Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The final update to flash issac (the eternal edition) added a hard mode that, among other things, gave the d6 a chance to make items disappear.

Lol, that's pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah the eternal edition loving sucked and giving the D6 a (iirc) 50% chance to just delete the item is just dumb

watho
Aug 2, 2013

but it was a passion project by florian himsl and giving the ultra pride enemy that’s based on him a chance to drop the eternal d6 is a nice nod

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Eternal Edition was supposed to be the hardest challenge for the toughest players, but it just made everything a slog.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
drat, i guess florian really was in tune with edmund's design ethos all along

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
afterbirth+ reminded me a lot of eternal edition because it was also not very fun and many of the changes were made just to make the game needlessly harder and not fun imo

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't speak for how Eternal Edition is now, but it got nerfed after launch. I never played the nerfed version since I already completed hard mode by then and didn't want to go back to try again. But it was an absolutely miserable experience when it first released.

The neat part was that bosses were given new mechanics and in some cases AI. The not so neat part was that they were given a ridiculous amount of HP, your damage was capped in the case you had too many damage ups (which was really hard to pull off because that version of WOTL actually made every single DPS increasing item a Special item now), and some of the bosses had regenerating HP. Oh were you hoping to get around this by finding Dr. Fetus, Epic Fetus, or Brimstone? Sorry, all those items had their spawn rates gutted in hard mode.

Also some boss mechanics were clearly not tested at launch and resulted in several instances of literally unavoidable damage. Eternal Pestilence now dashed across the screen 3 times, leaving behind a completely solid creep trail each time, which completely boxed you in and left you completely at the mercy of the ipecac shots and the maggots. A later update actually opened up gaps in the creeps making it possible to deal with the boss unscathed. Eternal Envy's chunks refused back together if they touched and every one of them could actually attack you beyond the whole bouncing around the room thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 23, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i don’t think i got a single hardmode unlock. i tried a few runs and quickly decided this just loving sucks and went on to 100% hotline miami instead out of spite because the one game i had perfected on steam had a bunch of new extremely unfun achievements added to it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there’s an “eternal edition” mod for repentance that I tried once which is extremely horseshit but also kinda cool since it makes pretty big changes to all the enemies and bosses. might be fun to play with cheats enabled or something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

afterbirth+ reminded me a lot of eternal edition because it was also not very fun and many of the changes were made just to make the game needlessly harder and not fun imo

yeah the best thing about repentance is that they made it all feel like antibirth instead of afterbirth/afterbirth+ while still retaining the good things that those expansions added. i was pretty nervous that we were just going to get antibirth content in an AB+ balance context and that would have sucked compared to antibirth

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just found out that apparently Singe's (the farting boss in ash-pit) spike balls are considered impenetrable enemies instead of terrain. My spectral tears suddenly failed me.

It may suck to die over and over with tainted keeper but I am more likely to learn all the weird idiosyncrasies of the game when I'm getting killed by them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Someone explain how to beat Greedier with the stupid bag of crafting tainted character. Because uh... it's totally bullshit. All the items I can sorta craft are poo poo and then everything you need money to buy items but also need money to craft? I dunno. Feels impossible.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I didnt look up recioes and even then d20 was relatively common. Just keeo trying and itll eventually drop

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

poemdexter posted:

Someone explain how to beat Greedier with the stupid bag of crafting tainted character. Because uh... it's totally bullshit. All the items I can sorta craft are poo poo and then everything you need money to buy items but also need money to craft? I dunno. Feels impossible.

You can calculate possible recipes for your seed with platinumgod:

https://platinumgod.co.uk/bag-of-crafting/index.html

I guess just keep holding R until you get an easy craft for steam sale / d20.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The item description mod now includes bag of crafting recipes based on your seed and available pickups

A dang game changer!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

bossy lady posted:

You can calculate possible recipes for your seed with platinumgod:

https://platinumgod.co.uk/bag-of-crafting/index.html

I guess just keep holding R until you get an easy craft for steam sale / d20.

Thanks! This will take a bit of manual work, but worth it to knock out this stupid run.

AKZ posted:

The item description mod now includes bag of crafting recipes based on your seed and available pickups

A dang game changer!

I'm on PS4 so my solution is an iPad nearby with platinumgod site up at all times. Trust me, I'm INCREDIBLY mad I didn't just play on PC to begin with. I'm too far gone now to swap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You should be able to use the mechanics as intended and still have a fun and consistent time. Tainted Cain is the only character that has no redeeming qualities, needs a rework but probably won't get one.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

You should be able to use the mechanics as intended and still have a fun and consistent time. Tainted Cain is the only character that has no redeeming qualities, needs a rework but probably won't get one.

I definitely agree. I actually only just installed the item description mod. I realized I was sitting there with platinum god open pausing constantly and was like, well let's cut out a middle man.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'd still rather use T Cain than T Laz or Jacob and Esau

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Lol the page on works for steam version not the consoles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly item descriptions should just be in the base game at this point. I can't even trust my memory or all the videos and guides I've watched beyond the past six months because half the items got tweaked or changed recently.

I get the argument that the game being obscure helped build a community in the early days but we're past that point please just tell me what stuff does in game!

Regarding T. Cain, it feels like they created a character that appeals heavily to the kind of player who will just use the wiki to calculate how to generate broken item combos and break the game in half. However the designers don't actually want to encourage that so we're seeing a back and forth were attempts to make the character less easy to break get reversed engineered bybthe comunity so they can have fun breaking thd game with him again.

I think the changes to T.cain so far make him sound a little more appealing to play as but I haven't actually bothered trying for his marks yet because it still sounds like a chore and I'm hoping he'll be patched to be more fun to play without you nose glued to platinum god.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

poemdexter posted:

Lol the page on works for steam version not the consoles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Oops, sorry. I didn't know it was different between console and PC.

Try this one? I know it says switch but some people have claimed it works for playstation:

https://wchill.github.io/bindingofisaac/

Mr Phillby posted:

Regarding T. Cain, it feels like they created a character that appeals heavily to the kind of player who will just use the wiki to calculate how to generate broken item combos and break the game in half. However the designers don't actually want to encourage that so we're seeing a back and forth were attempts to make the character less easy to break get reversed engineered bybthe comunity so they can have fun breaking thd game with him again.

I think the changes to T.cain so far make him sound a little more appealing to play as but I haven't actually bothered trying for his marks yet because it still sounds like a chore and I'm hoping he'll be patched to be more fun to play without you nose glued to platinum god.

I always had fun with tainted cain just crafting the D20 and birthright then going to town stuffing whatever into the sack of crafting and ending up with a ton of items. You could do that and keep your interaction with platinumgod to a minimum.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Gello and BFF carried me through Greedier on 3rd attempt today. Easy peasy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If Ed and the dev crew can integrate charge bars and five other booster packs of popular fan mods, there is no excuse to not integrate External Item Descriptions

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
discovering what items do and being surprised by it is a basic part of the game for new players, imo. obviously whether you personally enjoy that especially dozens of hours into the game is different

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I do kinda wish there was an easier way to unlock tainted characters because god playing maggie is so miserable. I've got more J&E completion marks than maggie ones.

Play enough runs with Eden that starting with 2.73 tears and 3.50 damage feels OP.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Jazerus posted:

maggie kinda sucks but she is in a good position to abuse sac rooms at least. if you can feed 8 hits in you've got a 50/50 shot at 7 soul hearts along with a possible angel item and both key pieces (if you feed one of the soul hearts in after you get them) so at least you never have to really worry about health or not being able to go to mega satan

her early floors suck real bad but she can scale very well given a bit of luck

I always abandon a Maggie run if I don’t get a sacrifice room that pays out good on level 1.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's up with Tainted Eden's health? I feel like I pretty much have a handle on how to play this character it just confuses me when I get hit and my whole health-bar gets re-jiggered.

edit: Da gently caress? I just got hit and the Platinum God and Real Platinum God achievements both popped lol. This character...

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 25, 2022

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
All my Greedier completions with the harder Tainted characters have been completed by either:
1. Gello spamming to get through each level without getting touched and hoping I have the DPS to finish the last boss.
2. Gnawed leaf + any passive damage and letting the game win for me.
3. Sprinkler and battery items or technology zero so I can aim all the extra bullets.

I still have Tainted Lost, Tainted Lazarus, Tainted Forgotten, and Tainted Jacob to do. The game loves to spawn enemies on top of me which is killing all my Tainted Lost runs. Tainted Lazarus usually end because I have two sorta weak characters instead of one strong one. Tainted Forgotten is just hell because you can't clear out the spawns fast enough and end up swarmed and die. Tainted Jacob I'm ok until the last few floors where there's just too many enemies/bullets and I dodge into bad situations.

I feel Gnawed Leaf is gonna be my savior for the last unlocks and then I'll never have to play Greed/Greedier mode again.

PantsBandit posted:

What's up with Tainted Eden's health? I feel like I pretty much have a handle on how to play this character it just confuses me when I get hit and my whole health-bar gets re-jiggered.

edit: Da gently caress? I just got hit and the Platinum God and Real Platinum God achievements both popped lol. This character...

Don't all the stats get reshuffled as well? Or it might be you had some +HP items that get created/removed? Also lol congrats on all your items.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Don't all the stats get reshuffled as well? Or it might be you had some +HP items that get created/removed? Also lol congrats on all your items.

That makes sense. I guess the safest HP is soul/black hearts then and everything else could get taken from you at any time.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

poemdexter posted:

All my Greedier completions with the harder Tainted characters have been completed by either:
1. Gello spamming to get through each level without getting touched and hoping I have the DPS to finish the last boss.
2. Gnawed leaf + any passive damage and letting the game win for me.
3. Sprinkler and battery items or technology zero so I can aim all the extra bullets.

I still have Tainted Lost, Tainted Lazarus, Tainted Forgotten, and Tainted Jacob to do. The game loves to spawn enemies on top of me which is killing all my Tainted Lost runs. Tainted Lazarus usually end because I have two sorta weak characters instead of one strong one. Tainted Forgotten is just hell because you can't clear out the spawns fast enough and end up swarmed and die. Tainted Jacob I'm ok until the last few floors where there's just too many enemies/bullets and I dodge into bad situations.

I feel Gnawed Leaf is gonna be my savior for the last unlocks and then I'll never have to play Greed/Greedier mode again.

I can tell you how to get through Tainted Forgotten in greedier. Chuck you body over the button after each round starts to turn off the next wave. You wont take contact damage with the toss.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

flatluigi posted:

discovering what items do and being surprised by it is a basic part of the game for new players, imo. obviously whether you personally enjoy that especially dozens of hours into the game is different
The problem is that there are items and trinkets that legit had no idea what they did even after taking them hundreds of times because the effect they have is chance based and obscure. Even if i do notice the effect its not always easy to identify what caused the effect to happen as it triggered way later after getting the item/trinket and theres a bunch of other stuff i picked up that could conceivably have caused things to happen anyway. Theres also stuff like the 404 trinket that has random effects, or items that have multiple different chance based effects. Or how about i pick up a trinket that only activates when I die but I finish the run? Would I pick it up again to learn what it does if I saw it a second time and already had a trinket?

Not to mention items and trinkets that I knew what they did before but now they work very differently.

And ofc official item descriptions would idealy have a menu toggle anyway.

To me the fun of isaac is in how everything interacts with eachother. Combining item and trinket effects to exploit the game's mechanics is fun. Its a hard and sometimes unfair game, exploiting everything the game gives you feels very intentional and its habit of giving you just a vauge piece of text instead of any kind of in game explanation for anything feels out of step with what the game has become.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't really understand how you got 'I don't think people should use the mod' out of what I said but okay

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should ban the mod and nuke the steam accounts of anyone who installs it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

they should ban the mod and nuke the steam accounts of anyone who installs it

i agree

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

please no I need to finish tainted cain

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

flatluigi posted:

I don't really understand how you got 'I don't think people should use the mod' out of what I said but okay
I didn t get that at all?

I got that you were arguing they shouldn't add the mod to the game offically from you saying it was bad for new players?

Theres also no mod support for console players which is why i think they should fold the mod that everyone uses into the game itself.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Theres also no mod support for console players which is why i think they should fold the mod that everyone uses into the game itself.

edmund would lock it behind 100% completion if it was official

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
edmund would take down the entire internet to protect the secrets of isaac if he could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly item descriptions should just be in the base game at this point. I can't even trust my memory or all the videos and guides I've watched beyond the past six months because half the items got tweaked or changed recently.

I've been playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart a lot lately (sweet little boss rush bullet hell roguelite) and I like the way it handles this stuff. There's a ton of items and most of them are unlocked by completing specific discrete achievements like in BoI and they have similarly vague, generic descriptions. However the primary use for the meta currency you accumulate across runs is "radiating" items (or monsters) you've discovered, which reveals a detailed encyclopedia entry that lists exact numbers and hidden interactions and stuff like that. It's a fun balance between preserving some mystery and not making you need a wiki to understand how things work.