Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

killing spiders, you forgot that one. or maybe it's under "anything thats icky" idk

My mother was fearless when it came to dealing with the "Ick", that woman would stick her bare hands into anything disgusting
without hesitation. I guess having three kids toughens you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quantumwell posted:

My mother was fearless when it came to dealing with the "Ick", that woman would stick her bare hands into anything disgusting
without hesitation. I guess having three kids toughens you up.

yeah my mom grew up on a farm so she'd already put her bare hands in everything disgusting

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Our family started using the good china about a decade ago for holidays etc because why not? We do have a rule that its hand wash only and none of the glass/really fragile stuff is allowed to be washed after 9 pm because its assumed everyone's drunk by then.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

teen witch posted:

can’t wait for my progeny to inherit my moms Welches grape juice glasses.

The witch family heirlooms

E:tbh the next time I’m at my moms I actually might bring them over if they fit a tea light. I need a Miss Poggy votive.

I think my family used to have a few of these, plus some others with the Flintstones(?). Alas, they have vanished over the years. They'd look cool with a candle inside!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

teen witch posted:

can’t wait for my progeny to inherit my moms Welches grape juice glasses.

The witch family heirlooms

E:tbh the next time I’m at my moms I actually might bring them over if they fit a tea light. I need a Miss Poggy votive.

Man, I'd like to make that crystal sing.

Seriously though, that's a good heirloom. I hope I get the McDonald's snoopy glasses.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for ruining my brother's date night and having him come pick his 3yo son up after he dropped him off at my house right before my shift?

quote:

I M32 have a brother M30 (Kevin) who is a single dad to a 3yo, Kevin lives in the same city as me we don't have any family of relatives here just a few friends.

Kevin has a habit of dumping his kid on me at random times to watch while he goes out on dates with women. So far he's gone out for 4 dates while expecting me to watch my nephew. It bothered me because I have work commitments (I'm a nurse) and my schedule can unpredictable, and so he caused me issues at work for dropping his kid off at my house without telling me first.

Last week he did it again, He came over at 6pm and entered my house with my nephew (he had a spare key) while I was showering and left the house immediately. I got out of the shower and was shocked to see my nephew standing there alone. I asked where his dad was and he said he just left. I knew he wanted me to watch my nephew, I called him several times on the phone and he did not pick up. I was so mad and almost freaking out because I was getting late for my shift. I sent him a text telling him to come pick his son up right now or I'd call cops on him for child abandonment. He texted back begging that I suck it up just this time because he had an important date and he couldn't leave in the middle of it. I told him that I was serious and I'd do it and gave him 10 minutes to get home.

He got home looking pissed and started yelling at me for ruining his date and making him leave in the middle of it, just because I couldn't bother skip one drat shift to watch my nephew. I told him I never agreed to watch his son and he made me do it. He said that it was an emergency which made me laugh because calling a date night "emergency" is just absurd. Long story short he left with my nephew but hasn't stopped blaming me for spoiling his date and probably causing damage to the relationship between him and his "potential" girlfriend.

It's been a week and he's still salty about it demanding I make it to him and call his date and lie to her and tell her some sob story about why he had to leave like that but I said I won't do that.

AITA?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That poster wants you to know he isn’t mad, it’s you who are in fact mad

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I want to thank them for bringing a derail from a month ago back, you bitch.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Extra row of tits posted:

Hi,

Just time travelling in from this in thread nov 2020 to see if “complete normal” goons are still having freak outs and screaming that being a virgin in their late 20s is normal and not a sign of being socially awkward despite absolutely freaking out about an harmless comment made a month ago.

:goofy:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Hi,

Just time travelling in from this in thread nov 2020 to see if “complete normal” goons are still having freak outs and screaming that being a virgin in their late 20s is normal and not a sign of being socially awkward despite absolutely freaking out about an harmless comment made a month ago.

What in the world.

Also Kevin is a piece of poo poo. That's all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mx. posted:

AITA for ruining my brother's date night and having him come pick his 3yo son up after he dropped him off at my house right before my shift?

Don't miss the magnificent response:

quote:

NTA.

> he had an important date...He said tha[t it was] an emergency...

Were they defusing a bomb together or something?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to do a gender reveal cake for someone

quote:

My 23f ex husband 35m and I have 1 year old twins together and due to a lot of complications from that pregnancy I got a partial hysterectomy. We divorced during my pregnancy after I discovered he cheated on me. He’s a good dad and his girlfriend is now pregnant. He cheated on me with his current girlfriend but she didn’t know he had a wife at the time, and I firmly believe that.

I run a pretty successful baking company in our small town and I do custom desserts including gender reveal cakes.

My husbands girlfriend called me and asked if I would be willing to do a gender reveal cake for them and said it would mean a lot of “the mother of her baby’s siblings made the cake for the party.”

I told her I had to think about it but eventually told her no. I am admittedly incredibly bitter at my ex for cheating on me while I was bedridden and medically fragile being pregnant with his children, and I don’t want to be involved in the celebration of their new child. I did specify that it wasn’t her, but I couldn’t do it and she said alright and hung up.

My ex then called me and told me I was being rude and unreasonable and completely unprofessional putting our issues before my business. I told him I was allowed to refuse service to anyone and hung up on him.

I feel like I have let my feelings get in the way of my business and if I made the cake it’s not like I have to be there to celebrate.

On the other hand, I do feel like I’m allowed to refuse business however I see fit.

AITA?

new girlfriend is also 23

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to do a gender reveal cake for someone

new girlfriend is also 23

Congratulations, it's a cheater!!!!

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hi,

Ugh.... I remember that.

It seems a lot more normal, yeah. There's still loving weird derails, but it's no where near as bad with the hot takes as a couple months ago.

Oh man, you should have followed the original threads way back when, there's some awful takes that still make me mad when I remember them and that was like a year ago

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I went hunting for a heartwarming one.

I'm (27F) concerned about attending my sister's (30F) wedding after major lifestyle changes

quote:

Using a throwaway because I don't like people knowing about this part of my past:

I used to be severely overweight in school and college. I had a lot of personal issues growing up, and reacted in very unhealthy ways. I ate far too much, never exercised, and when I got to college I started drinking. P much everyone in the town I grew up in knew me as the fat party girl.

A couple of years ago I moved away for a new job and started seeing a therapist. With her help, I started making lifestyle changes and getting a grip on myself. Part of this was going LC with my family, who I realized in therapy were major contributors to my issues. I do not use social media anymore, and haven't seen my family since I moved away.

Another part was finally coming out of the closet, and my new girlfriend has been hugely supportive and a big help in getting me into fitness and eating better. It's still a lifelong journey.

Point is, since the last time I saw my family I've lost well over a hundred pounds (probably closer to two hundred), have come out of the closet, and dyed my hair.

Today I got a wedding invitation for my big sister and her long-time boyfriend as part of a long email catching me up on what's been happening in our hometown since I left. Part of that email were some of the jokes we used to make about my weight, and drinking.

I don't know if I want to go back to a pit of what I now understand was full of emotional abuse and unhealthy coping mechanisms, and I'm afraid that I might be seen as 'upstaging' my sister. My mom always used to make fun of 'people who think they're better than us.'

My girlfriend thinks it might be good to get some closure on this part of my life, and patch up what relationships I can, but has promised to support me whatever I decide to do.

Has anyone been in a situation like this and know whether it was worth it?

tl;dr: used to be the fat party girl in a small town, got better after leaving home, invited back for sister's wedding who don't know that I've changed, not sure to accept or not

UPDATE I'm (27F) concerned about attending my sister's (30F) wedding after major lifestyle changes

quote:

OP: https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/rzzk0q/im_27f_concerned_about_attending_my_sisters_30f/

Thank you everyone who gave me a lot of good advice! Sorry for not responding in that thread, real life's been a whirlwind lately, yay someone at the office testing positive for covid.

Long story short, I did as redditors suggested and did a zoom call with my big sister, ostensibly to catch up but really to get a handle on how things have changed.

My sister was actually really great and supportive about my lifestyle changes. She apologized immediately for the 'jokes' when she saw how much weight I'd lost and was super supportive about me not drinking anymore and coming out of the closet. She is not the problem, at all.

The problem is our parents. From what my sister said, my mom especially has been steadily alienating everyone in the family. When I left, she found a new target in my little brother. When he joined the military and left, she started going after my cousins. My big sister, the one who's having the wedding, has always been my mom's favorite, but she says that she's opened her eyes to how my mom treats people and is planning to move away herself after the wedding (our parents are paying for most of it).

I've agreed with my sister that I'm not coming to the wedding. We agreed that it would give mom a new target to make a huge scene over, and there will be an open bar at the wedding when I don't trust myself to be around that kind of thing.

We're now planning for my sister and husband to come visit me in my new city sometime after the wedding.

Thank you for all the advice and support!

tl;dr: zoom called big sister, she's great, I'm not going to the wedding but my sister will visit later

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was struck by a sentence the other day: millennials don't want fancy china/silver, brown furniture, or rockers. The first two I get, but were they traumatized by their family's baby rockers, the ones with the gliding footstools?

As some with a parent who decide to go one couch, all other seating rocking chairs, they’re pretty uncomfortable after awhile.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cythereal posted:

I went hunting for a heartwarming one.

I'm (27F) concerned about attending my sister's (30F) wedding after major lifestyle changes

UPDATE I'm (27F) concerned about attending my sister's (30F) wedding after major lifestyle changes

This is really nice!!! Yeah,a big thing with toxic families is often the Golden Child isn't a jerk, but rather totally ignorant to how the whole thing is going down

It's nice they family had their eyes opened, so etimes a common enemy is what you need haha

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Miserable Maid posted:

Ugh.... I remember that.

It seems a lot more normal, yeah. There's still loving weird derails, but it's no where near as bad with the hot takes as a couple months ago.

Oh man, you should have followed the original threads way back when, there's some awful takes that still make me mad when I remember them and that was like a year ago

That guys tale is the hot take he is the weirdo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not a full meal, but an amuse bouche:

My ex is asking for another chance but I'm already in a new relationship

quote:

Few years ago when I (28f) was 23, I met and got into a relationship with a guy (43m) who was 38 at that time. The relationship ended after a few months due to his past issues. He asked me if I would wait for him while he work on his issues, and I said I would (tho I did hesitate).

Fast forward a year later, he told me he wanted a no-strings attached)/ FWB relationship and I objected.

A year after that incident, I got into a relationship with someone my age. I'm now about 3 years into this amazing relationship.

Now to the issue, my ex have contacted me and asked me to go back to him saying he now wants a serious relationship. He also mentioned that I did agree to wait for him.

While I'm really happy in my current relationship, I felt some guilt when the ex mentioned about me agreeing to wait for him all those years ago. Would I be cruel to reject his proposal?

TL;DR: My ex re-emerged in my life asking for 2nd chance while I'm already in a new relationship. Ex mentioned of last "promise" that I would wait for him.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Serephina posted:

loving lol to any idiot who thinks a "promise to wait for them" means loving anything. Some weird poo poo where they clearly assume your life will stagnate and not change at all while theirs does. Some Lead Character bullshit.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Serephina posted:

i just don't know how you can hear "sorry, i'm dating someone my own age" and keep on going, but i guess that's why i'm not featured in any r/relationships posts

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coronatae posted:

We inherited soooo much fancy dinnerware from a deceased grandparent. Service for 10 people. Infinite cut crystal that I'm scared to handle. A full set of silver that I've almost never used but hoooly poo poo does it need to be polished! I finally invested in a fancy storage set for the holiday-themed china because something about having Christmas plates on display year round was pissing me off immensely.

Just. Use. It. We use ours.

If you use it and something breaks did you really lose anything compared to a thing you never use? Go "fancy" every once in a while. It's all good. It's not as special as the people you got it from thinks it was. And at least is will get used.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Motronic posted:

Just. Use. It. We use ours.

If you use it and something breaks did you really lose anything compared to a thing you never use? Go "fancy" every once in a while. It's all good. It's not as special as the people you got it from thinks it was. And at least is will get used.

Same. Everything I got from older generations gets pretty consistent use. The glassware gets displayed in the inherited china hutch, and used anytime we're drinking something meant for it. I've got all my grandmother's silverware that I remember from growing up, and I tossed my Amazon basics crap and just put that into the regular rotation silverware drawer.
It's only valuable because your family, and theoretically people you loved, used it, so enjoy that value and the memories by using it too.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Well now that I've put the christmas china into storage I can have the regular fancy china in easy reach and you'd better loving believe I'm going to use it. I'm going to serve everclear koolaid punch from the silver coffeepot!!!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
When I moved into an apartment back in 2000, my parents gave me various household items. I think the only one I have left at this point is a baking sheet that probably dates back to the 80s. I did a horrible job taking care of it, so the entire thing is just various shares of brown, and nothing goes on it without a layer of foil or parchment paper. Sure, I have other baking sheets/pans that are actually shiny and non-stick and not ten years older than some goons, but it still works!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for bringing up a problem with my gf’s friend?

quote:

My girlfriend of almost 3 years has a an intimate relationship with her boss, ‘John’. They text each other all day, every day. He shares with her very personal “journals” and other thoughts about life etc. My gf feels a strong connection with John. She spends hours every day waiting for him to message, reading his messages, taking screenshots of his messages, and responding with paragraphs to his messages. I read their conversation once (which I admitted and apologized for), and they were saying things like “I love you”. My gf says it is a non-sexual, romantic love.

For months, I have felt 2nd-best to John. All I want is to come home from work and to feel like my gf is present with me, not on her phone. She sees this as controlling.

My gf is uncomfortable telling John how much time he takes up in her day - she doesn’t see it as a problem.

On Friday night, we were watching a movie, and halfway through she pauses the movie to text John. I’m not talking a 30-second message, I’m talking 10 minutes, paragraphs of a message. I was hurt - we can’t even watch a two hour movie without John interrupting. I felt at a loss - what could I possibly do to get my message across that this isn’t okay?

Saturday, I decided to message John myself (from my phone, I had his contact info already). I said who I was, and explained how much my gf admires him and feels mentored by him. I then stated how much time she spends messaging him and waiting for him to message, and how it’s having a negative impact on our relationship. I ended asking if we could work together to find more balance.

Instead of texting me back, John messaged my gf, asking if she knew I had messaged him.

My gf is now beyond angry with me. She thinks I went behind her back, that I broke her trust, and that im a manipulative rear end in a top hat. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't miss the magnificent response:

That could turn out to be a hot date. But one wrong move and he’ll blow the whole relationship up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Piell posted:

LOL it’s OK buddy, she was looking for a pretext to break up with you and run into his arms anyway. Embrace it and walk away.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
That sounds terrible and I wouldn't stay with her through that poo poo but what the hell did he think would be the outcome if texting the dude.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Piell posted:

Textbook example of "does this woman know she's your girlfriend?"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing my wife's requests to hurl in the toilet?

quote:

So, I had some bad food last night and got sick. My wife has repeatedly requested that when I hurl, to do so in the toilet. There are a few reasons why this is tough and I refuse.

For one, I might have just been there (which was in fact the case last night). 2, It's a tough position to get in if you are about to throw up, and 3, clean up is actually tougher. I always just throw up in the sink, and I did so last night.. I also cleaned it spotless afterwards with lysol, It looks better than before and is way cleaner than before. Her problem is that now she thinks it's gross for her to use that sink. I say that it's equally gross for me to try to position myself in our small bathroom to hurl in the toilet that I was just sitting on. Sorry for the gross topic, but anyway, AITA for refusing this request and using the sink instead?

go throw up in the yard you animal

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

therobit posted:

LOL it’s OK buddy, she was looking for a pretext to break up with you and run into his arms anyway. Embrace it and walk away.

Nah she’s either already banging that dude or would never bang him in a million years

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't want furniture that's annoying to move around, and I've never understood the purpose of fancy dinnerware, it wasn't a thing in our house as far as I recall.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
kind of want some fancy china now, just so i can eat ramen out of a hundred dollar bowl

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How often does this guy throw up? Like as a one off while he's got the flu, whenever. But if this is every week I think where my partner throws up would be a hard relationship requirement for me. I'd not be happy if they pooped in the bathroom sink either.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

What if he throws up into the fine china

My actual judgement here depends on what kind of sink we're talking. Kitchen sink I consider acceptable due to garbage disposal ability. Bathroom sink is unacceptable, though either kind of sink can be readily sanitized. This guy is missing out on what makes the toilet such an optimal spot: you are already so close to the floor that when you're done you can lie down on the cool tile and maybe cry a little.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mx. posted:

He should agree to cover it up, and then just tell the date exactly what happened

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How often does this guy throw up? Like as a one off while he's got the flu, whenever. But if this is every week I think where my partner throws up would be a hard relationship requirement for me. I'd not be happy if they pooped in the bathroom sink either.

maybe it's like the gurglespurts people and he's just food poisoning himself all the time, in which case he should get a special pukin' bib for the whole family

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Piell posted:

quote:

My gf says it is a non-sexual, romantic love.

But that's arguably even worse lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing my wife's requests to hurl in the toilet?

go throw up in the yard you animal

the yard really is the most refreshing option
like yea you're momentarily vulnerable if a sasquatch rolls up out of the woods on ya, but assuming your hypervigilance is unnecessary, there's always a nice cool breeze after you're done hurgling