Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Strong britane great nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I miss my office :(

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
then to top it all off they did a "who is it pushing all these 'get back into the office right now' articles?" the absolute madlads

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the heady environs of harsh buzzing fluorescents and endless background drone

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Love nothing more than getting up a six to put on a shirt and walk in the rain to the station to then stand pressed up against some strangers armpit in a packed train in order to do the same job that I can just as effectively do at home in my pants while watching YouTube.

keep punching joe has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Jan 20, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I miss my office :(

I miss being within walking distance of the pub for Friday pints so in that sense I can empathize with all journalists in history

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

gonadic io posted:

god I hate the guardian so loving much

lol not even a single n95 in sight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
normal stuff this

https://twitter.com/reporterboy/status/1484155409866932226?s=20

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When I'm out and about it's about 1 in 20 n95s, then roughly 2/3rds of the rest are cloth (remaining 1/3rd surgical)

That's of people actually wearing masks. There're always more people with no mask at all than, say, people with surgical masks

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

normal stuff this

Mother of parliaments

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1484163529364189185?s=20

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Jose posted:

today i learned michael fabricant, him wiht that ridiculous wig, is bisexual

He swings one way, the hair swings the other

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don't have any. Cloth masks are cheap. :shrug:

If I used public transport routinely I'd probably give in & get a stack of them but it's cheaper to suggest stay at home & go no where.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't imagine getting on public transport not looking like I'm about to rattlecan a bike frame.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I bought a respro mask and a stack of replacement filters near the start of the pandemic and that's done me well, nearly as effective as an FFP2 and you can use each one casually for a couple of months before you change filter

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
You reuse n95s up to about 5 times if you're careful and dry them out in between uses

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

You reuse n95s up to about 5 times if you're careful and dry them out in between uses

you can reuse them way more than that

the main problem is that the straps lose their elasticity, and with it, the mask's seal

but the filter itself is gonna be fine for a long, long time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hey britgoons

is it accurate that bojo is probably going down in flames soon, and if so does that mean that keir starmer is going to be the prime minister? just asking because that seems worse to me somehow and I'd really rather not give western centrism something else to be smug about because they are legitimately the number one obstacle to progress

I'd puke in solidarity of your poor choices of politician but it's not like the US is doing any better (we're doing worse)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also are the blairites earnestly trying to convince people Starmer would be good at the job if he got it because lmao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

loquacius posted:

hey britgoons

is it accurate that bojo is probably going down in flames soon, and if so does that mean that keir starmer is going to be the prime minister? just asking because that seems worse to me somehow and I'd really rather not give western centrism something else to be smug about because they are legitimately the number one obstacle to progress

I'd puke in solidarity of your poor choices of politician but it's not like the US is doing any better (we're doing worse)

I'd say 75% chance Johnson goes down, but there's no guarantee a general election would follow. A new Tory leader could easily pick things up and play out the next three years before a new GE has to be called

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

hey britgoons

is it accurate that bojo is probably going down in flames soon

No

loquacius posted:

and if so does that mean that keir starmer is going to be the prime minister?

No

loquacius posted:

Also are the blairites earnestly trying to convince people Starmer would be good at the job if he got it because lmao

Sort of, although you can tell even their hearts aren't into it, they don't really give a poo poo about actually winning elections

Like, listen to how into it this guy sounds

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Kier Starmer will never be Prime Minister.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

loquacius posted:

hey britgoons

I think we are all at that 'Mueller Report' stage right now. We just don't know what is going to happen - if anything. Also, if Johnson was deposed he would be replaced by someone in his own party, not the opposition.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

true I guess the last two PMs both resigned in disgrace and yet the Tories stayed in power throughout which is pretty impressive tbh

Barry Foster posted:

Sort of, although you can tell even their hearts aren't into it, they don't really give a poo poo about actually winning elections

Like, listen to how into it this guy sounds

lmao

suit so empty it doesn't even really matter what his name is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Kier Starmer will never be Prime Minister.

yeah ignoring everything else about how britain is right now the tories are also doing a whole bunch fo voter suppression stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this is going to destroy most uni's in the country

https://twitter.com/timeshighered/status/1484061886161342468?s=20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

loquacius posted:

true I guess the last two PMs both resigned in disgrace and yet the Tories stayed in power throughout which is pretty impressive tbh

lmao

suit so empty it doesn't even really matter what his name is

every tory always campaigns on fixing all the problems caused by the previous one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jose posted:

lol this is going to destroy most uni's in the country

what's an unprofessional job

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

i say swears online posted:

Prime Minister

Humanities degrees are only for the children of the landed gentry, everyone else must study STEM or business studies.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

hey britgoons

keith will never be prime minister, the tories will fire boris out a cannon and replace him before a general election if his polling remains this terrible

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the ones that are hiring

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
A Live Britain
A Love Britain
A Laugh Britain

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Lol not sure I'd heard her speak and she's dire st it too. What is it with the Labour right all sounding weird]

I think it's because (deleted as appropriate) they don't have any firm beliefs/are never being honest. Everything they say is the result of focus groups, prepared scripts and soundbites, targeting a specific part of the (imaged) voter base, serving part of a broader message or trying to work an angle that will get clipped out and played on the news.

They're like kids dealing with their first crush, desperately pretending to like the same music, TV shows and games so they'll be noticed. Except they're not only adults but self-professed Sensible Grown Ups.

Remember how Corbyn caused a political earthquake during the original Labour leadership election in 2015 by the bold, unheard of tactics of 'speaking sincerely' and 'behaving like a normal person'. And this was an old man who has spent his life in left wing politics and studies drain covers in his spare time - he still came across as more relatable than these NPC-like weirdos.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yes but he likes poor people and ethnic minorities therefore electing him would result in another holocaust, hence the landslide tory vote!!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

New video of Boris denying all knowledge of parties/blackmail/trips of his primary aide to Barnard Castle has emerged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td67kYY9mdQ

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Let me look into this reeves woman a bit...

wikipedia posted:

Born in Lewisham, Reeves studied at New College, Oxford and the London School of Economics before working as an economist at the Bank of England, the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. and HBOS. Elected at the 2010 general election, she served in Ed Miliband's Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury from 2011 to 2013 and Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions from 2013 to 2015. As Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, Reeves announced Labour would be tougher than the Conservatives in reducing benefits for the long-term unemployed and would not seek to represent those out of work.

lol, lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the labour right love her because she's the biggest psycho of all of them and its the only thing they respect

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/OliDugmore/status/1484265313290043402?t=1qyhxkZjFErlyBEAAnLXbw&s=19

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

No Dignity posted:

Look, brute forcing herd immunity didn't work the first six times but nothing says it won't work the seventh

Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful virus totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing it'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.

Communist Thoughts posted:

what? a new variant??? where do these keep coming from!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Watch the Reform party start targeting Bury South hard. Gonna be a lot of Tory voters who feel betrayed and a lot of Labour voters who refuse to vote for a literal Tory, both looking for an outlet.

Alternatively the Tories just cut bait and tell people they can either vote for the Tories or the turncoat