Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

she died of hep c not aids duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Terminal autist posted:

Yeah vaping sucks but you know what sucks more sobriety. I have more respect for a guy carrying around a plastic bag full of spray paint to get high than some straight edge freak

don't give them ideas

Will: Did you guys see the new op-ed in the Atlantic?

Felix: *tikka tikka tikka SKHHHHHHHH* *plastic rustling* *plastic rustling* *HUFFFFFFFF*

Felix: Yeah man. So cool.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Death Becomes Her is cool but the real reason Zemeckis is king is he made the Tales From the Crypt tv show happen

really? was he a producer on the show?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Vaping remains the dumbest and stupidest bullshit on Earth 8 years running

NFTs take that crown pretty handily now though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Forrest Gump 2's framing device is Forrest telling stories about his life from the late 90's - 2020 to fellow passengers while waiting for his cancelled flight. His first story involves being in an airport back in 2001, when he helps a nice young muslim man after he drops his boxcutter in the airport.

you’d have to up your game. the real sequel has him playing running back for the saints, inventing new coke, is prosecuted for securities fraud by Giuliani, causes the Exxon-Valdez disaster, captures saddam Hussein instead of liberating Kuwait, meets the Clinton’s and whitewater and whatever the gently caress this is

quote:

Once at Union Station in Washington, Forrest sees a homeless, handicapped man, who says he is Lt. Dan, who had fallen in with those who took advantage of him and absconded with his retirement money, leaving him bankrupt. On top of that, Dan has become half-blind. Forrest, not wishing to see Dan homeless, says they will work something out. Forrest soon meets with a Marine colonel who recruits Forrest into a clandestine mission to Iran. They meet with the President, who Forrest thinks might've been a cowboy or an actor. President Reagan congratulates Forrest on winning the Medal of Honor, and when Forrest simply states "I just ran", the President remarks "the report said it was while you were rescuing six or seven of your fallen men". On the mission itself, they meet Ayatollah Khomeini. The mission is discovered, and everyone disavows responsibility save for Forrest, who is jailed.

Some time later, Forrest and the other prisoners are eligible for a work release program, to which they are put to work under a "religious rehabilitation" at Holy Land, a religious-based theme park, where all the attractions are based on Bible stories. Due to his size, Forrest is cast as Goliath in a daily reenactment of the famous fight, but he finds the work harmful as he is constantly hit with rocks from the guy who plays David, and who "keeps muttering about Jodie Foster." Finally deciding he has had enough, Forrest one day takes matters into his own hand; throwing his rival across the arena. In doing so, he accidentally causes the park's circuitry to go haywire, resulting in mayhem and the reverend to be exposed having an affair with his secretary.

as for peak boomer, well,

quote:

Larry King reportedly called it "the funniest novel I ever read

(all quotes Wikipedia)

iirc the script for a movie submitted the day before 9/11 had Forrest responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing somehow

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

scary ghost dog posted:

we already know he cant do it, at this point hes just going to pretend he read a book that he thinks is impressive

I'm looking forward to the post about reading either War and Peace or Art of War.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
someone already made the joke about chaos, so i'm gonna suggest a dungeons and dragons adventure module

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
vaping is an easy way to get vitamin e in your diet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

you’d have to up your game. the real sequel has him playing running back for the saints, inventing new coke, is prosecuted for securities fraud by Giuliani, causes the Exxon-Valdez disaster, captures saddam Hussein instead of liberating Kuwait, meets the Clinton’s and whitewater and whatever the gently caress this is

as for peak boomer, well,

(all quotes Wikipedia)

iirc the script for a movie submitted the day before 9/11 had Forrest responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing somehow

Was the guy who wrote the book involved? I never read it but my understanding is he got completely hosed over on the movie profits and also that the tone was completely different and he wasn’t a fan of the direction the movie took

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it still bothers me that Shawshank lost best picture to that garbage

Now I’m reminded that Driving Miss Daisy won best picture.
Edit: Lol that was the same year that Last Crusade, The Abyss, BttF2, Do the Right Thing. I understand the blockbusters not being nominated for best picture, but lol at DtRT not being nominated.

Also lol at Field of Dreams being nominated for best picture. I swear people think it’s based on a true story or something.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Jan 20, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Victory Position posted:

really? was he a producer on the show?

One of the executive producers (along with da gods Walter Hill and Richard Donner), and from what I understand it was really his baby. he also directed a couple of the best episodes, the killer santa one and the WWI pseudo-remake-of-Paths of Glory one.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Pulcinella posted:

Also lol at Field of Dreams being nominated for best picture.
I know that the CSPAM boards are inherently a dream-killing experience and all, but no way!

As “Field of Dreams” developed this fantasy, I found myself being willingly drawn into it. Movies are often so timid these days, so afraid to take flights of the imagination, that there is something grand and brave about a movie where a voice tells a farmer to build a baseball diamond so that Shoeless Joe Jackson can materialize out of the cornfield and hit a few fly balls. This is the kind of movie Frank Capra might have directed, and Jimmy Stewart might have starred in — a movie about dreams.
-Roger Ebert

IDK maybe its because my dad died not too long ago and I'm too biased, because we actually did play catch and he was a good man. Lion King kills me too, so, eh

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

field of dreams is pretty cool idk i havent seen it as an adult but i had it on VHS as a kid

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1484195418623852547?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Forrest Gump 2's framing device is Forrest telling stories about his life from the late 90's - 2020 to fellow passengers while waiting for his cancelled flight. His first story involves being in an airport back in 2001, when he helps a nice young muslim man after he drops his boxcutter in the airport.

2010: Forrest joins an active guild in EVE Online

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Field of Dreams holds up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gripweed posted:

Field of Dreams holds up

Holds up as corny poo poo.

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Jan 20, 2022

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Popy posted:

field of dreams is pretty cool idk i havent seen it as an adult but i had it on VHS as a kid
its a slow start and has some dumb things, but listening to James Earl Jones say "Base-Ball" repeatedly is worth it. hard to not man-cry if you have a close relation with your father, or have kids (I'd imagine... not me though).

"For it is money they have, and peace they lack" -- may as well describe all the :10bux: sent to the Patreons of our chose purveyors of cynicism... even if these are deeply dark and cynical times.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have nothing against Field of Dreams but the better Costner baseball movie is for sure Bull Durham

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tiberion02 posted:

its a slow start and has some dumb things, but listening to James Earl Jones say "The people will cum" repeatedly is worth it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I have nothing against Field of Dreams but the better Costner baseball movie is for sure Bull Durham

bull durham owns. baseball movies in general own.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're allowed to like both I think

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Smythe posted:

the natural freakin owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like baseball

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

the milk machine posted:

the natural freakin owns

man havent seen this in a loong time. i was going to watch the new season of the DOTA anime tonight but i might just watch this instead....

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

agreed 100%. Bull Durham slaps... so too is The Natural, which is amazing

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Jan 20, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i haven't seen many baseball movies, mostly as a kid. field of dreams, league of their own, sandlot, angels in the outfield, rookie of the year

i just remembered the plot to rookie of the year and it's kinda sickening lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

fave underrated baseball movie: Eight Men Out

Wolfsheim posted:

You're allowed to like both I think

I am yes, you're not though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Smythe posted:

i like baseball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

baseball movies? ok grandpa. wake me up when they release de_dust2 of dreams

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

baseball movies? ok grandpa. wake me up when they release de_dust2 of dreams

isnt this just black hawk down?

i guess that would be cs_dust or something..... v0v

edit NO it's cs_arabstreets (EPIC MAP)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2field2dreams. the ghosts of jose canseco and barry bonds lead kumail nanjiani to get fuckin' ripped

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i also want to see the Bust Rodd Reading List of 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

another chapo ep which was pretty funny and completely unlike the way this thread described it when complaining about it lol

The only part I was really rolling my eyes at is when they started to get whiny about the extremely mild social censure/expectations (since there aren't even any actual restrictions to speak of) affecting things like travel and large social gatherings or not wearing a mask. Like I'm sure it's noticeable to them, but most not-young adults aren't frequently traveling (unless it's unenjoyable traveling as part of a job) or attending large social gatherings. I agree with their point about it being extremely lovely for current children/teenagers, but there was a point during the earlier parts of that whole tangent where they were really obviously annoyed for personal reasons.

And masks are probably the only thing that is still meaningful and will remain meaningful in the future, even if people aren't 100% consistent about them (since "lowering the rate at which everyone catches COVID" actually matters in terms of preventing hospitals from being overwhelmed, even if everyone catching it is still inevitable).

It's only really an issue if I'm sprinting or jogging for more than a couple minutes and isn't remotely life-threatening; it just means that I can't do anything aerobic outside.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
who the gently caress has the money to travel, CIA operatives perhaps????

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

The only part I was really rolling my eyes at is when they started to get whiny about the extremely mild social censure/expectations (since there aren't even any actual restrictions to speak of) affecting things like travel and large social gatherings or not wearing a mask. Like I'm sure it's noticeable to them, but most not-young adults aren't frequently traveling (unless it's unenjoyable traveling as part of a job) or attending large social gatherings. I agree with their point about it being extremely lovely for current children/teenagers, but there was a point during the earlier parts of that whole tangent where they were really obviously annoyed for personal reasons.

on the felix cumtown released recently, he made it very explicit that the chapo southern tour was specifically chosen because they knew no local government would shut down the venues

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Smythe posted:

isnt this just black hawk down?

i guess that would be cs_dust or something..... v0v

edit NO it's cs_arabstreets (EPIC MAP)

lots of historical ignorance in this post

wrong half life mod. black hawk down was a firearms movie. and if it had been cs, it obviously would be an es_ map (the rangers are terrorists)

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i haven't seen many baseball movies, mostly as a kid. field of dreams, league of their own, sandlot, angels in the outfield, rookie of the year

i just remembered the plot to rookie of the year and it's kinda sickening lol

Whenever I try to think of baseball movies that's the only one I can remember. The idea of an accident turning your body into a freak mechanical marvel is badass, as is the idea of a whole sport's worth of serious competitors being helpless in the face of it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

lots of historical ignorance in this post

wrong half life mod. black hawk down was a firearms movie. and if it had been cs, it obviously would be an es_ map (the rangers are terrorists)

you're avbsolutely right. thank you professor. :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sleeptalker posted:

Whenever I try to think of baseball movies that's the only one I can remember. The idea of an accident turning your body into a freak mechanical marvel is badass, as is the idea of a whole sport's worth of serious competitors being helpless in the face of it.

imagine jacking off tho