Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I don't understand why they made veraero III the best spell animation in the game and verthunder III the stupidest

I don’t understand why half of RDM’s sound effects sound like getting slapped with a wet fish instead of like. Wind and Thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Why aren't Holy / Holyga fast casts? This is so dumb.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hogama posted:

Do you like tethers? How much do you like tethers? Would you like everything to be tethers, perhaps?

This is the tethers tier and as a tank I'm not very happy about it!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

watched a p4s p2 guide and what the gently caress is this lmao

Memory mechanics

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congrats! P2S, in my opinion, is easier than P1S. But that might also be because we've had more practice on P2S since it took us longer to clear. My new static is in week two of playing together. We're on P3S now. Last night it took us some time to reclear P1S, but P2S we did in three to four wipes total.

We did the same yesterday. Spent almost exactly an hour trying to reclear P1S, then did P2S on the second pull.

Kyrosiris posted:

:psyduck:

Channeling Overflow -> Coherence is more complicated than any mechanic in P1S.

We just Tank LB3 that. The damage check isn't very tight if no one dies. We killed it at 9:46, and the enrage is at 10:30, so you really don't need the LB for damage in this fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I guess "complicated" is the wrong word - maybe "higher execution demand". Nothing in P1S feels like it demands anywhere near the same precision and lack of mistakes as either Channeling Overflow, f.ex.

The only thing in P1S that requires everybody to be on point or you wipe is the 4x chains but even that can be yolo'd with a little luck (one person loving up Intemperance sucks bad for everyone but it's potentially recoverable with heroic effort from the healers).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

derra posted:

Also mad about this.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tamba posted:

We did the same yesterday. Spent almost exactly an hour trying to reclear P1S, then did P2S on the second pull.

We just Tank LB3 that. The damage check isn't very tight if no one dies. We killed it at 9:46, and the enrage is at 10:30, so you really don't need the LB for damage in this fight.

I'm honestly thinking of just suggesting that. The "no one dies" thing is the bugbear there though. :sigh: I've threatened to stop making tinctures for people who get dropsy because it's pissing me off so much.

(to add to the anecdotes we one-shot P1S this week and then spent a full lockout trying to get a P2S clear again with no success)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

To be honest Channeling 3 isn't super hard to do even without using tank LB3.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you DPS LB3 instantly upon getting it them you'll have tank LB1 for that coherence, which is definitely nice if you're in week one gear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We're stuck on channeling 3 right now, but my group is blind progging and we get like 5-6 hours a week.

We think we have a solution for it, but between people being unsure of actually executing channeling 2's strategy, or us just doing something weird, it's rough going.

Hoping to figure it out by today though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

cat beard posted:

How is P3S to prog in PF if anyone's done it through PF? I remember E11S being mostly fine but I hear all kinds of stuff about how much of a wall P3S is for PF groups (then again I've heard the same about P2S and have had zero issues so far with PF reclears/the clear group we were in was pretty solid).
I've only gone in with organized groups but people I know have not had a good time so far doing 3 through PF. One friend spent the last three days of the first week trying to clear and 90%+ of the "Clear" groups would just wipe to adds repeatedly. He didn't clear until the second day of week 2. One other friend cleared at the end of week 2 after about 6 hours of grinding away with the same group.

The DPS requirement does start to get real in 3; 2 needs ~42k, which the PF groups I've been in have scraped by to reach, and 3 needs ~45k. It should be easier in a few weeks when everyone can get their 590 weapon though.

hazardousmouse posted:

ok, so I know amon's chapeau is the one true bard hat but have you SEEN the forgiven hat of aiming? Motherfucker's glorious
Amon's Hat for Bard, Forgiven hat for Dancer is what I do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm honestly thinking of just suggesting that. The "no one dies" thing is the bugbear there though. :sigh: I've threatened to stop making tinctures for people who get dropsy because it's pissing me off so much.

(to add to the anecdotes we one-shot P1S this week and then spent a full lockout trying to get a P2S clear again with no success)

If people are getting dropsy debuffs then they need to start getting serious. There's all kinds of room to move around, it isn't like Tall Frog's tight rope walk. I'll still defend the one time I did get dropsy in that fight though, since I had to En Avant across the center to make it to a number spot in time for the Limit Cut mechanic. The only moral dropsy.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The only times you might conceivably need sprint in that fight are those two times, so I would encourage your friends to use it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

watched a p4s p2 guide and what the gently caress is this lmao

welcum 2 my production of 'gently caress u die already'

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Zack Ater posted:

Dot math gets messier when you're refreshing early, though. Take a 300s single target fight - if you managed 100% uptime by only hitting thunder 10 times, you got the full value of each dot; if you managed 100% uptime by hitting 20 thunders, you only got *half* the value of the dot from each, because the duration per cast only averaged 15s instead of 30s. If you're slamming thundercloud ASAP well before the dot expires, you're lowering the relative damage of every thunder (proc'd or not) in the fight.

This is the wrong way to think about it. Clipping doesn't make the dot do less damage, it's gonna tick every 3 seconds either way. The loss is from offsetting the rest of the rotation with a weaker GCD.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

hopeandjoy posted:

I don’t understand why half of RDM’s sound effects sound like getting slapped with a wet fish instead of like. Wind and Thunder.

Yeah but RDM has always sounded like trash, the slashy sounds for Enchanted Riposte don't even match the animation.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Leraika posted:

I'm a little down on macrocosmos because I feel like I have to let it run its course to be useful but that means that I'm healing while it runs and it feels kind of wasted when it pops, usually. I much prefer the way haima/panhamia works but like sage less overall. This is a me thing, not a mechanic thing..

reading some pages ago and just wanted to offer some advice

My favorite time to use macro is when you expect two heavy hitting raidwides in a row. Hit macro before the first one, use a different ogcd to heal back from the first raidwide, then after the 2nd raidwide, use micro.

One example for this is during intemperance 1 in P1S:
Place star before first color pops
Right before 1st wrath, cast macro
Before 2nd wrath, pop star
After 2nd wrath, micro will heal all to full

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

To be honest Channeling 3 isn't super hard to do even without using tank LB3.

My PUG clear group did it without LB3 but it definitely killed a lot of our pulls. We even had deaths to it on the pull where we cleared, but it was a tank and healer on the second arrows so it didn't wipe us. I don't think it's that hard, it just requires a lot of movement and precision positioning that isn't required for previous iterations of that mechanic.

The big thing with P2S that made it feel easy to me was that all the mechanics resolve really slowly. Because the arena is what it is they had to allow time for people to move all the way around to get into position, so it feels like you get a lot more leeway. During our penultimate Kampeos I got into position, got up to turn off an oven timer, and got back before the boss became targetable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Going from poo dog to hydrabird is definitely a change in speed. Poo dog is slow af.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the actual jump rope in p3s doesn't feel much worse than p2s but it all comes out so fast. I've never seen my static die to not spreading so many times

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the actual jump rope in p3s doesn't feel much worse than p2s but it all comes out so fast. I've never seen my static die to not spreading so many times

Reminds me of E6S, which was a nightmare to clear in PUGs and just as bad for reclears. Mechanics weren't particularly hard if you slowed them down, but they came so fast you'd see people just blow up to regular spreads.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

derra posted:

The price you pay for them stunning is making them feel like poo poo to cast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Give me the strong, 3.5s holy cast imo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Give me the strong, 3.5s holy cast imo.

Absolutely yes. I miss Holy being an insane, cumbersome haymaker, even if its potency-per-second is equivalent to all the other healers' AoE.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
3.5s cast time just means you can swiftcast it for a dps gain

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Are we still sharing character art commissions? Because I just got one back that I've been waiting for and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. :allears:

(Artist is https://twitter.com/PG__Animation/)

Idea was spawned from the following quip on discord:

quote:

large encyclopedia-sized book labelled "Final Fantasy XIV's MSQ"
magazine-sized book labelled "Final Fantasy XIV's MSQ if the WoL Let Feo Ul Handle poo poo"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Are we still sharing character art commissions? Because I just got one back that I've been waiting for and it's everything I'd hoped it would be. :allears:

TL;DR the MSQ would be a lot more brisk if Feo Ul With A Gun was a regular party member.

Cool art!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

cat beard posted:

After having played dps for multiple savage tiers I'd always thought tanks were hard to come by (I certainly remember waiting on them for ages when my old static was missing one) but now that I play tank with my buddy co-tanking it seems like I'm swimming in tanks. Fun experience regardless, I definitely feel like I'm paying more attention to fight mechanics than I did as dps because I'd only really think about ones directly affecting me/ones I needed to mitigate.

How is P3S to prog in PF if anyone's done it through PF? I remember E11S being mostly fine but I hear all kinds of stuff about how much of a wall P3S is for PF groups (then again I've heard the same about P2S and have had zero issues so far with PF reclears/the clear group we were in was pretty solid).

i've done one lockout of P3S in party finder and it wasn't bad at all. Made it past the add phase a few times and got to practice some mechanics my static hasn't reached yet.

I don't go into savage PF groups expecting more than practice though, the overall dps is invariably too poo poo to make it past enrage even if mechanics are on point

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For my static, the biggest pain points were spreading for gloryplume (just because the timer is so tight and you start stacked) and getting the finicky positioning down for fountain of fire

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've done one lockout of P3S in party finder and it wasn't bad at all. Made it past the add phase a few times and got to practice some mechanics my static hasn't reached yet.

I don't go into savage PF groups expecting more than practice though, the overall dps is invariably too poo poo to make it past enrage even if mechanics are on point

PUG DPS is very week-dependent. PUGs are a lot less likely to pentameld or even have crafted gear in the first week or two, so getting those first few drops and gated tomestone pieces makes a much bigger difference than it does to statics.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Feo Ul with a gun is inspired.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh no, I got spoiled by the 71-81 trust experience gains. Is this really right? It's going to take like 12 runs per dungeon before they can move on to the next? Plus I got more exp than they did. It's hilarious in a bad way.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah it sucked rear end in shb before they buffed the exp gain too

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

hazardousmouse posted:

oh no, I got spoiled by the 71-81 trust experience gains. Is this really right? It's going to take like 12 runs per dungeon before they can move on to the next? Plus I got more exp than they did. It's hilarious in a bad way.
It's five or six runs per dungeon, per group of 3 NPCs you're taking in. And, there's 7 NPCs now so you have to do a third run through. It's pretty annoying! But dammit I'm getting those achievement points and that title, and it's giving me a reason to level more jobs I guess. I currently have Reaper, Red Mage, and Dancer in the 80s with one NPC left to level.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
It was pretty easy and chill to get 4 runs in a day for the shb chunk but I'm going to have to relax a little on rushing it if it's going to be 15-18 per dungeon tier. Did y'all split it by dungeon level and bring the entire group up at once? Or select a party and take them through the entire stretch then repeat that?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im gonna wait 2 years until they buff the exp gain again

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I got Thancred Alphinaud and Estinien to cap then took a break.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If you're leveling a tank you can cycle any 3 of (estinien/urianger/yshtola/graha) so you spread the xp fairly evenly among them, then you don't have 6 level 90s and one 80 playing catchup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm trusting like a mf myself for the role quests first then ultimately an Amaro pal.