Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The only way to "prepare" would, I guess, to bring some hi-cordials and maybe look at a guide for your upcoming route? But like, there's a vendor on the boat that sells all three ocean fishing bait, there's almost always someone who calls what bait to use before and during a spectral current, etc. The only time you really need to prepare/optimize is if you're trying to go for high-scoring runs, and that's down to luck as much as anything else with fishing is.

Getting the shark mount really just comes down to knowing what fish on your current route are the biggest point-getters and using Double/Triple Hook on those. I used Zeke's ocean fishing guide when I was trying to get my shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

wow i cant read

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

First things first - make sure your gear is up to date.

For dungeon pulls, I pop bloodwhetting right after I get the big pack together. Right after that I'll pop arm's length. The combo of the slow from arm's length plus the self heal and shield from bloodwhetting will keep you really from dropping from near max hp. After the second big self heal I'll pop rampart. As my HP hits around 50% (which is now around 7-8 seconds left on the bloodwhetting cooldown) I'll pop equilibrium and thrill of the battle. Those will heal me to near max, and the HoT from equilibrium is enough to basically carry me over until bloodwhetting is off of cooldown. If you have good dps with you, the pack is already dead and you save bloodwhetting for the next pull. On pull 2, I'll usually start with vengeance up front (since arm's length is on cooldown) and toss on a rampart if things are spicy. In either case, if I'm worried at all and don't have a healing button ready, I'll pop shake it off which gives you a 15% hp shield that is boosted even more if you have thrill up.

You've got a pretty robust toolkit on warrior.

I feel like an outrageous moron for not realizing I should use Arm's Length as a mitigation cooldown :doh:

How long has that Slow effect been on there? I swear to god if you say since before Stormblood I'm going to be extra mad, I tanked so much in late Heavensward and early Stormblood.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I just buy materia with purps. Crafted gear is better and that aethersand price is robbery.

Aethersand prices make me cry bitter, salty tears at gil I invested into them pre-patch, hoping foolishly that prices would go up. Instead 95% of the price of crafted gear is just from the mats you have to spend tomestones to get, and aethersands are nearly worthless :sigh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Magres posted:

How long has that Slow effect been on there? I swear to god if you say since before Stormblood I'm going to be extra mad, I tanked so much in late Heavensward and early Stormblood.

Shadowbringers, I believe

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

arms length does slow what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

arm's length is very good for trash pulls ya

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I also forgot to mention reprisal is aoe now and is a great pack cooldown, too.

Arm’s length has had the slow since shadowbringers, iirc.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Harrow posted:

I do think the next tank job should use a shield of some kind. I was thinking "giant tower shield plus a lance or hammer/flail" or something like that, but "the shield is a gunshield and is your main weapon" would be pretty sick, too.

Completely off topic but I just watched an anime called Bofuri on Hulu earlier this month and tl;dr it's about a virtual reality MMORPG where one of the classes specifically is based on a heavy shield (with a short knife as a backup weapon). So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Completely off topic but I just watched an anime called Bofuri on Hulu earlier this month and tl;dr it's about a virtual reality MMORPG where one of the classes specifically is based on a heavy shield (with a short knife as a backup weapon).

Bofuri is a fun anime and I am looking forward to seeing more of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

cheetah7071 posted:

Shadowbringers, I believe

From what I can find online, it always had the slow ever since it was added in 4.0, but tanks didn't get it until 5.0.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Arm's Length actually has had the Slow since Stormblood.

HOWEVER, it was not a Tank Role Action until Shadowbringers.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arm's Length has always had the slow, but tanks didn't get it until Shadowbringers. It was exclusive to melee DPS in Stormblood.

Edit: beaten

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

arm's length is very good for trash pulls ya

Arm's Length is also great for salvaging bad pulls as melee DPS. Arm's Length + Bloodbath and a bit of kiting can keep you alive long enough for the tank to get swiftrezzed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh this reminds me that I should go back and look at all those Job History posts, is there a convenient link to them

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh thank god I feel way less stupid, I missed all but the tail end of Shadowbringers (to my enormous chagrin) to MMO burnout.

Thank you for the info!! Having another really strong tank cooldown for dungeons is awesome, I only ever used it to cheese boss knockback effects.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh this reminds me that I should go back and look at all those Job History posts, is there a convenient link to them
The most recent job history post I did. (It has links to the rest.)
I still gotta do new posts to start on the Endwalker changes, especially since we're about to have the second adjustments made in 6.08.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Completely off topic but I just watched an anime called Bofuri on Hulu earlier this month and tl;dr it's about a virtual reality MMORPG where one of the classes specifically is based on a heavy shield (with a short knife as a backup weapon). So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

bofuris nutz

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Before I switched over to spending time leveling other Jobs I was running EXDR as PLD, and the trash was dying so fast I rarely got a chance to use Arm's Length. I should use it over Reprisal, but I've gotten in the habit of hitting that first (after Sentinel, Rampart or Hallowed Ground to start the pull) paired with Holy Sheltron and using Arm's Length later. It's just by the time I would need to use it there'd only be 2 or 3 enemies left, and that's just a waste.

A tiny piece of me hopes things have slowed down a bit since then, with a wider pool of players meaning a bigger chance of getting someone that's not putting 110% into their character. Hitting Arm's Length and then hearing all those Slow effects hitting feels really good.

(Outside of EXDR it's much more likely the trash pull lasts long enough for it, though, so it still got regular use.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

So this is kind of funny (or revealing!?) in hindsight.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Magres posted:

For both of these, would y'all be willing to elaborate a little on these things? I'm kinda wanting to get into crafting but it's a really intimidating game system and I constantly feel like I'm loving up basically always.

ARR and each expansion after has a Beast Tribe solely devoted to crafting/gathering, which provide a way to level up your crafters/gatherers via daily quests. ARR's are the Ixal, Heavensward has the Moogles, Stormblood has the Namazu, and Shadowbringers has the Dwarves. The unlock conditions are a tad finnicky for Heavensward and Stormblood, so I'd recommend looking them up through Google, though it's mostly a bit of a time sink doing some quests than anything tedious. For crafters, you'll be given a set of mats that you use to craft an item to turn in, which is generally fairly easy and usually involves simply maxing out its Progress. You occasionally have to HQ stuff, but it's pretty trivial in most cases.

Each Beast Tribe corresponds to a level range: Ixal are 1-50, Moogles are 50-60, Namazu are 60-70, and Dwarves are 70-80. When I leveled all my crafters back in the day, I would simply progress them through a particular level band as quest allowances allowed. You have twelve total, and the various Beast Tribes (aside from the Ixali) have 3 you can do per day, so you can work to bring your crafters up through the various tiers with increasing momentum once you get them up to a particular level band. Again, it's slower than leves and collectables, but it costs no money and a pittance of time every day to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Onean posted:

Before I switched over to spending time leveling other Jobs I was running EXDR as PLD, and the trash was dying so fast I rarely got a chance to use Arm's Length. I should use it over Reprisal, but I've gotten in the habit of hitting that first (after Sentinel, Rampart or Hallowed Ground to start the pull) paired with Holy Sheltron and using Arm's Length later. It's just by the time I would need to use it there'd only be 2 or 3 enemies left, and that's just a waste.

A tiny piece of me hopes things have slowed down a bit since then, with a wider pool of players meaning a bigger chance of getting someone that's not putting 110% into their character. Hitting Arm's Length and then hearing all those Slow effects hitting feels really good.

(Outside of EXDR it's much more likely the trash pull lasts long enough for it, though, so it still got regular use.)

Arm's length should be the first cooldown you use not the last. It's most effective at the start when there are a bunch of mobs. It makes it so all of the mobs get only four gcds while you get five. it effectively gives your healer a free gcd to heal, if necessary. It is a more useful cooldown than basically everything except hallowed in a big pack. You have to stack other cooldowns to eliminate entire gcds.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Arm's Length reduces the enemy gcds by 20% for those 15 (+6) seconds. Meaning you take 4 out of 5 hits and take 80% of the damage you would have.

Rampart reduces the enemy's damage by 20% for those 20 seconds, meaning you take 80% of the damage you would have.

They're going to work out to be roughly the same, unless you're stacking cooldowns. Since Arm's Length isn't a damage resistance, it fully stacks with DR abilities. DR abilities, when stacked, are multiplicative, and lose effectiveness per ability used.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, Arm's Length is by far the best tank cooldown for trash packs.

Edit: Well, except Raw Intuition and the other tank specialty ones.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Arm's length should be the first cooldown you use not the last. It's most effective at the start when there are a bunch of mobs. It makes it so all of the mobs get only four gcds while you get five. it effectively gives your healer a free gcd to heal, if necessary. It is a more useful cooldown than basically everything except hallowed in a big pack. You have to stack other cooldowns to eliminate entire gcds.

Eh. I always saw it as a 20% damage reduction. The same as Rampart and weaker than Sentinel (which is 30%).You just take away 100% of one attack instead of 20% of five. Before I got in the Reprisal habit, which I do plan on breaking when I get back to running PLD because it is weaker, I'd use Arm's Length as my second mitigation during a trash pack, when everything's usually still alive but the healer's cooldowns are wearing thin. Which was my point in my last post: most of a pull would die so quickly in EXDR I'd rarely need that second mitigation after using a Holy Shelton when my first cooldown wore off. After I got in that habit, Reprisal's cooldown is so short it would be up again by the next wall, and I'd just hit it again since I didn't need a bigger cooldown.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 22, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I usually stack 2 cooldowns at a time since it works out with the pacing of trash packs in dungeons.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The first cd I always use is Hallowed personally.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Clarste posted:

I usually stack 2 cooldowns at a time since it works out with the pacing of trash packs in dungeons.

If it's a huge pack then I'll double up, but when it's just two normal packs I'll just use one. Unless you're counting the short cooldown, like PLD's Holy Sheltron; that I basically keep the cooldown rolling or the Oath Gauge under 90.

Ibblebibble posted:

I do too, unless I know about a big pull coming up in the second wall section before the first boss, then I'll save it for that one.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On a similar note, my first dungeon healing CD on WHM is usually Benediction (so that I'll have 3-4 per run).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
This may just end up being my DNC Glam for the foreseeable future.

And the first Screenshot I take actually trying to apply the rule of thirds is me as a clown

And if for some reason you want to see it in 4k

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 22, 2022

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Arm's Length reduces the enemy gcds by 20% for those 15 (+6) seconds. Meaning you take 4 out of 5 hits and take 80% of the damage you would have.

Rampart reduces the enemy's damage by 20% for those 20 seconds, meaning you take 80% of the damage you would have.

They're going to work out to be roughly the same, unless you're stacking cooldowns. Since Arm's Length isn't a damage resistance, it fully stacks with DR abilities. DR abilities, when stacked, are multiplicative, and lose effectiveness per ability used.

You'll still get diminishing returns combining arm's length with a mitigation ability. Because if an enemy is attacking you less often due to a slow the mitigation ability will have less impact.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibblebibble posted:

It's good that Paladins have such a strong tool for big pulls since their damage means they'll need to rotate more of them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I always use Arm's Length + Reprisal first in pulls

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

what magical world are yall living in where the tank isn't the highest dps by a good margin in an exdr and you have to do 2-1-1 pulls between bosses because the first pull takes so long all your mitigation is on cooldown

i want to live there :smith:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Just finished the second part of Amh Araeng I was starting to get real mad at Thancred for being a bad dad there. Like come on she's had several nervous breakdowns in the past few days about how she thinks you hate her and want her to die, maybe you could say literally loving anything to her? Ok maybe I'm still a little mad about it, at least he got there in the end. Glad Ryne has her own name now, though it somehow keeps getting mixed with Lyse in my head.

Getting real tired of Ran'jit's bullshit, I hope we finally take him down next time we meet. Also hoping they cut down on the amount of time it takes to finish a scenario fight where you're forced to use a different character. There's not enough depth to fighting as Thancred to keep my interest for 10 minutes straight.

Lol that we took a massive detour and got involved with saving an old mining town all so we could get through a single wooden gate, and that it didn't matter at all because Ran'jit was there waiting for us anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My rhythm on paladin is:

first pull: rampart, then reprisal + arm's length. Holy sheltron on CD, but watching to make sure I don't clip the regen
second pull: sentinel, then hallowed (works for first and third sections; second is a bit awkward), then rampart. Reprisal just sort of randomly somewhere in there, doesn't really matter. Sheltron on CD

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
On the positive side, I'm pretty sure that fight with thancred is the longest role action fight in the entire game

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Leraika posted:

On the positive side, I'm pretty sure that fight with thancred is the longest role action fight in the entire game

It certainly felt like it! The ones in Endwalker were less combat-focused, which helped.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Welp, I'm back after five years away and I'll be hopping through the hoops to get an invite to TPT with my irl pals. My'ani Me'Wifu is still there, but I started tp level a new character since I forgot everything, so instead of a catgirl wifu, I'm a bunny girl wifu. Stepo'me Mo'mie is a 35 warrior at this point and I am pissed I can't buy that clown's wife's outfit with these pumpkin tokens.

Good news! 90% of it is cosmetic gear and you could probably sub in some random shorts for the last part. For reference: https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Mama_Gruff

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Just finished the second part of Amh Araeng I was starting to get real mad at Thancred for being a bad dad there. Like come on she's had several nervous breakdowns in the past few days about how she thinks you hate her and want her to die, maybe you could say literally loving anything to her? Ok maybe I'm still a little mad about it, at least he got there in the end. Glad Ryne has her own name now, though it somehow keeps getting mixed with Lyse in my head.

Getting real tired of Ran'jit's bullshit, I hope we finally take him down next time we meet. Also hoping they cut down on the amount of time it takes to finish a scenario fight where you're forced to use a different character. There's not enough depth to fighting as Thancred to keep my interest for 10 minutes straight.

Lol that we took a massive detour and got involved with saving an old mining town all so we could get through a single wooden gate, and that it didn't matter at all because Ran'jit was there waiting for us anyway.

My favorite part of that was the door being locked behind a pressure plate in the cutscene, implying we could have just rolled a large rock over it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oneiros posted:

what magical world are yall living in where the tank isn't the highest dps by a good margin in an exdr and you have to do 2-1-1 pulls between bosses because the first pull takes so long all your mitigation is on cooldown

i want to live there :smith:

you too can live this blessed life, by only queueing for content with your friends who are also good.