Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games with skill trees that force you to spend the first talent point on something you don't wanna get. Why even offer it as a choice if you're just gonna make me use it on something I don't want? Just give me 4% more melee damage or whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like it when the skill points are new abilities, features or big mechanical changes and just putting points into that stuff also gives you the boring +% stuff as a side benefit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

thebardyspoon posted:

I like it when the skill points are new abilities, features or big mechanical changes and just putting points into that stuff also gives you the boring +% stuff as a side benefit.

Barotrauma does this phenomenally, every talent is either 'ooh neat' or a combo of 'cool'+'...okay sure? Wait that rules'

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah "+2% damage to frozen enemies" type of skill trees are awful and are worse than no skill tree at all. Or even worse, "+2 to a stat that is never thoroughly explained and you already have 200 in"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Or even worse, "+2 to a stat that is never thoroughly explained and you already have 200 in"

Several hours later, the final boss is now impossible because you didn't invest in those little +2 bonuses, idiot.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

RareAcumen posted:

I guess it's just me then. It feels like a complicated game with a ton going on and maybe I'm just overwhelmed by everything. Got that new game confusion where I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right yet. Made a Defender Hammer and the damage jumped from 416 to 676 and I can't tell if that's normal or I'm skipping stuff like that free Dark Souls looking armor set they give you. Thank god for that one too, that Barroth fight sucked trying to do it normally with leather armor meant that every hit would one-shot me.

I'd honestly recommend taking the basic version of each weapon and just trying them out on a great jagras, it'll help get a feel for how fights kinda go as well as the different playstyles and also just kinda help figure out if the gameplay appeals enough to perservere in learning.

I've been curious about MH since the first game, and even with that motivation I still thumped into all the menus and put it down for some months before I finally got into it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Also if you find people to play with that have played before that can smooth things over. Its a really good game but it does kinda overcomplicate some things.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

Games with skill trees that force you to spend the first talent point on something you don't wanna get. Why even offer it as a choice if you're just gonna make me use it on something I don't want? Just give me 4% more melee damage or whatever!

When Marvel's Avengers came out, I did not start with story mode but jumped into the multiplayer with friends. So when I leveled up, I put a point in the starting skill for Ms Marvel and trucked along. All seemed fine.

Later I noticed I seemed to be short a point compared to my friends. I discovered then that I was supposed to do the story which was supposed to give me that skill I bought for free. Which meant since I bought it with actual points, I was now a skill point short forever. Because the story event did not give a point, it gave the skill, which I had already unlocked with a point I wasn't supposed to have because Avengers was a well thought out game.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jan 20, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Byzantine posted:

That's just what Yugioh is now.

It is, but in other games like even Duel Links, the previous mobile title, you had a relatively tight turn limit so you couldn't just take forever. You had to play your cards and move the gently caress on with your turn. The fact that a single turn of someone who "knows what they're doing" will take like twenty minutes makes the game just abysmal.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
The story repeats itself with the tropes. In both countries there's a troubled female villain who undergo a form of redemption. It works with the former who is a boxed-in soldier who lacks the pull to change. It's less convincing with the viceroy who commits atrocity after atrocity, never exhibits any growth organically, and is awkwardly handled by the narrative throughout.

Heavensward had two major character deaths that heavily impacted the story and characters. In Stormblood an entire castle collapses on the comic-relief character, and he gets better.

at no point does the game try to redeem yotsuyu. her story is very different from fordola's, and it's intended to seem similar on the surface but explore two extremely different situations about a native living under foreign oppressor rule. there's a reason fordola sticks around and yotsuyu didn't.

yotsuyu is incidentally one of my favorite characters in the game. just an awful, awful hosed up person. just because we get some peeks into her early life doesn't mean at all that the game is trying to redeem her or make us think she's good actually.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i'm finally playing breath of the wild and its just too big

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've only played a but but it seems very much a "chill for a while" kind of game. Go in a direction, there's some monsters there, kill them and get some treasure, maybe a korrok seed turns up, no pressure, keep doing this for like 2 months and suddenly you've finished the game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Yes, the defender weapons and armor are essentially cheats patched into the game after release which teach you bad habits while also erasing a bunch of the game’s content in LR and HR by removing any choice and exploration in what equipment to forge. a dumb and bad addition to the game.

Oh dammit, can't believe this. They were one of the few things I could make. I can't tell what's a normal jump in damage and what isn't.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i made myself finish BotW when i started getting bored of it so that it wouldn't end up on the list of "open world games i play for a hundred hours and never see the ending of"

it's a lot and you shouldn't force yourself to keep engaging with it if you're not enjoying it, Sid, cause it's gonna be more of the same right up to the end

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Oh dammit, can't believe this. They were one of the few things I could make. I can't tell what's a normal jump in damage and what isn't.

Damage in Monster Hunter is extremely complex and confusing... but as a new player all you really need to know is that higher=better, raw/normal/physical damage is more important than elemental damage, and elemental damage is virtually useless vs. monsters that aren't weak to it.

Gradually improving your gear is the game's main progression, so just try to make stuff that looks cool while making your number go up.

But yeah, stay away from the defender gear if you want to actually learn the game. It's basically a cheat code created for veteran players to stroll through LR and HR with so they could get right to the Iceborne content on a fresh file.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BotW took me two separate tries before I decided I mostly liked it, and now I'm winding down on my full run. It really helps if you just like running around doing random stuff, but there's still a lot of looseness even if you try to power through the main progression. As much as I love a ton of it, there are a lot of times where I miss the more typical directed progress and dungeon setup in other Zelda games.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Chloe Jessica posted:

i made myself finish BotW when i started getting bored of it so that it wouldn't end up on the list of "open world games i play for a hundred hours and never see the ending of"

it's a lot and you shouldn't force yourself to keep engaging with it if you're not enjoying it, Sid, cause it's gonna be more of the same right up to the end

My nephew's played through BotW like 3 times now, apparently, including on master mode, as well as the DLCs. He's also trying to collect all the korok seeds. I was trying to convince him not to fall into completionist gamerbrain habits but it may be too late. I did get him Monster Hunter Rise for Christmas, though, hoping that having something else to play would get him to move on

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RareAcumen posted:

lol just make the defender stuff and skip some early game grinding

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

kazil posted:

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with using the Defender set. You're still gonna get killed when you gently caress up, the set just means it might not be a one-shot kill.

So many people had a bug up their butts about it "teaching bad habits".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I picked the hammer because everything else seems to either be A: more complicated than I can wrap my head around B: way too eager to move me around for every attack or C: Boring like the lances or bows. How do I make the Defender hammer explode? I can't tell what combo does that. I assume I have to charge and then power charge and then it does the explosion?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I picked the hammer because everything else seems to either be A: more complicated than I can wrap my head around B: way too eager to move me around for every attack or C: Boring like the lances or bows. How do I make the Defender hammer explode? I can't tell what combo does that. I assume I have to charge and then power charge and then it does the explosion?

The blast element just happens on it's own. Every few attacks it will just add extra damage.

World was my first MH game and I highly recommend just watching a video on some weapon basics. The game is really poor at teaching you stuff.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

It's been a long time since I played MHW so I can't remember the controls at all, but I absolutely loved the hammer. Just bonking shits on the head all day every day. Anytime you can use a slope to do the big flippy hammer attack, you absolutely should. The only downside is you can't slice off tails and stuff. Or maybe you can, I don't know.

I booted it back up fairly recently and was overwhelmed before I could even begin a quest, but might try again now that I'm thinking about it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SLOSifl posted:

The only downside is you can't slice off tails and stuff. Or maybe you can, I don't know.

Correct. Hammer loses tail cutting, but gains massive stun buildup when hitting faces.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Schubalts posted:

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with using the Defender set.

It’s essentially a cheat code for very easy mode. Nothing wrong with using it if that’s what you want, but new players should be aware that they’re skipping a lot of the gameplay and not just building a random upgrade.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
you also do exhaust damage with a hammer if you're hitting a part of the monster that isn't the face, so monsters will get tired more often. it's pretty helpful in rise because monsters are really aggressive and don't give you a lot of openings.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

It’s essentially a cheat code for very easy mode. Nothing wrong with using it if that’s what you want, but new players should be aware that they’re skipping a lot of the gameplay and not just building a random upgrade.

"skipping a lot of the gameplay" in this case is grinding the early game monsters when everyone else is playing at the end game. Like, if you want to be a purist or sink a hundred hours in at low rank, great, but not everyone does. And not everyone played the previous MH games and having armor and weapons you can use for a large chunk of time can help with not being overwhelmed by the billion different systems in the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Muscle Wizard posted:

you also do exhaust damage with a hammer if you're hitting a part of the monster that isn't the face, so monsters will get tired more often. it's pretty helpful in rise because monsters are really aggressive and don't give you a lot of openings.

I liked World a lot but eventually gave up once I got to the Furious Rajang fight. Just endless aggression from this super saiyan ape jumping all around the map while I'm trying to get in slow hammer swings in the split second that it was actually standing still. Like trying to fight a drat cannonball.

Should probably go back to it at some point and give it another try. The structure of World is weird, Shara Ishvalda seemed like the logical final boss of the DLC but then there's a bunch of new fights after. Fatalis looks like a great battle but actually getting there takes a lot of effort.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I gave Monster Hunter so many tries because my friends absolutely love it and I really just cannot get into it. I get what is fun about the progression and why you shouldn't skip it but the act of fighting monsters sucks so much. It's like your guy's running around under water. It's reminiscent to me of shadow of the colossus except it doesn't look like you're even hurting the boss till it magically switches to "I'm Hurt Now animation set #2".

It just felt completely joyless, especially with how washed out World's visuals are. Your dudes are laughing and exploding out of the air going hahaha wheee and I felt none of it on the other side of the screen. It's really sad because I adore the game world and the conceit.

Edit:in world there was a quest midway through to take a monster alive like usual but because I was fighting it effectively it didn't get a chance to change to the one indicator you have that it's almost dead, its own animation set, and I just killed it on a normal attack by accident. That was when I decided personally that the game wasn't respecting my time.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jan 20, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

"skipping a lot of the gameplay" in this case is grinding the early game monsters when everyone else is playing at the end game. Like, if you want to be a purist or sink a hundred hours in at low rank, great, but not everyone does. And not everyone played the previous MH games and having armor and weapons you can use for a large chunk of time can help with not being overwhelmed by the billion different systems in the game.

you do not need to spend time explicitly grinding in LR or HR for there to be engaging choices to make with the materials you have, and rushing as fast as you can to the difficult expansion which expects you to know the game (and is the exact spot where the cheat gear caps out so you’re on your own) shouldn’t be a goal. World was GOTY when it came out with no MR, and HR is a broadly more balanced and better experience overall; it isn’t like you’re somehow slogging through an outdated bad game just to get to the real game they added in the expansion. refusing to engage with that content just because it isn’t currently “endgame” isn’t doing yourself a favor

but they added the gear to the top of the forge menu next to everything else and made it dirt cheap to craft, which means you have to consciously choose not to use it every single time you look at the forge, so it isn’t even easy to recommend people avoid it. If capcom’s idea behind the gear really was to let a new save reach MR faster, they should have just done what witcher 3 did with its expansions and let you make a new save that starts there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it isn’t like you’re somehow slogging through an outdated bad game just to get to the real game they added in the expansion. refusing to engage with that content just because it isn’t currently “endgame” isn’t doing yourself a favor

Like hell. This is exactly how HR was sold to me by fans of the game when they were convincing me to play the horrible multiplayer system with them. Love to stand around in a lobby waiting for one guy to find the monster and quit for the same amount of time we're fighting the thing, just for the privelege of reaching the part where the game gets rid of that system.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Don't use the defender gear, you won't get the real monster hunter experience.

And by that I mean fire a SOS flare and have a level 500 guy obliterate the monster for you lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If you want to skip half the game then go for it, it's not a gamer crime or anything, but that's what you're doing.

Also lol@ all you chumps playing multiplayer videogames, what the hell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Defender armor is great when you get bored of killing the same drat monster over and over and just want to see the credits so you can delete the game and write off the whole drat series as not for you.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Necrothatcher posted:

The Defender armor is great when you get bored of killing the same drat monster over and over and just want to see the credits so you can delete the game and write off the whole drat series as not for you.

you can just stop playing the game

don't let sunk-cost fallacy trap you into doing something you're not enjoying

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chloe Jessica posted:

you can just stop playing the game

don't let sunk-cost fallacy trap you into doing something you're not enjoying

My girlfriend is this way and it's tragic, but only kind of. She started playing Dark Souls because I like the games and she had a pre-existing big appreciation for its design, but the problem is stamina management based combat in games just absolutely bounces off her. She can't stand it. But she has the type of personality that would not let her give up.

She has now played all 3 games and the DLCs and still doesn't like the combat- once she started she refused to stop until she'd proved to herself that her distaste for the gameplay couldn't stop her from experiencing a real good series. And she did experience it, bitching back and forth with me about stuff she didn't like most of the way, and we both had fun.

Games sometimes mean very different things to different people.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jan 21, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the whole "playing games you don't like to get them out of your *~backlog~*" thing is completely deranged and a great way to destroy your enjoyment of a fun hobby

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Or it shows a sense of commitment and shows you can be relied upon to employers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

If you want to skip half the game then go for it, it's not a gamer crime or anything, but that's what you're doing.

Also lol@ all you chumps playing multiplayer videogames, what the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJqOlYaJbs

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Or it shows a sense of commitment and shows you can be relied upon to employers.

i notice you have a several month gap in your game completions. care to explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

moonmazed posted:

the whole "playing games you don't like to get them out of your *~backlog~*" thing is completely deranged and a great way to destroy your enjoyment of a fun hobby

Any game released after 2015 only has one purpose: remind me that I should be playing Bloodborne.