Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EndlessUniverse/status/1467796711284383746

Interesting. And how I wish they'd make a system using the Endless setting. Or an Endless RPG game, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Picked up Endless Legend again. Upgrade my computer since the last time I played, so now I can finally play at 60+ FPS with all the bells and whistles at Ultrawide.

I feel like this game’s graphics don’t get enough praise. The story book/tiny model look combined with the gorgeous painted artwork is absolutely stunning and beautiful! My only tiny gripe now is that I’m not a fan of the tech tree layout. I don’t seem to have an easy way to know the advantages/disadvantages of a certain tech to research. The search bar helps though. If I mouse over a resource and see it needs an extractor, the. Type that resource into the search: voila! Very dope.

Any good screenshot LPs of this on these forums? Seems like there’s a lot to dive into with this game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It may look good but the map itself is incomprehensible to me. If there's no icon on an object I can never guess if it's anomaly or temple or maybe resource.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilitarist posted:

It may look good but the map itself is incomprehensible to me. If there's no icon on an object I can never guess if it's anomaly or temple or maybe resource.

My eyes adjusted to that pretty quick, and if I can’t parse what I’m seeing I can zoom out to the “strategic layer” and see what’s what even clearer. Also, clicking on a city will highlight all the mineable resources in your territory as long as you have the extractor tech for that resource. You’ll get a little bubble and can just click on it to queue up the extractor building in the citie’s production queue.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

True, there are ways to work around the issue. I spend most of my time in strategic view in this game. I'm used to modern strategy games giving up on readability and just putting an icon on everything (see Civ or Total War) but EL doesn't even do that, it wants me to look at the map and take notice of different types of glitter.

I haven't played Humankind but I understand it goes the mainstream way by making it all about icons.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ilitarist posted:

True, there are ways to work around the issue. I spend most of my time in strategic view in this game. I'm used to modern strategy games giving up on readability and just putting an icon on everything (see Civ or Total War) but EL doesn't even do that, it wants me to look at the map and take notice of different types of glitter.

I haven't played Humankind but I understand it goes the mainstream way by making it all about icons.

I’m used to it now, but I actually found Civ VI harder to read initially. Only because the “unexplored areas” and “explored but not visible” areas they decided to use the same color scheme. I found Civ V much more readable.

I’m also trying to dig into Endless Space 2. I enjoyed the first one enough, but this one is hard to parse for me. I’m wondering if I should disable all the DLC for a first run.

Edit: I know there’s videos and a wiki and such, but is there a cliff’s notes version of the connected lore in these games? Like the trajectory of the Vaulters and poo poo like that, who the various factions are? I mean across the Endless universe, not just one game. And my understanding is that ES1 is no longer in-canon?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 20, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The fundamental connected lore is that Endless Legend takes place in the dying days of the Endless Empire - Auriga is a laboratory planet of the Endless and the winters are the result of the planet basically going haywire as the lack of maintenance causes the whole thing to fall apart. Endless Space 2 takes place not super long after - the Endless are all gone but the Cravers and Vodyani at a minimum have some knowledge of the Endless, though most of the other factions seem to treat the Endless as more or less mythological and they've developed their own spacefaring tech so either the Endless spent a decent amount of time dwindled very far down or they developed that tech crazy fast. The Vaulters are the same faction: basically they canonically "won" EL and got off before it turned into a complete snowball. I forget how explicit it is but the Cravers are (probably) Necrophage derived.

ES2 basically completely overwrites ES1. I don't know how DOTE fits in really.

chaosapiant posted:

Any good screenshot LPs of this on these forums? Seems like there’s a lot to dive into with this game.

I briefly did an SSLP but I never finished it because I got burnt out on fixing uploads (apparently what I thought were legible uploads gave readers headaches). I hope somebody else does the game justice because I am not confident about either my abilities to write a decent LP nor my ability to follow through enough to do it justice.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

chaosapiant posted:

I’m also trying to dig into Endless Space 2. I enjoyed the first one enough, but this one is hard to parse for me. I’m wondering if I should disable all the DLC for a first run.

I strongly recommend disabling Penumbra for your first couple of games and only enabling it when you want to try "hacking" and also just pretending Awakening doesn't existing and disable that one permanently.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mjolnerd posted:

I strongly recommend disabling Penumbra for your first couple of games and only enabling it when you want to try "hacking" and also just pretending Awakening doesn't existing and disable that one permanently.

Not a bad idea. I can probably suss out most of the mechanics having played ES1 and EL, but the hacking poo poo confuses me.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Ditto on disabling Prenumbra, the hacking stuff is just a bit naff really. I didn't even bother with Awakening after the negative feedback. Shame, because the theme song for the hacking species is amazing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wish that the Endless games had a Crusader Kings style rules screen that let you enable or disable some mechanics without having to actually disable the entire dlc

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There is some of that, like I think you can turn off eclipses in EL, maybe even naval stuff?.. They also have in-game DLC enabler so you don't have to go to store app and remove DLCs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mitochondritom posted:

Ditto on disabling Prenumbra, the hacking stuff is just a bit naff really. I didn't even bother with Awakening after the negative feedback. Shame, because the theme song for the hacking species is amazing.

It's my favorite song.

I'd actually say for at least one game disable also Vaulters and Supremacy. Vaulters isn't too taxing but Supremacy adds a frankly even more gameplay warping layer to the game than Penumbra, it's just not obvious what that is until you're like 60 turns in an going "what the gently caress."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I finally grabbed Endless Legends Definitive. Is there any DLC I should disable for my first few games? Also what are the recommended starter factions?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ZearothK posted:

So, I finally grabbed Endless Legends Definitive. Is there any DLC I should disable for my first few games? Also what are the recommended starter factions?

Start with the wood elf dudes.

None of the DLC really gets in the way, in my opinion. I'd say you can safely disable every DLC except for the spies for your first game. Most DLCs add a bunch of minor and specific things that you can just add and catch onto pretty quickly. The spying is a little more substantial though, and it might be useful to get the hang of those mechanics as a base.

The second meatiest is the oceans DLC. The oceans give a lot of access to resources if you happen to be landlocked, and can definitely affect the game. If you want to start with less mechanics then I'd say to turn this off for your first couple of games, but turn it on once you get the hang of the land game.

All the remaining DLCs, you can just add simultaneously once you get the hang of the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Turn off Tempest (and keep it off, imo), Symbiosis, and maaaaybe Inferno? Shifters feels almost natural to me about the whole winter thing, the AI never uses espionage against you so Shadows is fine, and the rest are all unambiguously good minor addition stuff.

The Wood Elves are strangely enough the newbie faction with a focus on Industry, aka the best output. Vaulters, Argent mages, and Drakken all play normally with their own perks. The other vanilla factions come with very serious drawbacks/sacrifices that can confusing or hobbling, and the DLC factions tend to lean into their schtick too much for a first game.

Tip if you've not played Amplitude titles before: Basic 4x actions are sometimes gated behind optional techs (stuff like roads, peace treaties, etc), and just because a new tech tier unlocked doesn't mean the stuff in there is better than the basic stuff from before, just bigger/more expensive. You can't buy them all, so pick & choose which techs you'll ignore. Do you *really* need trade routes? etc

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ZearothK posted:

TBH I think the game is near-complete in its base state and that the DLCs are pretty specialized. I recommend disabling all the significant gameplay altering DLCs (Guardians, Shadows, Shifters, Tempest, Inferno, Symbiosis) for one game. Different players have different opinions about which DLCs are good or bad (I think Shifters is basically always good and Shadows is basically always bad, there are people here who have nearly the opposite opinion).

The most-commonly-recommended starter faction is Wild Walkers, followed by Drakken. Both of those engage with functionally every gameplay system, are highly flexible, and have mechanics that make both city placement and military engagement more forgiving. Vaulters I think is the most canonical and they do also have a mechanism to make military fuckups a lot more recoverable, but I personally find science focused factions really tough in Endless games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Human Crouton posted:

The oceans give a lot of access to resources if you happen to be landlocked, and can definitely affect the game.
Do you mean "Boxed in by AI on land?" Because Landlocked means you dont have access to water.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you mean "Boxed in by AI on land?" Because Landlocked means you dont have access to water.

Yes. Boxed in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tulip posted:

The fundamental connected lore is that Endless Legend takes place in the dying days of the Endless Empire - Auriga is a laboratory planet of the Endless and the winters are the result of the planet basically going haywire as the lack of maintenance causes the whole thing to fall apart. Endless Space 2 takes place not super long after - the Endless are all gone but the Cravers and Vodyani at a minimum have some knowledge of the Endless, though most of the other factions seem to treat the Endless as more or less mythological and they've developed their own spacefaring tech so either the Endless spent a decent amount of time dwindled very far down or they developed that tech crazy fast. The Vaulters are the same faction: basically they canonically "won" EL and got off before it turned into a complete snowball. I forget how explicit it is but the Cravers are (probably) Necrophage derived.

I briefly did an SSLP but I never finished it because I got burnt out on fixing uploads (apparently what I thought were legible uploads gave readers headaches). I hope somebody else does the game justice because I am not confident about either my abilities to write a decent LP nor my ability to follow through enough to do it justice.

Endless space 2 is a few hundred years after Endless Legends, The Vaulters canonically drift in space with their engines dead, the populace in cryosleep and robo friend powering everything with his dying heart before being saved by that rejuvenation field thing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Isn’t DotE basically the Vaulters (or Mezari? I can’t tell) having crash landed on Auriga, prior to the events of Endless Legend by several millennia?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

chaosapiant posted:

Isn’t DotE basically the Vaulters (or Mezari? I can’t tell) having crash landed on Auriga, prior to the events of Endless Legend by several millennia?

More or Less, the Endless Civil War went on for an unknown but very long time period.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Tulip posted:

DOTE is how Horatio became the Horatio Empire. drat tie in comics.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

Turn off Tempest (and keep it off, imo),

but if you turn off tempest you can't play the best race??

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thread's dead, so what.

I finally downloaded the community patch and I'm suddenly bad at Endless Legend again. Mykara is annoying as all hell when decently played. Like the cultists, I'm realizing you have to stomp them down on sight. I'm also getting sick of chasing Urkan, though, so I might just turn off Symbiosis when I'm not playing Mykara.

On the other hand I won a pacifist science game with the bugs. I'm sure it's a situational strategy and obviously it isn't optimal, but warlording is too much micro. I got enough food from turtling after settling aggressively and eating any stupid gently caress who wandered into my territory.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have the community patch downloaded but never got around to using it. Maybe because it was a windows executable or something?

If the AI suddenly becomes competent and gracefully scales upwards that's a big endorsement, imo the most recent generation or two of 4X games have really been lacking in that department.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I like Endless Legend a lot, but one thing I never could figure out was a way to benchmark how well I was doing. Lets say you're playing at normal speed. How many regions should you have colonized by, uh, turn 100? How many full armies should you have? I realize this is different depending on your faction, but I'm just looking for a general goal to measure myself by.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The crude metric is "1 city per empire plan." Obviously does not apply to all factions.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
I'm often finished settling with 6-7 cities by turn 60, although that does vary by faction and it may be advisable to add another 1-2 later if it doesn't strain your luxury resource supplies or the resources that you get from them make it worth it. When I played warmongery games, I was fond of running 2-3 armies: once you get going, a high-investment army is generally going to run over the AI with minimal attrition, but you often want to have two attacking to take territory faster or stop them from slipping past you to take back their cities, and depending on the situation, a defensive army for your own territory may be appropriate. If you're not intending to take territory, one army plus maybe a few garrison units is generally enough.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One every 10 turns for the first 60? That sounds like a strain on resources. What's in your build order other than settlers in that time?

Tulip posted:

The crude metric is "1 city per empire plan." Obviously does not apply to all factions.

This sounds like a good rule of thumb. Settled immediately after you pay for said plan, I assume. So that's 5 cities on turn 100, and maybe divide by two and round up for Allayi (as resources permit). For Mykara and the cultists I guess it's based on experience. So, you only stop when you run out of room, for most factions? Not sure why you would ever stop, otherwise.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 29, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Node posted:

I like Endless Legend a lot, but one thing I never could figure out was a way to benchmark how well I was doing. Lets say you're playing at normal speed. How many regions should you have colonized by, uh, turn 100? How many full armies should you have? I realize this is different depending on your faction, but I'm just looking for a general goal to measure myself by.

It's different depending not just a faction, but a lot of things. The beauty of Endless Legends (and Humankind and Endless Space 2) is there are truly different approaches. I know what you're talking about, in a game like Civ or Galactic Civilizations you one day realize how important is the early rush and it improves your game significantly. But Legend has many ways to project power and "expand", which is highlighted by factions who can't expand in a traditional way at all. In this game there are few drawbacks to commuting to any strategy and it's mostly about opportunities you lose instead. If you have a close neighbour then you can build 2 or 3 military units in a time it takes to build a settler, jumpstarting a new city may require as much dust as buying a couple of powerful mercenaries. Maybe there's a lot of maritime resources nearby. Maybe committing to your quest and getting it's rewards before you expand much will make you strong.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"It depends" is generally the most accurate and least useful answer to any question. If you're asking how many cities you need and when you should build them, you'll need some kind of baseline to work with before you can even learn to identify what it depends on. There's also the fact that "it depends" assumes the player knows what the range of reasonable possibilities is, but the person who asked probably already knows, so that's more for genuine beginners.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I guess a more accurate answer is not to measure yourself by the number of cities. A lot of 4X games (including Endless Space 2) teach players that the power of the faction is measured in the number of colonies (excluding Civ5, kinda) but the way EL is balanced every city spirals in terms of production. You want as many cities as possible once happiness is no longer a concern and you have enough dust to buy all the necessary facilities in new cities, but in early and mid game it's much more about land grab to prepare for a future war (or to make sure you won't need a war with a specific faction) and doing quests rather than building cities for the sake of economy.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Indeed. Cultists and Allayi in particular (IRRC) aren't particularly factions you should be worried about city count with as well.

I love the Broken Lords, but once the snowball happens, god I hate the micro.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

One every 10 turns for the first 60? That sounds like a strain on resources. What's in your build order other than settlers in that time?

I'm usually aiming to build Founder's Monument, Mill Foundry, Public Library and both settlers early, although not necessarily in that order. Getting a very early first settler out to pull the settle-and-salt trick is often key to hitting the tech and influence benchmarks needed for a turn 20 -33% building cost empire plan (if you stumble into an easy or free pacification quest for a 2-3 village region, as is common, it's a huge infusion of science and/or influence). After that it varies more by both situation and faction: many of the other tier I buildings, often an early Museum of Auriga in the capital (pushing at least one of the second round of settlers to one of the new cities), sometimes a fast Glory of Empire to make an influence-focused city, sometimes other things. Military units often wait until the late 30s or even longer.

I've often found that there simply aren't free regions that are still accessible by turn 80 (on Endless of course), and even if there are, it may not be worth sacrificing luxury uptime: by the point that the new city is well-developed and had the time to pay back the lost FIDSI, the game might well be over. Considerations include whether you have the free strategics to put up the high-value infrastructure, whether you're running a dust economy that can set up new cities fast, your current luxury situation, what resources are in the new region and sometimes even approval (usually not a major issue, but the double whammy of -10 and losing luxury uptime can cause issues games where it's more of a concern than normal).

Edit:

ilitarist posted:

in early and mid game it's much more about land grab to prepare for a future war (or to make sure you won't need a war with a specific faction) and doing quests rather than building cities for the sake of economy.

I have to disagree with this. Cities have fantastic return on investment in the early game so long as you can handle the approval issues and aren't in a weird situation with luxuries. Getting to 5 after the second empire plan is great for most factions.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 29, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HundredBears posted:

the settle-and-salt trick

Please tell me that the community patch killed that, those sort of things are abominable.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

HundredBears posted:

I have to disagree with this. Cities have fantastic return on investment in the early game so long as you can handle the approval issues and aren't in a weird situation with luxuries. Getting to 5 after the second empire plan is great for most factions.

You mentioned you postpone building military units until late 30's, which the same time you describe, right? I'm no expert in this game, but I can't imagine getting to 5 cities, not building military, and not having those cities sieged by neutrals as well as your capital lacking even basic buildings.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
I find that between early Language Square (a staple of my games) and the AI's love for burning villages, there typically aren't very many neutrals running around. The starting units (when I'm able to get them home after scouting), plus the hero, plus fighting battles within reinforcement range of militia are usually enough. It's not as though building a second settler hurts that much in getting out military (in the rare case when it is necessary early) or infrastructure, either. If memory serves, it's just 130-ish industry (in Era I) plus some food for a city that will often be pushing out ~40 FIDSI the turn that it's settled. Then in Era II, you have the extra city to build the extra settler.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tulip posted:

Is that so? I'd always had the impression it took place long after the endless died off and the planet is finally breaking down centuries or millennia later. Not a lore expert though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So how do you kill that rampaging setsuke though? It spawned practically on top of me, right in a region I wanted to colonize, and no one could really reach it but me. I bounced off that thing for the rest of the game, throwing increasing numbers of increasingly well geared units at it. How do you kill it without sinking massive amounts of resources into it?