Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably due to the 3D. Unless you were James Cameron a lot of those shot in 3D films looked mega cheap and smeary as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Maybe it's marketing too? I remember the movie suddenly being all over a random episode of a German soap opera. Like, there were posters everywhere and characters all but turned to the camera to say "Hey I won tickets to Pirates of the Carribean 4: Salazar's revenge" or some poo poo, they probably didn't do that for free.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing isn't factored in a movie's production budget. A rule of thumb for marketing budgets is that's usually equal to the movie's stated production budget, which is why any movie that doesn't make at least twice its budget is considered a "flop".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The budget breakdown of The Village has been floating around for a while, shows a good example of where the money goes.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The "above-the-line" vs "below-the-line" costs feel like the key thing IMHO. Wonder if that 1/1 ratio still holds up or has skewed towards the former.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured they just spend more money on poo poo past the point of diminishing returns that they don't actually know what to do with.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The budget breakdown of The Village has been floating around for a while, shows a good example of where the money goes.

drat, M. Night made BANK on this one. Only 400k for "director," but he also scored for writer and producer (1 of 4). And SEVEN MILLION for story rights! Holy poo poo

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

AceOfFlames posted:

Marketing isn't factored in a movie's production budget. A rule of thumb for marketing budgets is that's usually equal to the movie's stated production budget, which is why any movie that doesn't make at least twice its budget is considered a "flop".

Partly it's the marketing budget, partially because most movies (unless you're a Disney property) have a 50-50 split with the movie theaters on box office revenues in the US.

ALFbrot posted:

drat, M. Night made BANK on this one. Only 400k for "director," but he also scored for writer and producer (1 of 4). And SEVEN MILLION for story rights! Holy poo poo

This looks like basically a "pay or play" contract in another form. "We'll give you about $8 million under the contract, and we'll guarantee the lion's share by paying you out as early in the process as possible." Probably a little less than they would pay if they gave him a "full" salary for each role, and protects him if he gets fired somewhere along the line.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 27, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AceOfFlames posted:

My guess is studio executive salaries and Hollywood Accounting going into overdrive.
I can definitely see them rolling 199x-era "MK Sequel" costs into this just because why the gently caress not.

Also the CGI costs can still be obscene AND bad because CGI is a function of time and rushed, overworked people can't magic up more time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They also just sometimes spend hundreds of millions of dollars on making poo poo that just looks bad.

Reshoots and development changes can do it too, like making assets and then trashing them because someone had a bad day and wanted to do something different, or the script kept getting changed and they don't have any need for it anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

The Village was probably where his hype reached it's highest level. The Village wasn't a bomb by any means, but it was the beginning of him losing a bit of that shine and then of course we all know what happened after that. But when he was making his deal for The Village he was doing it with the clout of a guy who was 3 for 3 in terms of making mid-budget films that brought in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also it's a good look at why Hollywood has transitioned into forever milking franchises. Buying "good" ideas is expensive!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AceOfFlames posted:

The "above-the-line" vs "below-the-line" costs feel like the key thing IMHO. Wonder if that 1/1 ratio still holds up or has skewed towards the former.

I imagine below the line would have slowly grown to be the bigger piece. Salaries above and below have been relatively flat since then but the cost of food and housing have increased dramatically.

^^^^^ The move to digital sets too, $5.5M to build and strike the set for The Village. Might be a little higher than average since they built an actual village, but still.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 27, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also it's a good look at why Hollywood has transitioned into forever milking franchises. Buying "good" ideas is expensive!

Not really that expensive in terms of big movie budgets. What's really expensive is when nobody goes to see your innovative original content

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reshoots and development changes can do it too, like making assets and then trashing them because someone had a bad day and wanted to do something different, or the script kept getting changed and they don't have any need for it anymore.

Yeah, given how literally every major production has endless reshoots nowadays and is all slathered in CGI, you can probably spend loads just going through countless iterations based on the latest whim of the producer or the focus group.

I mean

Never forget

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The movie would’ve been better if he looked like that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Can only imagine the back and forth with the director, apparently that design was already a compromise. Kinda funny how a lot of Hollywood has trouble with having explicitly cartoony designs next to real people and think they need to look 'realistic', even if the result is gross and appeals to nobody. And the redesign was just going straight back to basics that had worked for 30 years for a reason.

Actually also comes to mind that Detective Pikachu oddly enough threaded that needle- the designs got some bad reactions in early stills but worked fine in motion. Also pretty funny that they got that fan artist who drew creepy awesome 'realistic' detailed designs on board for concept art. You can tell the difference when they actually have a solid idea in mind for translating the game designs for iconic critters to appear alongside live-action humans and actually try to split the difference.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

The movie would’ve been better if he looked like that

i desperately hope that more of it was rendered and someday leaks

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/Schwarzenegger/status/1486761095356248064

It's a commercial but lol that they have been given movie status for the past few years

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's a commercial but lol that they have been given movie status for the past few years

Pretty apt character for him to play.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Working on Detective Pikachu and Sonic back-to-back was definitely an interesting experience. I think the difference was that all the Pokemon designs had to be approved by The Pokemon Company, and we had like a year of just building Pokemon assets before actual shot-work began. The volume of different creatures also probably helped, since there wasn't time to fiddle with any particular design, and just making them look like they do in the game was the easiest path to approval.

Since Sonic was the only character in his movie, there was more room for back-and-forth, which led to a lot of iterations and compromises. Jeff Fowler wanted Sonic to look like a real animal (there was even some cute concept art of Sonic just being an actual upright hedgehog), whereas Sega was concerned about specific elements of his design being included. Like, Sega was insistent that Sonic's mono-eye be represented in the character, which was eventually bargained down to a strip of white fur above his nose that "suggests" it.
Bringing Tyson Hesse on to lead the redesign was absolutely the right choice - He came out of the gate with notes and diagrams of how Sonic's skull should work, what shape his eyeballs should be, and how his limbs should thicken as they get towards his hands and feet to ease into his more cartoonish proportions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I know it’s Twitter, but that first reply is some absolute loving galaxy brain poo poo. Who the gently caress would ever want “a more serious mr freeze” film when the entire reason anyone even remembers Arnold’s Freeze is because of the goofy rear end puns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know it’s Twitter, but that first reply is some absolute loving galaxy brain poo poo. Who the gently caress would ever want “a more serious mr freeze” film when the entire reason anyone even remembers Arnold’s Freeze is because of the goofy rear end puns.

Batman nerds love the animated series version of Mr. Freeze where he was a lot more dour and serious(Although there were also puns), so I imagine that's what they're thinking of.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Batman nerds love the animated series version of Mr. Freeze where he was a lot more dour and serious(Although there were also puns too), so I imagine that's what they're thinking of.

Sure, as do I, but there’s no way I’d want Arnold playing that version of the character. If I’ve got Arnold putting the blue face paint back on for some hypothetical movie, you better believe he’ll be campy as hell and blasting puns every line.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

i desperately hope that more of it was rendered and someday leaks

#ReleaseTheSanicCut

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Robot Style posted:

Working on Detective Pikachu and Sonic back-to-back was definitely an interesting experience. I think the difference was that all the Pokemon designs had to be approved by The Pokemon Company, and we had like a year of just building Pokemon assets before actual shot-work began. The volume of different creatures also probably helped, since there wasn't time to fiddle with any particular design, and just making them look like they do in the game was the easiest path to approval.

Since Sonic was the only character in his movie, there was more room for back-and-forth, which led to a lot of iterations and compromises. Jeff Fowler wanted Sonic to look like a real animal (there was even some cute concept art of Sonic just being an actual upright hedgehog), whereas Sega was concerned about specific elements of his design being included. Like, Sega was insistent that Sonic's mono-eye be represented in the character, which was eventually bargained down to a strip of white fur above his nose that "suggests" it.
Bringing Tyson Hesse on to lead the redesign was absolutely the right choice - He came out of the gate with notes and diagrams of how Sonic's skull should work, what shape his eyeballs should be, and how his limbs should thicken as they get towards his hands and feet to ease into his more cartoonish proportions.
I still think it was a mistake to not make Mr Mime sexier

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t get a Sega console until I bought a used Genesis in the early ‘10s. By which time the whacko Sonic fandom had ruined Sonic for me without me even having to look very hard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope they give him a goofy dub like they did when he was Hercules

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The movie just looked cheap, and I was shocked when I found out the budget. Where did the money go?
Budget details of one of the Tomb Raider movies became public during a lawsuit, and a surprisingly large chunk of the claimed $90m was effectively tax credits from (IIRC) the German government that went back to the studio via various intermediaries rather than money actually being put into the production. So the amount a movie is claimed to have cost is probably a long way from what it actually cost.

Also studios and producers like to big-up their budgets. The original Total Recall supposedly cost over $100m, when later it turned out to have been in the $60-70m range.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Christian anti masker movie

https://twitter.com/imjacksavage/status/1483643863516565516?s=20&t=MG-4QcZC1yibRcDoRdWZcw

https://twitter.com/wapplehouse/status/1482922219630125064?s=20&t=MG-4QcZC1yibRcDoRdWZcw

https://twitter.com/Who_Datty/status/1482927368473825293?s=20&t=MG-4QcZC1yibRcDoRdWZcw

https://twitter.com/DDayFilms/status/1483185439720845315?s=20&t=MG-4QcZC1yibRcDoRdWZcw

https://twitter.com/Jinga11s/status/1483361039336890368?s=20&t=MG-4QcZC1yibRcDoRdWZcw

https://youtu.be/-KJRVuikVhY

quote:

The world is changing, the question is in which direction? Will our world in 2025 look like the one in this film?
Set in the year 2025 
Since the outbreak of the Corona virus in 2020, the world has not been the same: A communist system with a single world government has been established, English has been chosen as the world language, contacts have been reduced to a minimum. Christianity has been banned completely; the constitution how we knew it no longer exists.
In Germany, a small group of young Christians start an underground revolution to reunite Christians and regain freedom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched a video review of it and the footage from the movie is just breathtakingly incompetent. Scenes go on too long, bizarre editing and background music that drowns out the dialogue. Also for some reason the guy made the movie in English despite the fact that most of the actors in it (including himself) are German so everyone has a very thick accent.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The whole thing's on youtube, if anyone dares to watch it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Robot Style posted:

The whole thing's on youtube, if anyone dares to watch it.

I'm good, thanks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Robot Style posted:

I'm really not surprised that Sega was very specific in ultimately useless ways and it took a comic artist to actually hammer down why the design basics work.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, as do I, but there’s no way I’d want Arnold playing that version of the character. If I’ve got Arnold putting the blue face paint back on for some hypothetical movie, you better believe he’ll be campy as hell and blasting puns every line.

Thing is Arnie WAS playing that version of the character- the entire Nora Fries plot is taken straight from the BTAS incarnation. They just also chose to have him played by Arnie blasting his henchmen with ice, wearing polar bear slippers and making ice puns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah it was basically a mix of Batman: TAS backstory with original version attitude.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a Mr. Freeze Halloween costume in ‘97. Still haven’t seen the whole movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm really not surprised that Sega was very specific in ultimately useless ways and it took a comic artist to actually hammer down why the design basics work.

Sega really doesn't want this to happen again.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

All of the best footage in that trailer is stock footage :hurr:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

He-Man movie got moved to Netflix, which has the two current He-Man cartoon shows so it sort of makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never got the appeal of that show

I was maybe a year or two too young for it

I was born in ‘85 and grew up with like the original Transformers and GI Joe stuff