Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

birdstrike posted:

Albo will be taken down by his own federal icac, clearing the way for Kevin ‘27

COVID waves become the RuddWave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Everybody cared about expenses four years ago when it was Barnaby but now it's albo so it's no longer a big deal lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Centusin posted:

Everybody cared about expenses four years ago when it was Barnaby but now it's albo so it's no longer a big deal lol

Mmm yes everybody cared

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've had 60k of travel expenses in a year pre-covid, granted international mostly but it doesn't seem that much over a year for the average high level employee? Yeah they're a public servant and some rort it a bit I guess but it doesn't seem out of the realm for a private company. Heck I'm just a sales puke travelling in economy and not fancy hotels mostly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

MPs claim their legally allowed allowances. Oh no! Corruption!

Can we focus instead on actual corruption? Like that time Dutton altered the visas of au pairs because his old mate asked him too. Or that time he got caught doing that and so brought big files with the ex-Labor Ministers for that portfolios names on them, refused to table them and then when his Department was asked for those folders the reply was 'we didn't supply the Minister with any documents to go in those files'. So Dutton just wrote their names on these fat files full of people and tried to intimidate Labor MPs with leaking privledged information for funsies?

Or maybe we can focus on all these dead and dying residents of aged care homes, overseen by the Federal government.

*taps ownership of all australian media*

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You shouldn't get paid to live in a property you or someone in your family owns but that's just me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

You shouldn't get paid to live in a property you or someone in your family owns but that's just me.

I agree, but it isn't corrupt. Unlike *gestures at wild corruption* that isn't being reported.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Laserface posted:

It's in allowance for accommodation, food, and incidentals.

They can sleep in their car, eat a tin of baked beans, and shower at work, but they're still getting paid the $330+ a night anyway.

Yeah it doesn't pass the pub/sniff/arse test, but the alternative is to move to a system of reimbursement for actual expenses incurred. Which probably costs more than the savings anyway.

I've worked under both systems in public and private sector. Getting an allowance was great because you could spend it all on beer without being questioned or actually save some money, but now I've got a corporate credit card and just photograph the receipts into the online system and it seems to work fine. It's actually better when you need to go somewhere like Sydney during a peak season and the allowance wouldn't have covered the accommodation expenses (I wasn't getting anywhere near the parliamentary level).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It is lovely that they have more for expenses than people on Jobseeker get for a year to survive on. Tim Wilson's expenses are around 2 and a bit years worth of Jobseeker and they still won't raise the rate.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

It is lovely that they have more for expenses than people on Jobseeker get for a year to survive on. Tim Wilson's expenses are around 2 and a bit years worth of Jobseeker and they still won't raise the rate.

Politicians and jobseekers get paid too little.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

But only one of them is performing a necessary service to capitalist society.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
hey thats not fair, politicians do a lot of work to funnel productive resources into the pockets of the wealthy

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

Politicians and jobseekers get paid too little.

The base salary for an MP is 211k which is more than enough to pay for your own hotel rooms or whatever (and Wilson's a cabinet minister so he's getting more than that)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

The base salary for an MP is 211k which is more than enough to pay for your own hotel rooms or whatever (and Wilson's a cabinet minister so he's getting more than that)

You are responding to his bait

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

bowmore posted:

He's gone around the country and bought all the billboards again as well

tell him to get hosed

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

You are responding to his bait

It's not enough money to attract useful candidates, particularly back benchers in expensive electorates. There's a reason nobody wants to break into the cartel all that badly and it's because you get paid more reporting to the minister than being the minister.

Politicians salaries for the level of exposure and workload are pathetic. Nobody normal would ever elect to do it.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

As if, hotels in Canberra have a captive audience of MPs. 211k isn't even enough to secure a nice house in Sydney. Whether we like it or not we do need to provide proper compensation to attract people to politics, aside from those who want to wield power and corruption for their mates.

I think a better, and more hilarious, solution to the issue is the government builds a development in Canberra with just houses for the pollies. The PM and Leader of the Opposition have to live across from each other on the same street.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Scomo sneaking out at 1am to put half empty paint cans in albos green waste bin

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

freebooter posted:

It's pretty loving ridiculous that politicians get this allowance on top of their huge salaries. I work in federal government, do not make anywhere near 200K and my employer won't provide me with a phone or pay for any of my internet because "it's your responsibility as an employee to have your home office equipped". I can't work in the office now because it's been closed due to covid. Thankfully I'm saving money by being forced to work from home (petrol is expensive and so is parking in the city) but I sure as gently caress don't like making phone calls to members of the public on my personal phone.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Join your union. As for your phone in the short term, look up how to disable outgoing caller ID.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Konomex posted:

Whether we like it or not we do need to provide proper compensation to attract people to politics, aside from those who want to wield power and corruption for their mates.

hrm ok but when are we going to start paying them that much money

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konomex posted:

I think a better, and more hilarious, solution to the issue is the government builds a development in Canberra with just houses for the pollies. The PM and Leader of the Opposition have to live across from each other on the same street.

Put them in share houses and pay for it with the resulting TV rights.

Sitcom or Big Brother style, you decide.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Fascist rally with Bosi speaking spreading more conspiracy theories live streaming now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlMqiP0UlY

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What employee is ever expected to pay for their own hotel btw loving lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Fascist rally with Bosi speaking spreading more conspiracy theories live streaming now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlMqiP0UlY

The "Australia 1 candidate" for Casey (Craig Cole) just said "Maiden speeches are supposed to be all warm and fuzzy. gently caress that, I'm going to get my m16 and mow them all down. loving pedophile protectors the lot of them".

Rapturous applause and enthusiastic endorsement from Bosi.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fair work has like 20 commissioners and deputy presidents (not to mention other staff in there on similar wickets) and they all make better coin than an mp and most of them more than a federal government minister.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

Fair work has like 20 commissioners and deputy presidents (not to mention other staff in there on similar wickets) and they all make better coin than an mp and most of them more than a federal government minister.

Wow that's crazy and it only took them 11 years of being reported to to make katarzyna pay their employees minimum wage?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wow that's crazy and it only took them 11 years of being reported to to make katarzyna pay their employees minimum wage?

Yeah it's insane. They also keep knocking back minimum wage and award increases because they're all lib cronies that play golf and do gently caress all else.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Fair Work Australia and Administrative Appeals are where the LNP failsons and ALP union apparatchiks go to receive a $400k p/a stipend for 5 or 10 years. So if you have a case in front of FWA it's a coin toss that you'll get either an IPA blowhard or burn-the-rich ex union delegate.

High flyers get the ambassadorships and board memberships.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Fair Work Australia and Administrative Appeals are where the LNP failsons and ALP union apparatchiks go to receive a $400k p/a stipend for 5 or 10 years. So if you have a case in front of FWA it's a coin toss that you'll get either an IPA blowhard or burn-the-rich ex union delegate.

High flyers get the ambassadorships and board memberships.

It's more of roll a die and a 6 is the union guy now.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 30, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The "Australia 1 candidate" for Casey (Craig Cole) just said "Maiden speeches are supposed to be all warm and fuzzy. gently caress that, I'm going to get my m16 and mow them all down. loving pedophile protectors the lot of them".

Rapturous applause and enthusiastic endorsement from Bosi.

if you want to know more about Bosi and whats going on here this article explains a lot

https://twitter.com/AlacritousCrier/status/1470743108975534082

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

JBP posted:

It's more of roll a die and a 6 is the union guy now.

Yeah, it's been nine years since ALP have had a chance to get a bum on a seat, they've all aged out.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Animal Friend posted:

if you want to know more about Bosi and whats going on here this article explains a lot

What the heck

64 minute read lol

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

Jesus, thanks, that's a good article

realbez posted:

What the heck

64 minute read lol

this is a weird take

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

this is a weird take

Bucky you posted that exact goddam medium thesis in December

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

this is a weird take

Thought this was your essay

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

Yeah it's insane. They also keep knocking back minimum wage and award increases because they're all lib cronies that play golf and do gently caress all else.

Honestly the minimum wage should be automatically indexed to CPI or something. (Even if the index is negative btw)

It's criminal that the poorest people need to constantly fight to not go backwards.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
There's absolutely no justification for a fixed travel allowance in 2022.

You have a corp credit card, whatever you spend goes on it. If you had to spend your own money you make an expense claim. Why is this different for politicians?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Bucky are you OK, are you OK bucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

abigserve posted:

There's absolutely no justification for a fixed travel allowance in 2022.

You have a corp credit card, whatever you spend goes on it. If you had to spend your own money you make an expense claim. Why is this different for politicians?

Plenty of businesses and organisations run fixed travel allowances. $280 a day or whatever it is isn't light years difference from what I'd perceive as standard which is $100-200 a day, but that's with paid for accommodation.