Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Note that this methodology would leave BRD and DNC lower than actual outcomes, because it doesn't compensate for the knock-on effect of other people doing more DPS.

That's actually a good catch. Everybody who brings whole-party buffs indirectly benefits from everyone elses' potency increases. Which is... every dps except Black Mage, Machinist and Samurai, come to think of it, whereas Ninja and Bard probably gain more than average.

And yes, part of the normalization to percents of top dps was just to show that even the widest gulf between top and bottom dps is less than 9%, and that's bridging the ranged mobility tax. Five dps are within 2% of that top spot. Please play what you enjoy, I like number crunching just for curiosity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's also the fact those numbers are implying optimal play. As a SMN I've been outDPSing bad BLM, everyone whom I parsed with. Ultimately just play your job well and hit GDCs and you'll be fine with everything but Savage.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also it's kind of obvious but having extra rezzes from SMN/RDM can have a huge impact when working through hard content. I think people underrate that stuff sometimes.

Maybe they should give MCH a Defibrillator instant cast rez on a really long cooldown.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's also the fact those numbers are implying optimal play. As a SMN I've been outDPSing bad BLM, everyone whom I parsed with. Ultimately just play your job well and hit GDCs and you'll be fine with everything but Savage.

Absolutely. Just because Reaper on paper does more damage than Dancer doesn't mean I haven't out-DPSed Reapers in equivalent gear. Just that when the Reaper is actually good, I can't catch them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1485986744348835840?s=21
Vacuum sealed for freshness.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Grayshift posted:

Did a little napkin math. Rough estimates how they'll place based on new adjustments, with 1000 being top dps.
Monk - 1000
Reaper - 996
Black Mage - 992
Samurai - 989
Ninja - 985
Dragoon - 983
Red Mage - 943
Summoner - 941
Dancer - 929
Bard - 928
Machinist - 912
Dark Knight - 639
Gunbreaker - 631
Warrior - 622
Paladin - 617
Sage - 520
Scholar - 503
Astrologian - 500
White Mage - 493

Just rough estimates. Machinist is the one that sticks out most to me. Paladin and Dancer are healthy again. Red Mage and Black Mage might need some more love to compensate for their mobility challenges.

lmao what's 5+2?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like how Dancer is easy and that's why I play it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Really hoping they have something in the pipeline for WHM in 6.1. Potency adjustments might help them get up to where AST is DPS-wise at bare minimum, but AST's toolkit is so overwhelmingly superior for certain mechanics that it's hard to justify WHM with anything other than personal preference.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

HackensackBackpack posted:

lmao what's 5+2?

A prime number.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
https://twitter.com/Seltinich/status/1485991819347431443?s=20

oh no

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1485986744348835840
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1485994128723038209

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looks decent on roe dudes, so that's a y'all problem. :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
^^^ hell yeah, my expectation was Roe would look awesome in it

Theris posted:

I'm a DRG main who only recently started RDM and haven't done any EW endgame content with it yet, but what are the mobility challenges?

There aren't any. I have to interrupt a cast for mechanics quite rarely, you should never be hard casting anything longer than two seconds on RDM.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

From the Heavens on kazoo

From the Heavens on smooth jazz saxophone

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Theris posted:

I'm a DRG main who only recently started RDM and haven't done any EW endgame content with it yet, but what are the mobility challenges? I guess keeping swiftcast and/or the second acceleration charge in your pocket is slightly suboptimal from a MAX DEEPS standpoint but doing so means I pretty much never have my GCD stop spinning even in fights where I don't always know what's coming next.

Used to be that if you needed to move for an extended period of time on RDM you were kinda screwed since you only really had a dualcast and Swiftcast to cover movement. In Endwalker, you have two charges of Corps-a-Corps and Displacement, which have been decoupled from Manafication, itself now instantly giving you a full combo instead of just doubling your mana, and the instant ranged portion of that combo is an extra GCD longer. Between that, the reworked Acceleration, and the much higher relative ceiling of the maximum amount of mana you can hold onto, you have a *lot* more freedom both with movement and general planning.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

coolusername posted:

Finally, no more looking at MCH and crying.
gonna need more than a latency change for me to stop doign that

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Martman posted:

Maybe they should give MCH a Defibrillator instant cast rez on a really long cooldown.

Clearly this is the answer - obviously this ugly box we carry on our hip is in fact a defib....

Make it require a full battery gauge and there you go.

Edit: I was kinda making this post in jest but the more I think about it the more sense it makes....

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Aphrodite posted:

:yeah:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Doing the Level 80 SMN quest in Endwalker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antivehicular posted:

Time to set up a macro to advertise your choice in party chat! (This actually happened to me when I was playing NIN in my first run of Rabanastre and just... constantly on the floor. I was glad for the vote of confidence, but dude, you probably would have gotten more DPS tethering the tank. Or, like, anybody)

You mean your tether macro doesn't already sing the full lyrics of Eyes on Me?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Theris posted:

I'm a DRG main who only recently started RDM and haven't done any EW endgame content with it yet, but what are the mobility challenges? I guess keeping swiftcast and/or the second acceleration charge in your pocket is slightly suboptimal from a MAX DEEPS standpoint but doing so means I pretty much never have my GCD stop spinning even in fights where I don't always know what's coming next.

if anything I'd say the tlc for RDM's mobility challenges were applied at 6.0. even just pocketing one accel and keeping swift on cooldown I think the only time I've had to fall back on reprise is when my selection in curtain call comes up too early, so I don't have a melee or accel charge banked to handle movement.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A somewhat lore-friendly name for rolling on Materia.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

A somewhat lore-friendly name for rolling on Materia.

https://twitter.com/peopleofmateria/status/1485972140596023300?s=21

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Venuz Patrol posted:

you are insane. everything else looks alright though

it's important to have something to occupy your brain

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

HackensackBackpack posted:

Doing the Level 80 SMN quest in Endwalker.

To be fair, a lot of folks who use wheelchairs can get out of them to walk (often painfully) for short stints.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jetrauben posted:

To be fair, a lot of folks who use wheelchairs can get out of them to walk (often painfully) for short stints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4VaY7xCmRE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a piece I want from the Resistance stuff. It costs 9 platinum coins.

I have zero progress in it, never even started. How long of a grind am I looking at? Is it still a thing people are doing with Endwalker out to be able to progress it?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Finished the .0 of Shadowbringers, boy was that a lot to take in at the end. Pretty good, overall!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Aphrodite posted:

I have zero progress in it, never even started. How long of a grind am I looking at? Is it still a thing people are doing with Endwalker out to be able to progress it?
Bozjan Southern Front and Zadnor are still pretty active, on Primal at least, but there are some raids that need to be completed for story progress that can be difficult to get going with randoms people. If you can get a group of people together to assist with those, it'd help a lot.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Aphrodite posted:

Gonna throw in an estimate of about 20-25 hours of content to get it including cutscenes, which will unlock for you two zones great for leveling and 3 duties which are essentially alliance raids. Then maybe an additional 1-3 hours for each additional piece you're interested in depending on how many weekly quests you make use of.

For the primal datacenter, there's a "Primal Forays" discord (don't have the link handy sorry) that can help organize groups to do these, although pickup groups still happen even today in the wild if you shout (in the case of CLL/Dal, the 1st and 3rd duties) or use the duty finder (in the case of DR, the 2nd duty). You can simply queue for DR solo or with a party to try and get a matchmade group, but since it will eventually send you in with an undersized group if enough time passes, you may want to avoid that.

I think my most recent DR was with a group of 6. One left halfway through and it took over an hour to complete. I would not recommend it haha. Definitely use party* finder to group up before you queue for DR these days.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 28, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Personally, at this point I wouldn't mind if they completely axed SMN Raise (and Physick) for a couple of more attacks or actions, because it seems like they are torn between having it super easy and beginner friendly, but they still seem to want RDM as the prog-kind of class if that makes sense. SMN right now is on an excellent foundation going forward, but some stuff is a little undercooked (Besides the gap closer, Ifrit is underwhelming especially for the cast times, and they could serve to have Carbuncle do *something* in the brief period it's out). They don't have to get rid of all of the insta-casts, but it would be cool if they could put some of the casting back into the job rather than resembling a physical ranged most of the time.

Also, don't know who still actually watches Honest Game Trailers, but for what it's worth (Endwalker spoilers in here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t1eZPa68XU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

carbuncle really feels like they don't want it to be there and just have it because people are already attached to the little rat and would rebel if it only showed up during the summon casts

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

if i cant /pet my party member's carbuncle and have an animation of me crouching down and petting it then i'm gonna riot

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Carbuncle is practically a mascot critter for XIV and people absolutely would raise the biggest stink in the post-2.0 history of the game if it got balance passed out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ruzihm posted:

if i cant /pet my party member's carbuncle and have an animation of me crouching down and petting it then i'm gonna riot

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fester and Painflare really ought to be Ramuh showing up for a second. Like I'd love to complete the old elemental rotation of FF but it would feel real weird to summon Shiva for a quick AOE every 45 seconds when we watched Ysayle die.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

theironjef posted:

Fester and Painflare really ought to be Ramuh showing up for a second. Like I'd love to complete the old elemental rotation of FF but it would feel real weird to summon Shiva for a quick AOE every 45 seconds when we watched Ysayle die.

I mean, we summon Louisoix every two minutes, it's not any weirder than that :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm curious - since I've spotted a bit of interest here and there about getting through Bozja and the associated raids, is there interest in setting something up? not necessarily a static more than just "around this time a bunch of people join in and we get people through the group raids" type deal. I suspect I'll have more free time now that my savage group's on reclear, so I can organize it if people are jonesing for something to do now that the expansion rush is over.

Primal only, fwiw

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Is stuff in Savage actually tuned so tightly on the DPS checks that a 9% difference in optimal output matters? I can't imagine it is for anything but World First racing. Like, not yucking anyone's yums - play what you find fun, and if anyone finds it more fun to always play whatever is theoretically the most powerful, have at it. I tend to reactively push back against it just because a lot of randoms will go "REEE SUB OPTIMAL" and kick people for playing the 'wrong' class when the real problem is people parsing grey and putting out less than half the potential damage their class can do.