Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

cmdrk posted:

I call bullshit, boat. They never said it would be an RTS.

The rest is still true though.

The RTS is if you have a fleet of ships and you can commando your offline charactors (extra accounts) in space battles from the command deck of your capital ship.

It was said by the Christ Roberts, praise be his bank account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

hello (and holy fuckin poo poo)

Hello to you too.

• expect a tonal shift regarding release dates and additional features absolving Chris of everything wrong
  • this means things will be "coming online" when they are ready we are sure there are no copper pipes about and not at the "tier 0" we have seen them
  • "We want players to experience the mechanics as we envision them, in their heads, as they dream them, not as we implement them." (?????)
  • SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues Chris Roberts management
  • These issues include mostly gameplay but also have serious problems with animation, lighting and texture fidelity Chris Roberts thinking he can make either a computer games or a movie or both
  • Mocap data having to be "recleaned make that pixel blue" at a very high cost in manhours but with little real progress
  • Other problems include VA and story Sandi changes
  • New VAs and actors have been brought in to replace key roles Gary Oldman (been hearing this for fuckin ever since Gary told everyone in the world that he wants out)
  • "It's a tough turd [SQ42] to expel. Very tough. [laughs] It is not coming out. It is staying in Chris's rear end in a top hat for the foreseeable future." Chris has done to many vitamins and is totally constipated but is taking more vitamins to help with it
  • A SQ42 "demo" (aka highly scripted) is making the rounds internally due to investor pressure
  • Backers Cultist will see more and more of this demo poo poo this year and next in their dreams
  • This demo retreads a lot of previously shown things, including the "not-a-joke" sandiworm
  • Base building completely on hold for now, except for Chris and Sandi's new mansion which will be built expected date is sometime in 2025 ASAP (yikes)
  • An initial "plot" claim will be hopefully available before then, allowing the player to set their own Hab spawn point credit card details from to that location
  • These will NOT be freely set, but part of the pre-built game world (no credit card details, no building your own bases it sounds like)
  • Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future ever
  • Over 50 or more (!!!) ships going up for sale over the next few years as soon as possible, or sooner! (this will include variants, so probably not so bad)
  • Server meshing is still dead a con job we are using to help the cultist dream, with no additional updates from the team besides "It's coming along and making progress."
  • This progress means 50 30 to 60 50 players on a server with better tick rates, but no additional "true" MMO features
  • Trading between players is a key focus going forward, as some rare items can be bought for real money and then traded for UEC
  • These will include upgrade paid for components and AI t-posing crewmates
  • "It's not a 'gatcha' thing, it's not. It's more like a unique way of saying, 'I am a Captain of these exceptional crew.' You know them. You've heard of them. "Look at the size of my wallet, I am now Verse-famous."
  • Crafting is another key focus money making avenue we would like to exploit
  • Parts will be rare but can be salvaged purchased with real money
  • Salvage is not a key focus something we can design, code and implement in the game, so you will just have to pay money for the rare parts (lol)

That all sounds about right to me. As always Agent, I think you have hit the head on the nail.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 28, 2022

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

onesixtwo posted:

:stonk:

screens alone, this is a $2k+ setup just to look at jpgs

if i had to guess, based on the RBG in the case it's *also* a zotac 3060-3080 gpu

No need to guess!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HdrfrD (Man, you are awfully accurate about the price of those screens)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes yes... but have you considered that elite dangerous is bad???

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

[*]SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
[*]These issues include mostly gameplay
[*]Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future
[/list]

Gee

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

cmdrk posted:

It is all true

All of it

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

This is all kinds of wonderful, but I’m just going to pull out…

TheAgent posted:

• Trading between players is a key focus going forward, as some rare items can be bought for real money and then traded for UEC
  • These will include upgrade components and AI crewmates

That sounds like P2W. And slavery.

They will love it!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So your "hai guys I'm a reasonable person who is enjoying this game even with all its problems, golly gee!" was a bunch of horseshit and you were actually here to bad faith troll all along. Cool cool

Yesterday the clear plastic bag mask was ripped off. Turns out it was Old Mister Crobear all along...

Elite is bad, people who enjoy Elite are bad, Elite's ships are bad, Elite forums are bad, its game loops are bad, SRVs are bad, its PVE/PVP is bad, its networking is bad, Elite's game design is bad.

Because if Elite is bad, it means Store Citizer is... good.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

• expect a tonal shift regarding release dates and additional features
  • this means things will be "coming online" when they are ready and not at the "tier 0" we have seen them
  • "We want players to experience the mechanics as we envision them, not as we implement them." (?????)
  • SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
  • These issues include mostly gameplay but also have serious problems with animation, lighting and texture fidelity
  • Mocap data having to be "recleaned" at a very high cost in manhours but with little real progress
  • Other problems include VA and story changes
  • New VAs and actors have been brought in to replace key roles (been hearing this for fuckin ever)
  • "It's a tough turd [SQ42] to expel. Very tough. [laughs] It is not coming out. It is staying in Chris's rear end in a top hat for the foreseeable future."
  • A SQ42 "demo" (aka highly scripted) is making the rounds internally due to investor pressure
  • Backers will see more and more of this demo this year and next
  • This demo retreads a lot of previously shown things, including the "not-a-joke" sandworm
  • Base building completely on hold for now, expected date is sometime in 2025 (yikes)
  • An initial "plot" claim will be hopefully available before then, allowing the player to set their own Hab spawn point from that location
  • These will NOT be freely set, but part of the pre-built game world (no building your own bases it sounds like)
  • Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future
  • Over 50 (!!!) ships going up for sale over the next few years (this will include variants, so probably not so bad)
  • Server meshing is still dead, with no additional updates from the team besides "It's coming along and making progress."
  • This progress means 50 to 60 players on a server with better tick rates, but no additional "true" MMO features
  • "It's not a 'gatcha' thing, it's not. It's more like a unique way of saying, 'I am a Captain of these exceptional crew.' You know them. You've heard of them. Verse-famous."
  • Crafting is another key focus
  • Parts will be rare but can be salvaged
  • Salvage is not a key focus (lol)

:iiasb:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kosumo posted:

you can commando your offline charactors (extra accounts) in space battles

Oh yes this is also true. Your alt accounts will become your NPC friends and loyal crew. You can play with their hair.

Also your friends can become your NPCs, like in that Matrix movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJooyFlSKc&t=188s

It is all true, and I will hear no FUD upon it

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Oh yes this is also true. Your alt accounts will become your NPC friends and loyal crew. You can play with their hair.

Also your friends can become your NPCs, like in that Matrix movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzJooyFlSKc&t=188s

It is all true, and I will hear no FUD upon it

Lol, that is over 8 years old and as no relation to the current game yet many backers brought multiple accounts just for that!

What is Titanic view on "Multiple Package Clarification"? (just cos Titanic has been here from the start is only why I'm asking, not trying to set up a joke or nothing... :keke:)

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

trucutru posted:

This op-ed got the Cool Chris award so I think it is cool enough

I've played a lot of Elite: Dangerous and bought a nice VKB Gunfighter / Desk Mount / Virpil Mongoose CM3 Throttle to kill time during the pandemic, since going out was off the table.

Say one thing for Star Citizens, they have legitimately done a lot for configuring high-end flight sim gear. I used a lot of their guides when building a Joystick Gremlin based system to get around some of Elite's archaic DX input issues.

edit: from just after I moved in to a new apartment last year. It's too bad Elite Odyssey killed my interest in the game.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 28, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I've played a lot of Elite: Dangerous and bought a nice VKB Gunfighter / Desk Mount / Virpil Mongoose CM3 Throttle to kill time during the pandemic, since going out was off the table.

Say one thing for Star Citizens, they have legitimately done a lot for configuring high-end flight sim gear. I used a lot of their guides when building a Joystick Gremlin based system to get around some of Elite's archaic DX input issues.

edit: from just after I moved in to a new apartment last year. It's too bad Elite Odyssey killed my interest in the game.

Have you tried buying a Star Citizen branded joystick and flight controls?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bofast posted:

I thought the toilets were currently better at just expelling players from their ships rather than waste from the players?

That one ship that has the space toilet which clips your spaceman's rear end out through the hull is going to lead to so many screenshots when poopin' gameplay is implemented, huh.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
A VKB and Virgil combo are about as close as you can get.

I’m not joking when I say that the deep pockets of Citizens has been great for the joystick market in general. My new setup feels like a massive upgrade coming from a Thrustmaster Warthog.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Erulisse posted:

Oh wait so half a thread going "NO YOU CANT" was like, an okay thing? Not a slapfight invitation?
Oh geez!

I am so sorry for the casualties.

ps
the enjoying part didn't change btw. I'm still unsure how in hell posters itt couldn't get to spaceport/spaceship/else.

Seraph? Who bought you a new account?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

TheAgent posted:

• This demo retreads a lot of previously shown things, including the "not-a-joke" sandworm

Chris Roberts must be fuming that the new Dune film ripped off his fantastic creation. Hardly fair calling it a "retread .. of previously shown things", it's not his fault creatively-bankrupt hollywood can't stop copying all his ideas.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Massively Overthinking: Are you an MMO skeptic or true believer?

Featuring G0rf's infamous wheel.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

marumaru posted:

i honestly dont know of any real games that have consistent gamebreaking bugs that require you to memorize all the possible ways your session can be ended by a bug
there are literally dozens of ways star citizen can throw a bug at you that kills you instantly without it being your fault. it's not acceptable

When I first tried Star Citizen (2019? 2020? somewhere in there) I ended up broke because of the stupid cost on expedited insurance.

Sure, I don't have to use the expedite feature, but when my ship constantly gets hosed due to game bugs, it's annoying to be forced to wait around for your ship. You still have to with the expedite feature, but at least it's shorter.

The ways I remember my ship blowing up or me needing to get it back:

• Trying to open the ramp on the back multiple times since it was not opening. Eventually the ship just blew up on the launch pad. (??)
  • Flying around to complete a box delivery mission (one of the few things that was working reliably), QT or w/e it's called down to the surface of the planet to land, clip into planet geometry on transition and blow up.
  • Getting into a fight with a NPC and having them just fly directly into me multiple times.
  • Was flying around the big city-planet when my ship just disappeared around me and I randomly appeared in the apartment or w/e the spawn point was.
  • Logged out using the bed in my ship, when I logged back in I was just floating in space and no ship was to be seen.

After all this I was out of money from not wanting to wait 10min between bugs to try again and decided to uninstall.

Complete waste of time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

• An initial "plot" claim will be hopefully available before then, allowing the player to set their own Hab spawn point from that location
  • These will NOT be freely set, but part of the pre-built game world (no building your own bases it sounds like)

I could see this. Persistent hangars are coming soon and CIG has been continuously showing off their work on planetary habitats. I could see them combining those two features.

TheAgent posted:

• Overall ship balance is not even being considered until sometime in the neat future

They've been very slow with the rebalancing effort. Weapons are still homogeneous across type and 3.16 finally added shield class differentiation. They still have to balance individual weapons and balance shield archtype. They haven't even touched power plants and coolers yet (because they are utterly worthless and there is no meaning to them at this point). I don't expect them to touch ship performance balance for a while yet.

TheAgent posted:

• Server meshing is still dead, with no additional updates from the team besides "It's coming along and making progress."
  • This progress means 50 to 60 players on a server with better tick rates, but no additional "true" MMO features

It SEEMS to still be on track for end of year or early next year, and just giving an increase in tick rate will be a big deal for people who actually play the game. Nothing works in Star Citizen as it is supposed to because the server tick rate is so low. Enemy AI can't hit you or fight well. Desyncs happen all the time. Everything is just a mess because the server can't handle the load. If it can raise tick rates to a reasonable level, the game will play very differently for people.

TheAgent posted:

Probably why it's been delayed over and over and over again, lol. Nobody tell Reddit, they won't be able to handle it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mellow_ posted:

When I first tried Star Citizen (2019? 2020? somewhere in there) I ended up broke because of the stupid cost on expedited insurance.

Expedited insurance costs are so inconsequential nowadays so that is good. It costs probably around 5000 aUEC on average to expedite a ship and a 3 minute bounty mission can earn you 15k - 20k aUEC. Spend 30-45 minutes asteroid mining and earn 300k.

It can be very easy to earn money in-game. The main problem right now is that there isn't much balance between the different types of jobs. Some tasks have crazy high payouts so you are relegated to only doing those jobs if you want to earn money.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

trucutru posted:

This op-ed got the Cool Chris award so I think it is cool enough

The change in his home is from when his wife kicked him out for overspending on dumb space toys again.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

:(

There's a few instances of this in the Kickstarter alone:

Command and control system.

Space station management.

Some kind of FTL game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

I love how the Cool Chris award is cropped from :trustme: enjoying a vacation on his yacht, all paid for by the backers.

We voted.

e: oh, Titanic beat me to it. I will now seppuku and post a cute cat instead.

Yes but you found the original picture which is even better. :)

Now we just need Mirificus to also find the quote where Chris was never going to go on vacation or on yachts with backer money, only to follow up some time later with this picture of him doing... exactly those things.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

• this means things will be "coming online" when they are ready and not at the "tier 0" we have seen them
  • "We want players to experience the mechanics as we envision them, not as we implement them." (?????)
  • SQ42 supposedly undergoing a huge push for release but encountering some issues
  • These issues include mostly gameplay but also have serious problems with animation, lighting and texture fidelity
  • Mocap data having to be "recleaned" at a very high cost in manhours but with little real progress
  • New VAs and actors have been brought in to replace key roles (been hearing this for fuckin ever)
  • "It's a tough turd [SQ42] to expel. Very tough. [laughs] It is not coming out. It is staying in Chris's rear end in a top hat for the foreseeable future."
  • Base building completely on hold for now, expected date is sometime in 2025 (yikes)
  • Over 50 (!!!) ships going up for sale over the next few years (this will include variants, so probably not so bad)
  • "It's not a 'gatcha' thing, it's not. It's more like a unique way of saying, 'I am a Captain of these exceptional crew.' You know them. You've heard of them. Verse-famous."

Yay!

My thoughts:

Dune the movie part 1 came out and people liked it and there is probably a part 2 coming... so it's time the sandworm Chris invented from the annals of his very own imagination come out again!

I hope we can see some sq404. Mostly I hope people get it. I hope it is like a huge experience of like 1 or 2 missions that take 45m to complete.

Did some other game recently make like crewman nfts or something? I guess selling ai "crew" like nfts to people so they can buy them in the game is logical so they can grift on nfts without being called out for making nfts. And maybe people can get their anime big titty navigator little sister character in their ship and they csn collect all of them to make a whole sister harem. I'm confident this piece will be made super creepy if it comes out.

Glad crafting is coming. This is another one of those big "intro to game design" things people love to do when they do their survival game mechanics tutorials... so it's pretty logical for all our full sail buddies to jump to this next. Also, I hate crafting in a game and it makes almost no sense at all in a game trying to be "realistic" because in reality nobody rubs sticks and rocks together and makes a pickaxe.

Unless you are like those YouTube guys who live in a forest making the underground Taj Mahal complete with a slide and swimming pool.

Those guys should take over development of star citizen and you'd probably get something done.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mellow_ posted:

• Trying to open the ramp on the back multiple times since it was not opening. Eventually the ship just blew up on the launch pad. (??)
  • Flying around to complete a box delivery mission (one of the few things that was working reliably), QT or w/e it's called down to the surface of the planet to land, clip into planet geometry on transition and blow up.
  • Getting into a fight with a NPC and having them just fly directly into me multiple times.
  • Was flying around the big city-planet when my ship just disappeared around me and I randomly appeared in the apartment or w/e the spawn point was.
  • Logged out using the bed in my ship, when I logged back in I was just floating in space and no ship was to be seen.

never happened to me or my friends, fudster! buy an ssd (and an idris!)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Lol, that is over 8 years old and as no relation to the current game yet many backers brought multiple accounts just for that!

What is Titanic view on "Multiple Package Clarification"? (just cos Titanic has been here from the start is only why I'm asking, not trying to set up a joke or nothing... :keke:)

So back in the day I believe this was coined as "agent smithing" if I recall.

Players were encouraged to buy a variety of characters so they and their friends could interact in a variety of ways. When you log off your character could also keep going without you, basically.

This concept slowly ran into problems though as people started to question what happens if you die, or what happens to your ship if you log out, or how it would work in general. All questions that cig never directly answered of course so people just got more crazy about it until it ultimately faded away into obscurity like the repair system where you manually repaired your ship with different kinds of metals and all this materials impacted your ship in some way and how you reinforced weak sections.

The other, more player-happy version of agent smithing was your buddy could have some NPCs aboard their ship and you could possess them and play as those NPCs without fear of losing your main.

Overall though, the concept people wanted with it was they'd have their king guy aboard their main ship, and then play their alts with other packages to do other things in what, they dreamed, their massive fleet. All their mini-me characters would go around and do stuff to enrich their main player who remained safe aboard the bridge of their super chariot that was nigh impenetrable.

All this stuff changed and morphed over like multiple years, basically from one time where CR talked about the agent smith concept. Hope this helps I don't know. :)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I just wanted jokes about dealing with "multiple packages"

You know, crude doodle jokes.

You instead just told the RSI truth of the Agent Smithing (it's true, all of what she said.)

Where can I get a refund on my bad joke set up?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

TheAgent posted:

It kind of reminds me of building the pyramids. They had this grand amazing design of marble and gold, but in reality after 10 years they are standing there looking at the world biggest triangular pile of rubble and they are petrified of showing it to anyone. Its too much effort to fix it, and too much effort to start again so they are well and truly goat hosed.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

no mention of theatres of war, so must be all fake

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

cmdrk posted:

Pixelate posted:

It is all true

All of it

Kosumo posted:

The RTS is if you have a fleet of ships and you can commando your offline charactors (extra accounts) in space battles from the command deck of your capital ship.

It was said by the Christ Roberts, praise be his bank account.

Okay you got me fudsters.

The Titanic, I hope you accept my apologies. May you always sail true.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 28, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cmdrk posted:

e: oh, Titanic beat me to it. I will now seppuku and post a cute cat instead.

That cat needs a bigger sink.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
has it been leaked yet that chris is no longer the director of star citizen

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nawledgelambo posted:

He never was?

He's the director of SQ42, SC has always been just a means to that.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

nawledgelambo posted:

I honestly hope that on the day this happens, we only find it out because someone spots a tiny "The Mess Hall scene has been cancelled" in one of those extraordinarily long and overpadded "progress" reports they put out. And maybe TheAgent will be told about the raucous, all-day-all-night party the CIG staffers are throwing to celebrate that.

(But I think Chris won't be able to resist pulling a Lord British when he leaves, and will write an open letter to point out that he was only ever a creative consultant, he had no responsibility or involvement in the company beyond being an Ideas Guy.)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Erullise why did you play slite dangerous for over 1,000 hours if it has no gameplay?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

But quarterly Pillar (videos*) talks would let you know way before Chris is going to leave.

* They come out four times a year since mid 2019!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

commando in tophat posted:

There is also that crime that it didn't only ran one season

Uhh Battlestar 1980 doesn't count

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
ELE soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Erulisse posted:

I had a weird death while running on stairs.
Then in same spot an hour later.
It turns out I was running in heavy armour (entire station run through, its a long way) and didn't notice character's pulse being like 220+ something and dying from that both times.

Editor's note: it was from documented poor physics interaction between players and physical surfaces which was causing fatal "collisions" suffered by sprinting players who were traversing along staircases that could clip the player fatally

There was a span of 2 patches where players were cautioning each other to avoid sprinting in station and especially on MT, especially now that full item loss on death was in