Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

TammyHEH posted:

i want you to come back to discord

That’s riddled with them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/20/serbia-scraps-plans-for-rio-tinto-lithium-mine-after-protests

quote:

Serbian authorities have abandoned plans to build a controversial lithium mine, the prime minister has announced, after weeks of protests against the project that was to have been built by Rio Tinto.

The surprise U-turn from the government comes months before expected national elections as President Aleksandar Vučić’s administration tries to shore up support from voters after a series of major protests that gained traction across large swaths of the Balkan country.

The move also comes as relations between Belgrade and Canberra have soured after the high-profile deportation of tennis star Novak Djokovic from Australia on Sunday.

lol

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's fascinating how many people I know in Sydney and Melbourne who've spent the past three weeks (rightfully) screaming bloody murder about RAT tests/hospital crises/staffing shortages/every man and his dog being in self-iso, are now sneering at WA again. It hasn't exactly been a great sales pitch.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's fascinating how many people I know in Sydney and Melbourne who've spent the past three weeks (rightfully) screaming bloody murder about RAT tests/hospital crises/staffing shortages/every man and his dog being in self-iso, are now sneering at WA again. It hasn't exactly been a great sales pitch.

One of the stories I show was quoting businesses saying it was bad for them and have they not been watching what's happening to retail and hospo in the rest of the country?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Senor Tron posted:

One of the stories I show was quoting businesses saying it was bad for them and have they not been watching what's happening to retail and hospo in the rest of the country?

all they want is number go up

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Even putting aside that a shadow lockdown is bad for business, I thought it was supposed to be boom time in WA because nobody can holiday overseas or get much labour in so there's restricted supply for heaps of services? i.e. my dad is renoing a house and says all the plasterers, tilers etc are booked out for a year or more.

Like if there are businesses struggling then fair enough, even if I don't think that outweighs everyone in WA living COVID-freely, but apart from the universities I'm struggling to think of who would be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

There seriously doing that? Sydney and Melbourne are expected to peak in what like a week or two, and hosptilzations are going to keep going up 5-10days after that? It's a most good thing for everyone WA's being able to keep their numbers under control.

people are weird and stupid and I don't like them. :colbert:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wonder if they factored in the ‘Straya day Super Spreader event in the peak numbers.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nobody is talking about wa except to occasionally wish people would stop acting like it’s real

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

realbez posted:

i want to be liberated from the posts of west australians

freebooter posted:

Like if there are businesses struggling then fair enough, even if I don't think that outweighs everyone in WA living COVID-freely, but apart from the universities I'm struggling to think of who would be.

My Facebook feed is filled with former colleagues in Perth complaining about that idiot McGowan ruining their travel plans, how inhuman and monstrous it is that they can't leave their prison, how they have nothing to look forward to, how international students are so hard done by (they're all permanent residents though so not really relevant to them personally, admittedly sucks for the more precarious students), how everyone supporting the government is an insular born-and-bred moron that probably never left the state, how omicron is mild and they should just go for herd immunity now (never mind that it's close to peaking out East), how the rest of the world gave up on zero covid and so who wants to be like dystopian China with their modest body count, etc. etc.

These are all scientists or friends/family thereof so I find it fascinating to (virtually) witness an upside down land where mostly left-leaning academics are railing against a popular government taking the health of their people seriously. Also highly ironic that one of them literally wrote a paper about the environmental impact of research, including long-distance air travel, although they're the least virulent of the bunch (ha ha get it) and just said they're disappointed but understand the decision.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 21, 2022

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

dr_rat posted:

There seriously doing that? Sydney and Melbourne are expected to peak in what like a week or two, and hosptilzations are going to keep going up 5-10days after that? It's a most good thing for everyone WA's being able to keep their numbers under control.

people are weird and stupid and I don't like them. :colbert:

It's a genuinely baffling display of cognitive dissonance and the explanation I've settled on - given how often they refer to "families being torn apart" while ignoring e.g. me, who is torn apart from his family but can accept it given the circumstances - is that they don't really conceptualise WA as a place where 2.5 million of their fellow citizens live, work and play. They've never been there, they don't know anyone who lives there, they don't think about it. They see those headlines about east-coast-sandgropers not being able to attend funerals of loved ones and think "that's awful" (and it is! there are only less-bad options available to us all now!) and see headlines about how McGowan has neglected hospital funding/preparation (and I dunno, maybe he has!) but on a subconscious level they don't really grasp what it means for such a large number of people to be able to still go about their day to day lives without having to do the constant risk assessment that comes with living with the virus.

I think the same is also true to a lesser extent of how native Vics and NSWers view Queensland/SA/Tas. This Crikey piece from a while back put it well: "what happens outside the south-eastern corner of the country is seen as provincial eccentricity at best."

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/09/03/two-counries-border-closures/

The word "parochial" has been sneeringly tossed around a lot by people in the larger states and I think it's way, way, way more "parochial" to assume that your own experience of the world must surely be what's best for everyone else, including people living in a place you've never been to and never think about.

edit - and FWIW, I do actually think elimination is not a desirable strategy in the long run, and definitely not a possible one either, as has been amply demonstrated by the fact that Omicron is already seeded in Perth and they'll probably see those numbers take off before January's out. (And suspect this is at least partially McGowan's motivation - unlike Marshall and Palaszcuk and Gutwein at least he can accurately say "I didn't let it in, it inevitably leaked in, this isn't my fault.") But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to maintain it, especially after the shitshow of the last few weeks in the east, and anybody criticising WA right now has no leg to stand on when complaining about the effects of COVID in their own state from here to eternity.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 21, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

But if we try to keep COVID out and then it eventually gets in all we will have done is save a bunch of lives along the way.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

and see headlines about how McGowan has neglected hospital funding/preparation (and I dunno, maybe he has!)

The current state government has absolutely neglected hospitals, and not just during covid times, but in the 3ish years before that too.

The previous staye government absolutely destroyed the state hospital system.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cormac_McCafe/status/1473183006760194052?t=FDX_qjJLAKiudgn3DQ3dPg&s=08

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

China can't even invade Taiwan and they're right next door.

A million times, this. All China has is numbers. More people, more tanks, more subs. Whether they're capable of doing gently caress all other than a parade is a completely different story. If they could successfully invade and take the over the tiny island off their shores, they'd have done it decades ago.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
that might have been true 20 years ago but china has been building a navy and developing their amphibious doctrine in a big way.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

thatbastardken posted:

that might have been true 20 years ago but china has been building a navy and developing their amphibious doctrine in a big way.
Don't talk Clancy plz. China hasn't been in a major conflict with another state for a long time and that last fight didn't go so well.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
America HAS been in a major conflict with another state for a short time and that last fight didn't go so well either. Multiple times!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thatbastardken posted:

The point still stands, however, that if the CCP thought they could successfully invade Taiwan, they would have done it by now.

Especially under a bloody-handed monster like Xi,

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In keeping with our post-2020 "wow I never thought something like this could happen but all of a sudden it did" vibe, I don't think it matters how many subs and warships and tanks someone has, I think it matters who has nukes and how far they're prepared to call someone else's bluff about using them. Around the time Trump got his finger on the button I started reading a lot about nuclear weapons and goddamn, Trump or not, learning more about their history and propagation and potential future use (which very much exists) did not reassure me. Australia will probably be fine! Taiwan and Ukraine and anywhere else America isn't prepared to stick its neck out to defend - maybe not so much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Taiwan's military is literally having planes crashing into each other and reportedly rock-bottom morale. It goes both ways. The US is incredibly garbage at actually propping up its allies, and only partly on purpose.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

In keeping with our post-2020 "wow I never thought something like this could happen but all of a sudden it did" vibe, I don't think it matters how many subs and warships and tanks someone has, I think it matters who has nukes and how far they're prepared to call someone else's bluff about using them. Around the time Trump got his finger on the button I started reading a lot about nuclear weapons and goddamn, Trump or not, learning more about their history and propagation and potential future use (which very much exists) did not reassure me. Australia will probably be fine! Taiwan and Ukraine and anywhere else America isn't prepared to stick its neck out to defend - maybe not so much.

Tasmania and New Zealand will be fine, as they've probably been accidentally left off all the countries official "what to nuke" world maps.

They shall have the last laugh and you know what, good for them.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Its always epic when this thread turns into that 43 year old ex army guy who plays historicals and has strong opinions on land based warfare in 2022

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
China could attack any second!!!! Let's buy tanks and planes, quick!!!

*Ignores last decade of outlandishly successful cyber and social warfare*

Imho - Russia and China have worked out how to fight in this century and it's got gently caress all to do with tanks and nuclear subs. Why fight someone when you can use the internet to age of empires wololololo them onto your side?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why start an actual war, when you can cripple a country because it relies on trade from you?

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Realistically invading Australia requires invading Indonesia and Papua New Guinea for the setup, otherwise you are condemning half of your troops being blown up as they sail to the Timor Sea.

Understandably when people try to justify expanding our army they usually point to Indonesia. Because despite it being of no benefit to them we cannot trust them because they are brown and Muslim, and must fear them desecrating the Great White Continent.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I haven't heard Indonesia invoked as a military threat since the 2000s

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TammyHEH posted:

Its always epic when this thread turns into that 43 year old ex army arma guy who plays historicals and has strong opinions on land based warfare in 2022

:colbert:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

SwissDonkey posted:

A million times, this. All China has is numbers. More people, more tanks, more subs. Whether they're capable of doing gently caress all other than a parade is a completely different story. If they could successfully invade and take the over the tiny island off their shores, they'd have done it decades ago.

I think this is more to do with Taiwan having a strong security guarantor and the international repercussions, rather than an China's actual ability to invade.

I don't know enough about China's capability but I do know they have a huge military and surely they could just throw wave after wave of ablative soldiers at Taiwan and occupy through sheer numbers.

Sending an invasion force to Australia, with massively extended supply lines? Yeah, different story. But as stated, they've been waging cyber and economic war for well over a decade and are doing quite well at it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You're 43?

I think this kind of security theatre is a distraction. Always a distraction, as mentioned China's cyber stuff is much more of an immediate threat and we've got bigger things to worry about than that, like *gestures at everything*

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So one message that keeps doing the rounds with this whole WA/rest of Australia thing is the idea that actually, the east coast is fine, what are we worried about?

Can non-WA goons weigh in on what it's actually like living in what appears to be a post-apocalyptic hellscape to covid-zero (or at least covid-single-digit) WA?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No lockdown has been declared but Victorians have done a home grown lockdown anyway. There's a mass weekly rally of dickheads every saturday, and a smaller gathering of dickheads at the state parliment daily. Still a lot more empty shops and poo poo, and with no govt support this time I'm seeing a lot of the new places that sprung up in cheap spots in the cbd just give up and wander off too. Hardly anyone on the street. People still going nuts on fri/sat nights tho, as far as I can see and hear. We've gone from reporting of daily infection numbers to just death and hospitalization numbers now.

so yeah grim and hosed up. Enjoy it while you can WA dont do what we did (get sick)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you still care about not getting COVID then it sucks because it's loving everywhere so you're making a constant personal risk assessment about everything you do.

If you don't care anymore then it's still sucked over the past few weeks because so many people had it/were close contacts that it caused massive disruption. I don't know a single hospo business that isn't shortstaffed and running at reduced capacity (both here and in the beach town I went to last week). There are supply chain issues again for the same reason. Presumably this will calm down as the Omicron wave recedes, but there'll also presumably be more waves to come down the track.

The only thing people in the eastern states can do that people in WA can't is travel interstate or overseas, but I wouldn't do that anyway - who wants to spend money on booking flights, hotels etc only to have to cancel it all at the last minute because oopsie you picked up COVID at the supermarket the other day.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

So one message that keeps doing the rounds with this whole WA/rest of Australia thing is the idea that actually, the east coast is fine, what are we worried about?

Can non-WA goons weigh in on what it's actually like living in what appears to be a post-apocalyptic hellscape to covid-zero (or at least covid-single-digit) WA?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-22/covid19-omicron-wave-turned-parramatta-into-ghost-town/100772626

Psuedo lockdown, people are staying at home.
Hospitals at breaking point.
Scarcity of some foods.

It's not that great.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 22, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kfc is running out of chicken

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good.

Nasty rear end greasy sugar chicken.

"Seven secret herbs and spices" where it's three different kinds of sugar and four different kinds of salt.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Good.

Nasty rear end greasy sugar chicken.

"Seven secret herbs and spices" where it's three different kinds of sugar and four different kinds of salt.

Actually it’s good

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Synthbuttrange posted:

kfc is running out of chicken

Legitimately interested to see what they do if they actually don't have chicken for a while.

Do they just close? Change the menu -to what?-, Have an existential crisis about the nature of their being?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sell chips and whatever frozen poo poo they have left

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Budzilla posted:

Don't talk Clancy plz. China hasn't been in a major conflict with another state for a long time and that last fight didn't go so well.

it's not clancy talk to suggest that militarily the china of 1979 is not the china of 2022. 43 years is a long time to develop doctrines and equipment, especially when you have the worlds 2nd largest economy to play with.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The point still stands, however, that if the CCP thought they could successfully invade Taiwan, they would have done it by now.

why invade when saber rattling and tough talk will satisfy a domestic audience and put pressure on your rivals to respond? wars are expensive and uncertain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

realbez posted:

Actually it’s good

The zinger stuff is, the original is garbage