Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

admanb posted:

Mmmm I was gonna say you can just click through all the text and cutscenes and it takes almost no time at all, but I realized that PLD is also one of the most miserable classes to play sub-70 so that would be a perfect candidate for a paid skip.

There's a reason why it's pretty much always a top 10 bestseller on the cash shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

DrakePegasus posted:

You never quit any of the guilds you join, you just apply for highly selective training under people they associate with. Or join clandestine orders. Or equip a rock some hobo gave you to be a billboard for his rock shop.

You leave Martyn alone.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

sirtommygunn posted:

Very funny though that they try to fix paladin quests in StB by just pretending you're a gladiator again.

What's even funnier is that the Gladiator questline feels more paladin-y than the actual paladin ones do - big focus on defending the weak, etc.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the paladin quests are basically
"Yeah, the paladins are compromised as well because Uldah and everything in it is terrible."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The biggest deal most powerful and storied Paladin, Nanamo's personal defender and leader of the historic forces during the 7th Umbral Calamity is in I think 1 of the 30-60 PLD quests but is a regular cast member of the GLD quests and the 60-70 PLD quests that star the GLD guild again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope the 6.X villain is Necron. Seems like what would logically come after the events of 6.0

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At level 100, machinists' automaton queen should upgrade to Summon Demi Alexander.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I hope the 6.X villain is Necron. Seems like what would logically come after the events of 6.0

can you

explain your logic for me

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

At level 100, machinists' automaton queen should upgrade to Summon Demi Alexander.

G-Warrior

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Find out whodunnit in the Heavensward LP's latest update!

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Oh no. Chunni's been clownified!

"The tanks should do the healing and the heals should do the tanking! Honk honkhonkhonk honkhonk! I'm gonna eat your fingers."

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Countblanc posted:

Someone want to help solve a mystery? Our tank died on the last trash pull of one of the expert roulettes, but he used Holmgang roughly 4 seconds before dying. Under "buffs" in the log it says he used Holmgang at ~10:00 and then immediately lost the buff at ~10:01. Then he died at ~10:04.

After this happened we tested in the field by applying Holmgang to a weak world mob and killing it instantly, and it also immediately cancelled the buff. So does killing an enemy who you targeted with Holmgang always cancel the immunity? I remember that's how it used to be but I thought that got changed when the ability got overhauled (iirc in Stormblood) where you didn't need a target.

/merror off
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/micon "Holmgang"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/jammbandit/status/1484344083493445634?s=21

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

We really should burn down The Shroud.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Au Ra facial expressions are so good.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Door boss beat, seen Act 4 multiple times, TOMORROW THIS BAT DIES

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ibblebibble posted:

Good luck! Finally got P2 down myself and I feel equal parts relief that it's loving dead and dread because <yoshi-p> NIGHTMARE </yoshi-p> of P3.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ibblebibble posted:

Like a bat outta Hell, he'll be gone when the morning comes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

HackensackBackpack posted:

Like a bat outta Hell, he'll be gone when the morning comes.

:negative:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

We really should burn down The Shroud.

Is that tree they worship secretly a primal? Are the padjal monstrous tempered servants? Better safe than sorry.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Erg posted:

Does GC turn in exp slow down at some point? I’m still mid 50s and it seems like a HQ gets you more than a level

Vermain posted:

There's no real rush with new master recipes being a fair ways out, so I'd honestly recommend doing it via Beast Tribes instead. I got all my crafters to 70 doing that, and probably would've taken them to 80 if Dwarves dropped sooner. I had a little routine where I'd log on in the morning and do my dailies with a cup of coffee, and it was a pretty relaxing experience. It'll take a couple of months, but it's a much saner way of getting them to 90 if you find the process of crafting while listening to a podcast interminably dull.

For both of these, would y'all be willing to elaborate a little on these things? I'm kinda wanting to get into crafting but it's a really intimidating game system and I constantly feel like I'm loving up basically always.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Healers can also get spoiled by warriors who know how to use their buttons. Warriors never really need to be healed in dungeons.

I struggle to keep my HP up terribly long on big pulls between RI/BWs, how are you keeping from just getting chiseled down over time during the 17s you have between big self healy-times? I feel like I help the healer a lot on my warrior with woryor shenanigans, but not enough that I basically never really need to be healed. But also I suck at warrior so :v:

Harrow posted:

Put a gun in your sword, join the explosion squad

People always want gunswords, I want a gunshield. Let me shield bash someone with a shotgun blast, please and thank you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think the next tank job should use a shield of some kind. I was thinking "giant tower shield plus a lance or hammer/flail" or something like that, but "the shield is a gunshield and is your main weapon" would be pretty sick, too.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Monster Hunter Charge Blade, but it's shield and gun and you assemble them together into a braced machine gunshield and DAKKA DAKKA

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Magres posted:

For both of these, would y'all be willing to elaborate a little on these things? I'm kinda wanting to get into crafting but it's a really intimidating game system and I constantly feel like I'm loving up basically always.

For starting crafting: I basically took the maximum effort approach and was leveling all my crafters evenly since I figured I’d save on time overall for getting crafting mats and equips. I don’t think that’s necessary if you want to favor one or two at a time tho

If you’ve joined a Grand Company you should be able to do supply and provisioning turn ins. You can see a list of them under Timers (I think it’s in the duty tab of the main menu?) or at the GC counter. They refresh daily and have some random item at your current level range for each unlocked crafting job that you can turn in.

Normal quality turn ins seem to be worth at least half a level, and a high quality version of the turn in is double that I think. You can also have a random number of the turn ins “starred” where they give even more exp.

Just starting out you can usually find some good deals on items you’d be turning in or their mats. There’s a couple awkward spots though where a mat is just really rare and drives up prices. I think undyed felt is one that I noticed where it’s a level ~30 mat that’s going for like 3k a piece.

Anyways my advice is take it slow and just try to craft a couple items a day for turnins when you don’t have a class quest to do. I enjoy the crafting mini game now that they’ve simplified it and the shopping list I have to build up for gathering and intermediate mats is a nice break for me while waiting for duty finder.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

For reference: the last time I was playing was at the start of Stormblood and every crafting class had 3 or 4 abilities you could unlock for every other crafting class so it was this huge confusing web and you either spent a lot of time figuring out how it worked or you punched your info in to a tool that gave you an optimal rotation macro for crafting an item

Now every class has the same exact skills (at least in to the mid 50s) and I haven’t had to look up anything at all to HQ most of my stuff. The first 10 levels are pretty straightforward anyways since iirc all you’ve got is the more quality and more progress buttons

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Magres posted:

For Grand Company turn-ins, you get a set of semi-random requests from your Grand Company every day that you can turn in for experience and grand company seals - one for each discipline. You get more of each for high-quality turn-ins, and you also get more of each if the requested item(s) are starred. It's semi-random because there's only like 3 items from each level range that are actually in the pool, but otherwise it's from normal things you can craft/gather (shown here is around levels 58-60; that little note next to Serpentskin Gloves is telling you that it requires a Mastery recipe to craft). Something that makes these "easy" experience is that you can just buy the items off the market board.

Beast Tribes have daily missions you can do (up to 3 per questgiver, to an allowance of 12 daily), and there's one crafting tribe per expansion including ARR (gathering is a little weirder; the Stormblood tribe quests can done for crafter or gatherer, and Shadowbringers has a dedicated gatherer tribe, but ARR and HW are for crafters only - but the ARR tribal quests need gathering unlocked for some missions). The things you have to craft are generally on the easier side (provided you're keeping up on gear at all), and if you screw up you get free materials to try again. Turn-ins get you some pretty nice experience, and you can actually do the crafting part on any job (the recipes are available to all crafters), so you can use one turbo-leveled crafter to do the work for bringing up the others with even less effort, should you choose.

I'll also note that leves are available for all crafter/gatherer level ranges and, like GC turn-ins, you can buy the items off the market board. You get 100 allowances maximum and they recharge at a rate of 3 every 12 real-world hours.

There's also the Firmament in Ishgard once you're done with the 3.3 patch story. They're also special crafts using materials you can gather in the Diadem (or buy off the market board), and the experience for good quality turn-ins is amazing from levels 20-80. Bit more high effort than other options, since you will have to make your own turn-ins and they have to be done on the job you're leveling, and you want your gear to be up to date.

Custom Deliveries start in Idyllshire at level 57 and give good experience and scrip (tomestones for crafters/gatherers, essentially), but you only have 12 turn-ins per week and only 6 per questgiver (which means until you get your second one unlocked you'll be stuck at 6 per week).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I asked about leveling crafting/gathering a week or two back in the new players thread and got lots of helpful responses. I was picking up the gathering classes and Culinarian I had gotten to around level 60 a couple years back and I have them at 90 now. I tried a lot of different things but just gathering/crafting collectables seemed to be the fastest + the job quests/the daily GC handins give a lot of exp too (Ocean fishing is apparently v good for fisher but I forgot it existed)

It does kind of feel like you're defeating the point of the class by mostly doing collectables though...most of my exp from 60-90 on Culinarian came from cooking like 5?? different collectable dishes repeatedly so I wanna go back and fill out the log

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

There's no real rush with new master recipes being a fair ways out, so I'd honestly recommend doing it via Beast Tribes instead.

I am chipping away at getting crafters to 90 with the "comfy slow" method, basically just buying whatever GC starred turnins are up that day and using studium/deliveries to even things out as applicable.

Definitely not gonna bother with leves or grinding collectables, though the lore bits in the leves are fun

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ocean fishing is ridiculously good for leveling. I leveled from 80 to 90 in more or less a day just from those expeditions (with a little help from the Studium).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Magres posted:

People always want gunswords, I want a gunshield. Let me shield bash someone with a shotgun blast, please and thank you.
Rhitahtyn sas Arvina nods approvingly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Magres posted:

I struggle to keep my HP up terribly long on big pulls between RI/BWs, how are you keeping from just getting chiseled down over time during the 17s you have between big self healy-times? I feel like I help the healer a lot on my warrior with woryor shenanigans, but not enough that I basically never really need to be healed. But also I suck at warrior so :v:

First things first - make sure your gear is up to date.

For dungeon pulls, I pop bloodwhetting right after I get the big pack together. Right after that I'll pop arm's length. The combo of the slow from arm's length plus the self heal and shield from bloodwhetting will keep you really from dropping from near max hp. After the second big self heal I'll pop rampart. As my HP hits around 50% (which is now around 7-8 seconds left on the bloodwhetting cooldown) I'll pop equilibrium and thrill of the battle. Those will heal me to near max, and the HoT from equilibrium is enough to basically carry me over until bloodwhetting is off of cooldown. If you have good dps with you, the pack is already dead and you save bloodwhetting for the next pull. On pull 2, I'll usually start with vengeance up front (since arm's length is on cooldown) and toss on a rampart if things are spicy. In either case, if I'm worried at all and don't have a healing button ready, I'll pop shake it off which gives you a 15% hp shield that is boosted even more if you have thrill up.

You've got a pretty robust toolkit on warrior.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SettingSun posted:

Ocean fishing is ridiculously good for leveling. I leveled from 80 to 90 in more or less a day just from those expeditions (with a little help from the Studium).

Ocean fishing XP is strong, but I also managed to level 80-90 in an evening doing nothing but regular rear end fishing and Studium turn-ins. Fishing XP is absurdly good, particularly if you actually use your abilities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was kinda sad hitting level 90 in FSH because it meant I didn't really need to go ocean fishing anymore...

I got the mount and minion too

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was kinda sad hitting level 90 in FSH because it meant I didn't really need to go ocean fishing anymore...

There's a couple more minions that have been added prior to Endwalker, though it seems really up to RNG.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ocean fishing is a great source of white and purple gatherer scrip. I try to do it at least once a day if I can, even at 90.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh I suppose I still need to get all the folklores so I need more white scrip.

What should I spend purple gatherer's scrip on anyway...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Ocean fishing XP is strong, but I also managed to level 80-90 in an evening doing nothing but regular rear end fishing and Studium turn-ins. Fishing XP is absurdly good, particularly if you actually use your abilities.

Yeah, feels weird to let the studium XP go to waste to me.

I haven't actually tried Ocean Fishing yet cause I've been focused on other things and have a twinge of like "I probably should know what Im doing before I try it?" - any time the thought of trying it has crossed my mind, it wasn't close enough for me to sit around and wait for the next one.

From a max level perspective: Like, do I need to prepare for ocean fishing? Does it matter what bait I bring? How hard is it getting the unique rewards?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh I suppose I still need to get all the folklores so I need more white scrip.

What should I spend purple gatherer's scrip on anyway...

I just buy materia with purps. Crafted gear is better and that aethersand price is robbery.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, feels weird to let the studium XP go to waste to me.

I haven't actually tried Ocean Fishing yet cause I've been focused on other things and have a twinge of like "I probably should know what Im doing before I try it?" - any time the thought of trying it has crossed my mind, it wasn't close enough for me to sit around and wait for the next one.

From a max level perspective: Like, do I need to prepare for ocean fishing? Does it matter what bait I bring? How hard is it getting the unique rewards?

Ocean Fishing uses custom bait that you get from the vendor at the dock.

Preparation is important to rack up the points to get those rewards, I used this guide and this database:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/f95w2o/a_detailed_definitive_guide_to_ocean_fishing/
https://ffxiv.pf-n.co/ocean-fishing/fish

The main note is to have inventory free space so you're not panicking and dumping stuff out of your bag on the boat because you're out of room like I did lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm back after five years away and I'll be hopping through the hoops to get an invite to TPT with my irl pals. My'ani Me'Wifu is still there, but I started tp level a new character since I forgot everything, so instead of a catgirl wifu, I'm a bunny girl wifu. Stepo'me Mo'mie is a 35 warrior at this point and I am pissed I can't buy that clown's wife's outfit with these pumpkin tokens.