Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was fortunate in that my parents had taken the time to set up a Family Trust back in 2017, which contained all the legalese required for handling end-of-life care, powers of attorney, advance medical directives and more. If you can somehow get him and your mom to set up something like that it will be a great benefit when the time comes. It sounds like it will be a tough one to make happen but I'd work on it if possible.

sig by Heather Papps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Twenty Four posted:

My mom and I have been fighting this for years since he has always been in charge of the main finances and it has basically come to an impasse where he doesn't want to give up the details but is losing the ability to do so, but the bad blood that would come around from "here is a lawyer to handle this" would likely be worse then just figuring it out if we outlive him and taking whatever hit that entails. Repeated gentle then slightly more forcible encouragement has never gone far. I've had the "we need to figure this out together" discussion with him dozens of times, even "let's sit down and do this right now, no I am serious" but it's always a initially polite but increasingly stern "Yeah sometime. No, look I said so." probably because he isn't even entirely sure how to figure all of it out anymore. Saving his decade old computer filled with all his information from near death years ago and insisting he back up his stuff and get an upgrade was quickly forgotten once he could still just, I don't know, do whatever he does for half the day on it. I admit I don't back up stuff like I should, but worst case scenario for me is I would lose a few pictures and have to redownload some programs and games, maybe lose some accounts and passwords that can be fixed if I needed or ignored, not leave your family in the dark and financial turmoil.

I honestly feel like he has at least a few good years in him and hopefully quite longer, perhaps even a decade or more fingers crossed, but not at the same mental capacity with it continuously degrading, but it all is still quite worrisome.

Also thanks again for all the well wishes from everyone, instead of just quoting everyone since these couple of posts have been long enough I just want to say I genuinely appreciate everyone's support. Things will get by day to day for now, don't stress, but thanks for letting me get a bit off my chest!

In this situation, at least with my folks, I would get devious. I know a whole bunch of ways I could prevent dad's computer from coming up properly, maybe just as simple as covertly snipping the monitor cable. Once it's been acknowledged that there's a problem I'd need to fix, I would use that as a wedge to get in and at the very least back all the poo poo up.

It sounds like a mean thing to do to your dad, but I promise you there are dozens if not hundreds of scam artists trying to do the exact same thing to him.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

FPzero posted:

I was fortunate in that my parents had taken the time to set up a Family Trust back in 2017, which contained all the legalese required for handling end-of-life care, powers of attorney, advance medical directives and more. If you can somehow get him and your mom to set up something like that it will be a great benefit when the time comes. It sounds like it will be a tough one to make happen but I'd work on it if possible.

Seconding this. My parents didn't do a family trust, but they did have wills and durable power of attorney for healthcare. My dad also made my sister a joint account holder on their bank accounts, etc. It made dealing with the financial end of things easier when they passed away. I am glad neither of them had significant issues with mental impairment at the end of their lives. They were good people and I still miss them.

cruft

When my grandfather lost his marbles, he started making really dumb decisions about his finances. His sister did the same thing. My dad was able to step in and stem some of grandpa's losses, but my great aunt's entire life savings was completely gone by the time she died. She was a highly-paid surgeon who'd played the stock market extremely well, and had previously expressed an interest in giving some or all of that to my father.

So, like, this is the situation for which "power of attorney" was invented. You might want to speak with your dad's doctor about it.

Ass-penny

Holy cow Twenty Four, :sympathy:

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
something i've noticed is that horseshoe theory applies to age real well. people on the way out and the way in got a lot more in common than most of us in the middle do. they're closer to the next world than ours and need extra love and patience during that transition. a lot of it is messy and hurts and all you can do is be there for it. pick up as much of the burden as you can carry and hope someone's there to do the same for you when the time comes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

pnac attack posted:

something i've noticed is that horseshoe theory applies to age real well. people on the way out and the way in got a lot more in common than most of us in the middle do. they're closer to the next world than ours and need extra love and patience during that transition. a lot of it is messy and hurts and all you can do is be there for it. pick up as much of the burden as you can carry and hope someone's there to do the same for you when the time comes

This. And, pnac :glomp:

Twenty Four

Thanks again all, for what it's worth, I'm sure there is at least a will and possibly more taken care of, in his right mind dad was always good about this stuff, but knowing "what do we actually have, where, and how to take care of it" is the mystery. To summarize a recent thread and posts, I still don't know how to properly "adult" but this is one of those situations where just faking it might not be enough.

Sorry again for all this, love ya friends :)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

pnac attack posted:

epically good post

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heather Papps posted:

i am sipping a coffee and eating some apple/peach/quinoa baby food i found in my cupboard and watching this and life, you know, life is pretty okay.

If you aren't bored as hell, check this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1ieehttdA

It's my favorite explanation of Kingdom Hearts ever done, the whole thing, in 4m.

98% is true and by the end you won't even been able to tell which 2% was fake.

Edit: And this one I forgot, absolutely hilarious, especially the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ7IxXN9hm0

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 27, 2022

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

Saoshyant posted:

If you aren't bored as hell, check this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1ieehttdA

It's my favorite explanation of Kingdom Hearts ever done, the whole thing, in 4m.

98% is true and by the end you won't even been able to tell which 2% was fake.

Edit: And this one I forgot, absolutely hilarious, especially the ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ7IxXN9hm0

so what i have gathered is that kingdom hearts is about popsicles. they pop up a lot, at least in dunkys vid.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

also the darkness = bees things makes sense to me.

IT'S BEEN A COLD WINTER I'M WORRIED ABOUT MY HIVES.

xcheopis

I... actually laughed at a Sparta joke.

https://twitter.com/Yoda4ever/status/1486368648172556292

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

FPzero posted:

happy evening thread, let me share some music with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5DApVCK0M

enjoy jazz and good night!

This was good stuff, friend. Thanks for sharing.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Heather Papps

hello friend

FPzero posted:

this is extremely my poo poo. once this ones done i'm gonna put on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypdnSS0La7s

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

owns

Robot Made of Meat

Twenty Four posted:

Anyhow, sorry for the rant,

Hey Postin' Pal. Please never apologize for sharing with us.

:glomp:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

After all, a problem shared is a problem doubled!

wait . . .

that can't be right?

Hmmmm.

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

FPzero posted:

this was extremely good thank u

Stoner Sloth

sending you much love :h: and chill and positive vibes friend :wom:

so sorry you're all going through that, just know that we're here for you

cruft

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Hey Postin' Pal. Please never apologize for sharing with us.

:glomp:

Yeah, agreed, no apology needed, unless you're apologizing for not posting!

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

also the darkness = bees things makes sense to me.

IT'S BEEN A COLD WINTER I'M WORRIED ABOUT MY HIVES.

and some positive vibes for you and your hives too :wom: (these arent' chill ones as it sounds like you have enough already!)

cruft

My orbs, I think tomorrow may be the day when we get to turn on the new heating system. I hope it works!

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

cruft posted:

My orbs, I think tomorrow may be the day when we get to turn on the new heating system. I hope it works!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

biosterous

i succeeded at both my goals of halo and nap, a good day

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

sb hermit

cruft posted:

Yeah, agreed, no apology needed, unless you're apologizing for not posting!

forgive me cruft, for I have been lurking

Farecoal

There he go
If I were cold I would simply raise my body temperature :smugbert:

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free
I was talking to teapot in discord tonight and I coined a term for the infectious happiness this forum causes:

byoboplasmosis

Twenty Four

Thanks again friends, you all mean a lot to me!

Escape From Noise

I'm sorry to hear about all that with your parents 24. I don't really have anything to add, but it sounds rough. Hope things work out as best as possible

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Nostalgia4Butts

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im so happy

snow fuckin rules

Robot Made of Meat

cruft posted:

Please send a sample of the heat for me to evaluate. I need all I can get!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

what happen to the butts thread?

sig by owlhawk911

Prof. Crocodile

pixaal posted:

what happen to the butts thread?

you're soaking in it :smugteddie:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
shout out to the CD4011BE quad NAND gate on page 4011

a very useful chip

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

i slept funny if something and my upper back now hurts with neck movement. this happens to me every once in a while but not usually when I'm asleep.

next few days will feel great. oh well

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

FPzero posted:

i slept funny if something and my upper back now hurts with neck movement. this happens to me every once in a while but not usually when I'm asleep.

next few days will feel great. oh well

i killed my friggin back last night noodling with my synthesizer, i need to sort out my ergonomics so i don't hunch over it in a classic mad scientist pose

Heather Papps

hello friend

i wonder do cetaceans ever get spine issues? like if a whale does a big jump and lands weird i bet it's "back" gets hosed up but floating around all day must be pretty comfy

gormless goblin

throwing out their hips. the definition of 'vestigial' means nothing to whale pain :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Heather Papps posted:

i wonder do cetaceans ever get spine issues? like if a whale does a big jump and lands weird i bet it's "back" gets hosed up but floating around all day must be pretty comfy

Whales have a lot of cushioning, which is why they can bellyflop with reckless abandon.