Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk if that show is extremely mediocre. I'm actually thinking of Nisekoi, when I say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Baal posted:

watamote grew out of itself because the writer realized having tomoko grow as a person and not regressively cycle into the same shtick to justify its premise makes for a better story even if it is ultimately still a comedy

yea, it's hella good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's legit grown to be one of my favorite manga ever god it's so loving good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Every time I try to get into Watamote I get a couple dozen chapters in and give up because I really dislike that schtick

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

watamote grew out of itself because the writer realized having tomoko grow as a person and not regressively cycle into the same shtick to justify its premise makes for a better story even if it is ultimately still a comedy
i wish more writers would employ this one strange trick of having character growth

DoubleDonut posted:

Every time I try to get into Watamote I get a couple dozen chapters in and give up because I really dislike that schtick
i haven't read it yet, but apparently the recommendation is to start from chapter 69 even on first-read.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DoubleDonut posted:

you are dropping it like right before it starts evolving the schtick

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

you are dropping it like right before it starts evolving the schtick

I'll keep that in mind next time I try

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i haven't read it yet, but apparently the recommendation is to start from chapter 69 even on first-read.

this is the coward's way out

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

lmao the Watamote Headphones scene https://youtu.be/otoF-Z56Jwo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do not skip the school trip arc

e; oh wait that was the start of the school trip arc. there are some decent chapters a bit before that though. the one about tomoko thinking everyone is a lesbian hitting on her is important thematic setup

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 23, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I finished season two of wixoss. The movie is still to come, when it isn't past midnight. It feels silly to use spoiler tags for a seven year old show that nobody else in the thread is watching so I'm just gonna post

Season two felt a lot weaker than season one. The only character drama that I got really invested in was Akira's, and she just sort of gets unceremoniously dropped. In hindsight, her final scene was a sendoff, if an untraditional one, but it doesn't make me any happier that she got eliminated offscreen. Ulith worked as a villain for Akira but was very boring as a villain for everyone else. The Mayu/Tama/Yuki stuff was decent but not as good as season one's drama. The core cast of Ruuko, Yuzuki, and Hitoe sort of felt like it was spinning its wheels, too. Ruuko was obviously central to the drama, but Yuzuki and Hitoe sort of felt like they were just accessories to her story, since their arcs were over and done. They sort of came back half-heartedly into mattering in the last few episodes but mostly they seemed to exist so Ruuko didn't have to monologue

Thinking back on it, there were a decent number of filler-ish characters with striking enough designs that I assume they're mascots for the colors in the card game or something. Chiyori was fun, at least.

Overall I think the biggest weakness, at least for my tastes, is how disconnected the action is from the emotional narrative. I like shows like this when they're strongly intertwined. The fact that the action wasn't really followable on its own, and was only a backdrop for the emotional narratives, rather than the two halves feeding each other synergistically, was a big problem for my enjoyment. There's a few times where I felt like the fact that it was a card game even weakened the drama--like, in the narrative as presented, an LRIG's emotional state is more or less irrelevant to how a battle turns out. Like, you care about them as characters, so you care about their emotions, but it's a bit of emotional/narrative dissonance

I did like how until the last two episodes there was a probably-unintended read of the show where the whole thing was a make-believe world in Mayu's head. I sort of wish it kept that ambiguity all the way to the end, because one of the more powerful shots it could have ended on is, Mayu just opening the door in her room, which was there the whole time

Anyways I'm spending so many words dumping on it because I liked it enough that I really mind the flaws, because it's so close to being something really special. I think it's good overall, especially season one, and don't regret my time with it, and will probably watch the bonus movie scenes tomorrow. A solid entry in the Sad Magical Girl* genre.

*defined by me as, a show where girls are emotional, and express those emotions via supernatural violence

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 23, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Baal posted:

and as the recent extra chapter with the fan poll pairings given their own little shorts shows, while tomoko has significantly grown as a person in a lot of ways, she still has her total shithead goon mentality inside her, it's just not her entire gimmick anymore.

Watamote is probably my favorite character progression series, really. It's good cringe comedy for a while but the author definitely realizing they could do something more with it was apparent and I'm glad they went for it. Most of the new characters introduced are really well done in their own way, though a few have kinda been reduced to just gimmicks like emoji

DoubleDonut posted:

genuinely mean this: imo it's incredibly important to read the initial parts to really get a feel for how she used to be so that you can really appreciate her growth as a person, skipping the uncomfortable(or relatably cringe for some folks) stuff defeats the whole purpose imo

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Wixoss, pronounced "weaksauce"

Wixoss, pronounced "wicrossoss"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Is that show any good? All fragments I have seen have been awful, but that girl often appears completely deranged, and I can appreciate that.

The manga is alright

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways I'm spending so many words dumping on it because I liked it enough that I really mind the flaws, because it's so close to being something really special. I think it's good overall, especially season one, and don't regret my time with it, and will probably watch the bonus movie scenes tomorrow. A solid entry in the Sad Magical Girl* genre.

*defined by me as, a show where girls are emotional, and express those emotions via supernatural violence
the movie does a lot ot address most of those criticisms (except the card game thing) which is why its a shame those scenes werent in the show to begin with.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

unlike namtab, who hasn't managed one serious post despite almost twenty-seven thousand attempts

what the?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Please rest assured that i am serious when I say that K-ON! is good, and that Yui is the best.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

classic namtab

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not doing a bit. k-on is good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The boy who cried K-On is good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

Please rest assured that i am serious when I say that K-ON! is good, and that Yui is the best.

Namtab posted:

I'm not doing a bit. k-on is good

lol this guy

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
K-On is good

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

K-On is good but Mugi is best

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Watamote is very different from where it started, in a way that's really sweet and hopeful, while still being a manga about a poorly socialized, horny teen. The early chapters are very relevant to the context of the rest of the manga but it helps to know that after a while, she does get friends and improve. Basically, if you're looking for the turnaround point, it's the school trip in year two--in spite of everything, she makes friends there she keeps for the rest of her years in school and that leads to even more growth.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the turn in watamote makes sense because while tomoko doesn't entirely stop being bizarre, some of the friends she makes might actually, be even weirder than she is. even yuu gets way more of a voice in the later stuff and it makes her a lot funnier and more genuinely likable

anyway it's also really funny how that turn led to watamote getting an insane amount of yuri doujins

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I liked the Wixoss story less than the other people in this thread. But also, I probably watched it wrong, because instead of just skipping around looking for new stuff, I watching it straight through and let myself get distracted by discord posts during the repeats, which makes it hard to maintain the mood. It felt like the early scenes mostly just retread Ulith's existing character instead of adding new facets to her. The stuff at the end was obviously completely novel, though, but in the end I felt like it either didn't have enough time to breath to really land properly, or I ruined it by watching it wrong. One of the two.

I was a bit interested that the thesis of the movie, which it was solid enough on to just turn to the camera and tell the viewer as the final line--"no matter who you are, there's someone who wants to be with you"--is not the primary read I got from the show. Like, it's not like that wasn't present in the show, but I got a much stronger vibe of "your dreams are within your reach. Grasp them with your own hands, instead of just relying on wishes", which isn't something I got out of the movie at all because they cut basically every scene emphasizing it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways idk what's next. That was the last show the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread recommended me without hesitation. The ones recommended with a bit of hesitation, were Akanesasu Shoujo, Kageki Shoujo, and Birdy the Might Decode.

I've been in this "sad magical girl" track for basically the last year and have no desire to leave it as long as there's still good stuff in it. The heavily emotional stuff with just enough action to drive excitement is catnip to me. If anyone else has any non-hesitant recs along those lines, please hit me with them, even if they aren't about girls, despite me calling it the sad magical girl genre. If it's soldiers in mechs or boys playing soccer but it hits the same notes, that's okay too. If it's from the last 8 or so years, I probably didn't watch it. And also if it's from before then I only maybe watched it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akanesasu Shoujo isn't hesitant at all, that show owns. Birdy suffers from a slightly weaker S1 but it's still fine enough.

also, have you seen flipflappers? oh, and run with the wind is a really good sports anime though its about dudes. march comes in like a lion might also work for you if you're up for getting into some shogi, it definitely has that heavy emotional core.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Akanesasu it is, and I'll start a doc with all these names so I don't have to keep flipping back to old posts. So far I have not watched anything you've named

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

how magical do the girls have to be. watch humanity has declined imo

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

got drunk and started watching varnitas

didn't expect this much supernatural horny tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gridman and Dynazenon might be your speed? Gridman also has a slightly slow start, it doesn't play its hand with its emotional core until a bit into it, but it's got really naturalistic dialogue even before then which does a lot to make the characters work imo. Dynazenon leans into it more openly. Though both have a fight per episode since they're emulating old tokusatsu shows so they might be a bit too heavy on the action, but they still seem like the kind of thing you'd like.

Oh, and you'd probably be really into Kyousougiga? Fantastic show, strong character work and really strong family/home type theming while also having a lot of trippy visuals and some cool action sequences, even if it's not got *that* much traditional action stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I just learned that the Fruits Basket manga had a sequel called Fruits Basket Another. Is it any good?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways idk what's next. That was the last show the non-2021 anime you watched in 2021 thread recommended me without hesitation. The ones recommended with a bit of hesitation, were Akanesasu Shoujo, Kageki Shoujo, and Birdy the Might Decode.

I've been in this "sad magical girl" track for basically the last year and have no desire to leave it as long as there's still good stuff in it. The heavily emotional stuff with just enough action to drive excitement is catnip to me. If anyone else has any non-hesitant recs along those lines, please hit me with them, even if they aren't about girls, despite me calling it the sad magical girl genre. If it's soldiers in mechs or boys playing soccer but it hits the same notes, that's okay too. If it's from the last 8 or so years, I probably didn't watch it. And also if it's from before then I only maybe watched it.

it's not magical girls but you might like Sora no Woto? good melancholy show about girls at a remote military outpost in a dying earth setting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I call it the "sad magical girl" genre mostly as a joke because Yuuki Yuuna was the show I was watching when I realized the pattern in what I was into these days. I'm jotting all of these down, magical girl or no. Thanks for the suggestions

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Before that I would say that the shows were madokas, which isn't entirely wrong but is even more reductive than sad magical girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoHMgy2d9O4

YEAH, HAHAH...
WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?
WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT?
STILL FUCKIN' FEELIN' THE REALNESS...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

5th anniversary is coming up...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Akanesasu rules because it's written by the Zero Escape guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I call it the "sad magical girl" genre mostly as a joke because Yuuki Yuuna was the show I was watching when I realized the pattern in what I was into these days. I'm jotting all of these down, magical girl or no. Thanks for the suggestions

watch girls last tour if you haven't already