Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
There are so many x factors that even Valve probably wouldn't know exactly. Not just how many units they're going to be able to have produced but how many people with reservations are going to end up dropping out when they get an email with a one week window to pony up ~$500 for the handheld they reserved last July.

I wasn't even that sure that I really wanted one. I just put a reservation in thinking that I might as well in case I warmed up to it (which I have.)

Edit: with that said I wouldn't be surprised if reservations placed now don't get fulfilled until next year. I think the expected order availability has been saying "After Q2 2022" for a long time, like since close to the announcement.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Randallteal posted:

There are so many x factors that even Valve probably wouldn't know exactly. Not just how many units they're going to be able to have produced but how many people with reservations are going to end up dropping out when they get an email with a one week window to pony up ~$500 for the handheld they reserved last July.

I wasn't even that sure that I really wanted one. I just put a reservation in thinking that I might as well in case I warmed up to it (which I have.)

Not even a one week window. It is just 72 hours (3 days).

Also, for asking when they'll get their's if they preorder, just go to the site and it'll give you your estimation if you order below the price. That is as far as anyone knows. Right now, it is listing after q2 2022, but no time frame on it from there. As an example, I'm in that same camp and I ordered several days after pre-orders went up as I wasn't sure I wanted or could use one. But after some more looking and thinking about it, I changed my mind.

I'll be curious if the system can boot from the sd card slot. If it can, that means one can just double duty the system. Say windows on an sd card for those games that just refuse to play nice in linux.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 'After Q2 2022' started the same day the reservations came out and hasn't changed. I don't think anyone has any clue how long it'll take to get one if they didn't get in early.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the deck can be used as a Steam controller, right? Looking forward to trying that in FFXIV

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Subjunctive posted:

the deck can be used as a Steam controller, right? Looking forward to trying that in FFXIV

Valve confirmed it in the FAQ they posted a while back.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Embargoes are fine but it would be nice if the embargoes ended a week before these things went up for sale but they wouldn't do that because if the reviews are bad they could get cancellations. Fomo and the crazy demand means anyone who got in early need to buy it as soon as they're turn is up and they won't be able to really have an informed decision

There’s a 3 day window between the embargo lifting and the deadline to convert your reservation to a purchase.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just happened to find an unopened 1tb nvme drive for twenty bucks in an Amazon returns bin, so whenever it comes I'm ready

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It won't fit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will if you trim it down some.

Although you’ll lose some Gigs if you do that.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Buy a USB C m.2 NVMe enclosure.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can superglue it to the back of your Steam Deck

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What I'm most curious about is will it be easy or complicated to switch profiles on the steam deck. Can me and my gf share one steam deck and easily switch between our accounts?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kwolok posted:

What I'm most curious about is will it be easy or complicated to switch profiles on the steam deck. Can me and my gf share one steam deck and easily switch between our accounts?
You couldn't do this on any previous steam machine so I'm guessing no

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Why not? You can switch users on steam no problem.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vic posted:

Why not? You can switch users on steam no problem.

Yeah, and I seem to remember an article where Valve mentioned working on making sure the feature worked just fine on the Deck. Plus when you switch account locally, you get to see and borrow any game installed from the other user (with some limitations such as the other person not being online or something like that).

But of course, the real solution is two Decks, to add another coop activity to the bedroom.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
My decent-ish PC seems like it could handle games a little better than a Steam Deck (1660ti on a 1440p display) but I'm tempted to sell my components and pick one of these up anyway, mostly for the novelty.

With GPU prices remaining so high it feels like this thing will do well enough for PC developers to aim at as a performance baseline. Assuming Valve can make enough.

Also, I find it funny that so many Steam Deck video thumbnails feature some rear end in a top hat making a wowzers face while pretending to hold one. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I got a Game Gear game several months before I actually had a Game Gear, so I placed the cartridge on a 1:1 scale magazine photo of the system and pretended to play it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm swithering about whether to go through with my February Deck reservation cos I bought a Switch when the delay was announced. They do a lot of the same things but I have way more games to play on the Deck and I really like gaming away from the desk. I guess I can sell it on if I don't end up liking it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

My decent-ish PC seems like it could handle games a little better than a Steam Deck (1660ti on a 1440p display) but I'm tempted to sell my components and pick one of these up anyway, mostly for the novelty.

With GPU prices remaining so high it feels like this thing will do well enough for PC developers to aim at as a performance baseline. Assuming Valve can make enough.

Also, I find it funny that so many Steam Deck video thumbnails feature some rear end in a top hat making a wowzers face while pretending to hold one. It reminds me of when I was a kid and I got a Game Gear game several months before I actually had a Game Gear, so I placed the cartridge on a 1:1 scale magazine photo of the system and pretended to play it.

sounds like a good plan op. the 720p 30fps machien will make a perfect replacement for your decent gpu that you wont be able to replace if you regret it. take the dive.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

sounds like a good plan op. the 720p 30fps machien

they’re not buying a switch though?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly 95% of the things i'd consider playing on this pile are indies and VNs not on the Switch so hell give me the 30 frames

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly 95% of the things i'd consider playing on this pile are indies and VNs not on the Switch so hell give me the 30 frames

That, and Retroarch. I'm not particularly worried about performances, really. The only worry I'd have is long-term hardware quality, but early reviews won't answer that, we'll all find out a year or two from launch...

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

FishMcCool posted:

That, and Retroarch. I'm not particularly worried about performances, really. The only worry I'd have is long-term hardware quality, but early reviews won't answer that, we'll all find out a year or two from launch...

We at least know it's not too terribly difficult to replace the thumbsticks, which are my biggest worry long-term. I guess actually finding a replacement could be an issue.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

For me, it is terraria and unpacking. Just nice games to play and relax to. If Civ6 adds touch support, that'll probably another one. Especially with the dynamic cloud saving feature.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All boomer shooters all the time

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they’re not buying a switch though?

The switch can't hit 30 fps silly

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically everything I play on my PC which tends to be modded games. I don't usually get the latest and greatest so the lowered specs are not a problem.

I'm planning on using it as a mobile continuation of games I'm simultaneously playing on my PC.

It'd be cool if there's a built-in way to synch the game installation between PC and Deck outside of using the same Steam mods.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Theoretically I'd use a Steam Deck to play less graphically intensive action games like Streets of Rage 4 and all the indie crap that I don't want sucking up my valuable SSD space on PC!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the Deck is going to become my romhack machine

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

JuffoWup posted:

Question for future deck owners: What games are you looking forward to the most to play on it? Like, are there specific games you already have planned in your head to couch/bed/travel game on your deck with.

For me, it is terraria and unpacking. Just nice games to play and relax to. If Civ6 adds touch support, that'll probably another one. Especially with the dynamic cloud saving feature.

I play the absolute poo poo out of halo infinite on my aya neo but the sticks are kind of lacking for an FPS, looking forward to having good joysticks.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

JuffoWup posted:

All the indie games I bought on sale but never played. I wish I hadn't already played Blasphemous on the PC cos it'd be perfect on the Deck.

I'm also much more amenable to playing long RPGs etc if I'm not sitting at the desk so maybe I'll see if Yakuza 7 will run on it.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
So how will we know when we can pay for it? Is it gonna be some horrible "pay within 12 hours or you get skipped" thing? I'd rather give the money now and be done with it. I did the five dollar down payment or whatever but I'm worried I'll miss some kind of window. I'm Q2 anyways.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i must compose posted:

So how will we know when we can pay for it? Is it gonna be some horrible "pay within 12 hours or you get skipped" thing? I'd rather give the money now and be done with it. I did the five dollar down payment or whatever but I'm worried I'll miss some kind of window. I'm Q2 anyways.

you'll have 72 hours from the email they'll send you when your time has come

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JuffoWup posted:

Anything I can. I've been working from home for the last two years on the same desk that my gaming PC is on, so I haven't gamed much because of that.

Lost ark looks fun though.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Here I'm planning on going on a ROM curation rampage for Retroarch, more or less from NES to SNES era, including romhacks. I have romsets, but will need to spend time picking a subselection per system to make it more convenient to vrowse. And then anything turn-based and controller friendly, so things like Tangledeep, Shiren, Wargroove... And depending on how comfy the touchscreen is, possibly more involved wargames/4x games, so Order of Battle, Civ-likes...

I'm pretty sure I'll play a lot more stuff on it, but that's he main stuff I have in mind at the moment.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna play a bunch of RPGs like Bravely Default 2 and the like, also racing games and maybe even wacky poo poo like Crusader Kings 3 on the couch. It might end up being a weirdly good experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

JuffoWup posted:

it's gonna be an excuse to clean up on a lot of the games I've had sitting around in my Steam backlog but never got around to:

Hollow Knight, Bug Fables, Castle Crashers, DmC, Bayonetta, Ikenfell, Katana Zero, MindSeize, Moonlighter, Panzer Paladin, Mercenary Kings, Battle Chef Brigade, Rain World, River City Ransom Underground, Slay the Spire, Slayaway Camp, Spirit Hunter Death Mark, Strikey Sisters, Super Daryl Deluxe, The House in Fata Morgana, The Swindle, The Vagrant, The World Next Door, Underhero, Toki Tori 2+, Vessel, Way of the Samurai 3, World to the West

After I've played a few of those, I'll try some of the more graphically demanding games:

Valkyria Chronicles 4, Sleeping Dogs, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Death Stranding (Valve has featured this one so I assume it will run alright), Yakuza 0, Tales of Berseria, Dark Souls III, Enslaved, Just Cause 2, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Red Faction Guerilla

I've been checking youtube videos by searching for game names + 'aya neo' or 'gpd win' to get somewhat of a baseline expectation of how games might perform at their floor, so i have my expectations in check

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JuffoWup posted:

Literally a bunch of games I can already play on the Switch.

But with mods.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Literally a bunch of games I can already play on the Switch.

But with mods.

And also hopefully without having to buy replacement joysticks every 6 months, maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've had my launch switch sticks fixed once about two years ago. In the US where they fix them for free it's a minor inconvenience because there's not always big games on it that interest me releasing all the time (plenty of downtime). Still, they should have fixed this poo poo years ago with a better design.

Dunno what I want to play on the deck yet at this point. Hope it helps clear out the back log though and lets me chill on the couch while the wife watches shows. Much like the switch but with an expanded library of my PC games.