Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i like it when the superhero punches the supervillain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thatbastardken posted:

oh, so now you wanna kill batman?
Bruce Wayne leaches billions from the workers of Gotham and uses it to turn the unemployed and mentally ill into his own personal punching bags in lieu of therapy. Into the sun with him.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Andrast posted:

i like it when the superhero punches the supervillain

indeed, sometimes, when you wanna make geopolitical statements, it's better not to choose the undie pants man genre

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

Bruce Wayne leaches billions from the workers of Gotham and uses it to turn the unemployed and mentally ill into his own personal punching bags in lieu of therapy. Into the sun with him.

what does bruce wayne have to do with batman..?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pog boyfriend posted:

what does bruce wayne have to do with batman..?
I assumed batman was going to try and stop me hurling Bruce Wayne into the sun.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

I generally favor intimacy moves over sex moves in PbTA just because of narrative flexibility rather than prudishness, but Flying Circus is very much the exception that proves the rule in that it actually is appropriate that it's played as a trip to pound town.

Since no one actually expanded on this... how so? I stopped paying attention to Flying Circus a while into development for various reasons, but this particular topic never came up as far as I recall, discussion was primarily focused on the air combat and on a specific playbook. Not going to pick up a copy so I evidently missed the implementation of "intimacy moves" (as GimpInBlack clarified) that was actually good for once, let alone appropriate played as sex moves.

FWIW about to be playing Apocalypse World and we had to strip out "sex moves" for "intimacy moves" for the game to even see the table, so interested in games that do it right from the start.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Superhero-in-real-world stories only hold up at their origins. Batman came to be because crime was out of control, Gotham's police were hopelessly corrupt, and a billionaire had a moment of empathy for the downtrodden. Once Gordon became commissioner and purged the department, Batman should have been able to retire, or else get captured and given therapy.

I kinda like the GODLIKE approach, where heroes are extremely powerful on a human level but the war is still way bigger than them. Supers change things here and there, but they also spend most of their time fighting other supers, so WWII goes on more-or-less as history recorded it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Since no one actually expanded on this... how so? I stopped paying attention to Flying Circus a while into development for various reasons, but this particular topic never came up as far as I recall, discussion was primarily focused on the air combat and on a specific playbook. Not going to pick up a copy so I evidently missed the implementation of "intimacy moves" (as GimpInBlack clarified) that was actually good for once, let alone appropriate played as sex moves.

FWIW about to be playing Apocalypse World and we had to strip out "sex moves" for "intimacy moves" for the game to even see the table, so interested in games that do it right from the start.

Flying Circus explicitly has intimacy moves. Sex comes up in the game mechanically as one of the ways to express intimacy and/or as one of the ways PCs can blow off stress in between missions.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Haystack posted:

Flying Circus explicitly has intimacy moves. Sex comes up in the game mechanically as one of the ways to express intimacy and/or as one of the ways PCs can blow off stress in between missions.

Nothing especially new/unique, then. All right.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
As an aside, part of why I really enjoy superhero settings in RPGs is that they can get around some of the enforced stasis they traditionally have. You can't go all the way with it, since it still needs to be recognizably similar to the real world, but you can have Dr Fantastic donate a bunch of healing lasers to local hospitals or have the power grid run on superscience and have that actually mean something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mirage posted:

Superhero-in-real-world stories only hold up at their origins. Batman came to be because crime was out of control, Gotham's police were hopelessly corrupt, and a billionaire had a moment of empathy for the downtrodden. Once Gordon became commissioner and purged the department, Batman should have been able to retire, or else get captured and given therapy.
I think my favourite Elseworld Batman is the one where he plows his family fortune into restoring Arkham Asylum, and captures the criminally insane so that he can make them go to therapy

Edit: DC actually did this twice!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 19, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As an aside, part of why I really enjoy superhero settings in RPGs is that they can get around some of the enforced stasis they traditionally have. You can't go all the way with it, since it still needs to be recognizably similar to the real world, but you can have Dr Fantastic donate a bunch of healing lasers to local hospitals or have the power grid run on superscience and have that actually mean something.
In a college superhero RPG when the Xanatos/Lex Luthor/Most Captain Planet Villains who'd explicitly tried to murder me with special anti-me guns began his rooftop "You are becoming... a problem. This is my town." speech I immediately novad him to death on the grounds that he was a rich dangerous dickhole that kept killing people and getting away with it.

The GM was absolutely astonished.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

I think my favourite Elseworld Batman is the one where he plows his family fortune into restoring Arkham Asylum, and captures the criminally insane so that he can make them go to therapy

Edit: DC actually did this twice!

The Batman of Arkham is the number one under-appreciated Elseworld story and there should have been a sequel where Bruce Wayne hung out with his best buddy Croc more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The whole Civil War arc in Marvel was about confronting the inherent conflict between vigilante "freedom" justice warriors and fascist "control" government, but also shouldn't civilian voters and their freely-elected officials have the right to regulate superheroism, and also tony stark's megalomania really does need to be controlled, and aren't quite a lot of superpowered people seriously dangerous and often kinda deranged, etc. etc.

When it actually ran originally in the comics it felt good to me to have the folks at Marvel recognizing through story that the old era of Mighty Men doing Great Things was dead and now our stories needed to actually acknowledge that there's Problems with that setting trope. I don't know that Marvel adequately addressed it or that the conclusions were all good, but it was still a step forward.

e. The Watchmen, despite all its problems, was also somewhat on theme here. At least as far as pointing out that at some point, supers are corrupted by their power, or are so separated from humanity that they're not really human any more, and pretty much the nonsuper public is victimized regardless of the motivations of the uncontrolled, uncontrollable teams of "heroes."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

The whole Civil War arc in Marvel was about confronting the inherent conflict between vigilante "freedom" justice warriors and fascist "control" government, but also shouldn't civilian voters and their freely-elected officials have the right to regulate superheroism, and also tony stark's megalomania really does need to be controlled, and aren't quite a lot of superpowered people seriously dangerous and often kinda deranged, etc. etc.

When it actually ran originally in the comics it felt good to me to have the folks at Marvel recognizing through story that the old era of Mighty Men doing Great Things was dead and now our stories needed to actually acknowledge that there's Problems with that setting trope. I don't know that Marvel adequately addressed it or that the conclusions were all good, but it was still a step forward.

e. The Watchmen, despite all its problems, was also somewhat on theme here. At least as far as pointing out that at some point, supers are corrupted by their power, or are so separated from humanity that they're not really human any more, and pretty much the nonsuper public is victimized regardless of the motivations of the uncontrolled, uncontrollable teams of "heroes."

Marvel is apparently doing a street-level sequel to the same ideas now, with Kingpin being Mayor of NYC and going after Spider-Man, Daredevil, etc. They arrested Captain America for acting as a vigilante but didn't kill him, so there's a bit less ham-handedness.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

hyphz posted:

They try, but it has to be done very carefully to avoid replacing the status quo with one that is dependent on supers.

Like, if a super can end world hunger, that sounds good at the first step but then you have to ask how Powerman can not be a dictator when a continent starves if he just flies away, or how anyone can argue that genetic differences are insignificent when it's his unique mutations that put him in that position. Doubly so if it's an Incredibles type setting where being a super is hereditory.

WELL ACTUALLY Power Man can't fly and his powers were forced on him when he was imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit.

You gotta go way stupider than you expect if you want to make a hypothetical superhero nobody's named already. It's one of the most difficult parts of playing a supers game.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

shouldn't civilian voters and their freely-elected officials have the right to regulate superheroism
That's how we got the Sentinels.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
maybe don't build genocide robots even if the kids these days are evolving

i blame that virus everyone except the mutants has

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's like Kid Omega's shirt says: Magneto was Right.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

PeterWeller posted:

It's like Kid Omega's shirt says: Magneto was Right.

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for mutant children."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

grassy gnoll posted:

WELL ACTUALLY Power Man can't fly and his powers were forced on him when he was imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit.

You gotta go way stupider than you expect if you want to make a hypothetical superhero nobody's named already. It's one of the most difficult parts of playing a supers game.

That's why for most of my Superhero setting concepts I just reuse various Golden Age Superheroes who have fallen into the Public Domain, saves a lot of time coming up with concepts and designs, like in a setting set in the Early 70's that's meant to invoke the late Silver Age to early Bronze Age transition period, if I had a player ask who was the first major superhero of the setting, I'd tell them it was The Fighting Yank and the Black Terror, who both debuted at about the same time back in the mid 50's(and who roughly fill a similar role that Superman and Batman do in DC), or if they ask for any times where real world history got altered due to the presence of Superheroes, I would point to how JFK wasn't assassinated in this universe due to the interference of Stardust The Super Wizard as part of his arrival onto Earth, with Stardust then using his phenomenal cosmic powers to then do absolutely horrifying things to first Lee Harvey Oswald and then to everyone else who had been knowingly involved with the would-be assassination plot

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

drrockso20 posted:

That's why for most of my Superhero setting concepts I just reuse various Golden Age Superheroes who have fallen into the Public Domain, saves a lot of time coming up with concepts and designs, like in a setting set in the Early 70's that's meant to invoke the late Silver Age to early Bronze Age transition period, if I had a player ask who was the first major superhero of the setting, I'd tell them it was The Fighting Yank and the Black Terror, who both debuted at about the same time back in the mid 50's(and who roughly fill a similar role that Superman and Batman do in DC), or if they ask for any times where real world history got altered due to the presence of Superheroes, I would point to how JFK wasn't assassinated in this universe due to the interference of Stardust The Super Wizard as part of his arrival onto Earth, with Stardust then using his phenomenal cosmic powers to then do absolutely horrifying things to first Lee Harvey Oswald and then to everyone else who had been knowingly involved with the would-be assassination plot

Stardust uses a special ray to transfer LHO to a world full of grassy knolls where he is endlessly assassinating himself

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mellonbread posted:

That's how we got the Sentinels.
No, no, our sentinels are OK. We built the sentinels for the sake of egalitarian ideals to prevent the rise of dictators and tyrants. I know they're also trying to kill the X-Men but it's different.

e: Also, the guy I stan on Twitter who's trying to fist-fight Superman in a robot suit is completely different from the guy you stan on Twitter who's trying to fist fight Superman in a giant robot suit. They're teaming up because it's a popular front. I know Superman was claiming to be building a seawall for Metropolis at the time but what will we do if we need infrastructure if Superman isn't around? Anyway,

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Stardust uses a special ray to transfer LHO to a world full of grassy gnolls where he is endlessly assassinating himself

fixed that for you

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Arivia posted:

fixed that for you

Now I really want art of hyena people in ghillie suits.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PurpleXVI posted:

I find it hard to decide which is the more realistic perception. On the one hand, going by politics as-declared, right-wing movements should be pretty big fans of vigilante lawmen(often in some way rich or privileged), going around beating up poor people committing financial/property crime to try and survive. On the other hand, plenty of right-wing governments would be real worried about the existence of a left-leaning superhero that couldn't just be put down with water cannons, pepper spray and casual police violence.

As heroes exist in most comics I've encountered, dealing entirely with symptoms and only rarely paying attention to systemic issues that drive people to crime, like poverty, lack of education, poor social safety nets, etc. and often cooperating to a lesser or greater extent with the police, it would feel like they'd generally be darlings of the right as opposed to friends of the left.

Baked in there it also feels like most superhero stories are to some extent based around the idea that only these special empowered people can deal with the crises presented at all: Police, military, citizen militias or whatever group of normal people with training, experience and teamwork will never be able to do what one exceptional person with zero backup can do. Something in that also just feels inherently right-wing, both the idea that you don't need a team or a society to back you up to resolve big issues and also the idea of fundamental exceptionality.

I recenty had to think about this issue when a bout of nostalgia for Ultimate Marvel hit me. Re-reading the comics, you can clearly see that Mark Millar viewed superheroes as part of the military-industrial complex. He clearly had issues with that concept but also did things that were intentional or unintentionally facist. For example, while congress is presented as incompetent (as are the heroes), the actual military is shown in a positive light.

I decided to take a stab at it in a Masks playtest but I never finished it. It had so many trigger warnings that people kind of convinced me such a depressing playset probably would never see play. The general conceit, in regards to politics, is that superheroes were general disliked individually in the political sphere.

The Right Wing hated superheroes who policed business, government corruption, and fought against social issues. The Left Wing hated superheroes who helped American colonial actions abroad and at home, and disdained their status as unaccountable vigilantes. The former cirtiscims only came from out-of-government as no sitting poltician in America ever critizes America's colonization efforts. The center held little to no strong opinions because centrists generally don't have strong opinions, instead focusing on compromise between the two wings.

This is addressed loosely and barely elaborated on in the playset since the old status quo is thrown out after the Halycon Incident. The Halcyon Incident is when a group of social media influencers who bought their powers accidentally blow up 20 city blocks when they fall for the super equivalent of "swatting." A live stream shows them attack an innocent scientist and accidentally detonate her experiment, setting off a chain reaction with other experiments in this super-science skyscrapper. The Halycon Incident accidentally creates a wave of randomly powered people called Mutants from the fallout.

The incident quickly led to the Mutant Registration Act, which defined all powered individuals as Mutants, defined all Mutants as inhuman under the law, and required all heroes (even unpowered ones) to work for AEGIS (Mask's SHIELD equivalent). Mutant City, a Mutant ghetto, quickly formed from disenfranchised mutants. The Enforers, the Government's super team, set up shop across the nation with their Fifty State Initiative. Corporal Punishment, the self-hating Mutant leader, quickly cleaning up Halycon through use of lethal force and coercion to quell super crime in the city.

The playset was mainly to focus on the Modern Generation of heroes operating out of Mutant City. They would be a group of community focused, grass roots anti-fascist heroes that would be at odds with the government heroes, the centrist heroes trying to bring back the old status quo rather than something better, the elders in their community who bought into the model minority myth, cops, and other forces against progressive change.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Now I really want art of hyena people in ghillie suits.

didn't some goon just make pbta tmnt, there you go

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Stardust chat is making me nostalgic for a Masks character I never got to play, append for a game here that wanted explanation of where your character fit in to a comics continuity. I apped a Protege of a thinly-veiled Stardust-type, with the meta-explanation being "our publisher just got the rights to this gonzo vintage title about a crazy space wizard, and someone wants to put a modern spin on it with a likable/marketable teen protagonist."

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Gatto Grigio posted:

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for mutant children."

this is

a weird swerve when talking about a character who's primary character trait is that they were radicalized by being a holocaust survivor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

this is

a weird swerve when talking about a character who's primary character trait is that they were radicalized by being a holocaust survivor.
Not far off base for Kid Omega of that period, though; and of course, if Magneto had been teaching at that school, the shirt would have said 'Apocalypse did Nothing Wrong'.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Covok posted:

The Halcyon Incident is when a group of social media influencers who bought their powers accidentally blow up 20 city blocks when they fall for the super equivalent of "swatting." A live stream shows them attack an innocent scientist and accidentally detonate her experiment, setting off a chain reaction with other experiments in this super-science skyscrapper. The Halycon Incident accidentally creates a wave of randomly powered people called Mutants from the fallout.

I think part of what matters to a superhero setting is also where powers are from. In like a grab-bag setting like Marvel or DC's it's hard to focus things, but if superpowers are genetic, and more importantly inheritable traits, that makes it one thing. If they're markers of divine favour(or disfavour), that's another thing. If they're mostly super science that can be replicated, bought and sold, that's a third thing(for instance you can be quite sure anyone with superpowers has government/corporate funding, or is already rich, and is thus likely to be a real shithead), and so on. I always felt like having too many different power "sources" was often a bad thing for superhero settings, since it would ruin any kind of thematic focus.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Every superhero on Earth has the same origin: an item of power given them by a dying alien hero to carry on the legacy. Big questions in the setting include "why are all these aliens crash-landing here? It's like fifty now, what gives"

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Earth as space Bermuda triangle

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Every superhero on Earth has the same origin: an item of power given them by a dying alien hero to carry on the legacy. Big questions in the setting include "why are all these aliens crash-landing here? It's like fifty now, what gives"

Warren Ellis wrote a bunch of those real world superhero things where the heroes operate on a grand scale, including a loose thematic trilogy of Black Summer (a superhero goes after the US president for war crimes [from 2007]), No Hero (superheroes spring up during the late 60s and ingrain themselves in world politics) and Supergod (explores the idea of literal superhumans who no longer follow the same constraints, ethics or basic thought patterns as people). Also worth mentioning is The Authority, where the heroes are firmly interventionist and put themselves in a position above any government bodies. And of course there's Watchmen. Generally it feels like the most valuable material to get into superhero politics ideas can be found in series off the DC/Marvel mainstream that aren't beholden to editorial guidelines and the status quo.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm wondering if a confounding factor is that your big comics companies need to return to the status quo at the end of each arc because they're expected to keep creating comics in that world indefinitely.

If you're free to write a self-contained story with an actual end point you can have it actually go places and end up with things being different.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

potatocubed posted:

I'm wondering if a confounding factor is that your big comics companies need to return to the status quo at the end of each arc because they're expected to keep creating comics in that world indefinitely.

If you're free to write a self-contained story with an actual end point you can have it actually go places and end up with things being different.

Ideally yeah, but we never did really get to see the end of Miracleman.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Leperflesh posted:

There's gotta be an angle for this as a metaphor for billionaires in a $10 banana kinda way. Considering what little I know of his politics, Moore may even have meant it in that way. Like, I haven't watched The Boys for various reasons, but I think that bigboy fashy superman is just a complete loving sicko in part because who could ever stop him? In a warped Ring of Gyges kinda way. What we mixed the metaphors if someone had his powers somehow directly and absurdly because of privilege and generational wealth instead of something seemingly unchangeable like genetics? Like, having a wealth over 2 billion rolls over The Great Computer like it's Pac Man and suddenly you get superpowers? I mean, it's already clear this exists in the form of immunity to the laws of man, why not also the laws of physics?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

potatocubed posted:

Oh, absolutely. Heroes who have a definite end to their story arc and aren't expected to keep being rebooted, resurrected, passing on the mantle, etc. for the next 200 years so they can keep getting milked for money would actually have a chance to tangibly change the world they operate in.

Which is also why pretty much any comic worth reading is exactly that kind of story, stuff like Nextwave, etc. as soon as it's one of the big interminably existing heroes, you're going to get one worthwhile storyline out of them in a hundred, at best.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Magnetic North posted:

Like, I haven't watched The Boys for various reasons, but I think that bigboy fashy superman is just a complete loving sicko in part because who could ever stop him? In a warped Ring of Gyges kinda way.

Homelander is also helped by both the Vought Corporation, who help cover up his crimes, and society at large who think of superheroes as a great and necessary force for good. Basically, superheroes in The Boys are celebrity cops. Homelander is terrifyingly powerful, but in that series a huge thing is how a bunch of this poo poo is systemic in nature and there's no single bad force you can just beat up to make it go away.

There's also a part of Homelander's character where he wants to be genuinely loved and admired by ordinary American people, even as he thinks himself above them. He could attempt to take over and force everyone to obey him but then he'd be feared and hated. So Vought can try to control him in control that way.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mirage posted:

I kinda like the GODLIKE approach, where heroes are extremely powerful on a human level but the war is still way bigger than them. Supers change things here and there, but they also spend most of their time fighting other supers, so WWII goes on more-or-less as history recorded it.

Some versions of Batman like the DCAU at least kinda work implying that he was mostly successful in cleaning up Gotham and by then he'd moved onto bigger things with the Justice League and all that. Heck, the later JLU seasons even have a not-Legion of Doom form specifically as a counter to the Justice League, because they've been so successful in dealing with supervillains that they can't operate solo anymore.

The Incredibles also comes up with these kinda arguments a lot. I feel there's something to how Mr Incredible was forced to stop saving lives and stopping maniacs from hurting people and made to work an office job bilking old ladies out of their money instead; kinda presents the idea of superheroes as a social safety net, stepping into help people when authorities are unwilling or unable. Obviously has even more problems than usual when you get into the details, but still.

Also as I said in the other thread, most superhero stuff written by people who actually know the history of the medium have right-wingers be hostile to superheroes, starting with McCarthy, as a reflection of the Red Scare and moral panics specifically targeting comic books and nearly killing the genre (and killing basically all kinds of comics except superheroes, ironically)