Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bop bop perano posted:

There’s a lot of good stuff and good posts on the last page or two. Really want to do the moralist quest now.

I’ve always wanted to see someone take offense to the game’s definition of fascist, but I’m not sure I actually did want to see it.. also it’s named ‘white man vs. Disco Elysium’ https://youtu.be/kvH2ZD_aenc

Here’s a short clip, specifically of them getting offended by the game’s definition of fascism, and even say like ‘but how can fascist hate women, if women voted for hitler??’ Amongst other things, like immediately justifying their hatred of immigrants or non-white people. https://youtu.be/B5A71zrfCyE
I have viewed the video, as Hitler cannot penetrate my thirteen years of use of Youtube as an anime jukebox.

Is this Gary? Is Gary doing an LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I appreciated that I was able to berate Gary into apologizing for being racist to Kim.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nessus posted:

I have viewed the video, as Hitler cannot penetrate my thirteen years of use of Youtube as an anime jukebox.

Is this Gary? Is Gary doing an LP?

lol one of the comments on one of those videos said 'bro you sound like gary the cryptofascist guess the game got something right lmao'

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah don't think i need that in my algorithms

YouTube is just waiting for anything even slightly right wing to turn your suggested videos into The Turner Diaries

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

YouTube is just waiting for anything even slightly right wing to turn your suggested videos into The Turner Diaries
I do think that at some point this is going to turn out to not be an accident in the slightest, but it'll be something stupid like the guy involved admits it on some C-tier fash-rear end podcast in 2023.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Hey, I'm on day 5 and I'm stuck. I have run out of quests and I'm locked out of the check to get the Hardie Boys to explain more about whatever. I don't have any tricks available to reset white checks. Also, I can get a shivers check on that building by the shores, even though i've done a ton of that area's side quests.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Those checks will allow you to proceed if you fail them enough times (I think it's 2 or 3). It's possible to lock yourself out of the ability to get enough attempts though if you exhaust enough stuff, but try looking through your thoughts and see if there's anything you can internalize that would help. You can read a book or your case notes to pass time for that if necessary

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Yeah, I'm all out of that stuff. I thought I would have shivers checks by now, I don't understand.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Doing drugs will raise learning caps for another opportunity to level up and try again

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

Used to be like that but have you seen the speed at which YouTube changes out your recommendations after you watch something these days?

e: helps to burgermenu the thumbnail and banish it from the algorithm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah just say I don't want to see this kind of thing, it works fine.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Just finished my first playthrough so I went back over the last few pages and scanned all the spoilers and, uh, I missed quite a lot of stuff. I wasn't exactly sure when the game would end so I left a handful of tasks unfinished that I intended to complete, but I guess that's what a second playthrough is for.

I was 4/5/1/2 and I tried being a Communard but I don't think I ever saw any XP bonuses pop up because the Thought for it said +4XP from appropriate dialog choices but I only ever saw XP come in either 5 or 10 point increments. The thought which gives you 10XP from Conceptualization passes really made the XP flow like crazy - are there any like that for other tests?

I don't think I came close to finding my gun, I really had no dangling plot threads left for that one that I could see. I also didn't paint the wall and I forgot to attend the Communism guy's meeting even though I found the password.

And I don't think I actually found the real motive. The task log said I needed three pieces of evidence or something to confront him with to get a confession but I'm pretty sure I only found two before I decided to arrest him (the gun and the sniper's nest). I'm also wondering if the stick insect still shows up if you completely neglected all of the cryptozoologist tasks and/or interactions.

I'm also really curious about all the possible branches in the Union/Merc showdown event. I only passed one of the tests and seven people ended up getting killed (and I got shot twice! Really thought that was game over) and it really felt like a huge failure on my part, but I'm guessing that outcome can be improved upon.

I was nice to Kim the whole time, didn't do any drugs or alcohol but I think I only got credit for this at the end because I had the Thought that explicitly made me sober and I ended up split between Superstar Cop and Sorry Cop with regards to the stat tracking.

My only complaint would be there are a few technical issues to do with competed/impossible-to-complete tasks showing up, and I couldn't quickly scroll through the task list because clicking and dragging the scroll bar thing just made it rubber band. And with regards to the game design, the clothes management boost system was a bit cumbersome. I felt like Lionel Hutz questioning Apu and awkwardly removing my tie in the middle of a conversation.

But overall, I had a great time and I can't remember the last time a game made me laugh out loud so much. It's fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kalko posted:

My only complaint would be there are a few technical issues to do with competed/impossible-to-complete tasks showing up, and I couldn't quickly scroll through the task list because clicking and dragging the scroll bar thing just made it rubber band. And with regards to the game design, the clothes management boost system was a bit cumbersome. I felt like Lionel Hutz questioning Apu and awkwardly removing my tie in the middle of a conversation.

This is a complaint I've heard before and it's pretty valid, the jokes of the clothing system wear off pretty quick and rather break immersion and bring you back to video game land.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My main counterpoint is, there are checks you want to pass (mostly white ones) and it's nice to be able to massage the odds on them. Especially as a bell-curve can make a +1 be a big shift. And it helps reward exploration, and keep the more game-minded players involved. Which, probably includes me as I'm saying this. Though I mostly just picked things I wanted to wear, or be a bit better at and didn't exit dialogue trees the moment something came up. More "Let me put my gripping gloves on before I do this lift." or "Let me put my glasses on help me focus on this problem."

If it feels bad to people though, it feels bad.

Maybe if filling out your wardrobe gave you some points to spent on checks instead (maybe refilling on day end), and what you wore was mostly just fashion? Though that kind of reminds me how I wish a bunch of white checks reset on a new day, because being able to snooker yourself with skill point spending limits and stuff kind of sucks (see just a few posts back someone getting stuck on Hardie Boys check.)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Tylana posted:

My main counterpoint is, there are checks you want to pass (mostly white ones) and it's nice to be able to massage the odds on them. Especially as a bell-curve can make a +1 be a big shift. And it helps reward exploration, and keep the more game-minded players involved. Which, probably includes me as I'm saying this. Though I mostly just picked things I wanted to wear, or be a bit better at and didn't exit dialogue trees the moment something came up. More "Let me put my gripping gloves on before I do this lift." or "Let me put my glasses on help me focus on this problem."

If it feels bad to people though, it feels bad.

Maybe if filling out your wardrobe gave you some points to spent on checks instead (maybe refilling on day end), and what you wore was mostly just fashion? Though that kind of reminds me how I wish a bunch of white checks reset on a new day, because being able to snooker yourself with skill point spending limits and stuff kind of sucks (see just a few posts back someone getting stuck on Hardie Boys check.)

Just get critical successes in spite of having -10 modifiers for being ill-equipped NERD

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalko posted:

I was 4/5/1/2 and I tried being a Communard but I don't think I ever saw any XP bonuses pop up because the Thought for it said +4XP from appropriate dialog choices but I only ever saw XP come in either 5 or 10 point increments. The thought which gives you 10XP from Conceptualization passes really made the XP flow like crazy - are there any like that for other tests?

Wompty-Dompty-Dom Center is extremely good, it gives +10 XP and +2 real for encyclopedia passives. Unfortunately the soonest you can get it is day 3, when you no longer have to pay rent.
Actual Art Degree gives +10 XP and heals morale for conceptualization passives.
Jamais Vu gives +1 XP every time you click on a thought bubble.

Those are the three big ones if you want a ton of XP early on.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kalko posted:

I don't think I came close to finding my gun, I really had no dangling plot threads left for that one that I could see. I also didn't paint the wall and I forgot to attend the Communism guy's meeting even though I found the password.\

I don't remember exactly how it's brought up, but did it not get mentioned when you spoke with Evrart? He tells you he knows where it is and he'll give it back to you if you do something for him and it's a pretty simple 'quest' after that.

Not sure about the book club either, I feel like I had some trouble getting in after I got the password as well, but then I tried again and I got in that time and then was able to go in freely after that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Did the communist thought break in some update? I remember it cashing XP all the time when I first played, but when I internalized it in Final Cut there seemed to be nothing.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ah, so it could be a Final Cut thing (I didn't play the original version). One thing I wanted to mention about FC as well is that the voice acting is great but I had to turn it off pretty early on because I couldn't stop reading ahead on the dialogue and it hurt my brain trying to have it both ways. Plus, the game would've taken about twice as long to complete if I'd waited for it every time. I did appreciate that the karaoke song was part of the soundtrack, though. That was pretty cool.

bop bop perano posted:

I don't remember exactly how it's brought up, but did it not get mentioned when you spoke with Evrart? He tells you he knows where it is and he'll give it back to you if you do something for him and it's a pretty simple 'quest' after that.

Oh, right. I deliberately didn't complete that task because I didn't trust his project wouldn't screw those people over, but I did have some second thoughts about it later when a bunch of, uh, gamey signs seemed to point to there not actually being any consequences.

The whole Evrart bit was good but kind of... anticlimactic's not the right word, but it feels like you're intended to meet him pretty early on. I couldn't get past the giant racist guy though so I didn't meet him until like day 4-5 (via Cuno's shack) when I'd already solved a huge part of the case, so a bunch of interactions with him didn't land properly, as though the game didn't take into account some of the tasks I'd already completed or things I knew.

Fister Roboto posted:

Wompty-Dompty-Dom Center is extremely good, it gives +10 XP and +2 real for encyclopedia passives. Unfortunately the soonest you can get it is day 3, when you no longer have to pay rent.
Actual Art Degree gives +10 XP and heals morale for conceptualization passives.
Jamais Vu gives +1 XP every time you click on a thought bubble.

Those are the three big ones if you want a ton of XP early on.

Actual Art Degree is the one I had, yeah, and it was amazing. I picked up Wompty-Dompty-Dom pretty late and wish I'd found it earlier but I didn't realize it was only available that late. Never came across the last one, and in fact I don't think I unlocked even half of all the available Thoughts. Something for the second playthrough...

Kalko fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 24, 2022

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jamais Vu is a pretty big one to miss; it and the corresponding conversations around it give a ton of world building.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mossyfisk posted:

Did the communist thought break in some update? I remember it cashing XP all the time when I first played, but when I internalized it in Final Cut there seemed to be nothing.

It's not broken and it does give you XP, it just doesn't show it in the dialogue window. You can check before and after picking the options and see that it does increase your XP count, for sure.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Interfacing doesn't care about that poo poo, interfacing is thinking about cars and stealing.

Edit: Interfacing was what I used to pull the bullet from the hanged man's head, if there's one thing I don't want this man associating with sex it's jamming your hand into a rotting skull. Also gardening gloves increase interfacing, and, like, chafing. No.

I laugh at half light but every playthrough I laugh more at Interfacing for being another Weirdo Skill

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
How do you guys balance spending points on skills and thoughts? Iirc on my first playthrough (1/5/4/2) I leveled-up one skill from each category and then spent a point on a thought, so it started at 4 skills 1 thought, then after I reached the limit in INT it was 3 skills one thought etc. But I decided on that because I didn't know how much exp you get and which skills will be necessary and I was thinking of using a different system next time. Do you only level up skills when there's a white check you can't pass, or do you have a very specific character in mind and only develop specific skills and spend the rest of points on thoughts? Or something else?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In my first playthrough I generally sat on 2-3 points at any one time and loosely prioritised interesting sounding thoughts, then pumping key skills (for me this was Inland Empire, Esprit de Corps and Shivers) then retrying white checks.

I felt like it worked pretty well and my character and the story reflected how I approached things, although it helped that a major plot point towards the end of the game (the phasmid) turned out best if you had a high Inland Empire score.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It amuses me how many extra things they have added since the games release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqunoBarzo

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Harry was a gym teacher, but what is Kim's excuse?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It amuses me how many extra things they have added since the games release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqunoBarzo

Cdquno

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lt. Lizard posted:

Harry was a gym teacher, but what is Kim's excuse?

All those years of juvie policing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Kimball was very powerful

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Finished the game today. Lot of general full game thoughts below that I’m sure are no way unique to me.

Overall I would say I loved it and that it was like only one other game I’ve played, silent hill: shattered memories. Also a great game with really tedious gameplay. The quality of writing was so, so great. I kept finding myself doing screenshot after screenshot after screenshot and I am definitely gonna give it another playthrough after a break.

I would say that the ending was a little disappointing to me. Not the island stuff, I thought that was good. But I hated the wrap up at the end. I liked Kim reviewing my behavior and giving his opinion of my work but I thought it was overall a weird and clumsy scene after what had been a masterful display of writing. I’m glad that Harry and Kim didn’t die.

I liked how there were loose ends that just weren’t going to get any clarification based on my choices. I didn’t do the cryptozoology quest beyond talking to Lena about her experience so it was a startling but cool moment when the stickbug showed up. I liked the plot device of the deserter as well, kind of like a sadder and more gone version of Harry.

I put the most juice into Communism but didn’t really lean into the political stuff with Harry. I thought all the political history and world building in general was extremely cool. Managed to get all but two of the Hardies killed at the tribunal, arrested klassje and let ruby dip. I have never been more upset with Harry than when I missed with the tie Molotov. Sorry bratan, it was a fiasco.

The dream of Dora was rough, the phone call scene was worse though. Very glad I triggered that when Kim was not around. I am thankful that my friend Evrart helped me find my gun.

Half Light is probably my favorite of the peanut gallery. I appreciated suggestion apologizing for its fuckups. Think I am going to go through next time and just go crazy on all the ones I didn’t pump points into this time.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I would be remiss if I didn’t state the obvious which is that this game runs like dogshit on the switch. I’m glad it ran at all so I could play it but I would say I probably had six to eight total hard crashes and the actual tracking for interactable objects was very spotty. Overall an amazing game and I’m very very glad I played it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m replaying for the first time and just put it together that the bullet holes in the chest plate of the horseback king statue were from the deserter doing target practice

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Finished the game today. Lot of general full game thoughts below that I’m sure are no way unique to me.

Overall I would say I loved it and that it was like only one other game I’ve played, silent hill: shattered memories. Also a great game with really tedious gameplay. The quality of writing was so, so great. I kept finding myself doing screenshot after screenshot after screenshot and I am definitely gonna give it another playthrough after a break.

I would say that the ending was a little disappointing to me. Not the island stuff, I thought that was good. But I hated the wrap up at the end. I liked Kim reviewing my behavior and giving his opinion of my work but I thought it was overall a weird and clumsy scene after what had been a masterful display of writing. I’m glad that Harry and Kim didn’t die.

I liked how there were loose ends that just weren’t going to get any clarification based on my choices. I didn’t do the cryptozoology quest beyond talking to Lena about her experience so it was a startling but cool moment when the stickbug showed up. I liked the plot device of the deserter as well, kind of like a sadder and more gone version of Harry.

I put the most juice into Communism but didn’t really lean into the political stuff with Harry. I thought all the political history and world building in general was extremely cool. Managed to get all but two of the Hardies killed at the tribunal, arrested klassje and let ruby dip. I have never been more upset with Harry than when I missed with the tie Molotov. Sorry bratan, it was a fiasco.

The dream of Dora was rough, the phone call scene was worse though. Very glad I triggered that when Kim was not around. I am thankful that my friend Evrart helped me find my gun.

Half Light is probably my favorite of the peanut gallery. I appreciated suggestion apologizing for its fuckups. Think I am going to go through next time and just go crazy on all the ones I didn’t pump points into this time.

Did the stickbug talk to you?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toebone posted:

I’m replaying for the first time and just put it together that the bullet holes in the chest plate of the horseback king statue were from the deserter doing target practice

There's quite a few bullet holes around Martinaise, some of which you can point out, and Kim dismisses as being from the Revolution, along with all the other war damage. To be fair to him, it's the reasonable assumption to make, and a reason why the deserter has flown under the radar for so long.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's quite a few bullet holes around Martinaise, some of which you can point out, and Kim dismisses as being from the Revolution, along with all the other war damage. To be fair to him, it's the reasonable assumption to make, and a reason why the deserter has flown under the radar for so long.
And if you think about it, really: He's not wrong, exactly, now is he?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The ending of the communist vision quest is someone seriously bearing their soul.

I thought the game owned my rear end enough already and then I got to the end of it and I cried harder. It's amazingly, amazingly good

Pattonesque posted:

In the dark times, should the stars also go out?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

sebmojo posted:

Did the stickbug talk to you?

No. Kim took a blurry rear end picture of it and I got praised during the ending for finding it though

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

No. Kim took a blurry rear end picture of it and I got praised during the ending for finding it though

jesus I'm so sorry

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Paracausal posted:

jesus I'm so sorry

They chose not to believe in the impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wasn't planning to start a new run so soon but last night I thought I'd just whip up a new character to see how different things were for some of the beginning tasks, and I'm surprised at how many different things are happening or being offered already. My first character was 4/5/1/2 and my new one is 1/2/5/4 so now I have all the pink brain voices instead of purple, and the huge zoom out from Shivers when you first exit the hotel was really cool.

I also decided to try running away from Garte when he asked me to pay for the damages to the room but I failed the test, and that led to a very unexpected (and amazing) sequence.

I'm guessing this run will have a fair bit lower XP than my first one since I won't be able to get or really make use of Actual Art Degree (or the Encyclopedia one) but this time I'll make sure I get Jamais Vu early. I think I got a good ending the first time through (I recruited Kim to my precinct) so I'm kinda curious about shooting for a bad one, but I generally find it pretty hard to pick all the rear end in a top hat options in games like this.

This game is a lot more creative about that sort of thing though, so while I get the impression you can be a full-on fash fuckhead and still be very effective at all the cop stuff, you can also just be a regular-rear end gently caress-up without necessarily being a bad person. I just hope I don't end up being a moralist.