Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A bit tinfoil, but some speculation that Zalensky may go the way of Diem .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

the f35: the bitcoin of the sky

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

I think this 28 second clip from his YouTube channel tells you everything you need to know about this guy.

https://youtu.be/LFEoNrtRJz4

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
man, can you imagine being a chinese general or something and getting report after report of the target of your planning being like this? just every meeting dissolving into a laugh riot.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao, from the replies

https://twitter.com/GhusGhusGhus/status/1487230760385855491?s=20&t=BtyQUo06AnuRSvkx2hFjag

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

A bit tinfoil, but some speculation that Zalensky may go the way of Diem .

If Zelensky successfully bucked the United States and managed to broker peace with Russia, it would make him the greatest statesman of the new millenium.

Most likely he'll either fail or be killed, but the amount of courage he's showing is incredible already.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

man, can you imagine being a chinese general or something and getting report after report of the target of your planning being like this? just every meeting dissolving into a laugh riot.

I skimmed The Culture of the People’s Liberation Army, and US defence people really do seem to think they’re Asiatic hordes without regard for human life so lol.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

Most grunts are middle class, and joined for adventure, or come from military families. Like 90% of guys who sign on for 25 year enlistments in the combat arms are suburban, white, got good grades in school, middle class families.

Working class people and minorities sign on for a support trade, get qualified as carpenters/welders/mechanics/paramedics, and then get out after their single 3-4 year hitch.

There is an economic draft, but those people do not want to be career combat soldiers. With Teeth-to-Tail at 1:10, there are a lot of women, minorities and working class people in the military, just not in infantry battalions and calvary squadrons.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that, WW1 gutted the protestant middle class in Ireland.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Trump and Biden together will be responsible for more deaths than the Cultural Revolution.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

wow a rare actually good garrison

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

The duality of man.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
missed this propaganda video when it came out but it's a good banger about COVID response and i stan yin xiumei

she's top notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzyMFXhq70

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jan 29, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Trump and Biden together will be responsible for more deaths than the Cultural Revolution.

For China to really repay the Century of Humiliation, MAGA somehow has to get to Taiping Rebellion levels.

Who knows? A pandemic is usually what kicks off a civil war near the end of a dynastic cycle, along with drought, economic trouble and famine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

For China to really repay the Century of Humiliation, MAGA somehow has to get to Taiping Rebellion levels.

instead of Jesus's brother, it's going to be a a failed lawyer saying he's the real JFK Jr.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

They're already fighting a version of the Boxer Rebellion against COVID.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I skimmed The Culture of the People’s Liberation Army, and US defence people really do seem to think they’re Asiatic hordes without regard for human life so lol.

drat the PLA really are diametrically opposed to the US military

quote:

The PLA teaches its members that it has a special obligation to treat people
humanely and equitably.
The PLA considers itself a “people’s army” that draws its strength from the support of
the common people, and it teaches that this support was crucial to its past victories. Its
leaders assert that the PLA must both defend the Chinese people in wartime, and aid
them in their daily lives during peacetime. It considers this focus on the needs of the
people to be a central aspect of its identity, setting it apart from foreign militaries and
from previous, non-communist, Chinese armies.
This principle manifests itself in two beliefs:
• The PLA believes that treating its own personnel (particularly enlisted personnel)
with paternalistic kindness and mercy is an important indicator of its moral and
martial strength.
• The PLA believes that it must treat Chinese civilians with the utmost humanity
and courtesy.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Torpor posted:

the us has convinced itself that Russia is going to invade Ukraine and is now negotiating with Putin to come to a compromise to stop the invasion that was not only never gonna happen but that Putin never even threatened to do.

it is impressively stupid, but it does sound like the democrats

edited

i would say less 'convinced itself' and more 'desperately hopes for'. the MIC is pissed that afghanistan ended suddenly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Buncha brainwashed, inhuman monsters! You'll never win MY heart or mind!:freep:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

vyelkin posted:

what sorta stuff does the PLA do during peacetime

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

There's a newer one

LimburgLimbo posted:

By the by about a week ago the US military published/declassified its latest assessment of the Chinese military and tactics.

Worth a look to fuel your Tom Clancy fantasies

Page about it or something:
https://community.apan.org/wg/tradoc-g2/operational-environment-and-threat-analysis-directorate/m/documents/383691

Direct PDF link:
https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN33195-ATP_7-100.3-000-WEB-1.pdf
imo it made the PLA sound really cool by describing them as the militant wing of the communist party and ardent maoists.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

indigi posted:

traditionally? had the soldiers grow crops to support themselves. now they do a wide range from disaster relief to running businesses.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

our fighters would fly better if they put those monster teeth on em like the world war 2 planes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

i used to watch sports and play mahjong with a guy in the pla. he was a pretty chill guy who was super into playing & watching soccer and basketball

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

also free hugs :glomp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5i1meUSr_g&t=3120s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
to follow the PLA's good example, i'm available for free virtual hugs if anyone needs one

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

wow this sounds way better than creating an entire separate society where you continually pat people on the back for volunteering, enact policies to encourage them to get married and pop out a kid, and then dangle benefits over their heads to keep them in

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Concerns over the risk of metal stress and cracking were raised in 2017, the year before the next-generation fighters were due to come to Australia.

The FOI report obtained by the ABC said of the three bases where the jets would be based, only Williamtown, near Newcastle, had been identified as having potential problems.
The jets will also be based at Luke Airforce Base in the US state of Arizona, and the RAAF base at Tindall in the Northern Territory.

Why are Australian jets being based in the USA? Am I misunderstanding this?

Did we just buy too many jets and we are subsidising the USA's domestic air forces?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Good vassals have no rights to asking perfectly meaningful questions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

traditionally? had the soldiers grow crops to support themselves. now they do a wide range from disaster relief to running businesses.

that’s cool

fart simpson posted:

i used to watch sports and play mahjong with a guy in the pla. he was a pretty chill guy who was super into playing & watching soccer and basketball

that’s cool

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

Good vassals have no rights to asking perfectly meaningful questions

Very amused by Canada dragging it's feet on will it finally buy the F-35 or not.

More surprising is that the choice isn't even between two US companies but a US or a European company.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why does Canada need F35s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

To replace the F18s, but then you might as well ask why does Canada have those.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

To replace the F18s, but then you might as well ask why does Canada have those.

To replace the Avro Arrow

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I looked at the F35 wiki page and was disappointed to see Finland as being an expected buyer

why can’t the Finns purchase the next generation French fighter or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the French have come out with anything newer than the Rafale

Did the Eurofighter project ever bear fruit?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eurofighter/status/1480562736937512961

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean, it seems to fly? Which everyone should take as an invitation to post hilarious crash videos, I guess. I don't remember any. Maybe the EU plane crashes boring and bureaucratically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

crepeface posted:

the f35: the bitcoin of the sky

heh this works the other way too, bitcoin: the f35 of the internet :cheers: