Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kirios posted:

Is it safe to leave your car basically plugged in at all times while not in use, then? Assuming modern EVs behave nicely with the 12V.
Yes.

(Unless your vehicle is recalled for defective batteries and the manufacturer tells you to do otherwise.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Did most of you install the electrical plug needed before you bought your first EV, or are there sometimes opportunities to get it all set up to be taken care of at the dealer in one fell swoop? I assume I'd need to call an electrician and get that installed before I even go shopping for one since there are no charging stations near me but was just curious.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Did most of you install the electrical plug needed before you bought your first EV, or are there sometimes opportunities to get it all set up to be taken care of at the dealer in one fell swoop? I assume I'd need to call an electrician and get that installed before I even go shopping for one since there are no charging stations near me but was just curious.

I rent a condo and have a use a Dryer Buddy with a cable heading out my basement window and to my parking spot. I ordered all this after I bought my car because there are ample public chargers in my area (I live in Boulder Colorado where 9% of cars are some sort of EV)

EDIT: I realize this doesn't help you, I was just super surprised by that 9% stat and wanted to share.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Did most of you install the electrical plug needed before you bought your first EV

We got the car first, and charged with the mobile charger until the electrician made it out. It wasn't super convenient but we made it work.

If you're sure you're getting an EV, may as well put the charger in first, so it's ready when the car comes home.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Slimy Hog posted:

I rent a condo and have a use a Dryer Buddy with a cable heading out my basement window and to my parking spot. I ordered all this after I bought my car because there are ample public chargers in my area (I live in Boulder Colorado where 9% of cars are some sort of EV)

EDIT: I realize this doesn't help you, I was just super surprised by that 9% stat and wanted to share.

Actually that Dryer Buddy thing looks pretty interesting, never saw that before, thanks!

cruft posted:

We got the car first, and charged with the mobile charger until the electrician made it out. It wasn't super convenient but we made it work.

If you're sure you're getting an EV, may as well put the charger in first, so it's ready when the car comes home.

That's probably what I would end up doing, but when I thought about the F-150, I figured they'd probably have some sort of dealer install for that home supply switch that might do everything at once.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If you are planning on using the F-150 feature that lets you use it as a backup power source for your house, you must have the specific Ford charger installed by Ford technicians. And for some reason I thought I heard it also requires that your main electrical panel service is 320A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAFIoXTEe8&t=604s

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had a 14-50 outlet installed a few years ago as part of a larger remodel. I knew an EV would be in the future some day. It's very hard to get electricians out for small jobs in this area, so it was good to combine the jobs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't know of any dealers that will throw in/recommend an Electrical service with the purchase. Their fucks end when you get the keys.

We bought an EV then had the work done. It was lovely trying to live off the drip charge. We chose a charger that was not hard-wired since, at the time, we considered owning a then-anticipated mod 3 and thought it would be nice to switch out the connector for another charger if that happened.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

I got a 14-50 outlet installed before I bought my first EV, because at the time there was a long wait period anyway (2-3 months). The dealer isn't involved with that part

Your car should come with a charging cable of some sort - this is something to check before you buy one, but I believe at least Tesla and Polestar each provide a NEMA 14-50 charging cable with an adapter that lets you plug it into a household outlet (e.g. 3-prong 15A or 20A 120V if you're in the US). I think it'd be weird if you couldn't at least plug into a normal household outlet, but I'm sure some manufacturer somewhere made a stupid choice here. If you have a 3-prong outlet in your garage, you should at least be able to charge with that; it's not the fastest charge, but for most people it's enough so long as you plug in every day. You could always do that and then evaluate whether you want to splurge on a 14-50 outlet (or something inbetween; some charging boxes will let you plug into 14-30 for example, if you happen to have one of those).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you are planning on using the F-150 feature that lets you use it as a backup power source for your house, you must have the specific Ford charger installed by Ford technicians. And for some reason I thought I heard it also requires that your main electrical panel service is 320A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATAFIoXTEe8&t=604s

I've never heard of anyone having a 320A panel

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Your car should come with a charging cable of some sort - this is something to check before you buy one, but I believe at least Tesla and Polestar each provide a NEMA 14-50 charging cable with an adapter that lets you plug it into a household outlet (e.g. 3-prong 15A or 20A 120V if you're in the US).

The Bolt and LEAF also come with one. I assumed every EV did. Anyone ITT get a car with no portable EVSE?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Ran off the Bolt's portable charger for about a year before I installed an Emporia EVSE over the holiday break. Worked OK considering our low amount of miles -- 2-3 instances of us planning around finding a DCFC or other high-power charger because we couldn't wait the time for it to fully charge off the portable cord.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kirios posted:

Is it safe to leave your car basically plugged in at all times while not in use, then? Assuming modern EVs behave nicely with the 12V.

Only one thing to add here, keeping the battery at 100% makes it degrade faster. But most cars have a charge limit you can set. I keep mine at 60% max. If I need to go on a long trip I can change the limit and charge up full remotely with an app.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've never heard of anyone having a 320A panel

I've installed several (well, usually a 400A meter with 2x200A panels) for large homes with instant hot water+electric heat, they're pretty uncommon, and have a pretty large markup over a normal 200A service. Notably 400A (320A continuous) is the largest you can typically get without a massive price increase for 3 phase/CT metering.

It'd be a totally bizarre requirement to use an EV as a backup power source though.

I drove my car home with nothing but the included 12A 120V EVSE, I was an electrician and installed my own L2 EVSE I got off Amazon a couple days later though. I had to use DCFC a couple times because of the 1,400W limit on the included EVSE though. If you 100% know you're going to buy an EV or a PHEV, I'd definitely get an electrician to install an L2 EVSE prior to purchase.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I believe the Ford EVSE that works as an input is an 80A out unit, so probably unreasonable to have 50% of your 200Amp panel taken up by that.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Don't forget that for general commute purposes, 120V is entirely practical if 240v is prohibitively expensive or not ideal for any reason. You get about a ~1kwh charge rate after accounting for running electronics, etc. Its a tiny bit less efficient over time, but it handily covers a 50-60 mile daily commute, possibly more depending on make/model. My Volt recovers the full ~54 mile range in about 8-9 hours on 120v. If it had a bigger battery I could easily see it recovering about 100 miles between commutes to work. I live in a townhouse where 240 isn't feasible, myself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

120v wasn't sustainable for my 50 mile/day commute with the Polestar 2. It would get about 3 mi/hr so there was a net loss before any additional driving.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Tiny Timbs posted:

120v wasn't sustainable for my 50 mile/day commute with the Polestar 2. It would get about 3 mi/hr so there was a net loss before any additional driving.

That seems really low. Did it have a mode that set it to 8A or otherwise reduced charge rate? Some EVs default to a lower amperage rating on 120v because they know that the average house circuit sucks smelly toes. On my volt it'll take 12-14 hours to fully charge on the reduced rate, but closer to 8 hours for the full ~54 miles on the higher rate.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gonna buy an adapter from EVSE to regular socket, for vacuuming, lights and whatever else I might need around the car. Or perhaps handy to get 3.6 kW (max) phone charging when out and about on foot. :v:

Has anyone tried something like this? Any gotchas?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I knew I was going to an EV before I decided which specific model, so I had the electricians install a 14-50 plug in my garage months before I needed it. My Model Y just came with a standard household plug, but the Tesla mobile charger can switch out the connectors quickly and easily. Instead of getting the more expensive and permanent charger, I ordered an extra mobile charger and a 14-50 plug, and a little plastic mounting kit.

I don't have a daily commute any more (permanent WFH), but I still wanted the confidence to quickly charge to 80%. Running off the 120v while visiting the parents showed that 120v was a struggle, so I'm glad I had everything in place beforehand. I'm going to order the big multi-adapter kit to sit in the frunk for extra peace of mind, but I may never need it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Warrior Princess posted:

That seems really low. Did it have a mode that set it to 8A or otherwise reduced charge rate? Some EVs default to a lower amperage rating on 120v because they know that the average house circuit sucks smelly toes. On my volt it'll take 12-14 hours to fully charge on the reduced rate, but closer to 8 hours for the full ~54 miles on the higher rate.

It was set to 12A

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

Gonna buy an adapter from EVSE to regular socket, for vacuuming, lights and whatever else I might need around the car. Or perhaps handy to get 3.6 kW (max) phone charging when out and about on foot. :v:

Has anyone tried something like this? Any gotchas?

I don't understand this. In my EVSE there's all this circuity to, like, add GFCI and negotiate amperage and who knows what else. This looks like it's just some wires. What goes in the non-J1772 end?

Oh wait a second you plug your vacuum cleaner into this and the charger into the other end? Huh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

QuarkJets posted:

Wouldn't those incremental finance charges just become part of the APR? The tool actually seems to account for somewhat higher interest rates than the APRs that are actually available. When I bought a Polestar they were offering 1% APR. Tesla apparently offers 2.5% APR. The tool defaults to a 3.5% interest rate.

The APR is just the interest rate. The amount you pay in interest over the life of the loan is the APR times the loan value. If you have the same APR, and a higher loan value, you pay more in interest over the life of the loan. But I do see now that you can switch to a loan option that does account for financing charges, I just missed it the first time around.

Anyway, we are talking about EV affordability and you are out here comparing S60s and 3 series to EVs and what a good deal they are. That's all well and good - I agree that if you are buying a luxury car that buying an EV is financially advantageous, but nobody thinks that gas powered S60s and 3 series are affordable unless they are insanely detached from reality. At the lower end of the market, taking one of the least expensive and best entry EVs, it's not a better proposition than buying the gas version. It will be nice when that is true.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

I don't understand this. In my EVSE there's all this circuity to, like, add GFCI and negotiate amperage and who knows what else. This looks like it's just some wires. What goes in the non-J1772 end?

Oh wait a second you plug your vacuum cleaner into this and the charger into the other end? Huh.

Yeah. The negotiation stuff is hard wired to say whatever it needs to say, "I'm ready for 16A, I don't need ventilation" or whatever. I'm wondering if it'll lock to the EVSE box though. I see some sell these with a lock wired in, so if you lock with a key the EVSE locks the plug. I'd want the EVSE not to lock otherwise I wouldn't get it out again.

If it's the same as this, it doesn't lock but can be modded to do so: https://www.speakev.com/threads/which-pin-controls-type-2-locking-pin.146128/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Do most of y'all plug in nightly or just when you're getting a little low?

I have found with my model 3 if I let it get to ~30% before charging, the BMS does a much better job keeping the range guestimate accurate, so I am now in the habit of only plugging in once or twice a week so the car floats between 30-80%

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was set to 12A

Huh. I guess the polestar is really inefficient at charging on 120v then. If that's accurate then it charges at 12A the way my volt charges on 8A. I wonder if it just runs a bunch of extra electronics when charging?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's the last week of January now. Do you think Chevrolet is selling Bolts yet? This is when they initially said they'd resume.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Warrior Princess posted:

Those numbers don't really add up. The 2nd gen Volt has 14kwh available, so if you're charging 0%-100% at 1.44kw the entire time it would take 9.72 hours. Because of charging curves Chevy says it should take 13 hours to charge the battery at 120V. You sure you're not starting at 30% or something and just topping off?

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

McPhearson posted:

Those numbers don't really add up. The 2nd gen Volt has 14kwh available, so if you're charging 0%-100% at 1.44kw the entire time it would take 9.72 hours. Because of charging curves Chevy says it should take 13 hours to charge the battery at 120V. You sure you're not starting at 30% or something and just topping off?

13 hours is what it takes at the low 8A default rate, yes. It's closer to 9-ish on the faster rate.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Shipping a car 1200 miles would be done by a car hauler / hot shot hauler. That's done pretty often with used cars. I see plenty of Carmax and Carvana mobile parking lots and I see EVs on them a few times, but I also see hot shot haulers carrying cars around and I know that's an option. I have no idea what the price is on a move like that, especially such a long one way trip with no guaranteed return trip or even a triangle trip.

-----------

talking about an Ioniq5

One thing that bugs me is that Hyundai/KIA could do so much better in the US EV market but it seems like they refuse to do so. H/K has plenty of fun paint colors but the EV options are just boring and basic. And don't get me going about the lack of supply. Even before Covid the BEVs were limited to compliance states and Georgia and the supply was limited to 5000 a year and I saw basically no advertising about them on TV compared to the Palisade/Telluride which I know is making bank for them.

H/K are doing the bare minimum effort in the US for the EVs and I am totally biased that I want the cars they sell in EU and Canada to be widely available in the US with dealer support to match. I want to drive a K6. I want to drive a K6 for 15k miles a year with a smile on my face, and be able to take it to a local dealership for service if anything goes wrong.

Also I want Ford to push harder to make the EV Explorer ready before 2026.

I say this as a Shock green/yellow Bolt owner: Americans do not want bright colors. I mean some do but there's a reason companies rarely offer anything interesting. You might be able to get a red or blue that's not too dark but otherwise it's just shades of grey, beige, white and black. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/shopping/configurator?make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV&radius=250&zipCode=48362

blue tinted silver, white, black, grey, silver.
red, blue.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Warrior Princess posted:

13 hours is what it takes at the low 8A default rate, yes. It's closer to 9-ish on the faster rate.

1.44kw is 12A @ 120V. 8A would be .96kw.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

McPhearson posted:

1.44kw is 12A @ 120V. 8A would be .96kw.

:shrug:

I'm not awake when it finishes charging. I plug in when I get off of work and if I did extra driving and drained the battery to 0% and came home under gas, the OnStar text message stating fully charged comes in around 8 to 9 hours after the time I get home from work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This frickin thing didn't come with the bolt when we bought it. Internet makes it sound like they break a lot, and it seems the previous owner used duck tape somehow to try to fix it.

My sister in law just printed this for us and mailed it to us. Perfect fit! This kind of $30 replacement plastic doodad seems like the best argument for 3D printing. One day maybe I'll buy one.

That's all the EV news I have for today.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

cruft posted:

This frickin thing didn't come with the bolt when we bought it. Internet makes it sound like they break a lot, and it seems the previous owner used duck tape somehow to try to fix it.

My sister in law just printed this for us and mailed it to us. Perfect fit! This kind of $30 replacement plastic doodad seems like the best argument for 3D printing. One day maybe I'll buy one.

The Volt has the *exact* same cargo clip. I think I bought a bag of like 10 from Amazon for 15$. I've gone through 3. They're very fragile and snap if you accidentally catch something on the fabric cargo cover.

Edit: it might have been ebay actually.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

The Volt has the *exact* same cargo clip. I think I bought a bag of like 10 from Amazon for 15$. I've gone through 3. They're very fragile and snap if you accidentally catch something on the fabric cargo cover.

Edit: it might have been ebay actually.

Yeah I should clarify, $30 is the price I could find for a GM replacement part. This probably cost 20¢ worth of plastic.

I jury-rigged a temporary solution out of a paper clip. If they break as often as you say, the paper clip might wind up being a superior solution.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 24, 2022

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

cruft posted:

Yeah I should clarify, $30 is the price I could find for a GM replacement part. This probably cost 20¢ worth of plastic.

Oh my god. I didn't even look for a GM oem part when I tried to find one. That's so dumb.

If your sister has the stl file for that part, please see if she'll share it. I have a printer too. :shobon:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

Oh my god. I didn't even look for a GM oem part when I tried to find one. That's so dumb.

If your sister has the stl file for that part, please see if she'll share it. I have a printer too. :shobon:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3896693 is the one we used. My sister-in-law says she used a 60% infill, whatever that means. It feels hella sturdy, but I've got no idea what kind of force it's going to get.

It says Chevy Bolt but I seriously doubt GM sourced a bunch of visually-identical-but-subtly-different-size cargo cover anchors for the Volt.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

cruft posted:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3896693 is the one we used. My sister-in-law says she used a 60% infill, whatever that means. It feels hella sturdy, but I've got no idea what kind of force it's going to get.

It says Chevy Bolt but I seriously doubt GM sourced a bunch of visually-identical-but-subtly-different-size cargo cover anchors for the Volt.

Looking at the pictures, yea that's the exact some one on the Volt. Thanks for that. It'll come in handy when this bag runs out. I'm not very good at not breaking them. :haw:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are there any goon-approved EVs that we're all comfortable with as reliable and affordable daily drivers? Or does that vehicle not exist yet?

Used Chevy Spark EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

I bought a 3D printer last weekend and the first things I made with it were a cupholder and sunglass holder for my Polestar