Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I’ve been meaning to check this out so that’s good to hear! I really enjoy that whole gang but gently caress I can’t digest three hour podcast episodes lol

What’s the podcast? I didn’t know there was anything related. Only reason I found out about it was a comedian I like (Daniel Sloss) posted about it. I guess he knows someone on the cast or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

is this a decent gaming laptop

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-AN515-55-53E5-i5-10300H-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B092YHJGMN?th=1

for the gf, basically ffxiv or like the asscreed games on decent settings

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

What’s the podcast? I didn’t know there was anything related. Only reason I found out about it was a comedian I like (Daniel Sloss) posted about it. I guess he knows someone on the cast or something

The story of vox machina is the first aired d&d campaign of Critical Role. It stars a bunch of pretty popular voice actors.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

FizFashizzle posted:

is this a decent gaming laptop

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-AN515-55-53E5-i5-10300H-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B092YHJGMN?th=1

for the gf, basically ffxiv or like the asscreed games on decent settings

Ehhhh. Extremely small SSD storage and only 8 GB of DDR3 RAM are going to kneecap it unless you upgrade those.

E: this doubles the SSD size, doubles the RAM, with the same videocard, and a very slightly better CPU https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233489?Item=N82E16834233489&cm_sp=Dailydeal_SS-_-34-233-489-_-01292022 . Here's a bit of an upgrade on that one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233450, but battery life is a common complaint.

There are some comments about the computer deciding when to use the integrated and dedicated GPU which is a little strange.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 29, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

korrandark posted:

The story of vox machina is the first aired d&d campaign of Critical Role. It stars a bunch of pretty popular voice actors.

Oh nice, maybe I’ll check that out too

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone use Tidal? Thinking of switching from Spotify to Tidal, especially because musicians are starting to pull their music off Spotify, but also because of Joe Rogan.

It looks like tidal has a lot of the same stuff Spotify has, and that’s all I really care about.

Let me know if you try it out, I’ve been sick of Spotify for months because all of my daily playlists are just different orders of the same song from 15 of the same bands including several that I give a thumbs down at every opportunity. At least use a different song or two from the same 15 bands!

E:

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh nice, maybe I’ll check that out too

Yeah that’s what I was talking about. It’s very cool and fun and well done, but yeah every episode is like 3 hours minimum (they’re all streamed on video on their YouTube channel as well) and there’s a LOT of episodes, they’ve been doing it for a while.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 29, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

Let me know if you try it out, I’ve been sick of Spotify for months because all of my daily playlists are just different orders of the same song from 15 of the same bands including several that I give a thumbs down at every opportunity. At least use a different song or two from the same 15 bands!

Yea I have the same complaint about Spotify. I’ll make a playlist with like 1000 songs on it and when I shuffle, the same songs always seem to play.

I download the free version of tidal just to see what it has, and it seems to have the same catalog at least. Going to get the pay version and see how it goes.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
The presence of Joe Rogan is a huge problem, but I could never get rid of Spotiy Premium because it's necessary to use JQBX (a virtual DJ site ala turntable.fm).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hot Diggity! posted:

Ehhhh. Extremely small SSD storage and only 8 GB of DDR3 RAM are going to kneecap it unless you upgrade those.

E: this doubles the SSD size, doubles the RAM, with the same videocard, and a very slightly better CPU https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233489?Item=N82E16834233489&cm_sp=Dailydeal_SS-_-34-233-489-_-01292022 . Here's a bit of an upgrade on that one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233450, but battery life is a common complaint.

There are some comments about the computer deciding when to use the integrated and dedicated GPU which is a little strange.

RAM doesn't really have an effect on games anymore as long as you're around 8GB and not multitasking a bunch of poo poo in the background:

https://youtu.be/pSp_T3t1A3Q

Obviously points about SSD size remain.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

T-Square posted:

Yeah it sucks.

I want the various playlist tools to help me discover new music and it fails at that.

Like it seems to only create playlists from the very highest levels of “genre” and “popularity”. So if I make two completely different lofi playlists, it will recommend the same songs for both.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The most important thing to remember when building a new pc is to keep track of which drive is which so you don't format the wrong one and lose all your data :eng99:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Crescent Wrench posted:

The presence of Joe Rogan is a huge problem, but I could never get rid of Spotiy Premium because it's necessary to use JQBX (a virtual DJ site ala turntable.fm).

That's a better excuse than mine. Ever since our kid turned 5 months old we've used music playlists to structure and liven up a lot of his routines. He has a bath playlist, a dinner playlist, and even a playlist specifically for bouncing in his jolly jumper. YouTube or anything with disruptive ads is a non starter as that stuff is essentially brain poison for young kids.

Boy is 19 months now and it's hard to imagine life without Spotify fleshing out his routines.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did Rogan do something specific recently to get Neil Young to leave the platform, or is it just a general fatigue with that guy and his zany antics

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

RAM doesn't really have an effect on games anymore as long as you're around 8GB and not multitasking a bunch of poo poo in the background:

https://youtu.be/pSp_T3t1A3Q

Obviously points about SSD size remain.

Yeah the RAM point was less about FPS / game performance and more about task load. DDR3 having a larger power draw and lower clocking doesn't help with laptops either. Granted I didn't look at the minimum specs of either of those games but going forward could be an issue. SSD size alone would be a dealbreaker for me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Did Rogan do something specific recently to get Neil Young to leave the platform, or is it just a general fatigue with that guy and his zany antics

Rogan's frequent hosting of anti-vaxxers / anti-vaxx adjacent people seems to have made him put his foot down. Not sure if it can be said that it is related, but Young did have polio as a kid.

That being said he's also been critical of Spotify's sound quality compared to other platforms (which is true).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

And now for the triple post check out this cool thread:

https://twitter.com/RDRv3/status/1487464151039426561

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C-Euro posted:

He's kinda ramped up the antivaxx stuff/hosting wingbat guests on the subject and Neil didn't like it I guess? I gather that is, not like I'm listening to him.

Also there was that open letter earlier in the month from a bunch of doctors and nurses telling Spotify to knock it off with the Rogan poo poo, I guess that might have moved Young.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Intruder posted:

I guess I blanked on Mando getting to keep the darksaber (new boba fett spoiler)

or just forgot

e: laughed real hard at Mando checking the darksaber for his flight

That was really funny, you could see him thinking "Well, she can't excommunicate me twice."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is it possible to lose 10 lbs. in a month so I can fit back in my suit?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I've done it, it's basically losing 2.5 lbs a week. I did it by really really watching my caloric intake while doing boot camp classes 6 times a week.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Easily if you a big dude.

Difficult and likely unhealthy if you a tiny human.

I believe in you BiaB.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

yes, depending on how much you weigh will be how painful it is. The higher the percentage that is of your current body weight the suckier it's gonna be.

Goon speed

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

In the same way that ironic racism has roughly the same effect as actual racism, Gordon Ramsay's rear end in a top hat character has had a negative effect on kitchen culture since his shows have aired, and instead of owning that and trying to change his public persona he continues to profit from the lie that also encourages assholes to make humans in low-paying high-stress jobs suffer more.

He can be as nice as he wants in private but it doesn't change his effect on the public and he's still doing the rear end in a top hat schtick on TV.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

Southeast Mass. I'm actually less worried about the snowfall total than I am a power outage. They're saying 30 mph gusts are likely.

And yeah way too far out. I heard we were getting the storm this past Sunday and every day I looked back they'd revised it down 2 inches (from 17) until this morning when it leaped to like 20+

You still alive buddy? I'm out in Middlesex and we were supposed to only get 6-12 and we're well past that at this point.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Easily if you a big dude.

Difficult and likely unhealthy if you a tiny human.

I believe in you BiaB.

I’m 6’3” and like 213. My weight has been creeping up the last few years. I’ve probably gained 15 lbs since I got this suit 5 years ago. I’m overweight, but not huge.

The one time I successfully lost a good amount of weight, I just counted every calorie and worked out like 5 times a week, so I guess I’ll try that. Good thing Fat Tuesday is late this year.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

When you're large and in charge, everyday is Fat Tuesday, baby.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Tricky Ed posted:

In the same way that ironic racism has roughly the same effect as actual racism, Gordon Ramsay's rear end in a top hat character has had a negative effect on kitchen culture since his shows have aired, and instead of owning that and trying to change his public persona he continues to profit from the lie that also encourages assholes to make humans in low-paying high-stress jobs suffer more.

He can be as nice as he wants in private but it doesn't change his effect on the public and he's still doing the rear end in a top hat schtick on TV.

On the other hand, only toddlers / small children can really blame TV for their behavior

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2022

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Gordon Ramsey is actually a nice guy, who eats animals his children consider to be pets. But that's okay, he raises them for food (the animals, not the children. presumably. but it's also not right to make assumptions...)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you did want to eat your own child, becoming a master chef perfectionist is probably a requirement, not really the kind of dish you get to cook twice.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kalli posted:

You still alive buddy? I'm out in Middlesex and we were supposed to only get 6-12 and we're well past that at this point.

so much loving snow, it never stops. why did i move to this dumb state

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Relentlessboredomm posted:

so much loving snow, it never stops. why did i move to this dumb state

I gotta be honest, I thought you lived in Florida.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Gordon Ramsey is actually a nice guy, who eats animals his children consider to be pets. But that's okay, he raises them for food (the animals, not the children. presumably. but it's also not right to make assumptions...)

sounds like his kids are dumb as hell for considering livestock pets

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

pretend i know nothing

walk me through this

Grittybeard posted:

It's more complicated than this but I think he's referencing the voucher privitization program when the USSR fell. Basically people were given or could buy very cheaply shares in any state owned company.

Most people are dumb with money anyway, but even more so in this setting. The sharps figured out there was a big difference between current Russian prices for oil and such and everywhere else and vacuumed the vouchers up from people scamming them into taking way less than they were worth, or even sometimes just bartering. Like a microwave or something looks good and you're poor as dirt, why do you need this asset that you don't understand and can't use right now?

This was also a big part of the rise of the Russian mob (which...you know may be the same thing either way), there's a doc out there somewhere that I thought was good.

e: I think I was thinking of Thieves by Law for the documentary? Maybe not, that's all about the mafia. But if I remember right they go through the basic scam and how crazy things were at the time.

This is on the money. If you want to spend a day doing a deep dive read up on Semibankirschina. What it boils down to is that 7 blokes who were either black market smugglers, vice lords or buds with the higher ups in the communist party used their access to money and goods to bilk the population out of their company shares and used it to build a financial and media empire that still controls Russia to this day.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

C-Euro posted:

I gotta be honest, I thought you lived in Florida.

grew up there and lived there for a very long time but no im in the northeast now through a series of terrible decisions

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Florida man shoots through his own car because he’s a psycho idiot.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1487265925309030406?t=_UH5bN8vl3Wvy7wl-Ro4wA&s=19

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Amy Pole Her posted:

On the other hand, only toddlers / small children can really blame TV for their behavior

Saying "Gordon Ramsay made me do it" is laughable. But saying that people don't look at the successful yelling man and get the idea that they could be more successful by yelling is also laughable. He's the product of abuse and he's continued that cycle by abusing others on television.

It's not as extreme as Alex Jones trying to separate himself from "Alex Jones" when viewers did terrible things, but long-time restaurant workers have absolutely seen worse conditions since he's become popular. Culinary schools have absolutely seen a drop in female applicants since he's become popular. Restauranteurs who fight against that type of kitchen culture have absolutely had a more difficult time since he's become popular.

Putting on an extreme persona for media success has worked for as long as there's been media, but that doesn't mean the personas should be above judgement, especially because people imitate what they see. He shouldn't escape criticism for his lucrative tv persona because he wrote a book where he says to be nice.

It's okay to like him. Just don't fool yourself by saying he isn't like that in real life so what he does on tv is okay.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thomas Edward Brady will you please go home!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

Still here! No power outages which is good because they kinda freak out my daughter. That and it's gonna get down to single digits the next couple of nights.

Were just at the northeast corner of RI fwiwi. Haven't measured yet but there's no way it's less than two feet. Our plow guy came by twice and I may call and ask him to come out again. Not looking forward to shoveling the rest out tomorrow.

I’m 6’3” and like 213. My weight has been creeping up the last few years. I’ve probably gained 15 lbs since I got this suit 5 years ago. I’m overweight, but not huge.

The one time I successfully lost a good amount of weight, I just counted every calorie and worked out like 5 times a week, so I guess I’ll try that. Good thing Fat Tuesday is late this year.

I'm about the same weight and six inches shorter. :sweatdrop:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
David Chang has been fairly active in working on becoming better than his earlier celebrity chef persona (which was more in line with that Gordon Ramsey-style blowhardedness), or that's what his podcast has me believe…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is that dude who was working with Suh and got famous for gentrifying good food that was available cheaper elsewhere?