEN the forgiven hat of aiming? Motherfucker's glorious

I had not, and you ain't lyin'.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Keret posted:

Both NIN and AST are in a kind of weird place where they require a substantial amount of extra work to play compared to the other jobs in their role for the same result, so people are left with the options of either playing them despite this because they like the challenge or the busyness, or else deciding that the extra work just isn't worth it and giving up on the job.

That's always been true for AST and NIN. Their whole deal was being the fiddly classes for their roles. Honestly AST is in a better place in comparison to the other healers than it has ever been. They do not need to touch it to make it simpler for people that don't like it. There's already other classes for people that don't like them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As an AST main, AST without the extra knobs and whistles is just WHM.

I like the high floor/high ceiling style of AST. Plus if you card properly, you'll basically never even consider being out of MP.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I've come to terms with the fact that not all jobs will be viable for all players, so I'm not suggesting they should or shouldn't rework NIN or AST from here, just that this seems like where both jobs are at with regards to the community.

That said, I would not be surprised if, for better or for worse, they do both get a further rework because at least according to the last round of numbers I saw, along with MNK they are currently the least popular jobs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like ast is waaaay better than whm right now. i played both in shb and got both to 90 and now whm is going in the freezer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think they should remove Lucid Dreaming and just bake it in to the base MP recovery rate.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

I think they should remove Lucid Dreaming and just bake it in to the base MP recovery rate.

Please yes let's give healers even less to actually worry about.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Please yes let's give healers even less to actually worry about.

In fairness, "press this button when you reach 50% MP" isn't exactly something to think about. And given AST, SCH and SGE all have MP regen built into their toolkit, it's only fair WHM gets something to help there.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

In fairness, "press this button when you reach 50% MP" isn't exactly something to think about. And given AST, SCH and SGE all have MP regen built into their toolkit, it's only fair WHM gets something to help there.

I think WHM getting more MP from using Assize will probably be the fix. I don't know what they were thinking about thin air in the 6.0 update aside from making Cleric Strike 100% free.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NJ Deac posted:

So with all of the universal praise I've been seeing for Endwalker, I'm considering trying FFXIV out for the first time. I imagine these questions have been covered elsewhere in the thread but I skimmed several pages and didn't see the topic discussed; apologies if these have been answered recently:

1) From what I can tell, there is literally no way to start a new account right now due SE's "fix" for the congestion issues. Is that correct, or is there some backdoor way to create a new account if I'm willing to skip the free trial or something? If there's no way in for new players, have they definitively announced when they'll be opening up again?

2) I have not seriously played an MMO since burning out on progression raiding in WoW a decade ago. I have since grown old, had kids, and don't have time like I used to for gaming. Is it possible to make meaningful progress through the storyline while playing maybe a half dozen hours a week, or am I setting myself up for disappointment - is it going to take me years to get to the interesting story beats? Mostly I'm just looking to check out the story and experience some low key dungeon stuff.

The game actually doesn’t need to be played like an mmo as you advance. A friend of mine played all of EW completely using the NPC party member option they give you. I think early on it is still a requirement to queue up for the story content that needs you to beat dungeons though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Never ever having to worry about MP management because lucid is just a constant thing is much less to worry about. WHM needs some more MP management poo poo but that's not what the post I quoted was talking about, they were talking about healers in general.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'd kind of prefer MP management to be more like "let's make Cure III worth casting literally ever but also make it quite expensive."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Personally I'd say that MP management should be 'Cure 1/Benefic 1 should be worth casting' but eh.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Glad you all enjoy the classes I find incredibly stressful I’ll be over here playing bard trying to pay more attention to my procs and buff lineups than avoiding aoe

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cure III's great if you wanna drop a massive heal on a group right after an equally massive raidwide but you won't often have a group stacked for it below extremes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The trick is to find the exact right time to cast Cure III right after a Stack Marker hit resolves or something. If I do it too late everyone runs away before I can cast it and I feel like a giant dunce

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
we had someone a while back complaining that reaper had to press their debuff every 30 seconds, remembering to press lucid absolutely contributes to the mental load of healing and removing it isn't a nothing

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

cheetah7071 posted:

we had someone a while back complaining that reaper had to press their debuff every 30 seconds, remembering to press lucid absolutely contributes to the mental load of healing and removing it isn't a nothing

Lucid tells you when to press it by coming off cooldown, reaper's thing has no cooldown and no indication around the vicinity of your hotbar unless you specifically set up debuffs to only show yours and drag it down there

if it were just like shadow fang/sonic break/drill, totally fine, but no, it's more like fracture than anything which feels wildly out of place in 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

Lucid tells you when to press it by coming off cooldown, reaper's thing has no cooldown and no indication around the vicinity of your hotbar unless you specifically set up debuffs to only show yours and drag it down there

if it were just like shadow fang/sonic break/drill, totally fine, but no, it's more like fracture than anything which feels wildly out of place in 2022

literally every healer has to set up their debuffs in the same way, as does every other class with an unkeepable DoT

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

admanb posted:

literally every healer has to set up their debuffs in the same way, as does every other class with an unkeepable DoT

those are healers and casters, aka things i will never play

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

monk, samurai, bard, paladin

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

samurai has it as part of a strict loop, paladin and monk, similarly, has theirs as part of a combo which you can feel out in a better proportion to just a disconnected single button

i don't play ranged either

yes i am dying on this hill

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tonight on Heavensward, Sassy Grandmas

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You don't even need to wait until 50% MP, you can just press it on cooldown and it's still doing work as long as you're casting any spells whatsoever.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Admittedly I don’t play healer on harder content, but I haven’t had more issues with WHM’s MP than I did before EW. I don’t tend to run out unless everything is going wrong to the point I need to be casting Cure II and Medica and raising when I’m out of Thin Air. Lilies are part of MP management because they don’t cost MP and if you have a Lily there’s basically no reason to use Cure II or Medica over a Lily cast.

That said, I’ve also been focusing on leveling my DPS first because I find that more irritating than leveling healers, so I haven’t played AST since EW came out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

Mister Olympus posted:

Mister Olympus posted:

samurai has it as part of a strict loop, paladin and monk, similarly, has theirs as part of a combo which you can feel out in a better proportion to just a disconnected single button

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Glad you all enjoy the classes I find incredibly stressful I’ll be over here playing bard trying to pay more attention to my procs and buff lineups than avoiding aoe

This

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm remembering now why I left Black Mage at 70 and didn't touch it at all during Shadowbringers. I normally love mages in MMOs but I'm just so bad at Black Mage and it hurts me :negative:

I think the major deciding factor in how bad I'm going to be at a job is how many plates I have to keep spinning. I might find Reaper's debuff kinda clunky (every time I have to reapply it, it feels like my momentum comes to a screeching halt) but it's just one plate to spin, and the rest is a nice easy build/spend, so it's no problem. Black Mage, though? Gotta keep up AF/UI, gotta make sure I don't overcap on Polyglots while also probably saving one for movement, gotta keep up Thunder, gotta remember to Sharpcast as many Thunder IIIs as possible so I can guarantee Thundercloud procs, and also if I have to move my brain goes "OH NO" and I instantly lose track of all the timers.

It's not a problem with the job. It is very much designed that way on purpose and it's something a lot of people love. It's not you, Black Mage, it's me.

Can't wait to get this to 90 and then not touch it again for two years. I will absolutely be leveling 81-90 with trusts so no other players witness my shameful play.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

It's part of a combat rotation for those other classes as well. 30 seconds into my rotation I'm gonna E-Dosis again.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Harrow posted:

I'm remembering now why I left Black Mage at 70 and didn't touch it at all during Shadowbringers. I normally love mages in MMOs but I'm just so bad at Black Mage and it hurts me :negative:

I think the major deciding factor in how bad I'm going to be at a job is how many plates I have to keep spinning. I might find Reaper's debuff kinda clunky (every time I have to reapply it, it feels like my momentum comes to a screeching halt) but it's just one plate to spin, and the rest is a nice easy build/spend, so it's no problem. Black Mage, though? Gotta keep up AF/UI, gotta make sure I don't overcap on Polyglots while also probably saving one for movement, gotta keep up Thunder, gotta remember to Sharpcast as many Thunder IIIs as possible so I can guarantee Thundercloud procs, and also if I have to move my brain goes "OH NO" and I instantly lose track of all the timers.

It's not a problem with the job. It is very much designed that way on purpose and it's something a lot of people love. It's not you, Black Mage, it's me.

Can't wait to get this to 90 and then not touch it again for two years. I will absolutely be leveling 81-90 with trusts so no other players witness my shameful play.

Same, on all counts.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Is slamming a thundercloud proc early in the debuff timer even worth loving your rotation? I'm an amateur blm at best but I always preferred to keep my fire windows rolling and only reapply thunder if it was getting near to wearing off. Hitting a cloud proc 5 sec after applying it in the first place never feels worth the GCD

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hazardousmouse posted:

Is slamming a thundercloud proc early in the debuff timer even worth loving your rotation? I'm an amateur blm at best but I always preferred to keep my fire windows rolling and only reapply thunder if it was getting near to wearing off. Hitting a cloud proc 5 sec after applying it in the first place never feels worth the GCD

yes because when it procs you not only reapply the dot but you get damage equal to the standard potency plus the full dot potency immediately as well. Always smash that proc. For example, thunder 1 does 275 potency to a single target, thunder 2 does 140 to all targets, thunder 3 deals 400 potency to a single target, and thunder 4 does 170 to all targets in addition to refreshing the dots.

e: someone can probably correct me, but on a casual glance it seems like regardless of rotation thundercloud procs are your most damaging spells period. fire 4 with astral fire buff might technically do more upfront damage, but the potency amount is lower than procced t3. Foul and Xenoglossy are the only buttons that have more potency on the label than a procced t3's up front damage not even counting the dot.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally downed P1S :yotj: it took me around a week on PF but I managed to find the one group where we did good enough DPS (most other groups enraged at 5-10%, this one downed it even with a half-wipe-into-healer-lb3 during pizza chains). First time I clear Savage content when relevant!

Now to P2S which is gonna be worse, of course...