Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stop moving the goal posts. A true pandemic of the willing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pandemic is a state of mind

stump collector
May 28, 2007
my home town kansas city chiefs just won one of the craziest playoff games of all time which, of course, means an extra week of a madly profitable gigaspreader event where people get sick and take the disease back to whatever little town theyre from

maybe playoff games tickets are so prohibitively expensive it wont ruin all the rural places but i guess we will see

gently caress everyting

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stump collector posted:

my home town kansas city chiefs just won one of the craziest playoff games of all time which, of course, means an extra week of a madly profitable gigaspreader event where people get sick and take the disease back to whatever little town theyre from

maybe playoff games tickets are so prohibitively expensive it wont ruin all the rural places but i guess we will see

gently caress everyting

look they're outside so please ignore how their literally shouting their lungs out and spraying droplets all over each other

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

we are post peak

hospitalization numbers don’t mean anything

"It don't matter. None of this matters." - A wise man.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

euphronius posted:

we are post peak

hospitalization numbers don’t mean anything

Everyone is going full blinders until the surge subsides in the spring and everyone sucks and fucks their way to a new variant come late summer

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Ham Cheeks posted:

what even does America produce any more other than covid and misery?

violence

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ham Cheeks posted:

what even does America produce any more other than covid and misery?

perversely, pharmaceuticals

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

huhwhat posted:

the nice thing about living in a tiny apartment with an air purifier running constantly is that stuff dont get moldy anymore

I was already pretty bought into the air cleaning thing before Covid happened, because if you read all the stuff about PM 2.5 and dementia and other illness, it'll make you realize how nasty most indoor air is. Covid just made me buy more filters.
https://www.buildings.com/articles/27942/what-largest-iaq-experiment-shows-about-your-indoor-air

Lawlicaust posted:

My employer has figured out how to pay manufacturing labor a substantially better wage than the industry… by reducing labor by 75% and heavily relying on robotically assisted manufacturing. Pretty easy to pay someone >$25 an hour in bumfuck nowhere when you have less than 1/5 the workers of the competition for 3-5x the output.

Of course there’s a hard limit to how scalable this is right now with limited available of chips and other components especially to actually do assisted or automated assembly. And we’re still totally hosed with trucking, shipping, and raw materials.

The medical system stress and potential collapse is not going to make meaningful lasting change in how people approach the pandemic. The impending supply chain collapse though? That poo poo is going to pull the whole loving system down. People think that what we’ve seen the last year with the supply chain is bad? It’s about to get a lot loving worse.

I hear you. It's hard to do more than hoard beans and such though. Building community resilience is so much harder when most of the community is probably going to infect you. The number of friends that I have that I feel I can count on to not be idiots in a crisis is considerably thinned.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

i like stickman 😡

Stickman owns and is correct here

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

like, why even compare COVID to the flu, especially when 1) you can apparently be reinfected after a few weeks, and 2) each subsequent variant is becoming more and more transmittable than the prior.

we’re 2+ years into this poo poo and idiots are STILL clinging to the “it’ll be endemic…….. eventually” line, it’s incredible.

define "endemic" in your own words, please

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Endemic = good luck

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

endemic means i dont have to think about or hear about covid ever again

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its has 'end' in it

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I want to hear coldrice go three hours with Joe Rogan :colbert:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

its has 'end' in it

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Jingoro posted:

I was already pretty bought into the air cleaning thing before Covid happened, because if you read all the stuff about PM 2.5 and dementia and other illness, it'll make you realize how nasty most indoor air is. Covid just made me buy more filters.
https://www.buildings.com/articles/27942/what-largest-iaq-experiment-shows-about-your-indoor-air

Got any links that mention 2.5 and dementia?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

"Endemic" is a state of mind. You cannot "define" it. It defines you.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Haha yeah virus yeah bitch

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
China still sucks

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CredulousAtBest posted:

China still sucks

i know they don't even have a team in the nfl playoffs lmfao

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

CredulousAtBest posted:

China still sucks

:wrong:

:mods:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CredulousAtBest posted:

China still sucks

And fucks???

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

endemic is just a word that idiots are using to say “its not going away so we should do nothing.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

china definitely fucks

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

If China wins the future and subjugates the West then we all get battle mechs right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

no just a nice material life in a stable system

:(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

wikipedia literally defines endemic for infections as:

quote:

For an infection that relies on person-to-person transmission, to be endemic, each person who becomes infected with the disease must pass it on to one other person on average. Assuming a completely susceptible population, that means that the basic reproduction number (R0) of the infection must equal one.

which is exactly what I originally said specific to COVID’s reproduction rate, which is currently going in the opposite direction of becoming endemic. If you’re trying to do the gotcha D&D dance then by all means please tell me when COVID’s R0 is going to hit 1 and truly become manageable and endemic, outside “eventually”

e:

Gio posted:

endemic is just a word that idiots are using to say “its not going away so we should do nothing.”

exactly this

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CredulousAtBest posted:

China still sucks

as the kids say, cope

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

?????

????

????

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"i bet those covid free grapes are sour anyway"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

?????!!????

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
sure is easy to draw you assholes out lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

covid

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
personally, I never want covid to end, it owns worrying about your kids’ health and not see people and wonder when your aging parents will get sick and die. drat it owns.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Louisgod posted:

drat it owns.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

CredulousAtBest posted:

sure is easy to draw you assholes out lol

Is this the rear end in a top hat drawing thread now? Let me go get my scanner

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CredulousAtBest posted:

China still sucks

hey respect your new masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Louisgod I think you're misinterpreting Stickmans post or something but they're right and there's nothing d&d brained about that post in isolation