Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
seems like Gears Collection might be coming. would be cool, especially on PC (where 2, 3, and Judgment were never ported and where Gears 1 UE has been broken for several years due to a Windows update)

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1485642594696802311

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would rather have Fable, but I would be happy with all of the Gears games being on PC too.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They are. I got one cheap from a retro game store that was traded in brand new because people are always selling them stuff they stole at Wal Mart.

My Series S claims that the regular old 1TB SSD I have plugged in for storage is not fast enough "for newer games" and I'm wondering how true that is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably pretty true if it's an optimized Series game since they'll be expecting the speeds of the approved SSD expansion cards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Drive might be fine in theory but probably not over the cheapo USB bus they have

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The internal/official expansion storage devices use proprietary compression to achieve the higher speeds dont they?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

My Series S claims that the regular old 1TB SSD I have plugged in for storage is not fast enough "for newer games" and I'm wondering how true that is.

Technically yes. 2.5" SSDs typically have transfer speeds in the 500 MB/s range whereas the M.2 SSD inside the Series is like 3500 or some such. And external USB is a pretty significant bottleneck at these upper rates of transfer speeds.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just had another great experience with Game Pass. I hadn't played Myst since the first remake of it around 2000, but I saw the newest remake available and downloaded it on a whim. My friend and her kid were visiting me, and neither of them are that into video games, but the three of us spent most of the weekend working our way through all the puzzles and waiting to see what Sirrus and Achenar would say next whenever we found another page. I wouldn't have bought and downloaded the game just to entertain a teenager, but it worked out nicely.

Xbox stays winning

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Laserface posted:

The internal/official expansion storage devices use proprietary compression to achieve the higher speeds dont they?

In my research trying to build one off of aliexpress, it's a PCI4 drive, but in a smaller form factor that pretty much nobody else uses right now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i thought it was just a stupid port size and not special memory

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Electronic Arts & Lucasfilm Games announce new Star Wars titles from Respawn Entertainment

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/electronic-arts-and-lucasfilm-games-announce-new-star-wars-titles-from-respawn-entertainment

quote:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – January 25, 2022 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) and Lucasfilm Games  are joining forces to continue delivering all-new, world-class gaming experiences set within the beloved Star Wars galaxy.

Respawn Entertainment, best known for their work on Apex Legends™, Titanfall™ and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™, is leading the development and production of these new projects. Vince Zampella, Group GM and Founder of Respawn, will oversee this new phase of EA’s relationship with Lucasfilm, building on Respawn’s award-winning history in game development and expertise in telling compelling Star Wars stories.

Game Director Stig Asmussen and his team at the studio are already working on the next game in the action adventure Star Wars Jedi series,
and are joined by two new teams working to deliver additional unique Star Wars gameplay experiences across multiple genres. Leading the development of Respawn’s all-new Star Wars first-person shooter game is Peter Hirschmann, Game Director at Respawn, who has a long and accomplished history with the Star Wars franchise. The third title is a Star Wars strategy game developed through a production collaboration with the newly formed studio Bit Reactor, helmed by games industry veteran Greg Foerstch. Respawn will produce the new Star Wars strategy game while Bit Reactor leads on the development of the title.

“We are excited to continue working with the superbly talented developers at Respawn,” said Douglas Reilly, VP, Lucasfilm Games. “They have demonstrated excellence in telling epic Star Wars stories along with best-in-class gameplay across different genres and we are looking forward to bringing more amazing experiences to the galaxy far, far away.”

“Building on the previous successes of our EA relationship, this new collaboration highlights the trust and mutual respect shared between the world-class teams at EA, Respawn and Lucasfilm Games,” said Sean Shoptaw, SVP, Walt Disney Games. “Fostered by the expertise and passion within each team, we will create thrilling original games for diverse audiences across the Star Wars galaxy.”

“Working with Lucasfilm Games on a new FPS in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true for me, as this is a story I have always wanted to tell,” said Peter Hirschmann, game director at Respawn. Peter previously worked as VP of development at LucasArts, and was executive producer on the original Star Wars Battlefront games. Hirschmann and the team at Respawn have just begun work on the title.

Work has already begun on all three of these projects, and Respawn is looking for talent to join the teams. Additional information on available job openings can be found at Respawn Careers.

“We are huge fans of Star Wars here at Respawn and we’re thrilled to work with Lucasfilm Games on new titles that we have wanted to make for years,” said Zampella. “If you want to make great Star Wars games, you should come join us on our journey.” 

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My PS3 remains connected for one reason and one reason only: playing Katamari Forever when I get stoned. Reroll and Beautiful Katamari just don't scratch the itch the same way

That is such a good game and a really substantial package. I wish Bandai Namco would either release it again (I'm still puzzled over the original game getting pushed out rather than Forever considering it was a revamped best-of) or just make a new Katamari. It doesn't have to reinvent the wheel, if it ain't broke don't fix it. With the hardware the new consoles have however they could craft huge levels with an insane amount of objects thanks to the low poly art style and the loading speeds being so fast would mean they could do some really awesome things with the scaling as the katamari gets bigger.

I know the original creator didn't want to return to the series but let someone else tackle it? I don't think he was involved in much beyond the first game but they still had some great and clever ideas and it all culminating in Forever with levels actually being full of so much stuff to roll up was really satisfying. A new Katamari game would be amazing.

We've rolled up the solar system so call it Katamari Universe or something and have our solar system be the first part of the game before going onto new planets and letting the designers go wild :shrug: I've no doubt it would be really colorful and charming, have brilliantly designed worlds/creatures and they kept nailing the soundtrack right up until they stopped the series. It's long overdue a comeback.

I am so glad that OG Titanfall is still around and Xbox FPS boosted that and the sequel to 120fps on Series X because otherwise this news would be extra depressing.

I think the PC community has started modding Titanfall 2 as well (I saw a streamer showing off some weird stuff the other day) and theorized they might be able to get the maps ported from the first game but Respawn what are you doing :(

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 25, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Titanfall but with ATST's

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I would bet my house that there is an active Titanfall 3/Apex-Titanfall project in development at Respawn. Is it known how big that studio is? Any reason why they can't have Apex, multiple Star Wars games and TF3 in active development at the same time?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, the reason being Titanfall 2 sold ten copies

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Is it known how big that studio is?
As of 2019, 315 people split across three teams (Apex/Titanfall, Star Wars and MoH VR). In 2020 they opened a Vancouver studio dedicated to Apex development.

I would not expect anything Titanfall related in the next half-decade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder which developer can pull off topping the most boring announcement of 2022. This so far takes the lead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They will announce another Just Dance so thats my free square for "boring as gently caress video game announcements"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Soul Glo posted:

I would bet my house that there is an active Titanfall 3/Apex-Titanfall project in development at Respawn. Is it known how big that studio is? Any reason why they can't have Apex, multiple Star Wars games and TF3 in active development at the same time?

Someone commented a while back that TF probably won't see a sequel as long as Apex is churning money for the simple reason that Respawn doesn't want to split their own playerbase.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would seem that Titanfall is less of a Respawn, and more... a Permadeath. :smugdog:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Titanfall is dead. Now if you could please hand over your house keys.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Respawn employee outright said there's no Titanfall projects in development or planned a while back on Twitter. I don't know about splitting the playerbase though since they're two entirely different games and Titanfall is as far from Apex Legends as Dark Souls is from Gears of War.

I think they will be getting closer in the future however since apparently Apex Legends will be getting a Titanfall-inspired 9v9 mode with respawns where players have to capture and hold an objective. Still a very different game without the Titanfall core movement system and the titans themselves. It's odd as well since the maps in Apex Legends look like they're built for titans and all those AI soldiers/spectres etc. to be running around but I guess the same could be said for every BR title. I think I heard that Fortnite actually added a mech at some point?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Battlefield 2042 Drops Out Of The Top 50 Most-Played Xbox Games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dice has sucked for so long

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

they could make 2042 free to play and I still wouldnt bother.

The game sucks. nothing will really change that. its fundamentally flawed in so many ways before you even get to the endless bugs and problems that even without the bugs the game would still suck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s wild that the installment that was supposed to be a return to form for battlefield possibly killed the franchise for an indefinite amount of time.

I can’t believe I bought the deluxe version of it :sigh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Laserface posted:

they could make 2042 free to play and I still wouldnt bother.

The game sucks. nothing will really change that. its fundamentally flawed in so many ways before you even get to the endless bugs and problems that even without the bugs the game would still suck.

I told people it was going to be trash. The reveal trailer was the first massive redflag that it would be really bad. It was nothing but showing off memes, how anyone thought this might be a return to the golden era of Battlefield is beyond me. The entire goal of the game was for people to create viral Youtube videos.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It took an entire generation of terrible Need For Speed games for EA to finally drop the IP and focus elsewhere. We've now gone just beyond an entire generation of Battlefield games that were utter garbage so hopefully EA gives up and doesn't try to revive Medal of Honor either. Everyone wanted more Bad Company but they pushed ahead with mainline BF instead for some dumb reason. Isn't one of the selling points of the new Battlefield that it has some Bad Company content in it?

Just remaster Bad Company 2 like Dead Space and call it a day.

veni veni veni posted:

Oh man that sucks. I dunno if Bad Company 2 is part of the BC sale or if the sale is still ongoing but maybe that will cheer you up?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 25, 2022

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I remember people being worried for Halo infinite because it was releasing in the same week as 2042 lmao

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've kinda fallen off gaming in the past few years, but I recently had The Forgotten City recommended to me. It sounded like something different, so I played it and it was fantastic.

Anyone have any recommendations for other games in this vein? I've seen both "12 Minutes" and "Outer Wilds" recommended - are either of them any good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Outer Wilds is GOAT-level but 12 Minutes is awful.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

It’s wild that the installment that was supposed to be a return to form for battlefield possibly killed the franchise for an indefinite amount of time.

I feel like everyone goes through that last pre-order or launch-week purchase where they get totally screwed, and that turns them to the never-preorder, wait-for-reviews camp.

For me, the last straw was Destiny. Never again.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've kinda fallen off gaming in the past few years, but I recently had The Forgotten City recommended to me. It sounded like something different, so I played it and it was fantastic.

Anyone have any recommendations for other games in this vein? I've seen both "12 Minutes" and "Outer Wilds" recommended - are either of them any good?

outer wilds is right up your alley

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Outer wilds and its DLC for sure

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Outer Wilds is one of the best games of the past decade.

12 Minutes is a fun one-or-two sitting experience. Go in expecting an old-school point-and-click adventure game and you'll have a good time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BC2 is also on gamepass. Greatest BF game ever as far as I’m concerned, but a few years ago I tried it on xbone and the multi was completely dead sadly.

But yeah they had that free trial for 2042 and despite me knowing it was awful I was having fun with it and wanted to keep playing, but you had to buy the $90 version to keep playing. I haven’t touched it since 2 weeks after launch. What a waste of money lol. I hope it’s passable by the time season 1 launches because apparently I have years worth of the dumb season passes. I ain’t holding my breath though.

If nothing else I’ll probably go gently caress around in portal once in a while since it actually has maps from good battlefields in it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks - Outer Wilds it is! Will report back with trip report. Maybe. If i remember.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

EA will have DICE make more Battlefront games to complement their growing library of Star Wars titles, I guess. The BF names may be damaged (both Battlefield and Battlefront) but attaching a Star Wars license moves units regardless of reputation.

As for more Titanfall... is Steve Fukuda at Respawn anymore? I feel like he hasn't been seen or heard in years, didn't even have a credit on Apex AFAIK.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zampella is taking control of the west coast DICE division, so that's prolly Battlefield's chance to get a one up on COD even though both series are kinda waning. Gonna take a really quality installment to purge the aftertaste of 2042 tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is CoD really waning as a series? I know Vanguard didn't do too hot but I thought Warzone (and mobile for that matter) were still huge.