Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wooger posted:

I’ll be happy if I can get Siri to stop shouting at me when I set lighting scenes.

One HomePod in the bedroom: THE SCENE IS SET when I turn off all the lights to go to sleep.

One HomePod mini in the kitchen I can set any scenes I want and it never speaks back to me. Where the gently caress is this setting?

Is it related to the scene name or the fact that it turns out all the lights?

“Hey Siri you’re too loud” seems to drop the speaking volume, but I noticed it was loud again the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah this is a constant irritation for me so I just use my phone now to do the goodnight automation. If I use the home pod she always shouts “THE SCENE IS SET!” Or whatever no matter how many times I tell her to quiet down.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I wish there was a way to plug the Siri update thing into the morning setting.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Binary Badger posted:

Now, when I ask Siri "Hey, Siri, what's the weather for today?"

Old Behavior: "It's currently 52 degrees and sunny, Temperaturea are heading down from 52 degrees to 40 later tonight"

New Behavior: "Weather for where?"

Double post but I literally just figured this out. Open the Home app, go to your home settings (house button) and scroll all the way to the bottom. There’s a location services toggle, turn it on. Weather works for me now.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

IUG posted:

It doesn't speak to you if you're in a room that is effected by the scene you just set. I have "goodnight" which turns off all the lights in the house. This doesn't effect my bedroom, so Siri gives me spoken confirmation that the scene is set. If I'm in the kitchen when I tell it to set that scene, it does it silently.

I have a scene called goodnight that affects all the lights in my house, including, obviously, my bedroom.

And I get spoken confirmation every time.
All room locations are set accurately.

I get different behaviour in my kitchen.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

ManSedan posted:

Double post but I literally just figured this out. Open the Home app, go to your home settings (house button) and scroll all the way to the bottom. There’s a location services toggle, turn it on. Weather works for me now.

Siri told me to do that as well, but I don’t have that toggle in my Home app. I have it under the HomePod itself, but that doesn’t seem to work.

Edit: If you don’t have this, update your phone! After updating to 15.2 on my phone I could enable location services and everything is back to normal.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 15, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo, changing your apple ID password is SUCH a loving pain in the rear end when it comes to HomePods. Every loving time I try to set a HomeKit scene, it says I have account issues and to open the Home app for further details. I open Home, and sometimes an account thing appears, asking me to put my password in. Even when I do, I still can't set any scenes and gives me the same account error over and over again.

gently caress.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Holy poo poo, changing your apple ID password is SUCH a loving pain in the rear end when it comes to HomePods. Every loving time I try to set a HomeKit scene, it says I have account issues and to open the Home app for further details. I open Home, and sometimes an account thing appears, asking me to put my password in. Even when I do, I still can't set any scenes and gives me the same account error over and over again.

gently caress.

Yup.

100%.

How did I end up fixing it? Well gently caress if I know it just started working eventually… like a month later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve tried rebooting and all that. Half the time the account ! doesn’t even show up even though it’s saying there’s an account issue on the speaker itself. Dumb.

I have to activate scenes with my phone like some caveman now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’ve tried rebooting and all that. Half the time the account ! doesn’t even show up even though it’s saying there’s an account issue on the speaker itself. Dumb.

I have to activate scenes with my phone like some caveman now.

Yup.

It was the exact same for me. Luckily it was only my mini in the bedroom because the big boy in the kitchen worked just fine.

Oh I also did a full reset of the mini and that didn’t fix it either lol

Good luck.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How the gently caress do I get this thing to play radio stations? Is that really not a feature?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How the gently caress do I get this thing to play radio stations? Is that really not a feature?

Like hotFM 93.3 or whatever?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can just say "hey siri, play news 1130" for the local AM news and it figures it out

Usually the radio station will say the keywords to ask for on air or maybe on their website etc (station ID might work too?)

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I've had the original HomePod in my lounge since it came out, and have been a big fan of the sound and quality it offers.

This past weekend I decided to grab a mini for use in the kitchen, and I must say I'm really impressed with what that little ball kicks out. Definitely worth the money for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minis are $80 at costco:

https://www.costco.com/homepod-mini.product.100696292.html

When using a pair with an ATV, is there any audio lag? I’ve got a pair of Sonos Ones that I AirPlay to, and the lag is horrendous, like to the point where I just use the TV speaker instead.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minis are $80 at costco:

When using a pair with an ATV, is there any audio lag? I’ve got a pair of Sonos Ones that I AirPlay to, and the lag is horrendous, like to the point where I just use the TV speaker instead.

I need to get a second mini for the bedroom but using one I haven’t noticed any lag.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Minis are $80 at costco:

I’ve got the big one permanently paired with atv and it works well no lag, works well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

priznat posted:

I can just say "hey siri, play news 1130" for the local AM news and it figures it out

Usually the radio station will say the keywords to ask for on air or maybe on their website etc (station ID might work too?)
Sometimes this works and other times it's like "Sorry, I couldn't find news 1130 in your music"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sometimes this works and other times it's like "Sorry, I couldn't find news 1130 in your music"

Yeah, I think I’ve just managed to train it by using the app somehow. Because I have it setup as an alarm so it knows it already.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I like how weather is broken unless you specify where and even then it rarely understands the location you give.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like how weather is broken unless you specify where and even then it rarely understands the location you give.

Is there any fix or am I doomed to shout my city every day

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I changed my apple password like a month ago and my minis are still randomly asking me for the loving password.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this thing is the steel battalion: heavy armor of apple products

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is everything running 15.2 and do you have Location Services enabled in your Home settings?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253470861

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know if I did anything special, but I just say “hey siri, what’s the weather like?” and then it tells me the weather for my city.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MrNonacho posted:

Is everything running 15.2 and do you have Location Services enabled in your Home settings?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253470861

Interesting. I had everything updated, but I went into Home and found Location Services had been turned off? I turned it back on at the home level. Could not find a toggle for each home pod. We’ll see if this works

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It should, going to the new homeOS 15.2 seemed to reset Location Services to disabled on my Mini, re-enabling fixed it so "Hey Siri what's the weather" got me what I wanted without having to say where.

It's a shame the Location Services toggle is located waaaaay down the Settings sub menu though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If you set a timer on this thing, does it stay on the HomePod it was set on, or does it propagate throughout your whole iCloud?

For example, if I set aa 20 minute timer, can I monitor that timer on my Watch and/or iPhone? Or does the timer just stay local to the HomePod?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just local to the HomePod that heard you.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Uggghhhhhh I want to like these things so bad but Apple just has to make it so difficult

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Timers don't sync between your phone and watch. How dare you think that it is possible to sync between Homepods!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Timers don't sync between your phone and watch. How dare you think that it is possible to sync between Homepods!

That is so drat annoying WHY can’t they do that even

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You also can’t dismiss a timer either by yelling at Siri and/or going to the Home app.

I just…..don’t understand the decision making process that led to that.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I have a HomePod in the bathroom connect to my bedroom, and Siri has superpowered hearing from that thing. Is there any way to make sure she doesn't activate when I try to activate her on my phone from bed? I haven't been able to find anything online.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Thwomp posted:

You also can’t dismiss a timer either by yelling at Siri and/or going to the Home app.

“Hey Siri, thank you” works for me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: homeOS 15.3 has been released! :siren:

Apple posted:

Software version 15.3 adds Siri voice recognition support for up to six users in a home in English (India) and Italian (Italy). This update also includes performance and stability improvements.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Thwomp posted:

I just…..don’t understand the decision making process that led to that.

You totally can - 'hey siri stop'?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish they would follow Google's lead on stopping a timer. I miss just being able to say "stop."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there anyway to just send a single app or tab in a browser to play on the Homepod from Mac? Ideally would want to send Spotify or Youtube playing in Edge to the Homepod and leave everything else coming out of my Macbook speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone using their HomePod mini as a speakerphone?

I'm finding that when I place calls out from my iPhone, people on the other end can hear me clear as day even if I'm walking away from it to the fridge or the window.

Yet, sometimes on incoming calls, people say I sound Charlie Brownified and they say the audio is muffled even if I pick up the goddamn mini and hold it to my mouth like a 1940s radio broadcaster.

I think it's because those people are calling on not-iPhones. Anyone else ever get this behavior with their mini?