Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally downed P1S :yotj: it took me around a week on PF but I managed to find the one group where we did good enough DPS (most other groups enraged at 5-10%, this one downed it even with a half-wipe-into-healer-lb3 during pizza chains). First time I clear Savage content when relevant!

Now to P2S which is gonna be worse, of course...

Congrats! P2S, in my opinion, is easier than P1S. But that might also be because we've had more practice on P2S since it took us longer to clear. My new static is in week two of playing together. We're on P3S now. Last night it took us some time to reclear P1S, but P2S we did in three to four wipes total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
No, F4 is 540 potency and paradox is 500. Normalized to a 2.5s gcd F4 is still 482 potency and obviously the full 540 in a gcd if you speed it up with instants. If you cast a TC too early you’re delaying how quickly you return to your big hitters and lowering your average potency. Your instincts are right, hazardousmouse. With the changes to sharpcast and thunder duration you can easily keep a proc held for whenever the dot is about to expire but it’s useful as a movement tool outside of refreshing.

In aoe situations however, smash the tc proc as soon as it comes up.

Tiramisu fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 19, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of my problem is that I'm really bad at tracking dot durations. I could make the enemy debuff display huge and put it in the center of my screen but then it would make my UI ugly and I can't have that :colbert: I have less of an issue with Reaper's debuff specifically because it can stack up to 60 seconds, so if I reapply it early because it's convenient that's fine.

One of the only jobs where I don't really have any issues with dot uptime is Gunbreaker, and that's just because the skills have cooldowns longer than their dot durations, so the dots will fall off before I can refresh them and I can just smash those Sonic Break/Bow Shock buttons as part of my No Mercy window.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah in general in single target it’s more important to keep the Fire ball rolling than the Thunder ball. Just refresh every Ice phase.

In AoE it doesn’t matter though because all your Fire spells refresh AF anyway, so mashing Thunder IV immediately is a good idea.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Admittedly I don’t play healer on harder content, but I haven’t had more issues with WHM’s MP than I did before EW. I don’t tend to run out unless everything is going wrong to the point I need to be casting Cure II and Medica and raising when I’m out of Thin Air. Lilies are part of MP management because they don’t cost MP and if you have a Lily there’s basically no reason to use Cure II or Medica over a Lily cast.
As one playing WHM on harder content, it's not uncommon for MP to be hovering around like 7000 for the bulk of a fight with Lucid Dreaming and Assize on cooldown, and Thin Air rolling so it's always recharging, but that's more on Presence of Mind-fueled Glares doing a number on the meter than healing costs. It does hurt to die, though, since there's both no instant MP restore when the aforementioned two are still on cooldown and you lose all your stored lilies so you don't even get the consolation of a few MP-less heals.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, it's unintuitive but the Thunder DOT is so weak that even dealing the entire damage of it upfront is still weaker than your basic filler BLM spells. You definitely don't want to clip the DOTs too much. Technically this means that your first Thunder in the fight is a dps loss and you spend the rest of the fight making up for it with the procs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats! P2S, in my opinion, is easier than P1S. But that might also be because we've had more practice on P2S since it took us longer to clear. My new static is in week two of playing together. We're on P3S now. Last night it took us some time to reclear P1S, but P2S we did in three to four wipes total.

P2S is more predictable but it also has more going on that you need to remember. P1S has ultimately simpler mechanics but you have to constantly watch for tells so you know where to position yourself. And Twelve help you if somebody misreads their chains debuff.

And P3S just says gently caress all y'all if anybody blinks at the wrong time or gets lost in orange on orange.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Mr. Nice! posted:

e: someone can probably correct me, but on a casual glance it seems like regardless of rotation thundercloud procs are your most damaging spells period. fire 4 with astral fire buff might technically do more upfront damage, but the potency amount is lower than procced t3. Foul and Xenoglossy are the only buttons that have more potency on the label than a procced t3's up front damage not even counting the dot.

Dot math gets messier when you're refreshing early, though. Take a 300s single target fight - if you managed 100% uptime by only hitting thunder 10 times, you got the full value of each dot; if you managed 100% uptime by hitting 20 thunders, you only got *half* the value of the dot from each, because the duration per cast only averaged 15s instead of 30s. If you're slamming thundercloud ASAP well before the dot expires, you're lowering the relative damage of every thunder (proc'd or not) in the fight.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr. Nice! posted:

:psyduck:

Channeling Overflow -> Coherence is more complicated than any mechanic in P1S.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

P4S door boss enrage seen :toot:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Finally downed P1S :yotj: it took me around a week on PF but I managed to find the one group where we did good enough DPS (most other groups enraged at 5-10%, this one downed it even with a half-wipe-into-healer-lb3 during pizza chains). First time I clear Savage content when relevant!

Now to P2S which is gonna be worse, of course...
I decided to clear P1S yesterday. Almost every pug eventually got their head around chains and intemperance, but four-fold shackles was a hard loving wall. Three groups got to it and not one of them ever managed to successfully execute the first step. I decided to give one more group a go and it was like night and day. We got the boss to 24% on the first pull, then needed a few more for me and the other tank to stop finding new ways to gently caress up and the occasional brainfart, and bam 8 people got their first clear cheevo at 2 in the morning. I don't think we were even close to the enrage. admittedly, I was sleepy and insisted on the braindead strat for intemp (no swapping, tanks just eat it).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

Part of my problem is that I'm really bad at tracking dot durations. I could make the enemy debuff display huge and put it in the center of my screen but then it would make my UI ugly and I can't have that :colbert: I have less of an issue with Reaper's debuff specifically because it can stack up to 60 seconds, so if I reapply it early because it's convenient that's fine.

One of the only jobs where I don't really have any issues with dot uptime is Gunbreaker, and that's just because the skills have cooldowns longer than their dot durations, so the dots will fall off before I can refresh them and I can just smash those Sonic Break/Bow Shock buttons as part of my No Mercy window.

The thunder dot isn’t too hard to track because it lasts almost as long as a fire phase so you can just reapply it whenever you go into ice

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

The thunder dot isn’t too hard to track because it lasts almost as long as a fire phase so you can just reapply it whenever you go into ice

Yeah BLM flows really really well that way. There is room to optimize but you can generally keep the flow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kyrosiris posted:

:psyduck:

Channeling Overflow -> Coherence is more complicated than any mechanic in P1S.

It's not too bad for us. Everyone stacks together with the tank with the long debuff up front. As soon as coherence starts casting, the tank has the tether, goes to the safe spot, and hits LB1 about halfway through the cast. Short debuff people go resolve their arrows. Arrows resolve, and everyone stacks. Coherence resolves, and then people resolve their long debuff arrows. It is very simple - the biggest issue is DPS moving before the coherence cast begins (thus tossing the tether out wherever) or not enough mitigation for the big damage. Otherwise there's plenty of time to resolve everything. Everyone except the tank with the long debuff has to just stay still for a couple seconds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tiramisu posted:

No, F4 is 540 potency and paradox is 500. Normalized to a 2.5s gcd F4 is still 482 potency and obviously the full 540 in a gcd if you speed it up with instants. If you cast a TC too early you’re delaying how quickly you return to your big hitters and lowering your average potency. Your instincts are right, hazardousmouse. With the changes to sharpcast and thunder duration you can easily keep a proc held for whenever the dot is about to expire but it’s useful as a movement tool outside of refreshing.

In aoe situations however, smash the tc proc as soon as it comes up.

Thank you!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never unlocked the second or third areas of Zadnor before EW released but now it's clear that the third area is The Place To Be for leveling after 71. What's the best way to get enough mettle to unlock the third area these days, with most people doing anything Bozja/Zadnor-related just farming fates? Should I just be doing whatever fates I can in the first Zadnor area and hope there are at least a couple players to do them with?

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah, that's probably going to be good enough for as difficult of content as I'll ever play BLM in. I'll try to just reapply whenever I switch to ice. Thanks for the tip!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The funny part with P1S is that chains and intemp are such a prog stopper that even groups that do them perfectly still gently caress up in second pizza from the obvious result of not getting enough practice at it :v:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

I never unlocked the second or third areas of Zadnor before EW released but now it's clear that the third area is The Place To Be for leveling after 71. What's the best way to get enough mettle to unlock the third area these days, with most people doing anything Bozja/Zadnor-related just farming fates? Should I just be doing whatever fates I can in the first Zadnor area and hope there are at least a couple players to do them with?

Yeah, that's probably going to be good enough for as difficult of content as I'll ever play BLM in. I'll try to just reapply whenever I switch to ice. Thanks for the tip!

You have the right of it. I mean, shout out and see if anyone wants to grind Z1 otherwise hop from Fate to Fate as fast as you can and join every possible CE. The real Zadnor (SAVAGE) will be getting people to jump into Dalriada with you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Madmarker posted:

You have the right of it. I mean, shout out and see if anyone wants to grind Z1 otherwise hop from Fate to Fate as fast as you can and join every possible CE. The real Zadnor (SAVAGE) will be getting people to jump into Dalriada with you.

You only need to do Dalriada at the end for the story, right? Or relic stuff. Or do you have to do it to get to Z3?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's for story stuff mostly, you don't need it for Z3, but you will need it if you want to get access to the damage, healing and health buffs for Bozja you can turn in for mettle since those don't unlock until after the story. (Unless I'm misremembering and they unlock as soon as you hit 25, but I'm pretty sure they don't.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Damage, healing, and health buffs seem like they would be very useful for fate grinding but I suppose I'll worry about that when I get to 25, given that I'm only rank 15 right now that's a little ways away.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Yes, you can't turn in mettle for the buffs until you clear Dal, plus once you get to rank 25 your mettle caps and you can't earn any more. So it's best to try and do it soon after hitting 25 so you can spend it and continue to earn more.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm just before Dalriada but I don't plan to do it until I finish the 180 mat relic step and hahahaha no i'm not doing Halicarnassus 27 times thanks (because Z1 can be a bit alive but Z2 was completely dead everytime I went)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you!

Yeah, thanks for all the blm pointers. I'm just really glad that I don't have to shift my blm mindset that much. Though I still need to set the standard rotation better so I stop fumbling it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Is there a certain order I should go through Bard songs in?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

I'm just before Dalriada but I don't plan to do it until I finish the 180 mat relic step and hahahaha no i'm not doing Halicarnassus 27 times thanks (because Z1 can be a bit alive but Z2 was completely dead everytime I went)
The 180 relic step is brutal. The bleak/lurid memories are best gathered in z3. I got maybe half of the others from z1/z2 FATEs & CEs and half from just grinding out alex/omega. I optimized for sanity, not fast clears, so I queue up for 1/2/5/6 or 3/4/7/8 alex or omega and grinded out a few here and there. Since I was doing a lot of alex & omega I needed on all of the part chaff and turned them in for GCs.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah, thanks for all the blm pointers. I'm just really glad that I don't have to shift my blm mindset that much. Though I still need to set the standard rotation better so I stop fumbling it.

The regular rotation is very hit the same button over and over. I like to think of Ice as the start of the rotation, so it’s B3->T3->B4->Xeno->Paradox with Xeno and Paradox moved around as necessary for movement and maintaining Umbral Ice. Then F3->F4->F4->F4->Paradox->F4->F4->F4->a Firestarter Proc’d F3 if you have it->Despair->Xeno if you have two Polyglots. Then it’s back to Ice. On cooldown you can also throw up Manafont after Despair to get another F4 and Despair.

Otherwise, weave in movement skills when needed. Sharpcast can be used on Thunders for optimal play or to ensure you get your Despair off by refreshing the counter with a free F3 at the end for safety. Plop ley lines where you feel it’s safe on cooldown but don’t get too attached to them. You’ll get more dps standing out of them than if you die trying to greed and get smacked by AoEs.

In summary, the basic rotation without weaved oGCDs is B3->T3->B4->Xeno->Paradox->F3->F4->F4->F4->Paradox->F4->F4->F4->F3 if proc->Despair.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bleck posted:

Is there a certain order I should go through Bard songs in?

Wanderer's is the strongest, so you open with that, then Mage's after 43 seconds, and Paeon after 34 seconds of Mage's. This cycles through them in a two-minute manner for Finale, and emphasizes them based on their relative strength to you while also keeping the party buffs aligned with the rest of your team.

E: The reason for 43 seconds instead of 45 is that the last couple seconds of a song is effectively dead time since the repertoire effect ticks every 3 seconds. The buff expires at the same time Repertoire would try to tick, so it doesn't fire even if you roll the 80%.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Oh I don't have to rely on F1 to keep in fire phase anymore? Neat!

I'm still trying to modify my hotbars to make the most sense, it's an ongoing effort.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Wanderer's is the strongest, so you open with that, then Mage's after 43 seconds, and Paeon after 34 seconds of Mage's. This cycles through them in a two-minute manner for Finale, and emphasizes them based on their relative strength to you while also keeping the party buffs aligned with the rest of your team.

E: The reason for 43 seconds instead of 45 is that the last couple seconds of a song is effectively dead time since the repertoire effect ticks every 3 seconds. The buff expires at the same time Repertoire would try to tick, so it doesn't fire even if you roll the 80%.

Is it bad if I keep doing the old way of long Mage and shortened Paeon? Paeon is boring and Mage is fun so I'd rather stay in it longer. I'm not doing high end stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

Oh I don't have to rely on F1 to keep in fire phase anymore? Neat!

I'm still trying to modify my hotbars to make the most sense, it's an ongoing effort.

F1 transforms into Paradox when you get the marker, so it's essentially the same thing. Getting UI3 and three hearts (so B3 and B4) primes it, F3 jumps you into fire and activates it, and it replaces F1 in the normal fire cycle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Is it bad if I keep doing the old way of long Mage and shortened Paeon? Paeon is boring and Mage is fun so I'd rather stay in it longer. I'm not doing high end stuff.

Technically it's less DPS because 4-stack Paeon is really good (since it reduces your GCD too), but Mage's is only slightly worse, so yeah, unless you're doing like day one savages I don't see why not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

The DPS difference between longer Mage's and longer Army's is incredibly minor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Technically it's less DPS because 4-stack Paeon is really good (since it reduces your GCD too), but Mage's is only slightly worse, so yeah, unless you're doing like day one savages I don't see why not.

Arist posted:

The DPS difference between longer Mage's and longer Army's is incredibly minor.

Very good thank you. This was the first I'd realized it had changed so I was briefly alarmed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think the raw mechanics get that much harder from 1->2->3 but the punishment for failure ramps up really fast, and it becomes increasingly difficult to recover from mistakes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

watched a p4s p2 guide and what the gently caress is this lmao

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think the raw mechanics get that much harder from 1->2->3 but the punishment for failure ramps up really fast, and it becomes increasingly difficult to recover from mistakes.

Yeah, I guess "complicated" is the wrong word - maybe "higher execution demand". Nothing in P1S feels like it demands anywhere near the same precision and lack of mistakes as either Channeling Overflow, f.ex.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

watched a p4s p2 guide and what the gently caress is this lmao
Do you like tethers? How much do you like tethers? Would you like everything to be tethers, perhaps?

cat beard
Dec 19, 2011
After having played dps for multiple savage tiers I'd always thought tanks were hard to come by (I certainly remember waiting on them for ages when my old static was missing one) but now that I play tank with my buddy co-tanking it seems like I'm swimming in tanks. Fun experience regardless, I definitely feel like I'm paying more attention to fight mechanics than I did as dps because I'd only really think about ones directly affecting me/ones I needed to mitigate.

How is P3S to prog in PF if anyone's done it through PF? I remember E11S being mostly fine but I hear all kinds of stuff about how much of a wall P3S is for PF groups (then again I've heard the same about P2S and have had zero issues so far with PF reclears/the clear group we were in was pretty solid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I don't understand why they made veraero III the best spell animation in the game and verthunder III the stupidest