Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I'm still thinking about the potato chip mash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cool Dad posted:

I've got a phobia of my penis being dry, please help

Rub it down with Icy Hot

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Pomme de Terror posted:

Double-post for content:

Give me your garden

AITA for being pissed that my Boyfriend set up a chicken coop in my garden?

Surprise your boyfriend with chicken dinner.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dazerbeams posted:

Surprise your boyfriend with chicken dinner.

Alternatively, take up an interest in santeria.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my girlfriend to lose weight?

quote:

English isn’t my first language so please bear with me.

I have been dating my GF (both 28) for 5.5 years. When I met her she was around 60 kg, I liked her body but found her thighs a little bit too thick, though she was very muscular and I never said anything. During the pandemic she gained 4-5 kg due to the fact that she had to work more (she’s a doctor) and didn’t have the time and energy to work out as much as before. I tried mentioning this fact to her several times but she didn’t seem to care enough to start a diet. She looked rather offended and claimed that she would do it eventually when she was in a better place mentally. That moment never came.

Eventually I asked one of my friends who is a dietitian for advice on weight loss and told her what he told me. She was mad. She told me she knows how to lose weight, it’s not rocket science and she has been working out her whole life while I haven’t so she knows better. She also reminded me of her disordered eating in Highschool and cried a lot that day. I told her that we can go to a dietitian together and that unfortunately I don’t find her “new” body attractive and I also want her to be healthy, although she claims that she is in a normal weigh for her height (around 167 cm I think). I think it should be a priority to make sure we stay attractive for our partner, especially at a young age. She asked me what I would do if she was pregnant or had given birth, but that is a different situation.

The problem now is that since our fight not only does she not act as warmly as she used to, but she has also stopped eating. We used to enjoy eating dessert or takeout together sometimes but now she always claims that she’s not hungry, has already eaten etc. When I asked her to stop thinking about our fight and delete my words from her mind, she said “You can’t control what I think, you can only control what you say. Once the words leave your mouth you no longer have control over what I do with them.” I think it’s pathological not being able to admit that you have gained weight and I find her reaction extreme. I fear that I have created a monster. This isn’t Highschool anymore and there is no need to get triggered by a simple suggestion. I felt that she dismissed my wishes when she didn’t put effort into losing weight but now I’m afraid she might lose the weight in an unhealthy weight. My mother agrees with me that I have the right to comment on my partners body. So AITA for asking my gf to lose some weight?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my bf not to bleed all over the floor after I disemboweled him?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

"My mommy said I was right, surely it is my partner who is crazy."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

Everything about this guy is the actual worst. He likes eating desserts with his girlfriend, but she isn't HOT to him, so he TRIGGERS HER OLD EATING DISORDER and is surprised when she won't eat desserts with him anymore. I guess he wanted her to magically lose weight and still eat desserts? Even the selfish parts of his bullshit don't make the tiniest amount of sense. I hope he loses his dick in a food processor.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Also, all this over 10lbs? gently caress yourself off a bridge :rolleyes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A doctor! During a pandemic!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

God he even says "during the pandemic" like that's over. She said she'd do it when she was in a better place mentally and "that moment never came."

Absolutely throw this guy into an industrial shredder.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

This one starts out strong and then somehow just keeps getting worse and worse with every sentence.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Between the vat of acid and the shredder, we've got quite the Batman fight scene set

What industry is this again?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

Between the vat of acid and the shredder, we've got quite the Batman fight scene set

What industry is this again?

Toilet paper

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

moonmazed posted:

nice take, rear end in a top hat

people having a mental disorder doesn't automatically absolve them of responsibility for their actions

calling them "bad kids" is a bit reductionist but it gets the point across to someone who doesn't want a 20 min lecture on social conditioning and behavior. Frankly it's a massive improvement if you can reach the point where parents and adults don't insist that just beating them is the cure to the problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gf is 5'6", 140lbs.
Haha, only if she's 5'3".

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Pleads posted:

industrial shredder

I tried to find a funny Shredder picture, this will suffice

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
This account is 2 years old and oh boy is there a lot going on:

Mother in law forcing my husband to reconnect with estranged husband

quote:

Hey everyone:

My husband’s father is in town and he’s staying at my mother in law’s house. It happened so suddenly - my MIL texted my husband saying that his dad is going to be living there because he needs to get back on his feet. My husband had no time to react and is feeling overwhelmed. His dad is a drug addict and a paranoid schizophrenic. I don’t want him near our house nor want him to know where we live. I feel bad for saying this as I don’t know what he is capable of. He hasn’t seen his dad since he was about 7 years old. Additionally, his mom is constantly texting him saying that he wants to show the outside of our house to him. My MIL is toxic hence why she doesn’t reach out to me. My husband has told me his mom is toxic. His MIL emotionally abused me and was spreading lies about me.

My MIL is not being honest about her intentions - she wants him to live there so she can get paid taking care of him. She will eventually make my husband take over (he does all the work and his mom keeps the cash). Every time he is dad needs something, his mom texts him that he needs it now. She’s the one that allowed him to move in, therefore, she should be held responsible.

I don’t think it’s right for his mom to force him to have a relationship with his dad. What do you all think? My husband agrees but eventually he feels bad because it’s his “dad.”

TL;DR: mother in law forcing my husband to have reconnect with his estranged father that he hasn’t seen in 30 years.

Possibly more depressing than entertaining but then that's real life I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DemoneeHo posted:

I tried to find a funny Shredder picture, this will suffice

...well, I've found my level. That' just made my night.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Barudak posted:

<sprays you with a hose while smoking>

:fap:

Strawman posted:

*Bursts through your bedroom wall with a supersoaker full of icyhot*

:flashfap:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pentyne posted:

On the subject of surstromming and food chat in general, a big thing with a lot of these delicacies is you have to eat/prepare it certain ways or it just sucks. Vegemite has gone from the classic disgusting weird Aussie food to the big "you aren't eating it right" thing on social media.

To that, apparently no one just eats surstromming out of the can, they chop it up with some onion and eat it on flatbread usually. I'm recalling a decades old episode of Bizarre Foods but the host said the difference between the plain fish and the prepared fish was night and day.

It's the same with a lot of those foods in general. Balut by itself is kind of weird, but you can dip it in certain sauce/seasoning and suddenly it tastes 10x better. Heating it up a bit is also a big part of making it more edible.

Durian smells terrible but you get fresh durian and eat it right away it tastes delicious and creamy. Make some quick batter and fry it then its even better. Meanwhile there's a brand of cheap snack cakes made with Durian that I've tried and literally spit out the moment it hits my tongue.

i agree that there's a lot to this. i was browsing the local giant international foods market when i was in college and picked up some durian ice cream (before i knew durian was "supposed" to be disgusting). it was freakin delicious. years later a friend sent us some durian wafer crackers and we opened the package and then took it outside and left it there lol

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Serephina posted:

LOL holy poo poo move towns and switch jobs without telling her. She just wants her mentally unstable ex who probably just got out the joint to know where you sleep! What’s the big deal?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, I've done the Baltimore-style crab boil many times. It's very good but I don't see the point of doing it in pasta, y'know? And at this point, honestly, I've cut my hands tearing apart those little crabs too many times; all the meat's in the torso.

I don't really like eating meat on the bone when it's covered in sauce. Fried chicken and chicken wings, sure. But I never order goat in Indian restaurants. I make chicken paprikash, and my spouse likes it, but they don't like it when I debone the thighs.

To all the people using shellfish to make stock: you know you can wrap it in cheesecloth first, right?

I bought durian creme wafers once. I figured they would have some of the flavour, but not the distinctive odor I'd read about. It was the exact opposite! They didn't taste like much of anything but they smelled like hot garbage and rotten meat. I had to triple bag them to contain the smell in the trash.

ahahah i missed this when i resopnded. yes! the creme wafers were somehow the WORST

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Serephina posted:

I checked their comments, and ouch.

"Yeah he got diagnosed with bipolar about one month into our marriage. Thankfully no kids. I don't plan on ever having kids. That's what I keep saying and most of my friends are saying to try marriage counseling. I don't want to though. I'm over it."

"Such a long time. My husband is not going to therapy nor taking any medication. He absolutely doesn't want to do anything. He finally made an appointment with a therapist but it is until October 24....one month away. I basically told him last week if you don't get any help, I'm leaving you. I just can't put up with this any longer"

I assume he did get help since they're still married.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

I checked their comments, and ouch.

"Yeah he got diagnosed with bipolar about one month into our marriage. Thankfully no kids. I don't plan on ever having kids. That's what I keep saying and most of my friends are saying to try marriage counseling. I don't want to though. I'm over it."

"Such a long time. My husband is not going to therapy nor taking any medication. He absolutely doesn't want to do anything. He finally made an appointment with a therapist but it is until October 24....one month away. I basically told him last week if you don't get any help, I'm leaving you. I just can't put up with this any longer"

I assume he did get help since they're still married.

lol are you new

of course he didn't get help and of course she didn't leave

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

death to the OP

kill him and kill his mother and put them in the same hole

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to take my hijab off for a wedding?

quote:

Can’t believe I’m posting about it, but I made a whole new account so people in my life don’t tie this to my main one.

I (23F) am visibly Muslim as I wear a hijab (no I do not care about your opinions I’m regards to my religion, keep those thoughts to yourself). I also live in the south of the USA. Thankfully, the specific city I live in is a large metropolitan one, so it’s incredibly diverse and I rarely run into any issues. However my friend, let’s call her Sally (24F), is marrying a man who’s family is conservative American.

Now I couldn’t care less about someone’s political views unless they start trying to talk to me about it or shove it down my throat, then in my opinion they invited me to the debate so they should prepare to to hear my opinions since they gave theirs unsolicited. Now the only time I don’t do this is when it could negatively affect someone else, such as a week ago when I went to Sally’s engagement party. Her in laws were loudly talking about politics, politics I didn’t quite agree with, but they weren’t talking to me and even if they were I wasn’t going to cause drama and a fight at my friends engagement party.

However during the party, I spent most of my time hanging out with a few friends, while Sally’s in laws kept looking at me oddly from the side of their eye. I try not to take it to heart, so I ignore it.

The next day, Sally calls me to thank me for coming. At some point in the call she seems nervous to say something, so I ask her to just spit it out. That’s when she admitted that I made her in laws uncomfortable, and as though they couldn’t freely talk with someone like me around.

I say sorry, but her in laws seem like blatant racists, but it’s not like I’m the one marrying them so if she likes them I hope she has a great wedding and I just won’t come. Now Sally was expecting my help during the wedding, as I freelance as a make up artist, so she asks if I can just take off my hijab for the wedding and do her makeup while not “scaring” her in laws.

Here’s where I may be the rear end in a top hat, I tell her “no way in loving hell would I ever change myself or compromise my religion for a bunch strangers, and I won’t step foot near them as I’d hate to “scare” them”.

Now she’s mad I offended her and her future family, and while my other friends say her suggestion was wildly inappropriate, I did promise to do her makeup for free, and with the wedding only a month away, I left her in a tough position. AITA?

dont worry, a ton of redditors lined up to say YTA for being muslim

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to take my hijab off for a wedding?

My, my. If it isn't the consequences of my own actions and inability to stand up to my racist family.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mx. posted:

dont worry, a ton of redditors lined up to say YTA for being muslim

Uh no they're not?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for telling my brother that his divorce is his own fault?

quote:

My brother is in the middle of a very angry divorce. He's living at our parent's house right now because he can't afford a place on his own. The divorce is completely his fault. He blew money on stocks and bitcoin and other expensive stuff and took out loans and lines of credit in secret. He didn't tell his wife and went so far as to show her false statements. It didn't work as well as it he thought because she figured it out and is divorcing him. But their house has been foreclosed, their savings were wiped, both of them applied for bankruptcy because my brother got them into massive debt on stocks and other wild out of control spending and finances. His wife lost her job because a bankruptcy is a negative in her industry. She's living with her parents too and both of them are relying on legal aid and parents to help pay the legal fees for the divorce. Normally I strive to ignore my brother but lately he's been saying it's not his fault because the stock market is rigged and his wife should have paid more attention (he actively hid from her). The last time he said I said the entire divorce is his fault and he should apologize for destroying his wife's life. He wasn't pleased about it and the next time I saw him he spent the whole time trying to pick a fight with me. He's tried to get our parents involved too all because of how upset he is for me not agreeing with him.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I just chose not to go to my sisters wedding?

quote:

My sister has a wedding coming up this summer. Its not a destination wedding, it will be in a local park/pavilion, she just told us about it recently and told us to expect the invitations, but we knew it was a possibility with as I heard recently her boyfriend asked our dad about how he would feel if they got married (essentially asking for her hand in marriage, old fashioned but I guess).

Well, when we received the invitations, it said this wedding will be "child free". Once I got my invitation, I called my sister up just to discuss the wedding and give her my response by phone. I didn't mention the child free part, just asked about the wedding and how her planning was going. She seemed excited, told me she can't wait to be the "center of attention" on her special day. I congratulated her, but I told her as its child free and I have two sons, I wouldn't be able to make it, I would send a gift with our parents though.

She kinda got upset and asked why I wasn't going to come. I simply told her weddings are family events for me, and if its not a family event I don't see the point (i.e. kids being allowed). Our parents are the important people to be there for her special day, so I don't feel my presence as direly needed. My sister was very unhappy about this, she yelled that I never even tried to find babysitting or come to her wedding. She got angry because last year I attended our cousins wedding, and she feels hers should be more important and one I should want to attend.

Their wedding wasn't child free, my kids were there, very well behaved and it was definitely a family event. I don't feel that I should shell out money to have someone watch my kids, just to watch her get married and honestly I just don't want to. I didn't mention her changing the rule, I just told her I wouldn't be attending. She got angry and is now involving my husband and parents in my decision, saying if I choose not to come she won't speak to me again (her hill to die on, not my problem). My parents would like me to come just to keep the peace, and my husband says its really my decision and he backs me either way. Personally I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat cause I'm not asking her to change anything, I'm just making a personal decision. WIBTA for not attending?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I mean I guess people go to reddit to get a judgment but how little spine do you have that you feel a sense of guilt for bailing on your racist "friend" and her family?

I kind of believe it but it also sounds like STDH.txt

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Grape posted:

Uh no they're not?

mods are deleting comments but there's still been quite a few of them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

I'm still thinking about the potato chip mash

Oh god, me too.

I watched that video someone posted and it just seemed vile.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh god, me too.

I watched that video someone posted and it just seemed vile.

Because you're taking something that's already been properly fried and seasoned and then boiling it in milk.

Of course it's loving vile. It was never going to be anything else.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

mediaphage posted:

lol are you new

of course he didn't get help and of course she didn't leave

:smith: I can dream. Even goons can change their leaf. Redditors... Well, god will deal with them all, eventually. :unsmith:

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
sounds like there's some picky eaters in this thread :smuggo:

kinda considering trying raisin mashed potatos for laffs now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

On one hand its your life, you can do what you want, but on the other hand the person in question is a massive pill that I can't help feel her sisters wedding can only be improved with her absence.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Evil Willow posted:

Everyone’s melodramatic here, IMO.

If your wedding is child free, you’ve got to offer to foot the bill for childcare for guests and not be surprised if people still can’t attend.

However, the OP going with the “weddings are a family event” excuse is disingenuous - “I don't feel that I should shell out money to have someone watch my kids, just to watch her get married and honestly I just don't want to” is the truth, and not unreasonable if more thoughtfully expressed, so they should own it.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Barudak posted:

On one hand its your life, you can do what you want, but on the other hand the person in question is a massive pill that I can't help feel her sisters wedding can only be improved with her absence.

I mean, the sister said she can't wait to be the "center of attention on her special day". So that weighs the rear end in a top hat scale heavily in her favor.