Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I remember seeing an interview with Jackie Chan where his thought process right before doing this stunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9DCOMcfjX8

Was "there's a pretty good chance I'm about to die but if I don't it'll be cool as hell"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

For some reason a quote Jackie chan made when promoting Who Am I stuck in my head which went like this

quote:

I play a cooker in the movie. At one point, I fell from a tree and passed away for a couple hours.

My friend who used to make me watch all the terrible new chan movies have moved away and I have been for better or for worse spared from his latest stuff, although Vanguard (plot involves him being the M of a Chinese spy outfit) involves a scene where a beautiful wildlife photographer summons a cg lion to eat poachers, and a guy wearing drones as footwear to fly around sniping people in a middle Eastern castle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does Jackie make anything that isn’t CCP approved anymore

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nah everything chan does now is p much ccp propaganda in some way

My fav was Kung fu yoga having a short speech about how the one belt one road initiative by premier xi helps India and China and all their neighboring countries

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Alan Smithee posted:

Does Jackie make anything that isn’t CCP approved anymore

Nope. His second foray into Hollywood pretty much failed since no insurance company would back him and Hollywood producers don’t know what makes a good Jackie Chan movie. He pretty much has to shill the CCP line because 1) they’re the only place that’ll back him now since HK’s film industry is gone for the most part, and 2) the CCP has a shitload of dirt on Jackie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked The Foreigner a lot but didn’t make it halfway through Bleeding Steel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
What kind of dirt do they have on him?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Even without CCP stuff, he abandoned his illegitimate child years ago and his child with his wife (Jaycee Chan) was arrested for marijuana possession, which put the kid in jail for months and killed his career. Jackie Chan gets drunk and interrupts concerts, bangs prostitutes, and beat Jaycee. IIRC the CCP seized on of Jackie's houses because of factional infighting and used unpaid taxes as an excuse (something to do with Chan not being on team Xi Jinping but friends with some other rival bigwig)

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked The Foreigner a lot but didn’t make it halfway through Bleeding Steel.

Bleeding Steel is just insane and I love it, but if you want to watch a normal film it is not that

The Foreigner might be his last good movie

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

What kind of dirt do they have on him?

A quick look at his Wikipedia shows he was named in the panama papers. Guessing it's something related to that.

Also reading his and Jaycee's pages does not leave a flattering impression of him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest that propoganda rules and is much better than the US propoganda which is just the military is really cool!

Make post office propaganda you cowards

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Most of you guys have largely mentioned the big stuff: tax evasion, DV, affairs, etc. At least from what I've seen in Chinese and HK tabloids from long ago, there was talk of even more illegitimate children, bribery, and possibly cover-ups of accidentally getting people killed on set (I mean, his sets are pretty dangerous)/unsafe working conditions.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Disney wants that Cats money!

"Live-action" Aristocats

quote:

Disney doesn’t look to be slowing down any time soon when it comes to adapting classic animated pics into live-action features. Sources tell Deadline that an adaptation of The Aristocats is in early development with the studio’s live-action team. Will Gluck and Keith Bunin will pen the script, with Gluck producing through his Olive Bridge Entertainment banner.

The film is based on the 1970 animated pic, which followed a family of Parisian felines who learn they are set to inherit a fortune from their owner. When the owner’s jealous butler kidnaps them and leaves them in the country, they must team up with a smooth-talking tomcat to try to make it back home before it’s too late.

Since it’s very early in development, not much more is known about the new film, including whether it would be for theatrical or streaming. Sources did add that even though its main characters are animals, it would have a similar look to the Lady in the Tramp pic that bowed on Disney+ in 2019.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/live-action-aristocats-pic-disney-1234916566/

Full CG? Animals with moving mouths? Will there be racist cat caricatures? It is all a mystery, all I know is everybody wants to be a cat...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Disney wants that Cats money!

"Live-action" Aristocats

https://deadline.com/2022/01/live-action-aristocats-pic-disney-1234916566/

Full CG? Animals with moving mouths? Will there be racist cat caricatures? It is all a mystery, all I know is everybody wants to be a cat...
Misread that as Aristocrats at first and now I'm thinking of Bob Saget talking about a family doing unspeakable things to each other

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't think of the Aristocats without remembering this memo:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rageaholic posted:

Misread that as Aristocrats at first and now I'm thinking of Bob Saget talking about a family doing unspeakable things to each other

That happened, it was called How I Met Your Mother.

(yes, I got the joke)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rageaholic posted:

One of the greatest unintentional comedy moments I have ever seen comes from a talkshow host interviewing an author couple at their home (they write under the pseudonym Nicci French). One of the authors at one point talked about watching The Aristocrats and how they felt awkward and a bit guilty laughing about it. The talkshow host (who is always rather pompous) mentioned "ah-hah, I have a nephew who has seen it several times!". At which point the show cut in some footage from the Disney's The Aristocats.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

a lot be hatin on this but I think the controversy alone is worth it

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1484328833478135808

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't think of the Aristocats without remembering this memo:

The Boy Who Would be King is a good title.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PeterCat posted:

The Boy Who Would be King is a good title.

The Girl Who Seemed to Die is a great one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Aristocats is one of my favorite Disney movies why they gotta mess with it

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

precision posted:

Aristocats is one of my favorite Disney movies why they gotta mess with it

Because it is a "brand" and all brands must be monetized to the utmost or Capitalism gets sad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest that propoganda rules and is much better than the US propoganda which is just the military is really cool!

Make post office propaganda you cowards

The US government wants to kill the post office so it can sell off all its office space and help rich people set up its privatized replacement. The post office doesn’t need propaganda though, because it’s a good service that helps people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1484303615665655810?s=20

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1484636518018867208?s=20

eh ive got A List and AMC has coke remix machines. Why the gently caress not

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow, I don't think I had even seen the trailer for this until just now. It sounds real b--

quote:

That Bingbing’s facial features have been digitally Westernized is a whole other conversation.
:yikes:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh boy I hadn't even gotten to that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Someone please post screenshots :stare:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nvm edit: Wrong actress

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 24, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I found this, she's playing a mocapped mermaid.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

To say they've had 8 years to work on it, the CGI all throughout is complete trash too. Absolutely terrible film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's not like they've had artists toiling away every day for 8 years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

so this is unrelated to that other bizarre mermaid movie that's been in the can for ten years? why are these movies always about mermaids?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And only one film about a merman

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so this is unrelated to that other bizarre mermaid movie that's been in the can for ten years? why are these movies always about mermaids?

Splash was formative for a lot of people

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I say bring on the mermaid movies, gently caress it, we live in a post-Aquaman world, we know they CAN be entertaining if done well. And if done poorly, at least all the shooting involving water will make for hilarious Waterworld-level flops.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

And only one film about a merman

No, they did make a Zoolander 2 (unfortunately)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

After twilight there was this idea that mermaids/selkies were the next big thing. I guess these are the dregs of that fad.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

At least one selkie film was made for Lifetime too a few years ago

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There was this quite beautiful and lovely Irish selkies movie which was Oscar-nominated in 2014

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1865505/

Also if course some great songs about selkies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITc2qlJT5tE

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like something needs to be said about Roland Emmerich ripping off a transformers movie, but really what is there to say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that other bizarre mermaid movie that's been in the can for ten years

quote:

Jon Jiang had also described to Jonathan Lawrence his vision for the film as "Transformers meets Shakespeare"; in response Lawrence replied that the film would likely "alienate one of those audiences".

lmao