Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

So many people had a bug up their butts about it "teaching bad habits".

This is true the defender armor is fine. Itll make LR a little easy but thats ok. Also though as someone whose whole build was designed around mainlining mushrooms to stay alive i may be biased.

oldpainless posted:

Or it shows a sense of commitment and shows you can be relied upon to employers.

i once in real life ran into a resume that cited completion of games as a sign of getting things done and problem solving. Which was bananas, dont put that on your loving resume.

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ZeusCannon posted:

i once in real life ran into a resume that cited completion of games as a sign of getting things done and problem solving. Which was bananas, dont put that on your loving resume.

If I ever manage to plat Dark Souls 3 you can bet I'm gonna put that poo poo on LinkedIn.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The discussion about Darkest Dungeon catering to masochists reminded me of why I fell out of love with Hollow Knight. It was neat how a game bursting with stuff got free content updates, but all of it was aimed at hardcore fans given the focus on souped-up bosses. The nadir was having one of the game's endings locked behind a 50 phase boss-rush with no checkpoints, which is when I dropped the game in disgust. There's a difference between a game having a skill-floor needed to complete a task, and a game demanding hours of your life to master a skill is not transferable to anything else. I'm not excited for the sequel since they're leaning in that direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would say do not put gaming on your resume but do bring it up if you are interviewing for a job that requires manual dexterity like operating heavy vehicles or practice in precise, quick repetition like typing or translation/stenography. It's a legitimate example of a physical skill even if it's not something people would consider useful in most job environments. As always, oldpainless' posts have a nugget of truth buried deep within them indeed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I almost ace my job interviews by talking about how I was able to 100% Through the Fire and Flames on expert but then they ask where I see myself in 5 years and I instinctively respond with "Doing your wife"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Ah, I see here you've beat the entire Yakuza series, quite an impressive achievement! May I ask what difficulty? Hard? Ex-hard?"
".....baby"

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

tbf the smartest gamer is the one that doesn't play games. the real brain genious. they who would exit samsara.

paying a fraction of a game's price to play a fraction of the game with a fraction of your attention. non-attachment made a lifestyle. a budding Buddha nature

Ramie has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jan 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Leal posted:

I almost ace my job interviews by talking about how I was able to 100% Through the Fire and Flames on expert but then they ask where I see myself in 5 years and I instinctively respond with "Doing your wife"

Failed the QTE huh, I thought Guitar Hero was a rhythm game

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ZeusCannon posted:

I've played enough Satisfactory that I should be allowed to manage a real factory without any prior industry experience.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I remember talk of people putting leading MMO raids into their resumes as essentially 'online team coordination', that's basically the only time I've heard someone spin a game skill into a resume in a form I'd buy. Especially in the modern day; maybe someone who runs a raiding static actually would be better at coordinating WFH teams than someone with only in-person managerial experience.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

But I can’t call my co-workers a bunch of fuckheads and call the workday off if they aren’t listening like you can with raids.

… Well, you could do it once I guess.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I meant that more in the sense of "you're ignoring a lot of the content you paid good money for" way but yeah sure. It's not an MMO so there's no need to rush to the endgame (there's no need to do that in MMOs either :ssh:).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Moon Monster posted:

Also lol@ all you chumps playing multiplayer videogames, what the hell.

Right? I'll play multi player whatever if it's people I know or something but by and large you can miss me with the online experiences that mostly excel at calling me n-word or f****t

Also, yeah, if I'm playing a game and it just aint doing it for me I have no qualms calling it a day on that one and moving on to something else.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Jan 21, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Moon Monster posted:

I meant that more in the sense of "you're ignoring a lot of the content you paid good money for" way but yeah sure. It's not an MMO so there's no need to rush to the endgame (there's no need to do that in MMOs either :ssh:).

lmao how much content do you think the defender stuff is letting you skip? You still have to do all the story quests. You just don't have to farm 10 pukei pukei asses to get a new helmet every 5 hunt

don't ever play multiplayer! if another player hits a monster, they are stealing HP that you paid for!!!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

don't ever play multiplayer! if another player hits a monster, they are stealing HP that you paid for!!!

This guy gets it. Also gamers are mostly scum, try to avoid them if possible.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

kazil posted:

not multiplayer, but a similar concept: when i play open-world games with companions, i never use them beyond doing their quests because i get legit really irritated when they kill-steal from me

however, this is because my brain is broken in this particular way, not because it's an inherent flaw in the game design

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Chloe Jessica posted:

it's a lot and you shouldn't force yourself to keep engaging with it if you're not enjoying it, Sid, cause it's gonna be more of the same right up to the end

This is a good rule of thumb for games in general.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For what it's worth "don't talk about playing games on your resume" is legitimately bad advice, mentioning that I play visual novels got me the comission making the trailers and some promo materials for this game. If I hadn't been specific they would probably have passed me up in favor of artists who had done anime/VN work before. You play video games for fun, why would you be afraid to talk about that fact with other people?

edit: Your boss isn't fuckin Biff from Back to the Future. He's not going to give you a swirly because you mention have played a thousand hours of American Truck Simulator, a trucking game, at your hauling job interview.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jan 21, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cleretic posted:

I remember talk of people putting leading MMO raids into their resumes as essentially 'online team coordination', that's basically the only time I've heard someone spin a game skill into a resume in a form I'd buy. Especially in the modern day; maybe someone who runs a raiding static actually would be better at coordinating WFH teams than someone with only in-person managerial experience.

Raid leading in an MMO is absolutely a marketable skill, even if you have to layer it in some resume-speak. You are responsible for organizing 9-24 to other people to accomplish complex tasks in a time-sensitive environment while maintaining positive morale in high-stress situations.

hire me for project manager bitch i cleared spine of deathwing on heroic i bet the other candidates couldn't even get past warlord zon'ozz

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

kazil posted:

lmao how much content do you think the defender stuff is letting you skip? You still have to do all the story quests. You just don't have to farm 10 pukei pukei asses to get a new helmet every 5 hunt

some may argue that the gameplay loop of having to repeatedly fight the same monster and learning its patterns and feeling tangible improvement in how you face it is the core appeal of monster hunter and choosing to skip all that and jump into the deep end may end up impacting your enjoyment of the game in the long run. not me though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth "don't talk about playing games on your resume" is legitimately bad advice, mentioning that I play visual novels got me the comission making the trailers and some promo materials for this game. If I hadn't been specific they would probably have passed me up in favor of artists who had done anime/VN work before. You play video games for fun, why would you be afraid to talk about that fact with other people?

edit: Your boss isn't fuckin Biff from Back to the Future. He's not going to give you a swirly because you mention have played a thousand hours of American Truck Simulator, a trucking game, at your hauling job interview.

I will adjust my statement. If you are interviewing in the game industry then yes please feel free to talk about games. If you are applying for a job outside of that? Dont mention it.

And to be clear feel free to answer "I like to play videogames" as your response to what is your hobby or whatever. Its not shameful but its not something to document unless its specifically applies to a job. Telling me you are a real problem solver because you once beat Majoras Mask is not helpful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno who this invisible person you're making up is, but the actual solution a real person would come to is listing it as a hobby/interest and not a profession inbetween other occupations, which is what this discussion is couched in

Fair enough on my example still being biased though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

oldpainless posted:

Or it shows a sense of commitment and shows you can be relied upon to employers.

I regret all of my posts but I especially regret making this one

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I didn't explain it well. The person who handed me the resume had legitimately put that they had beaten RPGs (I think Morrowind specifically? Its been years so the details are foggy) as a sign of their ability to solve problems. This was not presented as a hobby or what but rather as part of their educational background.

Past that tbh youre right people put whatever they want on their cv / resume since its theirs to do with as they will. Also this is now the derail dragging this thread down so I will cease.

oldpainless posted:

Hell, same.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

oldpainless posted:

more like newregretsmore

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Like hell. This is exactly how HR was sold to me by fans of the game when they were convincing me to play the horrible multiplayer system with them. Love to stand around in a lobby waiting for one guy to find the monster and quit for the same amount of time we're fighting the thing, just for the privelege of reaching the part where the game gets rid of that system.

the MR storyline still has cases of this and you would encounter exactly as many instances of it in LR and HR whether you were or weren't using the gear this discussion was about, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say or how it's relevant

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I liked World a lot but eventually gave up once I got to the Furious Rajang fight. Just endless aggression from this super saiyan ape jumping all around the map while I'm trying to get in slow hammer swings in the split second that it was actually standing still. Like trying to fight a drat cannonball.

Should probably go back to it at some point and give it another try. The structure of World is weird, Shara Ishvalda seemed like the logical final boss of the DLC but then there's a bunch of new fights after. Fatalis looks like a great battle but actually getting there takes a lot of effort.

I think I fought angrier ape exactly twice since I was starting to slow down on the game around then and I'm sure it would have been a misery to solo, but the team happened to be :torgue::torgue::torgue::torgue: so he basically didn't get to do anything

https://i.imgur.com/lIyCYmh.mp4

outside of teams like this I was just getting really bored of taking sticky LBG and shelling GL loadouts to everything to avoid having to engage with the godawful tenderizing mechanic and clutch claw jank

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Telling me you are a real problem solver because you once beat Majoras Mask is not helpful.

pfff if you can't destablize or restablize a small city state/country in 72 hours, youre not fit for terrorism or counter terrorism.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Reinstalled Fallout: New Vegas for the first time in over a year. Also the first time I've tried the Jsawyer plugin, and I like it, but I'm having a hard time adjusting my playstyle to the halved inventory space, and making the water/food/sleep meters move twice as fast in hardcore mode doesn't really add that much to the experience.

I've probably said this before, but I could also really do without the car-sized poisonous wasps appearing six feet from my head the second I turn my back in Honest Hearts. Supposedly there's some kind of kludgy technical reason why they do it but still.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

With how Breath of the Wild handles health and stamina upgrades, I really appreciate that they allow you to swap upgrades back and forth between them for a pittance of money. But man, it's implemented in the most aggravating way possible. Giving or taking an upgrade takes a minimum of three dialogue options and an unskippable animation each way. Why can't I just use a counter to say "I'm exchanging five hearts for five stamina, yes I accept the 100 rupee fee"? Just one of several consistently aggravating interface issues that I can't believe made it through testing.

Oh man. I was ready to laugh at you for complaining about this. I mean, how often do you really need to change up your stats? But then I got to the part where you say it's for every point and my mind was blown. I guess I don't play enough Nintendo games to anticipate a AAA video game having so little respect for the user experience.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm playing KOTOR and a meta thing that's dragging the game down is 2003 era GameFAQS. Google will either take to one of their 20,000 word single block of text walkthroughs or somehow even worse message boards. Someone will ask something perfectly innocent like "I have to find X, but I've looked forever and I can't see it." To which the first comment will inevitably be something like "Just look around more, idiot. I'm not your babysitter." Like why even respond at all??? Why was everyone so hostile over dumb things on that site?

Also Manaan is way too big and takes forever to get anywhere.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Jan 21, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Project Wingman is a fantastic game and it's so drat frustrating because the missions have no checkpoint. So you can get 15-18 minutes into a 25 minute mission, clip the ground or just get worn down by constant AA fire, and have to restart from the very beginning. I just quit out after failing the same mission 5 times because I kept clipping the wing of one of the airships in the mission. Airships are freaking gigantic ships that serve as minibosses in many missions. They have a shitload of targets on their back and the actual air frame itself takes no damage until you blow up all ten-twelve targets on its back. Some targets will not appear until all the others are destroyed. So it's really easy to clip one of its wings while making repeated strafing runs while trying to dodge the absurd number of missiles being shot at you.

All the dialogue really starts to grate the fifth time through the mission as well.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I really love Project Wingman until I got a sequence of missions where I kept running out of ammo halfway through unless I was super conservative. And spending 20 min only to have to reset with a worse load out but with more ammo just sucked.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The discussion about Darkest Dungeon catering to masochists reminded me of why I fell out of love with Hollow Knight. It was neat how a game bursting with stuff got free content updates, but all of it was aimed at hardcore fans given the focus on souped-up bosses. The nadir was having one of the game's endings locked behind a 50 phase boss-rush with no checkpoints, which is when I dropped the game in disgust. There's a difference between a game having a skill-floor needed to complete a task, and a game demanding hours of your life to master a skill is not transferable to anything else. I'm not excited for the sequel since they're leaning in that direction.

This is p much what happened with me. I got to the jazzed up version of that circus / devil boss guy and it was just absurdly difficult. I made zero progress practicing it after a few days and just said “gently caress it”.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phigs posted:

Oh man. I was ready to laugh at you for complaining about this. I mean, how often do you really need to change up your stats? But then I got to the part where you say it's for every point and my mind was blown. I guess I don't play enough Nintendo games to anticipate a AAA video game having so little respect for the user experience.

They're super good at core game designs, but almost always have a handful of dumb user interface issues. See also BotW having no option to discard a weapon or shield if your inventory's full and you find one in a chest, when probably 2/3 of the shrine chests have them. That's way more pervasive of an annoyance.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

There's a series of sidequests throughout the game where you help an ordinary guy get out of the demon-filled castle- not escort missions, thankfully, you just have to give him a waystone, a cheap item that automatically teleports you back to the central hub area. The very last of these quests cannot be completed until you're almost completely done with the game- and when I say 'almost completely done', I mean I could conceivably see someone continuing on thinking there's more only to suddenly be faced with the final boss- because you need the power you get from the penultimate boss. The reward for the quest isn't even that great either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Frank Frank posted:

This is p much what happened with me. I got to the jazzed up version of that circus / devil boss guy and it was just absurdly difficult. I made zero progress practicing it after a few days and just said “gently caress it”.

Yeah, tailoring game design to the hardcore gaming populace that seemingly has nothing else to do with their time besides play video games is a mistake and "being incredibly difficult" isn't as much a design decision so much as just further challenging people who've mastered a game after 200 hours of playing it while ruthlessly punishing newbies and turning them off.

The original Resident Evil 1 is incredibly challenging (and even RE2make) if you go in blind but by the time I'd sunk enough hours into both of them I was clowning monsters all over the mansion/RCPD. Doesn't mean they have to double the amount of zombies, raise all their hit points or make ammo more scarce right out of the box to make it fun.

Set all those Super Hard Holy poo poo difficulty levels to "Nightmare" in the menu and if fuckers wanna dive right into that poo poo then have at it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bloodstained is 10 hours of your standard Castlevania, and 20 hours of grinding for 100%. It's pretty chill and easy, and only the last two levels out of twenty suck.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I recently played through monster hunter world with a friend and we just used mods to make it less poo poo. The game's a lot more fun when you aren't actively fighting against it in every way to fight the cool monsters.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Bloodstained is 10 hours of your standard Castlevania, and 20 hours of grinding for 100%. It's pretty chill and easy, and only the last two levels out of twenty suck.

Yeah it's basically just another aria of sorrow style game, which I liked so I liked it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the worst cases of games of having multiple characters or builds, but the story funnels you down a path only suitable for one of them?

Disco Elysium had the one Shivers check you had to pass, and you could softlock the game if you don't have accomodation on Night 2, despite the idea of being a hobo-cop.

FFXIV keeps throwing timed DPS challenges where failure means game over. This is frustrating when playing as a healer or a tank and you simply can't kill fast enough on normal difficulty.

Vampire Bloodlines strongly favours combat-heavy characters from the Sewer level onward, as the game ran out of time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I think the obvious answer is Fallout 4 shoving a minigun fight against a Deathclaw at you right away. gently caress you if you want to play stealth or low-strength; you're fighting a deathclaw with a giant weapon now.