Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dragonstoned posted:

Its funny because I'm at the point in my re-watch of C2 where the kickstarter stuff is going on and they're all getting blown away by its success.

So hyped that I get to finally see it now :D
A rewatch of the first five minutes of the Kickstarter Q&A, where they were supposed to explain how it was all supposed to work only for the goal to be broken in something like 100 minutes, is still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly it's not the vulgarity that gets me; I've watched the game for years so I wasn't shocked or surprised by the swearing or the innuendo. And I expected some amount of the gore; I knew this wasn't going to be the kind of show where the opponents just get knocked out.

It was more that several scenes felt a little gratuitous to make sure you knew this wasn't for kiddies. Just off the top of my head: Ok sure Scanlan's loving the inn keeper's daughter (complete with topless shot), but did we have to cut back to him going down on her just to drive it home? Or when the dragon is vaporizing people, we already saw one dude just get shriveled, but then we had to linger on the leader having her skin melted off while she screams. Then little things like seeing the bottom of Scanlans balls when his pants fall down, or how so many people just tended to explode/get launched onto things that conveniently impale them.

Out of all the things it’s the gnome balls that surprise me. The violence is a little extra but I don’t think the game ever got that explicit in sex besides mention of bare asses and Pike showing a sketch of Grog nude and Taryon commenting on his penis.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Out of all the things it’s the gnome balls that surprise me. The violence is a little extra but I don’t think the game ever got that explicit in sex besides mention of bare asses and Pike showing a sketch of Grog nude and Taryon commenting on his penis.

I get the feeling that they toned down the sex when they started broadcasting live - the party was called The SHITs pre-stream after all.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Crazy Ted posted:

A rewatch of the first five minutes of the Kickstarter Q&A, where they were supposed to explain how it was all supposed to work only for the goal to be broken in something like 100 minutes, is still funny.

That long, slow pan across Matt, Marisha and Travis all thousand yard staring past the camera never gets old.

Edit: On that note, youtube just fed me a compilation of the CR crew being shocked by their fans. The second half of the video is all Kickstarter related. Marisha's hyperventilating meltdown is a personal favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m15HgCosew

Out of all the things it’s the gnome balls that surprise me.

I have to share a phrase that's been bouncing around my head since I saw that shot. Apologies in advance. Gnome gnutsack.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 26, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TV IV > Critical Role Campaign 3:

Wyld Karde posted:

Gnome gnutsack.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Dragonstoned posted:

Its funny because I'm at the point in my re-watch of C2 where the kickstarter stuff is going on and they're all getting blown away by its success.

I arrived late to all things CR, only becoming aware of it not long before the Kickstarter happened, and while I was enjoying Campaign 2, the ever-growing backlog of 3-4 hours of content a week became daunting and I stopped watching. I started watching Campaign 3 from the start, which worked much better for me, and then also picked up Campaign 2 again as well, since the backlog of episodes only went down now.

So I too hit the episodes in the 50s during which the Kickstarter was happening just as the TV series release was approaching and it was pretty fun to see.

Things have just taken another unexpected turn after (C2 Spoilers) Caleb buys their freedom (and a lot of favor) by simply handing the Dodecahedron over to the Kryn (another Matt-did-not-see-that-coming moment) which has, a few episodes later the crew picking rooms in, decorating, and remodeling a house, and disturbing their neighbors.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

A thought on swearing, violence, and nudity in the first two episodes of TLoVM -- I think the combination of the visual representation and the much more compressed runtime compared to the original format (which has no shortage of swearing, innuendo, violent combat, etc, but is much more spread out across 3-4 hour episodes) and expectations many people have of cartoons inherently being "kid friendly" by default leads to it really standing out.

I do feel like they were maybe trying to set some baselines for where they'd go upfront (several interviews, backer updates, etc, include commentary about it *not* being a kids show, potential networks other than Amazon not getting that, etc). Better to have people who dislike it (or don't want their kids exposed) to bounce off early rather than feel betrayed (and angrier?) when things get dark, messy, or rude partway through?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Quinton posted:

Things have just taken another unexpected turn after (C2 Spoilers) Caleb buys their freedom (and a lot of favor) by simply handing the Dodecahedron over to the Kryn (another Matt-did-not-see-that-coming moment) which has, a few episodes later the crew picking rooms in, decorating, and remodeling a house, and disturbing their neighbors.

i feel like this was the point C2 went from fun wandering murderers to something genuinely interesting, it was loving wild to watch live

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/samriegel/status/1486355302819590147

Can't believe Momlan didn't back the kickstarter.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol straight up spoiling campaign two in the cartoon

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Quinton posted:

A thought on swearing, violence, and nudity in the first two episodes of TLoVM -- I think the combination of the visual representation and the much more compressed runtime compared to the original format (which has no shortage of swearing, innuendo, violent combat, etc, but is much more spread out across 3-4 hour episodes) and expectations many people have of cartoons inherently being "kid friendly" by default leads to it really standing out.

I do feel like they were maybe trying to set some baselines for where they'd go upfront (several interviews, backer updates, etc, include commentary about it *not* being a kids show, potential networks other than Amazon not getting that, etc). Better to have people who dislike it (or don't want their kids exposed) to bounce off early rather than feel betrayed (and angrier?) when things get dark, messy, or rude partway through?

C1 definitely takes a turn when the Chroma Conclave arc starts with Vox Machina watching Emon get absolutely destroyed by the Conclave and just watching so much people die. The violence goes up too like Grog's duel with Kevdak, Umbrasyl melting a army of Goliaths into sludge and then Vax and Scanlan teleporting inside Umbrasyl's own body and trying to rip it up. . Getting the gruesomeness out of the way would help tell people 'Yeah this show is going to be brutal.'

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 26, 2022

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, all the swearing/nudity in the first episodes will turn off the people who would REALLY freak out at the Sun Tree's introduction. Which I'm assuming is going to happen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I guess it's different as it's a visual medium and not just audio.

But man they frequently talk about and include stuff like nudity(Vex flashing people), and like every "how do you want to do this" is violent as loving poo poo. And they be constantly swearing, in the Tabletop stream.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

We're due to see Scanlan taking magic blue shits on the floor any episode now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Quinton posted:

Maybe they didn't want to pull an Invincible episode 1 bait-and-switch where you spend an episode with generic brand Justice League before the last 5 minutes of the episode.... happen. Although I haven't heard any horror stories from people showing that series to their youngish kids like it's a Disney Marvel movie.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Quinton posted:

Kind of reminds me of the Harley Quinn cartoon. It was excessive and over-the-top for the first episode or two before getting on with the business of being a very good (and only sometimes gorey) adult-oriented cartoon.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

C1 definitely takes a turn when the Chroma Conclave arc starts with Vox Machina watching Emon get absolutely destroyed by the Conclave and just watching so much people die. The violence goes up too like Grog's duel with Kevdak, Umbrasyl melting a army of Goliaths into sludge and then Vax and Scanlan teleporting inside Umbrasyl's own body and trying to rip it up. . Getting the gruesomeness out of the way would help tell people 'Yeah this show is going to be brutal.'

Heck, even the Briarwood arc is incredibly gruesome in terms of things the heroes do.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Agaragon posted:

Yeah, all the swearing/nudity in the first episodes will turn off the people who would REALLY freak out at the Sun Tree's introduction. Which I'm assuming is going to happen.

After the first two episodes I'm really not looking forward to that one bit.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Jetrauben posted:

Heck, even the Briarwood arc is incredibly gruesome in terms of things the heroes do.

I remembered watching a montage clip of Vox Machina moments last year to refresh on the campaign for the show and remembered how cool "You fool, your soul is forfeit! DIE! DIE!" was but I later realized Percy blew off the coach driver's hand earlier in the same episode and him executing the Broker was him just further losing his mind and morality.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I remembered watching a montage clip of Vox Machina moments last year to refresh on the campaign for the show and remembered how cool "You fool, your soul is forfeit! DIE! DIE!" was but I later realized Percy blew off the coach driver's hand earlier in the same episode and him executing the Broker was him just further losing his mind and morality.

I mean, the opening credits show Percy just straight stomping a dude as blood flies off him so I don't think they're shying away from gore in the rest of the season. Vox Machina was straight murderhobos with a cool castle for quite some time at the beginning.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

The Sun Tree scene is going to be morbid but it's going to be a great test for the show to balance tone because right after that will be Percy, Vax and Scanlan vs. A Door

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
All the discussion really seems to hinge on gore vs gratuitous gore. You would have a very hard time matching the source material with no gore, but that doesn't mean you have to over sell the scene either.

Also, it'll be interesting to see how they convert table mechanics into things that carry more narrative focus like Pike's healing -such as in failing to heal the kid. Or really just any magic in general. Also the ebb and flow of combat where you'll do less trading hits with lethal weapons and more dodge/parry/thrust. You even saw it just with Grog where he only had one rage in all the combat in the first two episodes and even that came halfway through the fight.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

The Sun Tree scene is going to be morbid but it's going to be a great test for the show to balance tone because right after that will be Percy, Vax and Scanlan vs. A Door

Would be a perfect Mulan moment, just after 4 straight songs, no songs for a long time. But we have the Sampage right after, I think?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Made a thread for Legend of Vox Machina! Enjoy!

eta: I'll also take thread title advice because I admittedly didn't have anything great for it.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 27, 2022

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

As much as I want more C3, this guest battle royal should be a lot of fun

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1486761105850462208

My moneys on Kash or Fy'ra but really curious to see Sprigg unleashed

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm not sure I'm ready for the "SAM, NO!" portion of the evening to be four hours long.

Edit: OH GODS WHAT IS HE WEARING

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 28, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Wyld Karde posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready for the "SAM, NO!" portion of the evening to be four hours long.

Well it's too late now!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Dear god Sam.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Keru posted:

Dear god Sam.

what in the name of poo poo is on his head

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

:siren: One shot starting! :siren:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DarklyDreaming posted:

what in the name of poo poo is on his head

It's Sprinkle, he's finally managed to kill one of Lauras characters pets.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Well that's the answer, it's a venom symbiote :stare:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Sam's doing the loving Hunger Games isn't he. I didn't even loving realise that until now.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Keru posted:

Sam's doing the loving Hunger Games isn't he. I didn't even loving realise that until now.

With knockoffs of his own previous character.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Somewhere out there, a Spurt exists that survived. We need to find them and make sure nothing bad happens to them, ever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Return of the Smellbag

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"All of the sudden, the stinkiness of the flowers fills the room!"

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I've missed these assholes so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I would honestly love it if they could attack Sam somehow.