Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

bruh he still suspended.

oh apparently i forgot to check the dates lol

but probably something similar to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

“https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-followers-believe-donald-trump-used-body-double-arizona-rally-1669936” posted:

QAnon followers have whipped each other into a new frenzy, claiming Donald Trump was not at his rally in Arizona on Saturday, but that the person they saw was actually a "body doubly" or even John F. Kennedy in disguise.

Well, it appears the correct answer to what happens when Trump diverges from Q orthodoxy was, “Just assume he’s been cloned and carry on as they were.”

Considering how important and central his perfection was to their whole belief system it’s kind of amazing that they can just shrug it off.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 17, 2022

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Shrug it off?

The God-emperor has been kidnapped, and switched with a clone! D'artagnion, fetch my rapier and musket!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Murgos posted:

Well, it appears the correct answer to what happens when Trump diverges from Q orthodoxy was, “Just assume he’s been cloned and carry on as they were.”

Considering how important and central his perfection was to their whole belief system it’s kind of amazing that they can just shrug it off.

Their conceptualization of Trump was always so grossly at odds with the reality of him it's not that shocking to me. It's the same way they took a Jewish shepherd who claimed to be the fulfillment of Torah prophecy and said they should take care of the poor and turned him into a carpenter who hates taxes, women, and gay people.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Again, I refer you to the whole reason qanon gained a foothold was they needed something to believe in when Trump didn't do what they wanted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was gonna copy and paste snippets of this but you just have to read the whole thing. Tupac and Kobe Bryant are alive too among other things

The Dallas QAnon Cult Believes JFK Was Disguised as Trump at Arizona Rally

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7n37k/qanon-cult-trump-jfk-arizona

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I dunno seems a bit kooky!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
As someone on Reddit pointed out, Trump does speak a lot like an 105-year-old man whose brains were blown out decades ago would.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I kind of love that the idealized Trump doll they made is no longer good enough for these people and that they have to resort back to someone they aren’t even old enough to remember to fulfill their need for a sense of righteous purpose.

All that old for a brief moment Washington DC was Camelot nonsense.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The irony being, of course, that they'd hate JFK with a passion if he were alive and active in politics today.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The "they'd hate ___ if they were alive today" list includes Jesus.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey did anyone here see the movie "Us" and knows if it's been assimilated into some Q lore? It's about vast underground tunnel networks and clone mind control. Must be a natural fit.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey did anyone here see the movie "Us" and knows if it's been assimilated into some Q lore? It's about vast underground tunnel networks and clone mind control. Must be a natural fit.

I refuse to believe anyone who posts Q poo poo has willingly watched a movie with a majority black cast

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

I refuse to believe anyone who posts Q poo poo has willingly watched a movie with a majority black cast

They don't read the q-drops either. They listen to somebody who listened to somebody who listened to somebody who once read the plot summary on wikipedia.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lord Stimperor posted:

Now that you bring it up, I'm curious whether Peele got some of the movie's inspiration out of pre-2019 Q conspiracies. They were around before Us hit theaters.

I remember one of the earliest big furors about it involved a whole slave race of mole children being moved through tunnels between Dulce, New Mexico and Los Angeles. (It was also using enough specific terminology that it had clearly started as someone doing a piss-take on a particular '90s comic book I used to read, but either somebody took the joke too far or somebody took it seriously.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wanderer posted:

It was also using enough specific terminology that it had clearly started as someone doing a piss-take on a particular '90s comic book I used to read

Does Grant Morrison know that his spell worked and he manifested something into reality after all?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wanderer posted:

Now that you bring it up, I'm curious whether Peele got some of the movie's inspiration out of pre-2019 Q conspiracies. They were around before Us hit theaters.

I remember one of the earliest big furors about it involved a whole slave race of mole children being moved through tunnels between Dulce, New Mexico and Los Angeles. (It was also using enough specific terminology that it had clearly started as someone doing a piss-take on a particular '90s comic book I used to read, but either somebody took the joke too far or somebody took it seriously.)

Ah yeah maybe Us was Q-pilled. Q first surfaced, like 2018? That would be too close to produce a novie. But Pizzagate came years earlier if I correctly. Maybe Q and Us spun off a common ancestor then.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ah yeah maybe Us was Q-pilled. Q first surfaced, like 2018? That would be too close to produce a novie. But Pizzagate came years earlier if I correctly. Maybe Q and Us spun off a common ancestor then.

I dunno, I think secret underground labs/lairs is just a genre trope. It’s definitely a feedback loop at this point where conspiracy takes from pop culture and vice versa.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dulce Base being underground and Project Monarch keeping brainwashed children as sex slaves/assassins goes back to the early 90s, at least. The clone stuff is a novel element for qanon but has been around in horror and sci-fi forever, like in Futureworld and Parts: the Clonus Horror.

When in doubt about q stuff, it’s always old pop culture recycled.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Us had a shot with a VHS cover of C.H.U.D. as a cameo. I think it's just using that specific horror trope.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does Grant Morrison know that his spell worked and he manifested something into reality after all?

They (Morrison switched to they/them relatively recently) knew that already, or thought they did.

Fun story: in the first volume of The Invisibles, Morrison's author avatar King Mob spends most of the last arc slowly dying with a bullet in his gut. Shortly after it saw press, the real Morrison came back to their apartment after martial-arts practice and immediately fell over due to a collapsed lung that had no obvious cause. Morrison was pretty convinced at one point that they'd almost killed themself.

I've pointed this out in the thread before, but this is slightly relevant because the conceit of The Invisibles is, writ simply, "every conspiracy is real." If you've read it, there are a lot of early Q-drops and incidental conspiracies that have a bunch of Invisibles shout-outs, which I assume date back to when it was considered an alternate-reality game.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
it's at least as old as the morlocks and probably older than that

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

They don't read the q-drops either. They listen to somebody who listened to somebody who listened to somebody who once read the plot summary on wikipedia.

I didn't love the Q documentary but there was a great part where this woman who keeps talking about how she does all this in depth research into Q and knows what he is saying is true had never once been to 8-chan or read a Q post from there herself, like she prided herself on "researching" but never once looked at the source first party.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't love the Q documentary but there was a great part where this woman who keeps talking about how she does all this in depth research into Q and knows what he is saying is true had never once been to 8-chan or read a Q post from there herself, like she prided herself on "researching" but never once looked at the source first party.

It's no different than religion. I'm not trying to be an edgy atheist, it's literally how religion spreads. Whatever was written 2000 years ago has been reimagined by so many "true believers" that nothing is as it was. Q is the same. In 30 years, it'll be "JFK WAS Trump and he saved America but then the anti-jfk guys took control and ruined it, believe me!"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Secret underground tunnels have been a mainstay of conspiracies since the 80's. I think it mainly came out of people needing to make excuses for why we weren't seeing all the crazy government coverup stuff that was going on and a number of UFO circuit people talking about tunnel networks and Deep Underground Military Bases.

Qanon is a big tent conspiracy theory cluster where people just pick and choose what they want to believe and is not as clearly codified as say Flat Earth, which is just an anti-Semitic, pseudo-gnostic mystery cult.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Here's some crazy from the UK:

https://twitter.com/sfinn80/status/1485336705859080192

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Secret underground tunnels have been a mainstay of conspiracies since the 80's. I think it mainly came out of people needing to make excuses for why we weren't seeing all the crazy government coverup stuff that was going on and a number of UFO circuit people talking about tunnel networks and Deep Underground Military Bases.

Qanon is a big tent conspiracy theory cluster where people just pick and choose what they want to believe and is not as clearly codified as say Flat Earth, which is just an anti-Semitic, pseudo-gnostic mystery cult.

Tunnels figure into the satanic panic of the early 80s as well, most famously in the McMartin trial.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Comment
"why's there an air raid siren going off?"
"It's in his head, or it's happening!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

When a sentence starts with, "Basically, Da Vinci Code-wise..." you know it's gonna be going places.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

So the new Deus Ex is based in Milton Keynes huh

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

The Donut posted:

So the new Deus Ex is based in Milton Keynes huh

I'm sure there's a Milton Keynes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUemV4brDU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
I don't know what it is about Occultism 101 that pushes unstable people over the edge into spouting apophenic word salad on the streets, but it's best to not touch the poop. Partly because it's poop, and partly because it's dangerous to gently caress around with your perception of reality, especially under the influence of 21st century media where anything goes and accountability doesn't exist.

If someone is primed to look for evidence of Occultism they are going to find it everywhere because it really is virtually everywhere - cities, buildings and art are full of occult-themed planning , design and artistry. Many of the grand constructions of the modern era are as openly loaded with ritual symbolism as any temple of antiquity. Viewed with academic detachment the history of the influence of occult thought in human history up to the present is rightfully fascinating. But if people are primed to look for it as though it's hidden they're also going to find it in a lot of places where it's absent, and trying to tie it all together is a fool's errand that breaks people's brains and accomplishes nothing. Synchronicity is real in that coincidences without causal links happen. If you dabble in the occult things will happen that you can try to attribute meaning to, or claim a causal relationship between ritual and outcome. But the only meaning it all has is what we put into it ourselves, and if you try to bring magic to a fist fight the fist is gonna win, every single time.

Some Podcast posted:

You can use synchronicity and pretend you’re talking to God, and you’ll get answers. God will talk back to you. It will arrange events, signs and portents. The problems with this is you’re never going to get anything back that some part of your own self didn’t already know. And the personality that is being reflected is going to be the one you assume that it is. So, if you believe in a transpersonal universalized loving consciousness running the universe, that’s what talks to you. If you believe in a vengeful, hateful, wrathful deity that is more interested in how we are different than how we are alike, that’s what your environment’s going to look like.
This is one explanation for the horrific things the fundamentalists do around the world. They are indoctrinated into a belief system that they disbelieve in. I mean, one of the oldest religious tricks in the world is you get a follower and you tell them, “This is how the universe is, this is what God wants of you and if you don’t believe me just walk out in the streets and look at the signs and portents and it will tell you I’m right.” Well, what happens is the person has been pre-programmed to sort their environment for a specific mythology, and then, of course, they see what they’re looking for. - The Science* behind Synchronicity
*not actually science

I've seen a lot of people drawn to occultism & mystical bullshit because it's been used with some success for therapeutic purposes, or because it ties in with their religious beliefs. Unfortunately for some people a psychic reading or drinking ayahuasca are closest thing they have to therapy in terms of accessibility and willingness to seek therapy, with the latter becoming an increasing problem. But a scene that attracts vulnerable, credulous people is prone to attracting and elevating abusers and their enablers. There's nothing therapeutic about obsessing over conspiracies but the hippy dippy bullshit internet is just as toxically loaded with groupthink conspiracy garbage as their Evangelical counterparts are. Maybe done right magical thinking can help people to address their traumas and help them self-care while being total weirdos. But magical thinking also leads to Slenderman murders, Thelemites raping children, and Internet Chaotes forcing Qanon into the public sphere to the point that it's mainstream for Evangelicals. It even leads to people scurrying around Milton Keynes trying to convince other people it's the spiritual crossroads of the universe. Ultimately it's always safe to dismiss wooey sounding bullshit even if you believe other wooey sounding bullshit.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 25, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

The Sausages posted:

look at the signs poor tense and it will tell you I’m write

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: wrong thread

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Mysticism and occultism have the same appeal as most alt reality crap. It lets you pretend that hosed up thing in your life is not your fault or totally okay and also that secretly you are the greatest person in history just as soon as you figure this thing out that no one else has.

Because your special.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

yikes, never trust a podcast transcript.

A simpler way of putting it is that vulnerable people can easily be misled by something along the line of the Frequency illusion. Just like when you buy a car and start seeing that model everywhere, people introduced to these concepts with a restricted context can be prepped to start seeing evidence of them everywhere, and such occurrences can aggravate psychotic disorders.

What amazes me is how seemingly effortlessly it has been for trolls to get religious types to conflate their existing religious beliefs with the conspiracy beliefs that are propagated on the new media.

Murgos posted:

Mysticism and occultism have the same appeal as most alt reality crap. It lets you pretend that hosed up thing in your life is not your fault or totally okay and also that secretly you are the greatest person in history just as soon as you figure this thing out that no one else has.

Because your special.
From what I've seen it's rarely that simple. A notable minority do use such beliefs as a crutch to avoid confronting mental health issues, which can be said to be the case for self-described empaths or self-described energy vampires. And there are the rare kooks who think they are God or something like that. But it seems like most people who get involved just find it gives them a sense of control over their own lives. Whether or not they are actually successful in improving their lot depends on a group of factors none of which hinge on their beliefs being true. Perhaps it's a way to access the psychological services of religion without adopting a religion, Though religions tend to demand a surrender of agency to a higher power rather than the personal development of it, for some people that's empowering in bringing about changes to the way they live. But it does seem like occult movements that gain momentum end up as exploitative cults, and perhaps it's fair to describe religion as a cult that has attained political power.

Another thing I've noticed - When my idiot boomer parents start talking between themselves about the latest conspiracy crap their whole tone and body language change and it creeps me the hell out. It reminds me of descriptions of the changes people can undergo when under hypnosis.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Sausages posted:

yikes, never trust a podcast transcript.

A simpler way of putting it is that vulnerable people can easily be misled by something along the line of the Frequency illusion. Just like when you buy a car and start seeing that model everywhere, people introduced to these concepts with a restricted context can be prepped to start seeing evidence of them everywhere, and such occurrences can aggravate psychotic disorders.

It's also worth keeping in mind that a lot of the "occult symbols" that people talk about are things like "common animals" and "single digit integers" that already pop up very frequently just by the nature of reality. Especially the weirdo numerology types that do stuff like decomposing any given number into other numbers, which, yeah, no poo poo, that's how math works. 44 is 4 times 11 and 11 is 5 + 6 so 44 is really 4, 5, 6... Spooky!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Sausages posted:

What amazes me is how seemingly effortlessly it has been for trolls to get religious types to conflate their existing religious beliefs with the conspiracy beliefs that are propagated on the new media.

It shouldn't be that surprising.

If you're willing to accept things like talking snakes, walking on water, 2 x 2 animals in an ark, resurrection, Adam and Eve and immaculate conception, regardless of anything else, that's a pretty wide berth of what a person might consider to be plausible. If one starts seeing the Devil everywhere then, I mean, a person can assign that to anything (Heavy Metal, D&D, comic books, Gays/AIDS, Hollywood, weather...democrats).

The entire GOP base going back to the moral majority has been raised for decades being taught that things they don't like or otherwise find uncomfortable are the work of Satan. History is filled with religions twisting and bending the so called message of God in a variety of ways to justify insane beliefs, laws and opinions that can manufacture popular consent. And money. Throw the loving internet in there and it just adds another layer of crazy poo poo that a lot of people are unable to parse, let alone vet.

It's loving depressing and the hypocrisy can be jarring, sure, but it's not really new.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's also worth keeping in mind that a lot of the "occult symbols" that people talk about are things like "common animals" and "single digit integers" that already pop up very frequently just by the nature of reality. Especially the weirdo numerology types that do stuff like decomposing any given number into other numbers, which, yeah, no poo poo, that's how math works. 44 is 4 times 11 and 11 is 5 + 6 so 44 is really 4, 5, 6... Spooky!
Get people playing with it enough and they will start doing it automatically when they see a number. Or a word, in the case of Gematria. The numbers that emerge from such processes are common enough that it's impossible to not find a link between something and another thing.

Numerology is Astrology for people whose math awareness peaked at arithmetic.

BiggerBoat posted:

It shouldn't be that surprising.
I'm less surprised that it happens and more surprised by the scale and rate at which it has happened over the past 5 years. The sheer pervasiveness of conflating unsupported conspiracy theories with religious, spiritual or political convictions seems unprecedented, though there may be comparable situations in history, aside from the deadly tides of European anti-Semitism. Or maybe such attitudes lie near the heart of many ethnicity-based acts of genocide. But it's unprecedented in my lifetime, what used to be a bizarre fringe is now mainstream.

From my limited perspective Trumpism isn't just a product of social media, the right wing's engagement with social media was in turn accelerated by Trumpism, and that engagement has been transformed into radicalization and the adoption of qanon-style beliefs. Mum and dad were harmless but annoying on social media up until well after Trump had been elected, and their main Evangelical propaganda source was satellite TV, which was heavily pro-Putin and pro-Trump. But eventually they and countless others had their online presence radicalized. Mum has moved on to telegram and the way she talks about social media creeps me out, it's less like they're just keeping tabs on friends and newsfeeds, and more like they're at a virtual cult meeting. The other thing that creeps me out is when mum and dad talk about their conspiracy crap with each other, their tone changes as well as their body language, it reminds me of descriptions of people undergoing hypnosis.

It's not just evangelical types that conspiracism is engulfing but virtually all conservatives who consume online media, though it's still prevalent in conservative traditional media as well. Finding a non-radicalized conservative in public discussion who doesn't end up dropping the same old dog whistles is rare as hell. It's unnerving to notice their absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Murgos posted:

Because your special.

To be frank, you special. So am I. So is every living thing because, last I checked, we're the only life in an endless cosmos.

That's not what you meant, I know. And you're right, we aren't in a simulation or
God's favorite, or starpeople or any of that, we're just super rare and unique and idiots are going to ruin all of it. It really sucks.