Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I'll go to bat for Agatha Christi's, 'and then there were none' is good. People dying on an island is one of those important plots that gets around.

My favorite bit about "And Then There Were None" is how every adaptation uses a happy ending that was made for a stage adaptation in the 30s. Except for a late Soviet era film which uses the books ending.

I feel like "And Then There Were None" and "Seven Samurai" are like the most adopted and riffed on cultural touchstones that make their way into all sorts of media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

someone who posted on gamefaqs around 2004 had the phrase "Dean Koontz is human garbage" in their signature and i still remember it.

is Dean Koontz human garbage?

Hes a christian, so its pretty safe to say yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Purify_toast17/status/1485558448167215108

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

What if I hated the Office?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
the 11/22/63 Stephen King book is the ultimate liberal boomer version of the events of the JFK assassination

Oswald was just a sad lone assassin like the Warren Report says. Preventing the JFK assassination is the most important historical lynchpin you can think of but also if you do stop the assassination I guess monsters take over because ??? so really I guess you could say we live in the best of all possible worlds.

I mean the book isn’t really about the assassination so who cares but I find it kinda funny. Also, I say this as someone who really likes Stephen King

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

the 11/22/63 Stephen King book is the ultimate liberal boomer version of the events of the JFK assassination

Oswald was just a sad lone assassin like the Warren Report says. Preventing the JFK assassination is the most important historical lynchpin you can think of but also if you do stop the assassination I guess monsters take over because ??? so really I guess you could say we live in the best of all possible worlds.

I mean the book isn’t really about the assassination so who cares but I find it kinda funny. Also, I say this as someone who really likes Stephen King

Stephen King is the ultimate boomer liberal at this point
dude plays in a cover band what more proof do you need

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There should be abridged version of some of King's longer books. I've lost interest in several once the excitement of the premise wore off and I was only a third of the way through the book.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Consider the recent reaction when the Grammy Awards were postponed. Perhaps I should say the lack of reaction, because the cultural response was little more than a yawn. I follow thousands of music professionals on social media, and I didn’t encounter a single expression of annoyance or regret that the biggest annual event in new music had been put on hold. That’s ominous.

Can you imagine how angry fans would be if the Super Bowl or NBA Finals were delayed? People would riot in the streets. But the Grammy Awards go missing in action, and hardly anyone notices.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Is this hauntology?

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

KomradeX posted:

My favorite bit about "And Then There Were None" is how every adaptation uses a happy ending that was made for a stage adaptation in the 30s. Except for a late Soviet era film which uses the books ending.

I feel like "And Then There Were None" and "Seven Samurai" are like the most adopted and riffed on cultural touchstones that make their way into all sorts of media

There was a happy ending version? Never read the book, but watched a 2015 adaptation on Acorn the other day and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Want to read the book now even if the big surprise would have been spoiled.

Also all this King talk reminds me that his kid is actually pretty good as well. Horns and Heart Shaped Box stick out to me.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Archibald Tuttle posted:

There was a happy ending version? Never read the book, but watched a 2015 adaptation on Acorn the other day and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Want to read the book now even if the big surprise would have been spoiled.

I watched this with my sister when I was a kid and she was upset that they went with the happy ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None_(1945_film)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The ending suits the character. It's the kind of ending that chews on you and then you chew on it and are able to digest it. And it indicates that things will, one day, get better. King made a mistake to try to continue it through a movie.

The ending is perfect, if a little cheesey.

Everything leading up to the ending, however...

Archibald Tuttle
Jan 10, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I watched this with my sister when I was a kid and she was upset that they went with the happy ending.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None_(1945_film)

lol, that'd do it alright. I woulda been upset as well. Like how annoyed I was with whatever the hell they turned I Am Legend into. I'm assuming the one I watched was the original ending. Where no one gets off the island I don't think I would have liked it nearly as much if it had the happy ending. Wouldn't have felt nearly as original and more of a generic cop out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eric Cantonese posted:

What if I hated the Office?

to be fair I do agree if you did indeed love The Office and hate that show you probably are being kinda racist because it literally is just 'what if The Office was a school instead' so come eat your loving slop, pigs.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
only cartoon im watching is the new season of the dota anime... which is alright but they made linas big jubbly TTYs LESS large... it seems.. whcoih pisses me off BIG TIME

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Nonsense posted:

dean koontz fans are all chuds, or at least the biggest koontz fan i knew but then she transferred to Texas A&M

Koontz is a weirdo Christian himself, there's a hilarious interview with reason magazine from like 20 years ago where he talks about Appalachian welfare queens turning him libertarian. Also the hero from Watchers is a hard man who had to do hard things in Central America in the 80s. Watchers is incredibly weird in general, there's way more than just the dog going on.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

KomradeX posted:

The Most Dangerous Game is another good one that gets around

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/patsajak/status/1485675366605893640

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pat sajak branching out into shitposting, you love to see it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/lilysmom514/status/1485707025845735425?t=NuBJ4gEJCKZ3TEesSgXHsg&s=19

GOT EM

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1485757517523308548

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sadly, I suspect Spotify makes more money off of Joe Rogan MD.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

DesertIslandHermit posted:

We should have more of this. People will bitch about what's the point but violence is dirty and pointless in our lives.

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1485001686334726160

Action film twitter the is the best twitter. Them, @TimesSqKungFu and @JonahJeng are pro follows

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Sadly, I suspect Spotify makes more money off of Joe Rogan MD.

I hope Neil Young will remember Spotify don't need him around anyhow

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

While King is a boomer lib, the end of the Kennedy book has him turn out to be a mediocre president who still does the Vietnam War and fails to get Civil Rights passed. The grimdark future where the world is ending is a world where Hillary became president. It's not so bad.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the best part of 11/22/63 was the guy with a magic time hole using it to buy the same cheap beef 1000s of times so he could sell cheap burgers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RandolphCarter posted:

the best part of 11/22/63 was the guy with a magic time hole using it to buy the same cheap beef 1000s of times so he could sell cheap burgers.

that's why he gets to die of old age in his bed, cuz he wasn't greedy with the time grift machine

edit:
or maybe he dies horrifically, i can't remember

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

smarxist posted:

that's why he gets to die of old age in his bed, cuz he wasn't greedy with the time grift machine

edit:
or maybe he dies horrifically, i can't remember
the meat...was his meat

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

also buying the same meat causes a paradox that drives a time cop insane. was the Hulu adaptation any good?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theres a hulu adaptation?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
yep, with james franco as the protagonist. i actually thought it was pretty good. the guy they got for oswald looked the part, too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol i was just looking for a time travel show and ended up going with dark because i had no idea there was a screen version of this thing my pop culture thread friends were talking about

first couple of episodes of dark are interesting but the pacing is getting on my nerves i cant think of any good reason that had to be two episodes instead of just one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feldegast42 posted:

Stephen King famously hates writing endings and his whole thing is coming up with a really cool horror premise and then letting it kind of trail off

I do remember reading that his reaction to the theatrical ending of The Mist was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that."

Farm Frenzy posted:

Consider the recent reaction when the Grammy Awards were postponed. Perhaps I should say the lack of reaction, because the cultural response was little more than a yawn. I follow thousands of music professionals on social media, and I didn’t encounter a single expression of annoyance or regret that the biggest annual event in new music had been put on hold. That’s ominous.

Can you imagine how angry fans would be if the Super Bowl or NBA Finals were delayed? People would riot in the streets. But the Grammy Awards go missing in action, and hardly anyone notices.

the simpsons was making jokes about how the Grammys are poo poo that no one cares about literally two decades ago

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Jan 25, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I think the last SK I read was The Cell which was about cellular towers that gave everyone 5g brain worm covid and turned into zombies, which was interesting and the intro scene with the Endless Summer of Fun ice cream trucks was rad, but then he was like clearly bored with it 2/3rd and just turned really stupid and ended

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the simpsons was making jokes about how the Grammys are poo poo that no one cares about literally two decades ago

more like 3 decades buddy

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

I think the last SK I read was The Cell which was about cellular towers that gave everyone 5g brain worm covid and turned into zombies, which was interesting and the intro scene with the Endless Summer of Fun ice cream trucks was rad, but then he was like clearly bored with it 2/3rd and just turned really stupid and ended

That's our Dear Author!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There should be abridged version of some of King's longer books. I've lost interest in several once the excitement of the premise wore off and I was only a third of the way through the book.

this is why his short story collections are generally better