Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lmao imagine not knowing who Harry Styles is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Blade "cameo" in Eternals was terrible though

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rarity posted:

I don't have to imagine. I've lived it up until yesterday.

kazil posted:

I didn't even know it was him until months later.

I know the second scene is supposed to just be a tease of Kit Harrington's character and he is doing it in a moment of extreme desperation, but how in the world does he think using the Ebony Blade/becoming the Black Knight is supposed to help him find a celestial in some alternate galaxy?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't have to imagine. I've lived it up until yesterday.

You've heard of One Direction though, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kazil posted:

Yeah that was super lame

You're telling me you couldn't even get the actor to show up in shadow in a dark corner, or something? Like where you can just see the sunglasses? It's just incredibly lazy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that was super lame

You're telling me you couldn't even get the actor to show up in shadow in a dark corner, or something? Like where you can just see the sunglasses? It's just incredibly lazy.

Are we supposed to assume Blade was in the room?

Or that Dane's trying to organize a rescue mission?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

live with fruit posted:

Are we supposed to assume Blade was in the room?

Or that Dane's trying to organize a rescue mission?

It never occurred to me that he wasn't in the room.

How he knew to be in the room is another story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pik_d posted:

It never occurred to me that he wasn't in the room.

How he knew to be in the room is another story.

That's why I assumed he was talking through the sword, or that the sword opened up some sort of communication.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

live with fruit posted:

That's why I assumed he was talking through the sword, or that the sword opened up some sort of communication.

What?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Makes a lot more sense (to me) than creeping around waiting for him to open the box

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

I feel the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

I had no idea who the actor that shows up during the Eternals end credits was, but recognized the character he was playing.

Just now, months later, I read an article mentioning his potential second appearance in Guardians 3 and recognized the name.

Googling his name literally brings up an article listing him as one of the 10 most famous people in the world under 30.

Time to start yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Not getting more specific, just in case some people still want to go in to 4-month old Eternals end credit scenes blind.

I also just realized that Blade was in Eternals and is rumored to be in Moon Knight. There doesn't seem to be any proof, but the same places leaked/nailed Kingpin, Quicksilver, and the multiple Spideys months before they came out, so they have a good track record.

Do you work at ESPN on their subtitles team?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

kazil posted:

You've heard of One Direction though, right?

I knew the name Harry Stiles and the name One Direction, I just didn't know what he looked like.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I knew the name Harry Stiles and the name One Direction, I just didn't know what he looked like.

Don't let it bother you. I'm not even thirty yet and I didn't know who he was. :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, I generally avoid all Marvel animation because they tend to be way worse than DCs animations. It's been weirdly consistent this way since Batman TAS.

Whoa whoa whoa the 90’s Spider-Man and X-Men shows were amazing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Don't let it bother you. I'm not even thirty yet and I didn't know who he was. :shrug:

I'm on my 40's and to this day I don't know the names of every guy in One Direction, or how they look like, because I don't care. :shrug: It's not my type of music. And that's okay and completely normal.

Bust Rodd posted:

I second this.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bust Rodd posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man is another personal favorite, with an amazing Tombstone played by Keith David. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was also pretty good. Not as good as Spectacular, but noteworthy for the sheer amount of heroes & villains they gave time to.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

It's more "I don't knare (know or care) who he is."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

I need to watch Harley Quinn, the clips I've seen on youtube are loving hilarious.

And...Hit Monkey is currently Marvel's best animation, in my opinion. And when I say best, I mean the one with the best story. I'm still baffled they lowered the frames in some scenes.

This is true. Hit Monkey is excellent. But it really does feel like Marvel greenlit the project but also stopped caring and forgot about it so the creators were like "What if we made it good? No one's looking."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hit Monkey with the animation budget of What If would literally be my GOAT Marvel property

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ookiimarukochan posted:

Do you work at ESPN on their subtitles team?

Famous R-rated Harry Potter tribute band Wand Erection

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What kind of match is that? Dude's loving 13; do American sports channels actually air amateur teenage games? I know it's involving international teams, but even then, that seems like fairly minor poo poo. Is it just desperation for content to fill 24 hours, or do people actually watch that kind of thing? :raise:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tsob posted:

What kind of match is that? Dude's loving 13; do American sports channels actually air amateur teenage games? I know it's involving international teams, but even then, that seems like fairly minor poo poo. Is it just desperation for content to fill 24 hours, or do people actually watch that kind of thing? :raise:

ESPN shows the little league world series and also spelling bees

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pile of brown posted:

ESPN shows the little league world series and also spelling bees

And the Excel world championships. Dodgeball was prophetic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

tsob posted:

I see you're not familiar with the 1993 sports documentary Rookie of the Year. They let kids play professional sports all the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Azhais posted:

And the Excel world championships.

What, like spreadsheets and poo poo?

EDIT: the gently caress? It _is_ a competition using Microsoft Excel.

I say again - the gently caress?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 24, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's on YouTube if you're looking for something to hold you over till Moon Knight

https://youtube.com/c/FinancialModelingWorldCup

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've got to admit, that seems weirdly fascinating. It's like pro RTS eSports without all that fluff.
I also imagine contending looks good on your resume.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Anita Dickinme posted:

Same. Still don't know who he is other than Starfox.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Being famous doesn’t matter anymore, there are literally thousands of TikTok/Instagram influencers with as much money and industry pull as Hollywood movie stars now, who cares about any of them and why would you bother?

In the 90’s there was only 3 kinds of famous. You write a book, you’re on TV or movies, or you make music. That was it, that was the only way to become rich and famous.

Nowadays you can buy a house making a YouTube channel about hedge trimming for beginners or being a Tik Tok life coach, Hollywood is probably the worst way to get famous these days, IMO.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I bet you nerds don't even know who Addison Rae is

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Without looking them up first I’m gonna guess she’s a Billy Eilish type musician who makes sad gorl music?

*googling*

She’s a 21 year old blonde girl from Louisiana who made $8,000,000 dancing with her mom on TikTok and now she owns her own production company in LA?

Jesus Christ this planet fuckin sucks lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Without looking them up first I’m gonna guess she’s a Billy Eilish type musician who makes sad gorl music?

*googling*

She’s a 21 year old blonde girl from Louisiana who made $8,000,000 dancing with her mom on TikTok and now she owns her own production company in LA?

Jesus Christ this planet fuckin sucks lol

Tell us all about those kids on your lawn too, grandpa

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m a Millenial, I will never own a lawn or a house that could conceivably have a lawn

(Unless I start a TikTok about pet psychology based on Astrology)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m a Millenial, I will never own a lawn or a house that could conceivably have a lawn

(Unless I start a TikTok about pet psychology based on Astrology)

The trick is to use a hybrid out of western and eastern astrology and apply them to the southern hemisphere.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I think that was a study that showed that the top 1% of the streamers and tiktokers basically made minimum wage. You really have to be the top 1% of the 1% to make any kind of money.

There's also this insanely toxic element of parasocial affair that being an actor doesn't really have by default. Like actors have fans, but you don't talk to them everyday as if they were your friends and they don't have a direct impact on your life

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hasan Abi made a few million dollars streaming on Twitch, and his buying a house made national news, but he voluntarily turned his own life into the Truman show. He streamed 40% of the total year in 2021. 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make that paper. That sounds insanely difficult and also like a total nightmare.

I also am the type of person who really needs job security and YouTube is literally just an algorithm at this point, even the big channels can’t get in touch with a real person unless they have a YouTube content contract.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Hasan Abi made a few million dollars streaming on Twitch, and his buying a house made national news, but he voluntarily turned his own life into the Truman show. He streamed 40% of the total year in 2021. 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make that paper. That sounds insanely difficult and also like a total nightmare.

I also am the type of person who really needs job security and YouTube is literally just an algorithm at this point, even the big channels can’t get in touch with a real person unless they have a YouTube content contract.

He also admits that he's gotten many lucky breaks including having an uncle that owns a media outlet.

Not sure I'd want to trade places with Hasan honestly. The constant death threats from chuds to family and friends alone. Plus streaming 10 hours a day just looks miserable

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, I know boo boo the rich hunk whatever, but he has absolutely destroyed his back by sitting in computer chair for half his life, he doesn’t even get to enjoy being in shape because his back is hosed and he has tech neck

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shoulda invested in a standing desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't watch streamers that much but I noticed a good chunk of Youtubers that really benefitted from the pandemic, and going from ~10k to ~250k+ subs gives the appearance that they are bringing in a very comfortable income.

Now channels that are based on projects and need to purchase/invest in stuff for content seem to have to really be smart about how they manage it or one day their subs are going to drop and they will have no long term investments.

But yeah people doing game streaming / tv reactions need to spend so much god drat time creating content and it seems really exhausting.