Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also other peoples' mobile phones should be able to receive calls but mine should not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Any American soldier who dies in a war over Ukraine is a complete moron who wasted his life.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Everything since the polio vaccine has been to the detriment of humanity. Freeze everything at April 12, 1955.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Degrowth is bad. gently caress your pastoralist vision, we aren’t going back

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

You're right

The only thing worse than today is tomorrow

That will be true every day forever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

thetoughestbean posted:

Computers are an abomination. Rocks were never meant to think!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Analog computers are cool and good, and I'd even give a pass to vacuum tubes. The transistor is where it all started to go wrong.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

christmas boots posted:

Everything since the polio vaccine has been to the detriment of humanity. Freeze everything at April 12, 1955.

Hell yeah, keep segregation in the US alive

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
backtracking from modern technology would drastically reduce the available options for trans people and also utterly destroy the quality of life of disabled people

primitivism of any stripe is ableist, queerphobic, and profoundly stupid

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Not really

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

quality argument, good work :thumbsup:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hell yeah, keep segregation in the US alive

Hey now, we're talking about technology. Social progress is a different topic altogether, pal.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Chloe Jessica posted:

quality argument, good work :thumbsup:

Arguing with someone implies you care that they change their mind and I truly don't

Honestly advancement in technology is a good thing but people should live simpler lives where possible

And all forms of social media should be banned with prejudice, and every time someone tries to invent it again that person should be executed publicly

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Manager Hoyden posted:

Arguing with someone implies you care that they change their mind and I truly don't

Honestly advancement in technology is a good thing but people should live simpler lives where possible

And all forms of social media should be banned with prejudice, and every time someone tries to invent it again that person should be executed publicly

be the change you want to see and stop posting

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

No

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
i am merely a vessel the posts make themselves

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: Guy Fieri is going to occupy the same cultural niche as Mister Rogers and Bob Ross when he gets old

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

We will when the biosphere gives out from under us.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

christmas boots posted:

Hey now, we're talking about technology. Social progress is a different topic altogether, pal.

I figured as much, I suck at sarcasm

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: Guy Fieri is going to occupy the same cultural niche as Mister Rogers and Bob Ross when he gets old

God I hope so

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

YeahTubaMike posted:

I figured as much, I suck at sarcasm

Lol it’s only because when I made that post internally I was like “some jackass is gonna mention segregation I just know it”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

christmas boots posted:

Freeze everything at April 12, 1955.

We could still nuke each other, but there would be no ICBMs. We'd have to fly the H-bombs there in B-52s, the way God and Curtis LeMay intended. :clint:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I just saw for the second time in a week someone refer to something as "living rent-free in your head" and now I know this is another Thing and I'm probably going to hear it a lot during 2022.

I don't even know what it's meant to mean, but I already hate it.

It rather reminds me of the next-day wave of clothing and speech fads that would happen in high school. Like, if on Friday a new Eminem music video was premiered, you know that if you didn't have yellow hair and wearing illfitting pants by Monday you were Out Of The Loop.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jan 24, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well it has been around for a long time

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Urban Dictionary (the first Google result) does put the entry in 2017.

But Something happened recently. An influencer or a streamer or a celebrity said it, and -- look, I saw it twice in a week and I know what this portends. It's going to become a massive thing people say in 2022. I'm declaring 2022 the year of this catchphrase.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

folks letting stuff live rent-free in their head, and that ain't it

not a good look at all, yikes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's already been a thing for a minute. It's at the point where it's in it's burnout phase

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's code for "you got mad at me for a thing I said or did and that is of course your fault"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

It's already been a thing for a minute. It's at the point where it's in it's burnout phase

Alright, my currently held unpopular opinion then is that this is not burning out; it's gaining momentum.

docbeard posted:

It's code for "you got mad at me for a thing I said or did and that is of course your fault"

Given the context I've seen it in, I thought it was a friend-zone thing. Like, She really belongs to me but she thinks she's just a friend so in the meantime she'll just live rent-free in my head.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It got used a bunch by online Trump supporters mocking people for thinking about how much he sucked.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do goons always assume the grossest, horniest version of the thing is the default

I'm not sure if that was in response to me talking about grubbyness, but I didn't necessarily mean horny stuff, I just meant how finely tuned a lot of it is to make the brain chemicals go ping in a way that feels insincere and gross to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

credburn posted:

I just saw for the second time in a week someone refer to something as "living rent-free in your head" and now I know this is another Thing and I'm probably going to hear it a lot during 2022.

I don't even know what it's meant to mean, but I already hate it.

It rather reminds me of the next-day wave of clothing and speech fads that would happen in high school. Like, if on Friday a new Eminem music video was premiered, you know that if you didn't have yellow hair and wearing illfitting pants by Monday you were Out Of The Loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD3PjSMgJB0

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

christmas boots posted:

Context is pretty important too and I think in that moment Yoda’s mostly just trying to tell him not to halfass it because he thinks he can’t do it.
Which leads to Luke deciding that he's leaving for the clouds. Yoda claims he'll have thrown away everything, Luke pauses (welp, there is no try), "I understand".

Yoda lesson backfire.

Powered Descent posted:

Analog computers are cool and good, and I'd even give a pass to vacuum tubes. The transistor is where it all started to go wrong.
You should go watch some YouTube videos about nomograms!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chloe Jessica posted:

backtracking from modern technology would drastically reduce the available options for trans people and also utterly destroy the quality of life of disabled people

primitivism of any stripe is ableist, queerphobic, and profoundly stupid

I just wanna kill all iTunes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Which leads to Luke deciding that he's leaving for the clouds. Yoda claims he'll have thrown away everything, Luke pauses (welp, there is no try), "I understand".

Yoda lesson backfire.

You should go watch some YouTube videos about nomograms!

On the other hand if he hadn't gone to Cloud City he wouldn't have learned that Vader was his father and he wouldn't have lost his hand, both of which come in to play in the final battle.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

On the other hand if he hadn't gone to Cloud City he wouldn't have learned that Vader was his father and he wouldn't have lost his hand, both of which come in to play in the final battle.

Exactly. Luke trying and failing is what led to his success.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

christmas boots posted:

Naaa, Luke could have kept his hand and still refused the emperor, so he still would have been groveling on the floor under the lightning. As Vader was looking down on him in the end, Anakin broke through because he finally realized he had the high ground. :razz:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

Urban Dictionary (the first Google result) does put the entry in 2017.

But Something happened recently. An influencer or a streamer or a celebrity said it, and -- look, I saw it twice in a week and I know what this portends. It's going to become a massive thing people say in 2022. I'm declaring 2022 the year of this catchphrase.

Perfect timing for this video from like four years ago to return
https://twitter.com/shrekpisslave/status/1485789635393503233?t=CzjDjXam5sIFx9QTcqpqsw&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

"Steel-cut" oatmeal is just regular oatmeal but they changed the name to sell oatmeal to men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's objectively not