Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Granted, while I am sure there are secrets to glean, at the same time Chinese tech is always there in many ways. I would say the fear is stripping any possible advantages away from the US by merging any useful tech into existing Chinese systems.

Yeah thats def most realistic thing that would happen. Whether it shows up in their current air fighters as an upgrade package or in a new one is whats up in the air in the scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Granted, while I am sure there are secrets to glean, at the same time Chinese tech is always there in many ways. I would say the fear is stripping any possible advantages away from the US by merging any useful tech into existing Chinese systems.

Between the F-117 shootdown, the Bin Laden UH-60 crash, and all of the evidence of leaks from either the F-22 and F-35 teams or their subcontractors, it’s not like any of the technology or materials are secret, so much as time consuming to produce. By all accounts China and Russia’s new aircraft are very capable, they just entered service later than their American counterparts.

A lot of the Technological Advantage stuff seems to be cope as NATO realized they would get rolled over by Warsaw Pact at any time from the early 70’s on, coupled with the 1991 Gulf War being a turkey shoot perfectly timed to redefine the US military in the public imagination. Seriously - I’m beginning to wonder if the US hadn’t rolled over Monkey Model T-72s would the public still go along with a new Sergeant York every fiscal year?

Read up on the Bush-era conventional land systems projects - all insanely expensive boondoggles that went on for a decade or more! New Amtrak for the Marines - overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo. M109 Replacement (named ”Crusader” while the Iraq War was starting) - overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo. Stryker - mixed results, MGS was an overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo.

Putting a million sensors and computers on a system may not be driven by military necessity, I hate to say it.

This is a public forum, but just the amount of stuff in a NATO artillery formation that won’t work because the Russians are leaps and bounds better at Electronic Warfare really takes the shine off the Network Centric Warfare approach that we’d always have an unbeatable technological edge and can transmit and network anything, all the time, with no consequences. We started training our signallers as linesmen again, after getting rid of the trade in 2006 because “who needs field phones in the age of satellites and computers?”

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Jan 26, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't China already steal the f35 design and then strip out all the useless poo poo and make it a functioning plane

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jose posted:

Didn't China already steal the f35 design and then strip out all the useless poo poo and make it a functioning plane

Yes. They also made a domestic turbofan engine for it, albeit with Russian assistance, while Very Smart Defence Commentators were still insisting that China could never produce a domestic engine, or even handle the machining or production of materials. As proof they said that China was incapable of producing points for ballpoint pens.

Then they said well, it could never be as good as Russian engines (the implication being even those are nowhere near :911: engines), and by all accounts its very good. Then they said that China could never produce them in any number, and they seem to have. Finally, they said China would be unable to modify or update them, but it seems like they’ve been making steady improvements without disrupting production.

What’s wild is that whenever this happens, nobody ever admits that they were wrong. Being a Defence Commentator seems to be the easiest loving job in the world because you just have to say that fan blades or high temperature alloys are too sophisticated for the Workshop of the World to produce, and when they do you get to dismiss it out of hand and move on to the next thing.

Seriously - go back 5-10 years and you’ll see speculation that China was just producing airframes without engines to intimidate the west and for domestic Communist propaganda, that none of the aircraft would enter service, it’s insane.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thing that keeps military budget analysts awake at night is them getting the extremely expensive boondoggle and actually making it work and for cheaper than they ever could. Not an issue for the military industrial complex because now they can lobby some congressmen/senators to buy their new boondoggle thats better than the old one at twice the price.

They already have a working version of a f35 equivalent which by all appearances should start carrier operations in the next few years.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They already have a working version of a f35 equivalent which by all appearances should start carrier operations in the next few years.

Uh excuse me Very Smart Defence Commentators assured me that China could never refit, modernize, crew or sail an aircraft carrier, not even 5 years ago and that it was all a bluff for domestic consumption.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The US spent however many millions developing computer-derived aiming tables and radar-fuzed shells for artillery

The Soviets just crammed 300 tubes per kilometer of frontage

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frosted Flake posted:

Uh excuse me Very Smart Defence Commentators assured me that China could never refit, modernize, crew or sail an aircraft carrier, not even 5 years ago and that it was all a bluff for domestic consumption.

the mind of the Han is too shaped by their Confucian roots to accept that both air and sea could be combined into one vessel, they simply cannot perceive such a thing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It’s for real you guys honest the Russians will invade at the exact time and place we expect them to

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1486351699237289990?s=21

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/EclecticHams/status/1485874644586573824

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Between the F-117 shootdown, the Bin Laden UH-60 crash, and all of the evidence of leaks from either the F-22 and F-35 teams or their subcontractors, it’s not like any of the technology or materials are secret, so much as time consuming to produce. By all accounts China and Russia’s new aircraft are very capable, they just entered service later than their American counterparts.

A lot of the Technological Advantage stuff seems to be cope as NATO realized they would get rolled over by Warsaw Pact at any time from the early 70’s on, coupled with the 1991 Gulf War being a turkey shoot perfectly timed to redefine the US military in the public imagination. Seriously - I’m beginning to wonder if the US hadn’t rolled over Monkey Model T-72s would the public still go along with a new Sergeant York every fiscal year?

Read up on the Bush-era conventional land systems projects - all insanely expensive boondoggles that went on for a decade or more! New Amtrak for the Marines - overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo. M109 - overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo. Stryker - mixed results, MGS was an overcomplicated expensive piece of poo poo.

Putting a million sensors and computers on a system may not be driven by military necessity, I hate to say it.

This is a public forum, but just the amount of stuff in a NATO artillery formation that won’t work because the Russians are leaps and bounds better at Electronic Warfare really takes the shine off the Network Centric Warfare approach that we’d always have an unbeatable technological edge and can transmit and network anything, all the time, with no consequences. We started training our signallers as linesmen again, after getting rid of the trade in 2006 because “who needs field phones in the age of satellites and computers?”

Yeah, in the 1990s, the MiC clearly started turning out mostly unworkable or flawed designs, many of them not entering service even after years of funding. (It happens but the OICW project went on for years and produced nearly nothing besides a grenade launcher.)

I would say the Navy is in as bad of a shape: LCS is worthless, as is the Zumwalt and the Ford class is still not combat operational. Most of the rest of the Navy are a bunch of Cold War designs if not ships besides the Virginia class.

Then you have the Air Force which is intentionally trying to trash some of its most successful planes just to push you know what.

Admittedly, I don’t think most of the upgraded Cold War tech is THAT bad but certainly Russia and China have caught up. Also, yeah the Gulf War more anything was about PR.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Jan 26, 2022

copy
Jul 26, 2007

sullat posted:

During the 100 years war the English and French signed a truce, and so the French told their mercenaries that they didn't need them any more, could they please go away? Instead the mercenaries settled down and set themselves up as bandits and terrorized the countryside worse than the English. So the French, thinking quickly, invaded Asturias and Switzerland for the main purpose of sending the mercenaries off somewhere else to die. Both expeditions were soundly thrashed, so it was a success.

lol this is fascinating to think about. i assume the swiss one was the old zurich war. which was the austrian one?

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

The Chinese would absolutely roll us in an actual fight but I feel like people are overestimating Russia a bit. I’m gonna guess the mafia state manufactured goods built by a labor force drinking floor cleaner might be cutting corners.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

sexpig by night posted:

the mind of the Han is too shaped by their Confucian roots to accept that both air and sea could be combined into one vessel, they simply cannot perceive such a thing

what are you talking about, that's just fengshui

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

deathbysnusnu posted:

The Chinese would absolutely roll us in an actual fight but I feel like people are overestimating Russia a bit. I’m gonna guess the mafia state manufactured goods built by a labor force drinking floor cleaner might be cutting corners.

NATO is completely unprepared for a war with Russia and it's not even close.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

copy posted:

lol this is fascinating to think about. i assume the swiss one was the old zurich war. which was the austrian one?

Not Austria, Asturias in Spain. Here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the MiC has been making Tesla tier designs long before Elon Musk even thought of doing anything with his life besides being a slaveowner failson, the US military is at the point of collapse if it weren't for its marketing campaign that the Nazis would consider excessive

copy
Jul 26, 2007

sullat posted:

Not Austria, Asturias in Spain. Here.

oh thanks. pardon my illiteracy lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

(It happens but the OICW project went on for years and produced nearly nothing besides a grenade launcher.)

That was also an expensive, fragile piece of poo poo that required several complex sensors and a computer to function. It was withdrawn almost immediately from its Afghanistan trial, where most troops reported leaving it in the vehicles or FOB rather than lug it around. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, in both launcher and munition, the M79 (entered service 1961) was a better system.

It’s the perfect example of the MIC running up the expense to do what the French army does with bullet-trap rifle grenades for a tenth of the cost.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I have personally witnessed a man wielding a similar weapon defeat dozens of well-trained, well-armed soldiers. Putin should beware.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Seriously - go back 5-10 years and you’ll see speculation that China was just producing airframes without engines to intimidate the west and for domestic Communist propaganda, that none of the aircraft would enter service, it’s insane.

The defense industry commentariat are like every other journalistic field, in the sense that they will never be fired so long as they say what their paymasters want to hear.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s for real you guys honest the Russians will invade at the exact time and place we expect them to

https://twitter.com/afp/status/1486351699237289990?s=21

imminent russian invasion in 2 weeks forever

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJhHjACjJjA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/CatholicClod/status/1486020369064632325

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/YZ4z0QhD92Y

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I hope Ukraine never joins nato because gently caress nato. Russia is completely justified in preventing another border state from joining a hostile military alliance controlled by the fourth reich, hth

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

deathbysnusnu posted:

I still don't see how any of these theoretical battles between the US against China or Russia don't end with nukes

Like yeah it would be funny if China just blew a carrier out the water but then Biden would get the call while sundowning and that's the end of the world

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That was also an expensive, fragile piece of poo poo that required several complex sensors and a computer to function. It was withdrawn almost immediately from its Afghanistan trial, where most troops reported leaving it in the vehicles or FOB rather than lug it around. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, in both launcher and munition, the M79 (entered service 1961) was a better system.

It’s the perfect example of the MIC running up the expense to do what the French army does with bullet-trap rifle grenades for a tenth of the cost.

Tangentially related, but it isn't just the MIC. It's everything to do with US public sector spending. It's grifting, incompetence, and corruption from top to bottom. Read this short article about one of the most banal things possible, an investment plan for railroads in Connecticut, and you'll see what I mean:

quote:

In effect, CTDOT is spending around $700 million annually on a system that, within the state, includes 385 single-track-km for Metro-North service and another 288 single-track-km on lines owned by Amtrak.

This is an insane renewal cost. In Germany, the Hanover-Würzburg NBS cost 640 million euros to do 30-year track renewal on, over a segment of 532 single-track-km – and the line is overall about 30% in tunnel. This includes new rails, concrete ties, and switches. The entire work is a 4-year project done in a few tranches of a few months each to limit the slowdowns, which are around 40 minutes, punctuated by periods of full service. In other words, CTDOT is likely spending more annually per track-km on a never-ending renewal program than DB is on a one-time program to be done once per generation.

[...]

The desired rail investment plan for Connecticut, setting aside high-speed rail, is full electrification, plus track renewal to permit the elimination of non-geometric speed limits. It should cost around $1 billion one-time; the movable bridge replacements should be postponed as they are nice to have but not necessary, their proposed budgets are excessive, and some of their engineering depends on whether high-speed rail is built. The works on the New Haven Line are doable in a year or not much more – the four-year timeline on Hanover-Würzburg is intended to space out the flagging delays, but the existing New Haven Line is already on a permanent flagging delay. The trains should be entirely EMUs, initially the existing and under-order M8 fleet, and eventually new lightweight single-level trains. The schedule should have very few patterns, similar to today’s off-peak local and express trains with some of one (or both) pattern diverting to Penn Station; the express commuter trains should take around 1:30 and intercity trains perhaps 1:05. This is a straightforward project.

Instead, AECOM produced a proposal that costs 10 times as much, takes 10 times as long, and produces half the time savings. Throw it in the trash. It is bad, and the retired and working agency executives who are responsible for all of the underlying operating and capital assumptions should be dismissed for incompetence. The people who worked on the report and their sources who misinformed them should be ashamed for producing such a shoddy plan. Even mid-level planners in much of Europe could design a far better project, leaving the most experienced and senior engineers for truly difficult projects such as high-speed rail.

Substantial spending projects in the United States, on military things as on so much else, are almost universally incredibly corrupt or incredibly incompetent or both. Military stuff is high-profile because it's flashy and gets in the news whenever the US wants to bomb people, but US spending is rotten from top to bottom and instead of ever improving anything or leading to a good end product, it wastes enormous amounts of resources on useless bullshit that makes contractors rich but never produces anything of value. If there's one big reason why China is going to eat the US's lunch in the long run, it's this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Imagine how much cheaper our government would be if it just employed workers to do work.

It's got to be at least one order of magnitude

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Tangentially related, but it isn't just the MIC. It's everything to do with US public sector spending. It's grifting, incompetence, and corruption from top to bottom. Read this short article about one of the most banal things possible, an investment plan for railroads in Connecticut, and you'll see what I mean:

Substantial spending projects in the United States, on military things as on so much else, are almost universally incredibly corrupt or incredibly incompetent or both. Military stuff is high-profile because it's flashy and gets in the news whenever the US wants to bomb people, but US spending is rotten from top to bottom and instead of ever improving anything or leading to a good end product, it wastes enormous amounts of resources on useless bullshit that makes contractors rich but never produces anything of value. If there's one big reason why China is going to eat the US's lunch in the long run, it's this.

Because this is a topic I've worked on--specifically CT rail and climate resiliency--I thought I could add a tiny bit more context. A huge problem for CTDOT (and DOTs in general) is that they're all stupid political footballs that are handicapped by legislatures from doing a lot of their work in house. Like the article says, it results in huge amounts of planning work being outsourced to consultants which jacks up the costs, proposed expensive rear end boondoggles, and ropes in politicians who want the donations. CTDOT has issues where they don't have the engineering and planning staff on hand that they need to be able to at the very minimum push back on all the dumb consultant bullshit. They're also required to outsource a lot of poo poo to the private sector that they really shouldn't have to.

Which is really loving frustrating because the needs of the rail system are pretty straight forward: new rolling stock, new rails, straightening out some dumb curves and bottlenecks, and electrification and double tracking of the branch lines. We can't even get modernized bridges in some spots because the old swing bridges are "historic" and the local property owners fight replacement. So instead millions are spent on literally reinventing machinery to cast new parts and bearings for bridges that haven't been built in more than a century.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Imagine how much cheaper our government would be if it just employed workers to do work.

It's got to be at least one order of magnitude

It's this. Literally this.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I guess this means the moment of truth is here, whatever is in that written response probably sealed ukraines fate one way or another

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1486380384699011085?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I dunno. Guys who get into terrorism tend to be really dumb. Even the seemingly normal middle class dudes who gravitate to terrorism are deficient in some of their thinking.

In the UK or USA he would've been entrapped and sent to gitmo.

the generally logical sequence of events im envisioning is that while telling the guy to knock it off the police said btw theres free mandarin classes at the vocational center to which the guy responded oh hm that does sound like a more constructive use of my time than learning how to be a terrorist

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Because this is a topic I've worked on--specifically CT rail and climate resiliency--I thought I could add a tiny bit more context. A huge problem for CTDOT (and DOTs in general) is that they're all stupid political footballs that are handicapped by legislatures from doing a lot of their work in house. Like the article says, it results in huge amounts of planning work being outsourced to consultants which jacks up the costs, proposed expensive rear end boondoggles, and ropes in politicians who want the donations. CTDOT has issues where they don't have the engineering and planning staff on hand that they need to be able to at the very minimum push back on all the dumb consultant bullshit. They're also required to outsource a lot of poo poo to the private sector that they really shouldn't have to.

Which is really loving frustrating because the needs of the rail system are pretty straight forward: new rolling stock, new rails, straightening out some dumb curves and bottlenecks, and electrification and double tracking of the branch lines. We can't even get modernized bridges in some spots because the old swing bridges are "historic" and the local property owners fight replacement. So instead millions are spent on literally reinventing machinery to cast new parts and bearings for bridges that haven't been built in more than a century.

Thanks for this, that's a great addition and unfortunately confirms all my prior assumptions about the fundamental problem at hand.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NVUA1/status/1486370892359864327

any day now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/walterlekh/status/1486353068648288260

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1486069001507717126

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont understand i thought we were saving ukraines democracy shouldnt that mean that we need to do what their president wants and not the other way around

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Russia could invade at any moment, and it’s hard to see how Vladimir Putin, after calling up such a large force and publicly and angrily making his demands, can back off now without losing a lot of face. This whole thing feels like 100,000 of Anton Chekhov’s guns hanging on 100,000 walls. Once they’re introduced, they have to go off. The very real threat of a full-out land war in Europe for the first time in decades is absolutely terrifying.
I say to myself as I wake up every morning.

quote:

My first reaction to the news that the Biden administration was considering beefing up NATO’s eastern flank with U.S. troops was, well, Putin got his wish. So much of this conflict has been the West scrambling to react to Putin, who imagines himself encircled by NATO forces ready to pounce and swallow up Ukraine. Now, he’s getting the exact thing he said he didn’t want. One of his demands was that NATO military posture be rolled back to 1997 levels, but now, as a direct result of his actions, NATO is even closer and more bristly than it was before. That’s not necessarily a bad thing for Putin, though. For one thing, it lends credence to his claim that NATO is breathing down his neck—how and why the alliance’s troops got there notwithstanding.
How does anyone take these people seriously.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh I'm sorry, is Zelensky trying to not get his country destroyed?