Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Russian fears Le Pedophile Raciste

ive been trying to find that tweet but no luck. was it deleted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There are suspicions that Russia was involved in the 2020 coup.

It's pretty rich for France to level that kind of accusation

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

But Winnie the Pooh is lovable and brimming with folk wisdom? He's a confident leader who doesn't demand anything, but receives the unwavering loyalty of the people. Are they saying that they love Grandpa Xi, because he is like Winnie the Pooh?

Yeah its never been an own that allows for a greater than surface level reading, winnie the pooh has a round face and he's yellow, chairman xi has a round face and you can fill in that blank yourself.

Actually comparing a chinese politican to a ubiquitously beloved childrens character doesn't make any sense except on the most surface possible reading of the statement. It's a racist reddit meme.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Cheetos are also universally loved so I don’t understand the trump comparison either

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

https://twitter.com/danielestrin/status/1486833113556819974?s=21

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

slave to my cravings posted:

Cheetos are also universally loved so I don’t understand the trump comparison either

Libs are cruel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
i am now 1000% convinced that the US will kill zelensky and replace him with a sakashvili level Bozo who will provoke Russia into an invasion so they can have an excuse to sanction nord stream 2 while Ukraine is quickly defeated and forgotten.

America will fight to the last ukranian to have this war lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How much longer can they keep up this media blitz? Putin's been ready to invade for two months now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what else are they going to report on, the state of things at home? I think they are trying to avoid that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There are suspicions that Russia was involved in the 2020 coup.

god forbid the people of mali were sick of being a french colony

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the US’ hand in Europe is looking real weak at the moment and the current strategy isn’t working. There has been multiple delays to Nordstream but with the pipeline completed, eventually it will probably be certified.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

How much longer can they keep up this media blitz? Putin's been ready to invade for two months now.

until the Olympics start and then they pivot back to antiChina material.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
New thread title rocks

https://twitter.com/OstavNadezhdu/status/1486841610197417988?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

genericnick posted:

That's not that bad, is it? Something like 400km? Looking up our best line for about 250km:

Though train travel gets a lot cheaper if you do it often enough to justify a time card, down here.

I live in the United States and all this is making me extremely jealous

I've often given consideration to taking a train somewhere one day just for the experience of having done it, but the nearest functioning passenger train station to my city, which has over a million people in its metro area, is over 100 miles away, and sees exactly one arriving train and one departing train per day.

Taking a train from here to Chicago is either a 9-hour drive straight there, a 90-minute flight, a 20-hour bus ride, or a ridiculously circuitous train trip that takes you hundreds of miles in the opposite direction and takes almost three days, while also being more expensive than any of the other options, and also requiring you to first drive over an hour in the wrong direction.

And that's for coach service, with you sitting in a seat for all the multiple days you'll be spending on that train. If you want a bunk, double the price or more.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Lostconfused posted:

hasn't Iran been 6 months away from a nuclear bomb for the last 30 years?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Al-Saqr posted:

i am now 1000% convinced that the US will kill zelensky and replace him with a sakashvili level Bozo who will provoke Russia into an invasion so they can have an excuse to sanction nord stream 2 while Ukraine is quickly defeated and forgotten.

America will fight to the last ukranian to have this war lol

It will be us bought mercenaries backed by us special forces doing a false flag attack on a Russian position that triggers a war.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I was just idly speculating about a Diem situation, but :thunk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/marcbennetts1/status/1487438326734983171?t=HkyO2iJGkladCmlGEKsV-g&s=19

Zelensky is based

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Someone about to guido

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I was just idly speculating about a Diem situation, but :thunk:

no, i think you and the others speculating that he's about to get Diem'd are probably spot on, but if it doesn't happen soon it's probably going to fail

the US embassy insisting that the former president get let back in the country and also preventing him from being arrested was like a flashing WE WILL REPLACE YOU sign

anyway, if there's any chance of the paris talks being successful the CIA will be agitating for the president to pull the trigger. assuming, anyway, that there is also a guarantee of escalation against russia as a result. otherwise it seems like even rabid warhawks would (or could) understand the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

there's absolutely zero chance this is not a cold war bear trap type strategy in play against russia.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I just want to appreciate how much Atlanticists love to scoff at allegations of color revolutions, but the second Zelensky starts contradicting their fantasies they immediately start smashing the coup button.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I just want to appreciate how much Atlanticists love to scoff at allegations of color revolutions, but the second Zelensky starts contradicting their fantasies they immediately start smashing the coup button.

Granted, I doubt Poroshenko would be their guy since if anything he was slightly more passive than Zelensky, they would need someone else.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Granted, I doubt Poroshenko would be their guy since if anything he was slightly more passive than Zelensky and they would need someone else.

They could always go full mask off and put Tarasenko in charge. Russia's Nazis are worse, after all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I had no opinion of Zelenskiy before this but I now think pretty highly of him for standing up to the US and Russia at the same time. If you want to talk about how Ukraine is a sovereign nation and deserves the right to determine its own future independent of great power politics, he seems to be doing a good job making that case to both sides, and if the West decides that he has to go because he's not playing along with their glorious little war then I think that says a lot about how much weight is actually being placed on the the Ukrainian people democratically expressing their will through the form of their elected representatives.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The most likely reason there's not going to be a coup is because the Ukrainian public has a low tolerance for it. Even if Zelensky's popularity has gone down, he was elected with a popular mandate. Ukrainian people are going to resent the fact that the west will still come in at this late stage, and choose their government for them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don’t think a coup would work in this case, there just really isn’t real support for a more aggressive stance and only the most extreme nationalists would be even that interested

I don’t think Right Sector and the Avoz battalion are ready to run the country on their own.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the west has never given to flying fucks about any democratically elected mandate ever they’ll run right over the voting publics of other countries to have their way

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Considering what happened with crimea, I suspect the exact same scenario to occur again where russia just takes another little slice of Ukraine pie and nobody does anything about it. Putin knows the west is too weak and full of false bravado to stand up to him. Slowly taking one oblast at a time to avoid huge badboy points.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Palladium posted:

and now the media is painting Zelensky as a comedian who is not taking the situation seriously enough and now needs to be ousted

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1487352864905506816?s=20&t=wua-Zrwo7GgyJWM_ETRYLA
Defence Editor at @TheEconomist. Formerly @rusi_org. Interested in international politics & security. Signal number: +447732590563. All views strictly personal.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Thinking about when trump deployed all those troops to the Mexican border as a publicity stunt for an election and they just hosed around some barb wire and missed thanksgiving with the family.

Never knew he was actually preparing an invasion of Mexico the whole time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
one new interpretation seems to be that clearly Zelenskiy sees the threats and understands them, he's just trying not to panic investors, but clearly everyone will see through that and understand he's lying to try and stop them from panicking and that will then panic investors anyway. The idea that he might have better information than them, or might have the same information but have reached a different conclusion about it, isn't being considered as an option.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1487331427322511360?s=20&t=wua-Zrwo7GgyJWM_ETRYLA

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Not hugely surprising unfortunately given Russia's aging population, low vaccine uptake, and frequently substandard two-track healthcare outside big cities.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

Not hugely surprising unfortunately given Russia's aging population, low vaccine uptake, and frequently substandard two-track healthcare outside big cities.

The response on reddit is insane.

Zero self awareness, none. Just Americans hooting and hollering while 4k Americans die of covid daily.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Hahaha the US empire and their media bootlickers are so loving belligerent and bloodthirsty for conflict that its really starting to piss off the Ukrainian government. How long until the IC and our assclown media decides Zelensky has been corrupted by Putin?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

The response on reddit is insane.

Zero self awareness, none. Just Americans hooting and hollering while 4k Americans die of covid daily.

This is Economist data, the columns are country, time period, listed Covid deaths, excess deaths, excess deaths per 100,000

if this data is reasonably close to accurate (and, well, it is the Economist so they may not be), then Russia does have a higher excess death rate than the US but the US probably has higher excess deaths overall since the US figure doesn't include the last two weeks of 2021 but the Russian one does. That Moscow Times headline should probably say "after India and the United States" which would ideally stem some of the triumphalism.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Russia excess death story is three weeks old now and the people writing it have always avoided mentioning US.

https://twitter.com/ArielKarlinsky/status/1477531141510946818

This also ignores the part where US also under reports COVID deaths, but US is only doing it by like 30% compared to Russia.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

vyelkin posted:

This is Economist data, the columns are country, time period, listed Covid deaths, excess deaths, excess deaths per 100,000

if this data is reasonably close to accurate (and, well, it is the Economist so they may not be), then Russia does have a higher excess death rate than the US but the US probably has higher excess deaths overall since the US figure doesn't include the last two weeks of 2021 but the Russian one does. That Moscow Times headline should probably say "after India and the United States" which would ideally stem some of the triumphalism.

oh lol is that the same “data” that says China has been hiding millions of deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1487352864905506816?s=20&t=wua-Zrwo7GgyJWM_ETRYLA
Defence Editor at @TheEconomist. Formerly @rusi_org. Interested in international politics & security. Signal number: +447732590563. All views strictly personal.

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1487467285224767492?s=20&t=j2mwSS3ZchzG4l-ntAwlQw

Zelensky can kiss those weapons shipments goodbye if he's going to hurt our feelings like this :qq: