Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the only way crypto has ANY value is by relating it to how much its worth in USD. That's the only way it has value. If you can't get USD for crypto, its nearly worthless.

You got it mate, the real value is $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mercury_Storm posted:

You got it mate, the real value is $0.

Yup. Initially when Amazon and Microsoft started accepting Bitcoin, the trick was it was only possible because they had an exchange that would quickly give them the USD value after the purchase. As soon as that exchange folded (as they often do) they quickly reversed course.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Funny story. That website got hacked a few days ago and lost $15 million worth of crypto

Did it get hacked or did it get "hacked"

("hacked" is when the owners just steal all the money and blame it on anonymous thieves)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VitalSigns posted:

("hacked" is when the owners just steal all the money and blame it on anonymous thieves)
Who knows, it’s crypto

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I was talking with friends last night about people who have millions of dollars but keep working, and posting. Apropos of Alexis Ohanian getting into arguments with nobody Twitter users who were making fun of his dumb NFT game ideas. This is a guy worth at least 50 million bucks, and he’s married to a Williams sister. Why does he even have social media? Why isn’t he traveling constantly and living the life of a sultan? Why isn’t he raising his kid and staring at the stars and being serene?

We talked and not a single person in the chat would still work and be on social media (at least directly, one of us wanted to hire someone to curate funny and cute stuff for them to look at) if we had gently caress you money.

What kind of brain damage does your Matt Damon or your other famous person have that this isn’t an option for them? This isn’t meaningful work; he’s not saving the planet, and is in fact contributing to harming it. So what the gently caress happens to a person’s brain where they cannot recognize having met the win conditions?

It’s made me start to think that any rich, famous person is fundamentally different than the rest of us, but not in the “great man” way, but more in the “empty man” way: a void that can never be filled. Taking advice from Oprah about how to be happy is like listening to a crackhead give you sobriety advice. She is unable to comprehend serenity as it is understood by the vast majority of humans.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

selec posted:

Need to invent a mass psychogenic illness for the rest of us. Malingering4All, let’s force the vote!

Havana Syndrome has you covered

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

selec posted:

I was talking with friends last night about people who have millions of dollars but keep working, and posting. Apropos of Alexis Ohanian getting into arguments with nobody Twitter users who were making fun of his dumb NFT game ideas. This is a guy worth at least 50 million bucks, and he’s married to a Williams sister. Why does he even have social media? Why isn’t he traveling constantly and living the life of a sultan? Why isn’t he raising his kid and staring at the stars and being serene?

We talked and not a single person in the chat would still work and be on social media (at least directly, one of us wanted to hire someone to curate funny and cute stuff for them to look at) if we had gently caress you money.

What kind of brain damage does your Matt Damon or your other famous person have that this isn’t an option for them? This isn’t meaningful work; he’s not saving the planet, and is in fact contributing to harming it. So what the gently caress happens to a person’s brain where they cannot recognize having met the win conditions?

It’s made me start to think that any rich, famous person is fundamentally different than the rest of us, but not in the “great man” way, but more in the “empty man” way: a void that can never be filled. Taking advice from Oprah about how to be happy is like listening to a crackhead give you sobriety advice. She is unable to comprehend serenity as it is understood by the vast majority of humans.

50m just isn't that much and you can barely even live a middle class life on that level of net worth in NYC,

-NYT Op-ed

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm not really sure why I bother to disagree with this statement, because it's not like he's done a good job, but it's not "all" self-inflicted. Even if you want to blame Biden 100% for what congress won't do, covid and inflation are not self-inflicted, and they are large drivers of his bad approval numbers. There are plenty of people who could be doing better in office in terms of setting the country up for long- and medium-term success, but there is probably not a single person in the world who would be above 50% in approval as US President right now.
when republicans are in charge all they talk about is how great things are going to be. just an endless march of "just a little while longer and utopia for all!" and the voters and the press sit in the passenger seat shouting "hooray for good times to come!!" no matter how bad things are.
when democrats are in charge they constantly talk about how good things can be if they had just a little more time/people/money. just an endless march of "we just missed utopia but just a few more senators/congressmen/voters and we'll be there" and the voters and the press sit in the passenger seat shouting "why not done yet???" no matter how good things are.
then the republicans run on fulfilling the broken promises and things are going to be great if they are elected...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciate Manchin immediately pouring cold water over Biden’s comment yesterday that they were going to see if they could pass some parts of BBB piecemeal

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1484219520671748101?s=21

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Look I can't vote on anything that will fix these things until we fix these things."

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

"Look I can't vote on anything that will fix these things until we fix these things."

"Also, I won't change the rules so we can fix these things. We need to convince the people that don't want to fix things, to want to fix things."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I appreciate Manchin immediately pouring cold water over Biden’s comment yesterday that they were going to see if they could pass some parts of BBB piecemeal

What an rear end in a top hat.

I've arguably lived too long to be surprised, but I'm still amazed at the amount of mental and financial power people will devote to justify doing nothing and letting everything around them go to poo poo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

selec posted:

It's kind of like Notch with his Minecraft money. I remember the crazy moment he tried to own someone online by posting a picture of his expensive watch while he was sitting on his boat. It was really him and not some PR firm. Dude's got more money than I could even conceive of. He's sitting on a yacht in a beautiful spot in the ocean...and he's on Reddit through satellite Internet yelling at TurdBurgler27. I would always hope that if I had that much money I'd be too busy reading books in my rescue aviary or nature preserve to be dumb online.

Maybe it's that weird need to be involved in the next big "important" thing, like you see with Silicon Valley jackasses.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FlamingLiberal posted:

lol

Might as well throw "solve climate change" on there but Manchin's so deep in coal that he cant' even put it in his impossible wishlist.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not just Manchin: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1484202292551340034
I guess we can safely conclude that Pelosi rejected the House Dems who wanted to give up on Manchin and pass things piecemeal.

Incidentally, she's also told the press she's now okay with banning congress from stock trading, although she doesn't see the need.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

The CIA even fired their Vienna station chief for daring to call Havana syndrome into question. And Congress went ahead and passed a law where you get additional money if you're in the blob and claim to suffer Havana syndrome.

Ultimately, the consensus here doesn't matter, only how seriously it was taken in places with power or by people with influence. We can try to use D&D as a sampling of such, but I don't think it's that fruitful and would like to move away from it. Not that a tiny bit of gloating isn't warranted for those were correct, but dwelling on it too much is unproductive.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's kind of like Notch with his Minecraft money. I remember the crazy moment he tried to own someone online by posting a picture of his expensive watch while he was sitting on his boat. It was really him and not some PR firm. Dude's got more money than I could even conceive of. He's sitting on a yacht in a beautiful spot in the ocean...and he's on Reddit through satellite Internet yelling at TurdBurgler27. I would always hope that if I had that much money I'd be too busy reading books in my rescue aviary or nature preserve to be dumb online.

Maybe it's that weird need to be involved in the next big "important" thing, like you see with Silicon Valley jackasses.

That's what is meant by "money can't buy happiness"

Money can make you very very happy especially if you don't have much of it. But if you're an insufferable shitlord there's not enough money in the world to make you happy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Manchin says he is open to some things, but they won't be modified versions of the BBB that passed the House.

He wants to trash the original bill and start with "a clean sheet of paper" for the bill.

Which sounds like another excuse to dawdle for 5 months.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1484219830710452224

eviltastic posted:

Not just Manchin: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1484202292551340034
I guess we can safely conclude that Pelosi rejected the House Dems who wanted to give up on Manchin and pass things piecemeal.

Incidentally, she's also told the press she's now okay with banning congress from stock trading, although she doesn't see the need.

Pelosi is saying here that because they have limited reconciliation opportunities, that it will all have to be one bill in the end. That "breaking it up and passing different chunks" is not an accurate description because there will only be one bill either way.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Let's be real here: if any single one of us ever became that rich, there is no way we'd ever give up :justpost:ing

you can log out any time you'd like, but you can never leave.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If I were a literal billionaire I'd probably do the same thing I do now, but on a yacht with a bored supermodel cashing my checks somewhere nearby, too.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

selec posted:

On the other side of it, I think it is very normal to get tired of just loafing around and partying. Some people I know who are "independently wealthy" and don't have to work are the most miserable people I know. Something about us needs to feel like we're doing something constructive (even if it actually is not).

I'd like to think that if I somehow won the lottery and never had to work again, I'd be working at a charity or trying to do something helpful. Having been jobless before, I know I'd get very bored not having a project or something to work on that I really believed in.

And I also think it's human to want to be able to express yourself and communicate with people. I don't know how having "gently caress you money" changes that desire.

I'm also sure Damon isn't actively thinking that he's accelerating climate change. I think he's just getting paid for a 1 day film shoot and there are plenty of people falling for all the puffery about crypto being the future.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

The thing with Notch is that he's socially awkward and is incredibly lonely. When he got his payday for Minecraft he didn't give a cent to those who basically carried the game for the last couple years before he sold to MS. So they rightfully said "gently caress that guy" and cut him out of their lives.

His girlfriend (fiancee?) broke up with him just before the sale, and after the sale decided to make up with him and get married. A year later, she divorced him. All coincidence, I'm sure.

He then went and bought some mansion in LA and outbid some famous celebrity, which pissed off all the other celebrity neighbors.

He has no real understanding of social interaction other than be my friend because I can give you things and thinks having and flaunting money = respect.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Pelosi is saying here that because they have limited reconciliation opportunities, that it will all have to be one bill in the end. That "breaking it up and passing different chunks" is not an accurate description because there will only be one bill either way.

I realize what she is saying and there will only be one bill that might actually get signed into law, yes. (Unless Romney has a lot more defectors in favor of the child tax credit than we think, I guess.) By pointing this out, she is also saying by implication that she’s not playing along if the administration is going to try to save face and pretend the whole agenda is still on the table.

Given that she was also flippantly (I hope) suggesting renaming the bill, it really comes across like she and Biden are not on the same page at all when it comes to messaging and that there’s some friction behind the scenes.

I think Biden might’ve really pissed her off with the last minute hot potato game over the eviction moratorium.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Manchin also says that the new blueprint has to ditch paid leave, childcare subsidies, an unconditional child tax credit, and the ~$7,000 per year Pell grant program that replaced the original tuition free community college program.

He wants the universal pre-K, home health care program, remaining climate stuff, $0 premium and deductible Obamacare plans with expanded income ranges, Rx price reforms, Insulin caps, and tax changes to stay in.

He also doesn't like that the expanded Medicaid provision rewards states that didn't expand by paying 100% of costs, but West Virginia has to pay 10% because they adopted it early and wants that changed or for the expansion to be dropped entirely.

No info on how he feels (at this second at least) on the housing provisions or the many small and medium sized programs that were pet projects of various members or older bills that stalled and were rolled in to BBB.

Paying attention to and outlining Manchin's preferences seems like a fool's game and a waste of time at this point, since they will likely change in a week, but there it is.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Eric Cantonese posted:

On the other side of it, I think it is very normal to get tired of just loafing around and partying. Some people I know who are "independently wealthy" and don't have to work are the most miserable people I know. Something about us needs to feel like we're doing something constructive (even if it actually is not).

I'd like to think that if I somehow won the lottery and never had to work again, I'd be working at a charity or trying to do something helpful. Having been jobless before, I know I'd get very bored not having a project or something to work on that I really believed in.

And I also think it's human to want to be able to express yourself and communicate with people. I don't know how having "gently caress you money" changes that desire.

I'm also sure Damon isn't actively thinking that he's accelerating climate change. I think he's just getting paid for a 1 day film shoot and there are plenty of people falling for all the puffery about crypto being the future.

I’d still design and produce games if I was independently wealthy, but I’d spend more time cycling etc.

Full retirement seems like a bad idea and I can’t afford that anyway.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Basically Manchin’s stated position is that black rights are less important than him being able to hash them out over a martini lunch with Mitch McConnell. Again, that’s his stated position, who knows if he actually believes it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Eric Cantonese posted:

What an rear end in a top hat.

I've arguably lived too long to be surprised, but I'm still amazed at the amount of mental and financial power people will devote to justify doing nothing and letting everything around them go to poo poo.
I mean, what do any of them care about the lives of Americans going to poo poo? They are completely disconnected from actual reality, and the only concern they have for our lives is how much wealth they can extract from us before we die. They don’t consider the consequences of the various crises we are/will be facing because their vast wealth shields them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Manchin is still fairly popular in West Virginia.

Sinema, I am not sure what exactly her plan is.

https://twitter.com/kerryeleveld/status/1484209026095214593

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1483632978798514179

Good to see a major paper actually bucking the trend of being swallowed by a hedge fund or private billionaire. Hopefully they can do some good work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

manchin is making the libs so mad that he likely can hold his seat. Like he's been incredibly effective at that and that has been a winning strat in WV for him.

sinema's endgame does not seem to give a single gently caress about staying in the senate or other elected office

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

This is what a GOP plant would look like, but following Occam's Razor, pretty sure she's just a complete idiot.

If her plan is to switch parties she's likely to be surprised when she loses to an actual Nazi in the GOP primary.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If they do narrow down the reconciliation bill to just things Manchin likes and has openly stated he supports, he'll refuse to support it on the grounds that reconciliation undermines the sanctity of the filibuster, and it wasn't meant to pass social programs, and demand that everything is put up for a vote on individual bills, which will either all fail or Schumer won't even bother.

Can we just drop the pretense of Democrats actually having a governing majority that "they" are failing to take advantage of? Sinema and Manchin are just openly working with Republicans to sink Biden's presidency; they're barely even trying to hide it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sinema's endgame does not seem to give a single gently caress about staying in the senate or other elected office

Blame sexism? Maybe it'll work.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/1483632978798514179

Good to see a major paper actually bucking the trend of being swallowed by a hedge fund or private billionaire. Hopefully they can do some good work.

I think I'm going to buy a newspaper subscription for the first time in my adult life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

manchin is making the libs so mad that he likely can hold his seat. Like he's been incredibly effective at that and that has been a winning strat in WV for him.

Multiple former members of her staff and former friends have said that she considers herself a future President and will be the one to unite all of the independents and people who don't vote because they hate all the partisan bickering.

It almost seems like her former staff and friends have all colluded to get the same story because I can't imagine someone legitimately believing that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Either she is one of the stupidest motherfuckers to somehow manage to draw breath, or she already has her next steady grift lined up and she's just running out the clock.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

He wants the universal pre-K, home health care program, remaining climate stuff, $0 premium and deductible Obamacare plans with expanded income ranges, Rx price reforms, Insulin caps, and tax changes to stay in.

I've asked this before, but I don't recall an answer: Are there price caps on what manufacturers of insulin can charge in the bill, or is the government merely subsidizing pharma's sky's-the-limit pricing, as it now does for private health insurers on the exchange?

quote:

Paying attention to and outlining Manchin's preferences seems like a fool's game and a waste of time at this point, since they will likely change in a week, but there it is.

And yet... here we are again... posting & reading about what he maybe-sorta-kinda-coulda-woulda supports now, for the thousandth time in a year.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Multiple former members of her staff and former friends have said that she considers herself a future President and will be the one to unite all of the independents and people who don't vote because they hate all the partisan bickering.

It almost seems like her former staff and friends have all colluded to get the same story because I can't imagine someone legitimately believing that.

Given how much she has laid into the "wine-loving maverick triathlete" schtick, I can totally see this being true.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That same poll had Biden's WV approval at 17 percent so no doubt Manchin's still popular there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

I've asked this before, but I don't recall an answer: Are there price caps on what manufacturers of insulin can charge in the bill, or is the government merely subsidizing pharma's sky's-the-limit pricing, as it now does for private health insurers on the exchange?

And yet... here we are again... posting & reading about what he maybe-sorta-kinda-coulda-woulda supports now, for the thousandth time in a year.

The insulin one caps what retail consumers pay, but doesn't cap the manufacturer price. So, it will be insurance companies, pharmacies, and manufacturers working out how much each one of them eats in the process. There's no government money involved. It's just a very blunt instrument of requiring that the end consumer price be $35 or less.