Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AnEdgelord posted:

Halflings are part of Dogs of War as well
Halflings deserve a full army list (4 LLs) and their own minicampaign. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

My favorite moron in a Legend stream was a dude a year or two ago who sent a donation with a message asking what's a chad game to play and if GAME JOURNOS hate it, basically giving money asking for a validating high five. And Legend, not being terminally online, was just like, "... What? I don't really get it. But thanks for the donation." Legend is a decent guy, but video games combined with Warhammer brings along a lot of chuds no matter what.

Legend is a unique blend of hilarious and infuriatingly boring. When he gets a $10 donation asking if he’s enjoying WH3 and he says “that’s too close to a review, I’ll talk about it when I put out my review” I can’t help but laugh. When he spend ten minutes dithering around so his army stays at 95% health instead of 87%, but it’s late game and he doesn’t really need to worry about getting weak enough that AI’s will war dec him, it’s boring as hell but at least I can just do something else for a bit.

I am much more excited than I thought I would be for 3 though, everything looks great.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tzeentch looks loving sweet.

Lmao you can grab cities from guys you arent even warring

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When I switched onto Legend's stream today, he was powerleveling a Herald by having it repeatedly attack a full Dwarf army with only a Beast of Nurgle for accompaniment, and then immediately retreating.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

When I switched onto Legend's stream today, he was powerleveling a Herald by having it repeatedly attack a full Dwarf army with only a Beast of Nurgle for accompaniment, and then immediately retreating.

I just got done watching that, he summoned a lord from an empty city being attacked by dwarves, leveled the lord to 15, and smashed the dwarves in the same turn. It's tedious as hell but I'm pretty impressed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Forget Ind, Nippon, etc. The real question is when are we gonna get Straya with kangalry, dingos, bunyips and wobbegongs?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mordja posted:

Halflings deserve a full army list (4 LLs) and their own minicampaign. :colbert:

oh so it has to be a minicampaign, huh wiseguy?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaleski posted:

I just got done watching that, he summoned a lord from an empty city being attacked by dwarves, leveled the lord to 15, and smashed the dwarves in the same turn. It's tedious as hell but I'm pretty impressed

Yep, that's the most Legend poo poo ever. He always goes out of his way to abuse and break the game. It's just how he is, which is fine, it's just that people take his opinion as absolute, immutable bible because he actually is incredibly knowledgeable; yet his playstyle is boring, in my opinion. I get that the appeal is to crack the game like an egg and really abuse it, but I just want to watch my mans and the other mans beat the poo poo out of each other.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is it time for Legend discourse again?

No one has to play like him. No one is gonna tell you that you are wrong for not playing like him. Legend himself tells people that they can have fun playing completely unlike him.

I don't get why every few days we have to melt down into 'I don't hate Legend but the way he plays is stinky and wrong and I'll never do it'. I don't think anyone has ever said you have to do that.

Dude likes his cheese and pushing the absolute limits of the game system to try to get the smallest advantage, and that's the kind of audience he has built up. His whole brand is tied up in how he plays, there are plenty of other total war streamers: but he has his own audience that doesn't crossover nearly as much as you might expect.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KittyEmpress posted:

No one has to play like him. No one is gonna tell you that you are wrong for not playing like him. Legend himself tells people that they can have fun playing completely unlike him.

I don't get why every few days we have to melt down into 'I don't hate Legend but the way he plays is stinky and wrong and I'll never do it'. I don't think anyone has ever said you have to do that.

Dude likes his cheese and pushing the absolute limits of the game system to try to get the smallest advantage, and that's the kind of audience he has built up. His whole brand is tied up in how he plays, there are plenty of other total war streamers: but he has his own audience that doesn't crossover nearly as much as you might expect.

There is only one correct way to have fun in a video game. In this essay I will prove that boring tryhard nerds are the only ones who set difficulty above normal

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The worst thing about Legend is that his gameplay videos convinced a bunch of people that over-optimization, cheese and breaking the game is the only way you can play on Legendary/Very Hard, when it really, really isn't.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I just go back to the time he did the infinite Gotrek exploit to summon 30+ Gotreks and played a campaign exclusively with the Gotreks (and Thorgrim).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I woulda been more hyped for Ind before cathay was fully revealed, now we know it'll just be the first things 10 westerners can name about India off the top of their head.

Elephants and tigers, some kind of cow support unit, a big blue general with multiple arms weilding swords, some infantry in turbans and a Lore of Karma.

I'll still preorder it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You forgot gurkhas

Who by rights should be the best infantry of their type

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Communist Thoughts posted:

I woulda been more hyped for Ind before cathay was fully revealed, now we know it'll just be the first things 10 westerners can name about India off the top of their head.

Elephants and tigers, some kind of cow support unit, a big blue general with multiple arms weilding swords, some infantry in turbans and a Lore of Karma.

I'll still preorder it

Why do you badmouth a cow unit? Beastmen already have cows and they rule.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm happy as long as we don't get loving Shogun 2 clone Nippon. I know lots of people want literal Shogun 2 clone Nippon too, which makes me even angrier. Please by god any kind of fantasy Japan besides that. This is the hill I die on.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'll still preorder it

That'd be awesome yes

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Yes, why the gently caress are we talking about the streamers who are the only ones who have access to the game this thread is about? Especially why would we talk about the ones that are quite popular, riding the algorithm into your suggestions, only to make incorrect claims about the game that then get transferred to this thread and I imagine full scale panic threads at Reddit. He plays Nurgle and gets rid of everything but the easiest loving units to use and then screams Nurgle can do NOTHING vs Tzeentch. (Turin reports Nurgle is fine, maybe some problems on release with speed and is a hard counter to Khorne by the way) But, sorry, this isn't relevant.

Let's speculate about DLC on the game that isn't released yet. Here are my thoughts on were-tigers in Ind.......

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Also we started on this conversation because someone made a claim that an ability should be removed because legend abused it for half an hour.

What would be left in the game if we applied that criteria?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

grail reliquae

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twigand Berries posted:

Yes, why the gently caress are we talking about the streamers who are the only ones who have access to the game this thread is about? Especially why would we talk about the ones that are quite popular, riding the algorithm into your suggestions, only to make incorrect claims about the game that then get transferred to this thread and I imagine full scale panic threads at Reddit. He plays Nurgle and gets rid of everything but the easiest loving units to use and then screams Nurgle can do NOTHING vs Tzeentch. (Turin reports Nurgle is fine, maybe some problems on release with speed and is a hard counter to Khorne by the way) But, sorry, this isn't relevant.

Let's speculate about DLC on the game that isn't released yet. Here are my thoughts on were-tigers in Ind.......

Legend screams and is very bad at the game and boring, but Turin, he of the big chungus, is correct and smart.

(they are both enjoyable)

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Theswarms posted:

Also we started on this conversation because someone made a claim that an ability should be removed because legend abused it for half an hour.

What would be left in the game if we applied that criteria?

I just wish streamers would stop abusing nurglings. Nurglings are awesome, but I only watch this stuff when it's release time and very few streamers seem to understand that the idea is to showcase the units and abilities. Like turn one on Tzeentch Janet on Occasion showed what teleport stance is all about even though it's a bad idea and unnecessary to do that on turn one. But now I know how teleport stance works! And I know how nurglings work!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Legend screams and is very bad at the game and boring, but Turin, he of the big chungus, is correct and smart.

(they are both enjoyable)

Turn watches other people play and tries different strategies.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I don't think CA is obligated to balance the game around legendary cheese at all. Let them have their fun with it, and leave things at a level where they'll be the most fun for most people.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Turin is my favorite. He has baseball announcer voice

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does Turin still speak in nothing but memes and catchphrases? He used to be ok but I think at some point idiots started giving him way too much positive feedback every time he said a catchphrase and by the time I gave up trying to watch his multiplayer streams it was unusual to hear him say a normal sentence.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Does Turin still speak in nothing but memes and catchphrases? He used to be ok but I think at some point idiots started giving him way too much positive feedback every time he said a catchphrase and by the time I gave up trying to watch his multiplayer streams it was unusual to hear him say a normal sentence.

he is a former school coach

it wasn't the viewers that did this to him

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

he is a former school coach

it wasn't the viewers that did this to him

Nah, I've watched enough of his multiplayer streams (they make pretty alright second-monitor content that I alternate engagmenet levels on when playing paradox games and such) to know that's not the case, he was an athletic director for a non-profit that put on sports events. So not quite a coach.

e: Also IIRC he didn't actually play much until a year or two ago, and almost purely did commentary because of nerve damage in his hands that he recently got some surgery for.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 28, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's a shame he's seems like a very nice, personable guy and when he speaking normally he does pretty good commentary but I just can't listen to it.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Lt. Lizard posted:

The worst thing about Legend is that his gameplay videos convinced a bunch of people that over-optimization, cheese and breaking the game is the only way you can play on Legendary/Very Hard, when it really, really isn't.

But then sometimes he likes to have fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e36ceB1Uh_8

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Okay... so the great unclean one has an attack animation where it turns around and poops out (what I think are) Nurglings.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kazzah posted:

We who are bathed in the glorious light of Sigmar refuse the entreaties of all the demons from the north, except the purple bitches with the crab claws, they make good points sometimes

Now I want to play Slaanesh first again.

So many factions I’m excited about playing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Legend of Total war is the only WH2 streamer I’ve come across that mostly talks like a normal straitforward person and explains the thinking behind his decisions. I wish more people did.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Okay... so the great unclean one has an attack animation where it turns around and poops out (what I think are) Nurglings.

Yes. There is a clip on reddit of a nurgling having the most wonderful time beneath this and making snow angels in the detritus.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

doingitwrong posted:

Legend of Total war is the only WH2 streamer I’ve come across that mostly talks like a normal straitforward person and explains the thinking behind his decisions. I wish more people did.

I like when he switches to Ikit Claw voice because that means he's enjoying himself and I think that's always something important to get across when making watchable streams.
I get a lot out of his saving a disaster campaign videos because he's pretty good at dissecting what the player did wrong and helps me improve my gameplay experience. So while I don't have to switch out army commanders to get rid of a forced march malus when I'm about to be ambushed by a Skaven stack, I also have a better idea about how the AI is thinking and how it makes it's decisions, and can work better to counter that.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Theswarms posted:

Rather than removing them, just putting a cap on number of uses would be fine instead. The cap can even be set very high so that you would never run into it unless you are explicitly trying to exploit the ability.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Gadfly posted:

Rather than removing them, just putting a cap on number of uses would be fine instead. The cap can even be set very high so that you would never run into it unless you are explicitly trying to exploit the ability.
That strategy will only work against the AI, so it's not a problem for multiplayer. There is no exploit. It's someone having fun in their single player game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I understand trying to prevent people from optimizing the fun out of the game. I think there are several more prominent things that should be done first besides such a very clearly tedious option. Most people don't waste a entire army's ammunition supply with a single lord because it is optimal, because it is also so clearly tedious. Same with this "exploit".

Clearly dominant or overpowered strategies that are easier to do or less tedious to do are where CA should focus, because those are the areas where people can (generally) find themselves optimizing the fun out of things without meaning to. Something like Legend's is a very deliberate choice to deliberately be optimal despite any and all inefficiencies or tedium, and most people eventually don't.

Constantly prioritizing AP archers until the game becomes "lightning strike and then focus fire down the enemy army" is something a non-optimizing player can arrive at individually and is a far bigger problem for "optimization at the expense of fun" imo. Also easier to accidentally do or not realize that just turning down the difficulty would alleviate that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gah is TW3 out yet??

Also how is Kislev? I've seen a fair bit of cathay and the daemons but do we know how they play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sadly Kislev isn't allowed to be shown off at all until like the week before release. Trust me, I'm jonesing for some Kislev videos too! They did put a five minute video out the other day that briefly went over a few mechanics on the Total War Youtube channel