Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah when Mafia 3 is on it is on but the majority of the time you're going to spend doing repetitive tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah when Mafia 3 is on it is on but the majority of the time you're going to spend doing repetitive tasks.

Which is such a shame, because they could have kept the structure of the first two games, where the open world was just a backdrop to a linear story.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there's a Mafia 4 it would be best of they just made the story linear, because the branching is fairly pointless in 3, and relegated stuff like Rackets to side-content.

I adore Mafia 3 but man it really takes some Very Sudden Departures from the main plot during the course of the game. Like, here I am recovering from being gunned down, scrambling to establish connections and power that will get me closer to the crime boss who's responsible for this -- but along the way I'm going to investigate a cult and stop the Russians from destroying the planet.

Mafia 4 should take place in the future.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Maybe in 70's Boston, and you take down a network of Catholic Priests like the Templars in Assassins Creed.

credburn posted:

I adore Mafia 3 but man it really takes some Very Sudden Departures from the main plot during the course of the game. Like, here I am recovering from being gunned down, scrambling to establish connections and power that will get me closer to the crime boss who's responsible for this -- but along the way I'm going to investigate a cult and stop the Russians from destroying the planet.

Nowadays the game is bundled with the DLC, and its not terribly obvious that those missions are DLC, except there's no grinding and they have nothing to do with the mafia.

Worse would be a game whose DLC destroys the balance and you cant turn it off, like Dead Space 2,

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jan 20, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Odyssey and the AC2 trilogy are probably the best of the series, at least from what I've played of the others (which admittedly isn't much) and what I've read online

Honestly though Odyssey has basically been a life commitment for me at this point. I think I'm at like 100 hours and still not done with the plot because there's just a never ending amount of content. I can't imagine needing to get Valhalla at this point. Maybe once I beat Odyssey someday and then like.. am able to pick up valhalla super cheap on sale a few years from now?

I was surprised how the end of the AC Odyssey plot snuck up on me, I expected to have a couple more chapters and then all of a sudden it was wrapping up. I was doing some but not all of the side quests and all of the cultists and there were still a bunch of areas I had never visited when I "finished" the game. So if you do want to get through the rest of the plot ASAP, I bet you might be closer to the end than you think.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hel posted:

Both the godfather games were way too good for being EA made movie licence games.

Its really morbid but I'll never forget how the second one made you feel the life leaving people when you choked them.
Basically you grabbed someone by pressing R2 and L2 on the controller and then you choked them by pressing in the sticks, putting the controller in a simulated chokehold. As you did that the vibration came in a heartbeat pulse, which grew fainter as their hp went down.

I'm honestly surprised no one has made anything similar with the ps5 controller and its high definition vibration and resistive triggers.

I like when games do this, especially if it's impactful to the plot. Like that one moment after the last boss of Metal Gear 3 that made it one of my most unforgettable moments in a game. It's not as tactile as what you're talking about, but it was still immersive and intensely emotional

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Caufman posted:

I remember almost nothing about playing Godfather 2 except thinking it was many steps down from the first game. What were the cool systems it could have expanded on?

I didn't play the first Godfather, but 2 had three cities each with a few rival gangs and businesses to take over. Plus you could make your own guy, and recruit a small crew, each wiseguy you hired had his own specialty. Safecracking, arson, medic, explosives. poo poo like that. So you could access certain actions when assaulting places, like cracking a safe for dosh, or burning down a business to extort it.

Unfortunately the game was incredibly short and easy. I platinumed it in eight or so hours, the fights are a joke, the ai nonexistent, the upgrades meaningless because it's so easy, and all the cities are tiny and lifeless.

If they had taken the best of that game, and the empire building of vice city stories, and some of the stuff from Scarface you could've made a truly excellent gtalike

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've started playing the new rouge-lite action RPG Nobody Saves the World. You play as a character that can shapeshift into different forms with different abilities like Knight, Ranger or Horse. What's fun is that early on you get the ability to start mixing and matching abilities so you can do stuff like have a Horse shoot a bow and arrow.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
AC Odyssey's greatest service to gaming was giving you the SPARTA! kick and a zillion high ledges to boot people off, and that makes up for just about any amount of boring email poo poo. I'm a couple of dozen hours in and it still makes me irl cackle every single time - doubly so once you've shrugged off fall damage so you can immediately pile off the cliff after them just to flex.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Also the dlc where you can time your fights with various gods to end with a finisher kick in the dick :black101:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Kassandra is legit one of the most fun and awesome protagonists in recent gaming

Caufman
May 7, 2007
For the people who like the real-world parts of the AC series (and I do kinda like it... kinda....), do you read all the emails and documents? And if so, all at once or do you go in and out of the animus to read them in pieces?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kirby Triple Deluxe has objects you interact with by tilting the Nintendo 3DS.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Maybe in 70's Boston, and you take down a network of Catholic Priests like the Templars in Assassins Creed.

Nowadays the game is bundled with the DLC, and its not terribly obvious that those missions are DLC, except there's no grinding and they have nothing to do with the mafia.

Worse would be a game whose DLC destroys the balance and you cant turn it off, like Dead Space 2,

Ooohh haha wow this makes a lot more sense when I think of it as DLC. Yeah, the Definitive Edition just comes with it all and it wasn't obvious to me it wasn't part of the main story.

Besides the sudden irrelevance of what I'm murdering, I'm really impressed by the presentation of the DLC. I guess this sort of thing is expected now, and probably the DLC was being worked on immediately after or even concurrent with development of the game itself, but I remember in the old days expansions would be good or bad but they'd never feel consistent. Like, the audio quality would be notably different, some actors might have been replaced, or maybe entirely lacking in cutscenes because there was no budget for it. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying... uh, well done, Mafia 3, again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Witcher 3 is real fun so far. Revisiting Vizima has been nostalgic. You get to visit the castle under the rule of one king near the end of Witcher 1, and early on in Witcher 3 under new rule but the layout of the palace is identical... but hoo boy, it's so much nicer. I've been playing the games back to back to back, so the original W1 version is still fresh in mind.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is the Witcher series the only good book -> video game adaptation?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Metro 2033

I have no mouth and I must scream

Parasite Eve and the Megaten franchise are both technically book adaptions

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dynasty Warriors

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, in Witcher 2 I got drunk, played darts, arm wrestled, and got more drunk with a bunch of allied soldiers until I blacked out. Geralt woke up naked next to the river and had to backtrack what he'd done to get his clothes and equipment back. it also turned out that he got a really bad tattoo of a naked woman waving a sword on his neck. You can it removed but it's an optional quest--I thought it was funny, so I left it.

I had forgotten all about it until I imported my save into the Witcher 3 and Geralt STILL had the tattoo. drat amazing attention to detail.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does Castlevania count or does it take too many liberties from the source material to be included?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shadow of Mordor. Enslaved, technically

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok was originally a comic book. That count?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to buying Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as I found it cheap and I'd been meaning to, and it's pretty fun so far.

I like how the quick time events aren't just "You screw up and you die, or the other character gets health back" it's more that the other character recovers from what you are doing and counters and it becomes a huge back and forth til you finally kill them. You're both gripping and throwing each other, then saving yourselves, slamming each other into walls until one of you finally just loses concentration enough to get finished off. It's very satisfying. I also enjoy that it's not overly easy, I died a few times on the first level because enemies can swarm you pretty badly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Caufman posted:

For the people who like the real-world parts of the AC series (and I do kinda like it... kinda....), do you read all the emails and documents? And if so, all at once or do you go in and out of the animus to read them in pieces?

I usually do it when the game kicks me out of the Animus on its own.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Control borrows heavily from Jeff VanderMeer (Annihilation) but is not technically an adaptation

Alan Wake is a decent adaptation of Departure

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RareAcumen posted:

Does Castlevania count or does it take too many liberties from the source material to be included?

It’s pretty much exactly what Bram Stoker wrote so it counts

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I looked up "games based on books" and stupidly clicked on something that was like, "six games you never knew were based on books!" one of which was The Witcher and the rest not actually based on books.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

credburn posted:

I looked up "games based on books" and stupidly clicked on something that was like, "six games you never knew were based on books!" one of which was The Witcher and the rest not actually based on books.

I'm positive online media will do these "x that you didn't know about!" intentionally throw in a big name item that everyone would know about specifically to pull in clicks from someone who was just searching up that big name thing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

I'm positive online media will do these "x that you didn't know about!" intentionally throw in a big name item that everyone would know about specifically to pull in clicks from someone who was just searching up that big name thing.

It also a way to stroke the ego of the audience, because it guarantees they know at least one of them so they can feel smart.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Leal posted:

You can't click on the News tab for any piece of entertainment media without seeing a dozen machine-written articles designed to maximize SEO. "20 Things Elder Scrolls VI Can Learn From Game of Thrones." No human being has touched any of these pages, it's all ads and clickbait.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Im going to disagree a bit on the love for Assassins Creed Odessey. I did enjoy it, but the story of it felt very disconnected and weird. So much of it felt like padding and the way that the cult "worked" was so silly. It is the only modern AC game I've ever played though so that might be it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Josef bugman posted:

Im going to disagree a bit on the love for Assassins Creed Odessey. I did enjoy it, but the story of it felt very disconnected and weird. So much of it felt like padding and the way that the cult "worked" was so silly. It is the only modern AC game I've ever played though so that might be it.

For me AC Odyssey is a game that's very much more than the sum of its parts. You can point to a lot of obvious weaknesses in the story and gameplay systems but a lot of those complaints are carried by the strength of a generationally charismatic lead. It's also a brilliant case study of how you can ostensibly give two actors the exact same script and wind up with an entirely different performance. Presumably there are people who prefer Alexios, but all those people are wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout 4 is also that way. Many folks recommend you go with Dad Fallout instead of Mom Fallout because his voice actor seems to have 'got' the tone of the overall material a lot better.

Edit: Mom Fallout has her superior moments though like mimicking the sentry mr handy till it goes berserk and blows up.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Jan 21, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

Fallout 4 is also that way. Many folks recommend you go with Dad Fallout instead of Mom Fallout because his voice actor seems to have 'got' the tone of the overall material a lot better.

Edit: Mom Fallout has her superior moments though like mimicking the sentry mr handy till it goes berserk and blows up.

There are parts of the game that seem written for the guy as well since he used to be a soldier rather than a lawyer that for some reason is trained with power armour and stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hel posted:

There are parts of the game that seem written for the guy as well since he used to be a soldier rather than a lawyer that for some reason is trained with power armour and stuff.

Which is weird cause there is actually dialogue for Mom talking about how she was a soldier. Beth just suddenly decided nah, she's a lawyer now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will say that both parents have a grand ol' time with the Silver Shroud at least. I am glad the VAs were told exactly how lame your character looks walking around like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQQGd43Lqxk&t=516s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMUVRUYrSQ&t=28s

(timestamped for a quick comparison)

edit: I think the main difference is Dad Fallout pulled a Nolan North, in a way, it seems. He gave the character a bit of his own personality, one interview with the guy will reveal his manner of speech is just like the character which honestly I always love to see. Mom Fallout, Courtenay Taylor, gave it a much more straightforward performance. In that way if you're looking for a more grounded story Mom Fallout will help the game feel a bit less ridiculous!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Is the Witcher series the only good book -> video game adaptation?

Discworld Noir. Spec Ops: The Line is heavily inspired by Heart of Darkness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Josef bugman posted:

It's about two and a half hours of really good RPG crammed into a 65 hour game.

And the First Blade DLC convinced me to never buy another AC game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

Discworld Noir. Spec Ops: The Line is heavily inspired by Heart of Darkness.

I read that as Discworld Noir: Spec Ops The Line and was very confused for a moment