Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I recently switched from 1 longer nap to 2 shorter naps; I usually try to get the first one in around 10 am and the 2nd one in just before I get the kids from school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Holy poo poo, my 2 month old has been sleeping for 8 hr+ the last four nights. This feels loving amazing. It's just unfortunate that my own sleep has been out of whack so I've only been getting 6-ish hours each night, but that's on me.

I just hope that the 4 month regression doesn't undo too much of this.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Cool.

Threat of snow later today.

Day care closed.

Yeehaw living in the south.

Realistically we're supposed to get around 2.5", which is significant for down here, and there was some rain last night that froze (kind of). Brine on the roads is about the best we can do, and rain renders that fairly useless... a handful of plows that take ages to clear even the main roads, let alone side streets.

Forecast originally said it was supposed to snow all day, but looks like it won't arrive until late afternoon/early evening, possibly later... so a whole snow day where the kiddos might not even get to see snow. Forecast also originally said 7" or more, so thankfully it's shifted...

Should be still on the ground tomorrow morning, at least. It'll be hardened and not fun to play in, but they won't care. Won't get the novelty of catching snowflakes on their tongue, but they'll get some fun out of it I suppose.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Do you also live in Raleigh? My older one is still tracked out but the toddler being out of daycare for snow that's not hitting until after work hours is super annoying.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
#1 transitioned from a pack and play to a toddler bed at 2. #2 went pack and play to crib at like 1 1/2. #3 went from the crib to the toddler bed at 2, I want to say. #4 was around 1 1/2 when he transitioned from the pack and play to the bottom bunk. None of them were ever really get-up-and-gently caress-around types for long, maybe a few days of transition. To this day though, at almost 7 years old, #3 will not get up without permission save to use the bathroom.

I wish #1, #2, and #4 were like that. #2 is usually up and running around 4:30-5:00, like he never quite got off of summer time. And he's still distressed 2 1/2 months later about the DST switch and wants to go back to "real time" :sigh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

D34THROW posted:

. And he's still distressed 2 1/2 months later about the DST switch and wants to go back to "real time" :sigh:

I can relate to your kid on this one

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What the gently caress, they actually test people for other things than Covid where you're at?

It’s a new single PCR test for Influenza A and B, COVID, and RSV. This is at a rural (but good) clinic so I’m surprised it isn’t more widely used.

Sorry to hear about the HFM!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

King Hong Kong posted:

It’s a new single PCR test for Influenza A and B, COVID, and RSV. This is at a rural (but good) clinic so I’m surprised it isn’t more widely used.

I think my pediatrician's office has the same thing, the nurse practitioner we saw last time when the baby was sick said something about that. A single test for flu and covid but the swab is one of the brain tickling ones.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

Can't wait for these to get distributed to schools and daycare centers where they can just test sick looking kids on arrival and just reject them

Did one of those rapid tests the other day and was really impressed with how easy it was

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

Can't wait for these to get distributed to schools and daycare centers where they can just test sick looking kids on arrival and just reject them

Did one of those rapid tests the other day and was really impressed with how easy it was

The combo is PCR so it has to be sent off... don't think there's a rapid IIRC. Usually there's rapid flu, and obviously rapid covid, but I don't know if there's a rapid RSV.

Back when our youngest got RSV, we had to wait for PCR results on the combo test.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Someone ITT was asking for activities to do with toddlers who are stuck at home because painting and art has been overused.

I’ve been rotating in Science!

Some science experiments that have worked well with my 2.5 year old:

1) dying water. Drop food coloring in water and watch it mix. Talk about how it spreads vs. how it looks like the water is moving. Mix different colors.
2) Floating stuff: stick paperclips to the surface. Make paper boats. Try little rocks, ice cubes, toys. Add soap, make paperclips sink and paper fish “swim”.
3) vinegar and baking soda
4) oil and water: what mixes, what doesn’t. Add soap. Add alcohol. Vinegar, etc. buying some cheapo test tubes and a rack helps.
5) borax and glue. Classic!
6) Blankets falling: span a blanket between two chairs. Put toys on the blanket until the weight of the toys makes it all fall down. Try different blankets / toys / etc to see you can make it hold more or less toys.

I find my kiddo gets pretty tuckered out with learning activities like this. Hope these help with winter days!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
You can expand on dyeing water by dyeing milk with food coloring then adding a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension. The colors will instantly spread out and it's super cool.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

3 year old has started asking “why” about everything…

This managed to get old after a day.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
Low effort sensory bins - dump a container of dried beans or rice in a large bowl and throw some plastic animals and cups in there and they can go to town burying and rescuing the animals and pouring the beans or rice from cup to cup.
Oobleck - corn flour with a small amount of water to make a non newtonian liquid. Put in a low wide tub and play with +/- plastic toys. Can also dye it with food dye.
We have also had days where we got good mileage out of playing in the bath with food dye and shaving cream

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I've looked at the various posts on here re: bedwetting and wanted to ask a few things because we're going nuts with it.

My daughter is 5 1/2 and was up till a month ago wearing diapers to bed. She has become self-conscious about this ever since one of her friends came for a sleepover and was surprised that she was still in diapers at night. So she asked to stop wearing them.

We switched to night time undies and try a few things as part of our night time routine:
- no fluids after 6 (she goes to bed at 7)
- wake her up at around 10 to get her to pee before we go to bed
- remind her to wake up if she needs to pee

This has had limited success. 1 out of every 4 times when we wake her up at 10, she throws a tantrum from being woken up and refuses to try and go pee, often just standing in her room angry. This ends up becoming an hour long ordeal before she eventually gives in and pees.

And then on most nights, even when she does pee at 10, she still ends up wetting the bed during the night, so we end up changing her out of her pyjamas and changing the bed liner. She sleeps extremely deeply and has never woken up before wetting the bed. Most nights when she does wake us up because she's wet, the pee is cold so it had been a while already.

I know 5 years isn't close to the upper end of when we should be concerned, but it is exhausting and she wants to be past this phase so we are really looking for how to improve this.

2 questions:
(1) I have read differing opinions on whether we should wake her up before we go to bed. I suppose it does help get some pee out of her, but it doesn't seem to help with her learning how to wake up on her own. And it is clearly disruptive to her sleep. And the 25% chance of it going to a tantrum has been too much stress to deal with. Should we keep doing this?
(2) I keep reading that the moisture wake up alarm is worth a shot. Has anyone had luck with this actually working?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
10th day of toddler at home with an ear infection and my wife and I are both losing our minds. Asks for a food and then cries that he doesn’t want it once it’s cooked. Wants to go to the park, then cries to go home when we get three blocks away, then again to go to the park when we get back to our front door. I know he can’t help it and doesn’t understand why we’re frustrated but it’s hard not to feel like we’re being trolled on purpose.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Woke up this Sunday morning to find 15 month old on the floor of her nursery, crying by the door

Also earlier this week she opened the entry hall closet, which uses the same door handle as every other door in the house

Also also her daycare is closed due to someone testing positive for covid

Busy week here

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Kwagga posted:

2 questions:
(1) I have read differing opinions on whether we should wake her up before we go to bed. I suppose it does help get some pee out of her, but it doesn't seem to help with her learning how to wake up on her own. And it is clearly disruptive to her sleep. And the 25% chance of it going to a tantrum has been too much stress to deal with. Should we keep doing this?
(2) I keep reading that the moisture wake up alarm is worth a shot. Has anyone had luck with this actually working?

I'm coming from a much older extreme (my kid is in his teens). We tried the alarm, with some limited success. But if you're facing a tantrum about waking to pee now she's not ready. I wouldn't use the alarm with a child under the age of 7 or 8.

'Lifting' or waking them up on a set schedule can have limited success in terms of keeping the bed dry, but it doesn't really teach your child how not to wet the bed.

If I were you, I'd keep limiting fluids after a certain point and find some underwear-like pull-ups. Encourage peeing before bed, and keep an eye on her to see if she's constipated. Constipation's connection with bed wetting isn't settled science, but some of Steve Hodges' work is compelling. Once I focused more on getting my child to poop regularly, he started having occasional dry nights.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

How long would you wait to come out of isolation if you had COVID but are feeling normal again and are taking care of toddlers?

My twins are driving me bonkers and I could really use my wife’s help. However she is in Day 5 of isolation after getting COVID. As mentioned she says she feels 100%. We were originally going to do 10 days of isolation, but I really don’t know if I can keep my sanity another 5 days on my own taking care of two 2 year olds.

Would it be reasonable for her to come out of isolation to help if she wears an N95 around us at all times? What would you do in my situation? I’m barely hanging on here.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 24, 2022

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mind_Taker posted:

How long would you wait to come out of isolation if you had COVID but are feeling normal again and are taking care of toddlers?

My twins are driving me bonkers and I could really use my wife’s help. However she is in Day 5 of isolation after getting COVID. As mentioned she says she feels 100%. We were originally going to do 10 days of isolation, but I really don’t know if I can keep my sanity another 5 days on my own taking care of two 2 year olds.

Would it be reasonable for her to come out of isolation to help if she wears an N95 around us at all times? What would you do in my situation? I’m barely hanging on here.

When we had covid we waited til we had negative tests, which was ~17 days. The longer the better. in my opinion 5-10 more days of insanity is better than dealing with sick kids for 2 weeks, and then possible long covid symptoms for an indefinite period of time.

When I had covid I got unlucky and ended up in the hospital, and spent the next ~8 months basically being completely useless as a parent due to lingering covid bullshit and I would not risk catching covid just to be less miserable for a week because if you do get sick it is very likely to be more than the week of bullshit you're trying to get out of.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The CDC did change their advice for asymptomatic quarantine from 10 to 5 days a couple months ago but there are many scientists who say it was just to keep airlines and hospitals from running out of employees rather than any real change in the course of the infection.

If you are able to get a hold of one of the antigen tests these apparently tell you if you are actively shedding virus so would be useful in your situation to know if your wife is contagious or not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

If you had covid per CDC website isolate 10 days from first positive test, then test on the 10th day and test periodically in isolation until you test negative

MOST people aren't contagious 7-10 days after symptom onset but like (guessing now) 10% are still contagious after 10 days, especially for unvaccinated people

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

When we had covid we waited til we had negative tests, which was ~17 days. The longer the better. in my opinion 5-10 more days of insanity is better than dealing with sick kids for 2 weeks, and then possible long covid symptoms for an indefinite period of time.

When I had covid I got unlucky and ended up in the hospital, and spent the next ~8 months basically being completely useless as a parent due to lingering covid bullshit and I would not risk catching covid just to be less miserable for a week because if you do get sick it is very likely to be more than the week of bullshit you're trying to get out of.

Thank you for this post. I think this is what I needed to hear and we’ll stick with our 10 days and then test. You’re right, 5 more days of annoyance is far preferable than a potential worse alternative.

I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal with COVID, that sounds awful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mind_Taker posted:

Thank you for this post. I think this is what I needed to hear and we’ll stick with our 10 days and then test. You’re right, 5 more days of annoyance is far preferable than a potential worse alternative.

I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal with COVID, that sounds awful.

Thanks for being smart. I mean it. So many people are like "I don't feel crappy anymore, time to go out for every meal because I deserve it and I'm bored and I DGAF about anyone else"

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

We've been working with our youngest daughter to go potty independently. Today, she stood up, and said she was going to go pee, went to the bathroom, and didn't scream for some help... And then she starts laughing/screaming, then bawling. She had forgotten to pull down her underwear, and peed through them (which she thought was hilarious!), BUT THEN she dropped her favorite Lego person into the pee water. :doh:

Also, my wife had a likely false positive at home covid test last week... We've had multiple other tests with the whole family, including the same day as her positive test and everything is negative. Our oldest's school said they'll accept the negative PCR, and she can go back tomorrow, but our twins' daycare is having us out for 15 days. I understand the caution, and I'll never fault them for it, I'm just so annoyed at the probable false positive. :cripes:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

killer crane posted:

but our twins' daycare is having us out for 15 days. I understand the caution, and I'll never fault them for it, I'm just so annoyed at the probable false positive. :cripes:

15 days uh seems a little above and beyond, I’d actually be a little ticked about that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I live in a pretty liberal area and our guidelines are 10 days, 15 is above and beyond even what new Zealand is requiring

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

5 days here :britain: as long as you have negative lateral flow tests on day 5 and again on the morning of day 6.

yes we do have the most deaths in europe why do you ask

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kecske posted:

5 days here :britain: as long as you have negative lateral flow tests on day 5 and again on the morning of day 6.

yes we do have the most deaths in europe why do you ask

:coronatoot:

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I live in a pretty liberal area and our guidelines are 10 days, 15 is above and beyond even what new Zealand is requiring

Old guidelines worked this way. If a parent was positive, kid had to be out for the full 10 days of parent’s isolation period and then 14 days after for their own quarantine. Rationale was that in theory, kid could have contracted it on the last day of parents isolation. Clock restarted if another household member popped positive. Guessing they arrived at 15 days based on calculation of infectious period from test results. I know this because I was a school district nurse in the Bay Area and had the pleasure of doing those calculations and telling parents this was the CDC/CDPH rule. That job was just day after day of parents screaming at me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Great. We all went in for testing this morning because my wife's been having cold-like symptoms for a couple days and our son didn't sound great overnight. Wife popped on the rapid test, the rest of us are negative. We'll get the PCR results tomorrow. What's the current consensus on a positive rapid result with a negative PCR result? Really not looking forward to two weeks of being the kids' sole caretaker...

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

hooah posted:

Great. We all went in for testing this morning because my wife's been having cold-like symptoms for a couple days and our son didn't sound great overnight. Wife popped on the rapid test, the rest of us are negative. We'll get the PCR results tomorrow. What's the current consensus on a positive rapid result with a negative PCR result? Really not looking forward to two weeks of being the kids' sole caretaker...

If the rapid test popped positive, I would not expect the PCR to come back negative.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sheri posted:

If the rapid test popped positive, I would not expect the PCR to come back negative.

Yeah, me neither. But I want to be prepared for that rare outcome.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

hooah posted:

Yeah, me neither. But I want to be prepared for that rare outcome.

IIRC rapid tests have a higher false positive rate.

But symptomatic + positive rapid is very likely COVID.

PCR is more accurate than rapid. If the PCR comes back negative somehow, then I would trust that over a rapid, but personally I would like to confirm with another rapid or another PCR. In any case, anything presenting with covid-like symptoms is not something you want to spread around because you'll cause other people the same heartache and confusion that you're experiencing.

Hey here's a relatively recent NPR write-up about it:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/01/06/1070096493/covid-test-guide posted:

Are there ever false positives?

False positives are rare on PCR tests and usually happen because of contaminated samples, research has found.

A false positive on an antigen test is possible but fairly unlikely if the test is taken correctly, says Butler-Wu, especially if you develop symptoms and you know you've been exposed to someone with COVID-19. And a lot of people are being exposed at this current time of great spread to the omicron and delta variants.

If "there's a bunch of COVID and I'm symptomatic, it's probably a true positive," Butler-Wu says.

If you think you have a false positive from a home test, you can get a confirmatory PCR test if you can find one.

"If your PCR is negative, then it's possible that your rapid was a false positive," Karan says. "If you're able to do that, great."

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's pretty much what I figured. Sucks, but we'll do the right thing. I'll... probably make it through.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Random, but my daughter had her 1 year vaccinations exactly 12 days ago, and at 11 days, a localized rash broke out near one of the injection sites. We thought it was a bug bite, but the pediatrician said it was likely a delayed reaction to either chickenpox or mmr. I would’ve thought there would be a more immediate reaction, but as the whole world is learning, immune systems are weird things:

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'm coming from a much older extreme (my kid is in his teens). We tried the alarm, with some limited success. But if you're facing a tantrum about waking to pee now she's not ready. I wouldn't use the alarm with a child under the age of 7 or 8.

'Lifting' or waking them up on a set schedule can have limited success in terms of keeping the bed dry, but it doesn't really teach your child how not to wet the bed.

If I were you, I'd keep limiting fluids after a certain point and find some underwear-like pull-ups. Encourage peeing before bed, and keep an eye on her to see if she's constipated. Constipation's connection with bed wetting isn't settled science, but some of Steve Hodges' work is compelling. Once I focused more on getting my child to poop regularly, he started having occasional dry nights.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We do limit fluids and have her using night time undies, which absorb more than a regular diaper, but still leave the bed wet. She pees before bed too. I'll talk to my wife about the constipation but I think my daughter does a good 2-3 poops a day as it is so I don't imagine that's the problem.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My 13 month old baby usually eats like a horse but either his teeth or development are really pissing him off. He takes 3 bites and then starts throwing everything as fast as he can.

Sometimes spoon/feeding him works but lately he really wants to use the spoon himself. Getting out a 2nd spoon doesn’t go well. Sometimes he will pick it up with his hands but usually the spoon is too much fun and he would take 2 hours at that rate.

So tonight the solution was to give him the spoon after a 4/5 star tantrum. While he tries to use that to scoop rice (he doesn’t know how to scoop rice) I hand feed him. He ate his entire plate that way and both of us were covered in rice and sauce.

Hoping he learns to use the spoon or becomes less defensive about it soon.

He also really likes rye bread right now which seems strange for a baby to enjoy. Its too strong of a flavor for me to eat on its own usually but he just chows down.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

space uncle posted:

He also really likes rye bread right now which seems strange for a baby to enjoy. Its too strong of a flavor for me to eat on its own usually but he just chows down.

My kid ate straight mustard last night.

Kids are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

My kid ate straight mustard last night.

Kids are weird.

Our almost 11 month old twins eat stuff we never expected.

Yesterday they have quesadillas with a queso that had a little heat. But today, they screamed at my partner to have gochujang and gochugaru seasoned tofu. Plus they absolutely loved the carrots in a ginger miso sauce